Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DIAL C FOR CHRISTMAS  (Read 23686 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:DIAL C FOR CHRISTMAS
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2004, 08:15:43 AM »

And I did!

Underpants.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2004, 08:21:30 AM »

I'm pasting this article from today's VARIETY with some interesting information on upcoming DVD releases from Warners:

"Warner will release a parade of classic films on DVD in time for Easter, including "Easter Parade."
"Easter Parade" and "The Band Wagon," two oft-requested musicals starring Fred Astaire, will make their DVD debut March 15 as two-disc special editions featuring meticulously restored versions of the movie, a new Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack and lots of bonus features.

Astaire's last musical, "Finian's Rainbow," under the unlikely direction of Francis Ford CoppolaFrancis Ford Coppola and co-starring Petula Clark, will be released for the first time on March 15, along with two other films directed by "Band Wagon" helmer Vincente Minnelli, "Bells Are Ringing" and "Brigadoon," the latter in a newly remastered, widescreen edition.

Strike up the 'Band'

Liza Minnelli is among participants in the audio commentary on "Band Wagon," which co-stars Cyd Charisse. Judy Garland co-stars along with Astaire, Ann Miller and Peter Lawford in "Easter Parade," which features 17 Irving Berlin tunes. Bonus features include a new documentary on the making of the movie and a Garland musical number outtake.

The five titles will be available as a "Broadway to Hollywood -- Classic Musicals Collection" gift set ($59.92) and separately at $26.99 for each of the two double-disc DVDs and $19.97 for the other three.

Making its DVD debut March 1 will be the classic screwball comedy "Bringing Up Baby," starring Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn.

"Baby" will be introduced as a two-disc special edition that includes bios on Hepburn and filmmaker George Cukor.

"The Philadelphia Story," also starring Grant and Hepburn with James Stewart, will be re-released on DVD simultaneously with "Baby" in a remastered two-disc special edition.

"Baby" includes audio commentary by Peter BogdanovichPeter Bogdanovich as well as two new docs, a featurefeature-length Cary Grant bio by Robert Trachtenberg and Richard Schickel's bio on filmmaker Howard Hawks.

Each of the previous two DVDs will be priced at $26.99. They also will be available in a gift set for $68.92, which includes the first-time DVD release of several other comedies of the era, "Libeled Lady," "To Be or Not to Be," "Stage Door" and "Dinner at Eight."

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2004, 08:29:46 AM »

In today's Yes, it's politically incorrect and potentially (well, not even potentially) insensitive, but it makes me laugh anyway department:

I had Christmas cards one year with an old 50s ad image of a woman on the front clasping her head and screaming (I'm sure the original tag line was something like "Oh, no, not waxy yellow build-up!").  When you opened the card, it said "NO MORE CHRISTMAS MUSIC!!"  With that in mind, today's breaking news:

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20041216224409990002
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2004, 08:57:28 AM »

Thanks for the PEYTON PLACE, RETURN TO news yesterday DRMBARNUM.

Hmmmmmmmm......not sure how to fix your computer....mysterious.

VIBES for DRJOSE'S parents.

Great photo derBrucer.....Jose and Arthur!  Love when you wear "blacks" and you become a floating head.  Very mysterious!

Hmmmmmm......cd -  Innocence  & Despair The Langley Schools Project

DVD - Naked Youth + Teen Mania, a Johnny Legend DVD

VCR - the Betty Hutton interview.  DRJANE your copy is on the way!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2004, 09:02:32 AM »

MBARNUM here are some articles and answers that might help with your computer.   8)

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=42573&messageID=499136

Great Poster!  ;D

Emily

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2004, 09:07:46 AM »

Vibes for my last (HUZZAH!) exam of the term!!!

Media and Politics = ugghy amounts of reading and I'll need all the HHW help I can get :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2004, 09:11:42 AM »

Thanks for the link JRand54! And glad you got your Johnny Legend DVD! Carol Ohmart and her heroin doll!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2004, 09:13:27 AM »

I wonder if Filichia's rave will actually sell books.  Here it is, for those who don't like links so early in the morning:

