Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DIAL C FOR CHRISTMAS  (Read 23691 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:DIAL C FOR CHRISTMAS
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2004, 11:07:20 AM »

And one for Mahler!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2004, 11:14:26 AM »

DR Jane,

Have a safe trip.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2004, 11:26:01 AM »

More vibes for Ann. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And Jose's family. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And final exam vibes for Emily. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I dare you to say "Underpants" in the middle of the test.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2004, 11:26:59 AM »

Gotta run.
And I wasn't even here.
So before I dash off to hither and yon and also from yon to hither:

Good health vibes to DR Ann!
Good health vibes to DR Jose's father!
Good job-hunting vibes to all as is job-hunting!
Good massive sales vibes to DW BK!
Tons of puns and tons of love to all and sun-dried!
Finals week... too much to do...
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2004, 11:27:25 AM »

underpants
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2004, 11:31:18 AM »

-18C is far too cold! :(

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2004, 11:38:59 AM »

20 minutes and I am oughta here (work that is!). Then over to Burger Basket for lunch with my buddy Mark and his new internet boyfriend from Seattle (they just made their aquaintence last night) and then off to finish my mission impossible, of which I will discuss further later.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2004, 11:57:53 AM »

Safe travel, DR Jane!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2004, 12:06:53 PM »

CAUTION! Vent coming...

Are people nastier this time of year or is it me? I'm driving along my nice little street in the City of Studio, looking for a parking spot (MY spot in front of the house was gone)...So I get to the STOP sign and neglect to look for Pedestrians - I admit it - I start through slowly and stop immediately - not a screech of brakes stop, I just stop - because I see a woman about to step off the curb. Okay? Got the picture? No drama, no one in danger. But this woman starts yelling at me, "You STUPID IDIOT! What were you going to do? Run me down?!" (An exact quote.)
So I roll down my window and say, "Hey, I'm sorry. But I really wouldn't have run you down. I saw you." But she keeps yelling like some insane banshee. So I just say, "And merry Christmas to you too.." and drive on. But she's ruined the little bit of good mood that I was clinging to.
...Underpants. Dirty ones. Around her head.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 12:08:28 PM by Panni »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2004, 12:11:47 PM »

DR VIXMOM: I’ve never seen/heard that,  It’s weird.  How did you find such a strange stuff "Japanese Lap Pillow Offers Solace to Lonely Men"???

When I opened my web browser it was the "daily headline" LOL!! Is it for real?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2004, 12:14:29 PM »

In my CD player at work:  The Manhattan Transfer's "An Acapella Christmas" (from Japan!).  After that will be "A Broadway Christmas" then "A Hollywood Christmas," both recorded by our very own BK!!

In my DVD player:  the released for the first time ever "Cinderella" with Julie Andrews.  After that...nothing until "What If?"

In my VCR:  nothing.  I watched The Apprentice last night.  I agree with Jennifer when she wrote:
I was not surprised by the outcome.  But I was not happy with it.

Especially how Trump went into the audience before making his decision.   It was very obvious to me who most of those people were going to support.
I, too, was disappointed with the choice of Kelly.  But what can you do?

I was surprised that they announced last night that the entire third season has been filmed...all they have to actually do is make the final choice.  It doesn't start until January.  Just a little more than a month away!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 12:15:58 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2004, 12:23:23 PM »

Thirteen users, five GUESTS, three posts.  What is wrong with this photograph?

Welcome, five GUESTS.  We're talkin' about CDs and DVDs.

Got home from my party last night to find that the gas furnance, the four year old, $4000 gas  furnance wasn't working

at 10 oclock
at night
in December
in New York

I won't give you all the torid details but I had severla unhappy phone calls with people  who tried to extort huge sums of $$ from me which ended with the phone connection being suddenly cut (by me)

I finally, out of desperation, grabbed the local rag,  The South Bay and there in the center of the advertisements was "24 Furnace Repair call AL"

so I did.

Al graciously gcame first thing this morning and fixed my furnance for the very reasonable sum of $135

But I lost the whole of the morning at work and am now missing the company Christmas party so I bid you all adieu!!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2004, 12:38:23 PM »

Jose and Arthur (Jose has no tie)!

der Brucer

On the show - let's just say it's not ready for New York.
I'm gonna be feisty and persnickety and tell the world: Der B did not take these pictures!  In fact, he left the camera in the car, and I had to run back and get it during intermission.  The photos were taken by MOI!  (A Muppets reference, for no reason at all.)