"Books? There's Writer's Block by Bruce Kimmel, whom most of us know (and cherish) for giving us so many cast albums on Bay Cities and Varèse Sarabande. He's written three prior novels, all of them charming, but now he's taken on a mystery that -- huzzah! -- deals with a 1969 musical trying out in New Haven and Boston before braving Broadway. The show is called Bus and Truck, and -- in a slight homage to Me and Juliet -- it tells the struggle of doing eight a week, month after month. The producer, Conrad Ballinger, sounds suspiciously like David Merrick to me, and given director Galen Chapman's initials, he's certainly Gower Champion. Songwriter Stanley Sherman's might suggest Stephen Sondheim (it's a little too early for Stephen Schwartz) but given that the guy is said to have an ever-present Pall Mall cigarette in his mouth, he seems like either Frank Loesser or Bob Merrill to me. The librettist is Arthur Myerson (as opposed to Laurents?), and the stars are ol' pros Mary Masters and Robert O'Brien. (Who knows their identities? I do! I do!) And so it goes, all the way to costume designer Lottie Kunzel (a composite of Lucinda Ballard and Florence Klotz?) But enough of that. What's really important is that Writer's Block is a terrific mystery novel on every level. I sure didn't figure out whodidit, and I defy you to, too."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2004, 09:27:52 AM »

Well, it must have had some effect, because in just twelve hours we've gone from sales rank 554,000 to 133,000, quite a jump.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2004, 09:48:17 AM »

Wooohoooooooooooo for the sales spike!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2004, 09:49:52 AM »

Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, but how can I be the only poster in the last thirty-five minutes?  Skammen.  We are celebrating CHRISTMAS, dear peoples.

Jennifer, why don't you either cut and paste or provide the link to the Filichia thing on All That Chat.  May as well let the world know.  Just preface it with "Peter Filichia loves Bruce Kimmel's new theater-related mystery novel."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2004, 10:04:38 AM »

Wanted to comment on DR Matthew's question to DR Jose about HALLELUJAH, BABY! winning the Tony:

The 1967-68 Broadway season went down as one of the worst in history. Almost every musical introduced that season flopped and flopped badly. The two most successful musicals - GEORGE M! and HAIR both arrived at the end of the season and after Tony eligibility had expired, so they were lumped in with the shows for the following season. Had either of them been able to compete in 1968, HALLELUJAH BABY would not have won the Tony.

Its competition was THE HAPPY TIME, HOW NOW DOW JONES, and ILLYA DARLING, all flop musicals. THE HAPPY TIME won the direction, choreography, and Actor Tony Awards. DOW JONES won for its supporting actor, and ILLYA won nothing. I personally think THE HAPPY TIME had the better score, but that year, they didn't give a separate score award. The authors of the Best Musical automatically won a Tony. Oddly, in a career of fabulous stage scores, this was composer Jule Styne's only Tony win.

The best score of that season was, imho, the not-even-nominated (and with music also by Jule Styne), DARLING OF THE DAY.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2004, 10:06:30 AM »

BTW, I have a special place in my heart for that season. I met the DP when I came to Toronto to see the ILLYA DARLING tryout.

JMK

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2004, 10:08:48 AM »

Heads up for any potential Percy Faith CD orderers:  as with Broadway Bouquet last year, there are unfortunately production errors on both Singles Vol. 1 and I Think I Love You.  Collectables/Oldies is being a bit cagey about this and I don't think you'll get the corrected versions unless you specifically ask for them.  They made the mistake of sending me the uncorrected versions (I have a sneaking suspicion they're going to try to unload these on unsuspecting buyers before moving onto their corrected product), but after a vaguely threatening email from me, they apologized and are sending the corrected versions to me.

Speaking of which, I'm listening to the singles-only bonus tracks on I Think I Love You and I must say the Theme from Emmanuelle is a virtual cancrizans of The Theme from Love Story.  They were both written by Francis Lai, and methinks Mr. Lai was attempting to reproduce some nice royalty change with his follow-up tune.  :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 10:10:23 AM by JMK »

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2004, 10:13:12 AM »

Re:  Hallelujah, Baby!  I've done "Talking to Yourself" for years at gigs and it never fails to get a strong response from audiences.  One of the great unsung (no pun intended) ballads of the Styne/Comden & Green ouevre.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2004, 10:13:25 AM »

I am listening to Esquivel's version of SNOWFALL...that has to be, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful pieces of music!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2004, 10:18:51 AM »

Vibes for DREMILY's final!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2004, 10:22:15 AM »

Thirteen users, five GUESTS, three posts.  What is wrong with this photograph?

Welcome, five GUESTS.  We're talkin' about CDs and DVDs.

Kerry

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2004, 10:23:31 AM »

Besides receiving a a wonderful autographed photo yesterday, I have also received (from another Hainsie/Kimmlet) the Hunky NY Firemen calendar.  I have trouble telling the photo from the calendar-- except the photo is black and white.  Otherwise, I would think it was part of the calendar.

I'm  listening to a variety of Christmas CD's-- everything from Brave Combo ( a trip in itself) to Maureen McGovern and a compilation CD I made for a friend.
I like boat races.

JMK

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2004, 10:24:01 AM »

Re:  Snowfall.  There are many beautiful recordings of this tune, MB.  Check out Claude Thornhill's original.  The Tigard Pops Choir has sung this many times in past years.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2004, 10:28:38 AM »

and speaking of Bollywood movies, I popped one into my DVD player and it wouldn't play. So I popped it into my computer and it played...then I tried to pop in another DVD into my computer and it wouldn't play...it seems that the Bollywood movie (that would not play in my DVD player) somehow changed my region code settings on the computer and now it won't play region 1 movies! And I can't figure out how to fix the darn thing!!!

I think it's a terrorist plot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2004, 10:40:09 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I slept until about 12:30... but considering I didn't really fall asleep until around 5:30...  My Mom was also up very late... She started putting some final touches on her Christmas decorations, as well as putting up some new pictures on the wall - she had dug out the hammer and nails...  I believe she's at the hospital right now with my father... I'll head over soon.

-And my cell phone is missing right now - I probably just left it in the car last night.

DR Hisaka - Domo arigato gozaimasu

Slowly, but surely, Arena Stage has started filling in the blanks of their HALLELUJAH, BABY! info page... At least the Who's Who.  -Just click on Who's Who, then click on a name for a bio and pic.  Press photos should be up next week.

http://www.arenastage.org/season/2004/hallelujah-baby/overview.shtml
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2004, 10:40:35 AM »

Re:  Snowfall.  There are many beautiful recordings of this tune, MB.  Check out Claude Thornhill's original.  The Tigard Pops Choir has sung this many times in past years.

The Manhattan Transfer also recorded a version of this song on their (now first) Christmas Album.  I think it's absolutely beautiful!  Of course, it's really the only recording of that song that I own and only one of a few that I've ever heard...but still!

And I didn't realize until now that the CD has been reissued and has bonus tracks...including another version of "Snowfall!"
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2004, 10:47:41 AM »

I have two versions of Claude Thornhill's SNOWFALL! I love 'em!!!

I have never heard a version with words, however!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 10:48:55 AM by MBarnum »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2004, 10:49:35 AM »

Dear Friend BK, congratulations on Peter's review!  I talked to him on Dec. 5, and I knew he'd received a copy.  I hope the sales go through the roof.

On another Filichia note (B-sharp), I'm dreading the new Mordden book to see what further incorrect information he has to say about JUBILLE and my 1986 restoration with Tommy Krasker.  He had everything wrong in his last book THE HAPPIEST CORPSE . .   We'll see.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2004, 10:53:08 AM »

I have two versions of Claude Thornhill's SNOWFALL! I love 'em!!!

I have never heard a version with words, however!

SNOWFALL
Lyrics by Ruth Thornhill; Music by Claude Thornhill

Snowfall
Softly
Gently drift down

Snowflakes
Whisper
'Neath my window

Covering trees
Misty lights
Velvet breeze
'Round my doorstep

Gently
Softly
Silent
Snowfall

Covering trees
Misty lights
Velvet breezes
'Neath my window

Gently
And softly
Silent
Snowfall

Drift down
Drift down
Drift down
Snowfall
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2004, 10:57:12 AM »

I'm waiting for Keith to take me to the airport.  The said airport was fogged in most of the morning but my flight should take off with only a short delay.

Emily good vibes on your finals!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2004, 10:59:24 AM »

Thank you JRand.  

I do hope I'm not missing any comments directed at me.  It is hard when you can't read most of the posts.

Today the tile should be finished, so far it it absolutely beautiful!

Bye.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2004, 11:03:16 AM »

DR Jose,
Keep in mind that the Bollywood movie you have is a 4 hanky movie...it is gonna make you cry! So unless a good cry is what you need then you may want to wait to view it!

(Although the scenes with the lead actor in his underwear will likely make you smile :o )

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2004, 11:03:50 AM »

Have a safe trip DR Jane!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up