If Mr. Laurents hadn't been in a bit of a rush to leave, Jose was going to take a pic of Mr. Laurents and myself, as well.  We'd already agreed on how it should be taken: Mr. Laurents would be framed quite well in the shot, and my head would be cut off somewhere around the neck.  I really do tower over the man.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2004, 12:43:18 PM »

I'm working at one of the offices I sometimes go to. It's a shlep getting here, but there are some excellent Chinese markets in the area. I popped out at lunch to buy some bok choy, ginger, and very fresh-looking squid. The squid's in the office fridge - I just hope I remember to bring it home.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2004, 12:46:16 PM »

TOD:

DVD: I've watched some of the extras on the LotR:tRotK set.  Yesterday we were busy, so I didn't get to watch any more of it.  But we did have a good excuse.

CDs in the car:
The Beatles Yellow Submarine Songtrack
A recording of Holst's The Planets
Wicked
A concept recording of A Tale of Two Cities, which I hope I'll only hear the once.
Mason Williams' Music: 1968 - 1971
Our Private World: Sally Mayes sings Comden and Green, which BK produced (of course)
Stephen Schwartz' Reluctant Pilgrim.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2004, 12:46:31 PM »

CDs: "Beyond The Sea" - Kevin Spacey
         "Aces Back To Back" - Bobby Darin
         "Best Of The Brothers Four"
DVD:  "Aces Back To Back"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2004, 12:48:58 PM »

MBARNUM on an impossible mission.....hmmmmmmmm

Nice photos DRSWW!  Giving credit where credit is due.

Yes DRPANNI people are a bit crispy right now.  I was at the Post Office this morning and it was a bit like it must have been when they were loading the last lifeboat on the Titanic.

DRKERRY - the autographed picture is of WHOM?  Enquiring minds demand to know.....and let's see a scan!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2004, 12:49:43 PM »

Squid in the fridge?  Going to a hockey game tonight?

Oh, no....no NHL this season....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Tomovoz

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2004, 12:50:41 PM »

"The Squid In The Office Fridge".  I'll wait for the musical.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2004, 01:00:40 PM »

Good afternoon all

Well, I will say this about my life...it never gets boring.  I headed out to my car this morning to go to work, and I noticed that the locks were up...I found this odd, since I NEVER leave my car open.  Moving closer I could see that the interior was in shambles...the glove compartment open and everything taken out, things tossed about, they'd emptied my trash holder all over...it was a mess.  Thinking "Well, at least they jimmied the lock instead of breaking the window.." I began to clean stuff up.  I began to realize that nothing really seemed to be missing...just strewn about.  They had left all my chorale music, thank god, my cd's...even my discman that was in the car...still there.  What did they take, you might ask?  Well I'll tell you.  First, they took my new CSI board game that my friend had given me for Christmas.  We'd exchanged presents in the car and I'd neglected to take it in with me.  Second, they took the two bottles of liquor I'd had in there left over from a party.  Annoying things to lose, but nothing that breaks my heart.  But then I remembered one other item not yet accounted for.  My laundry.  Yes, my laundry.  I'd placed it in the car with the intention of using the machines at work yesterday...however my boss was out of laundry soap, so I hadn't been able to do it.  Not wanting to leave things lying around someone else's house, I'd decided to put the basket back in the car, buy some soap on the way to work today, and do it this afternoon.  But alas, that is not to be.  For all my clothes are now gone...and it was a fair amount, including both of my pairs of jeans, my two favorite workout pants, and a beautiful white sweater that I've only had a few weeks.  This does not please me...no it does not please me at all.  But more than anything, it just baffles me...why would anyone take my dirty laundry???

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2004, 01:02:07 PM »

Mr BK writes in his notes that he is a vixen, however I think I present Exhibit A here to say that THIS is a vixen!   :o

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2004, 01:03:49 PM »

DRANN - that is a MYSTERY!

Someone is playing your game, drinking your booze, and wearing your jeans!  I am appalled.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2004, 01:05:31 PM »

I'll tell you what they were after, Ann. Underpants!

But look at the bright side. Now you get to go shopping.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2004, 01:05:37 PM »

I'm dreading the new Mordden book to see what further incorrect information he has to say about JUBILLE and my 1986 restoration with Tommy Krasker.  He had everything wrong in his last book THE HAPPIEST CORPSE . .   We'll see.

I generally love his books, but I thought THE HAPPIEST CORPSE was by far the weakest of the lot: unfocused, rambling, and with weird evaluations of shows. I wouldn't know about the errors of which you speak, DR elmore, but the entire book just seemed WAY OFF.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2004, 01:13:37 PM »

Re Hallelujah Baby:

Der B said it best last night on the way home: "If I were a critic, my lead paragraph would read A train wreck occured last night.  Fortunately, since none of the cars were connected, no one was seriously hurt."

I'm not familiar with the original Hallelujah Baby, but this revisal simply does not work.  It is disjointed, not only not connecting with the audience but with itself as well.  And the blame for this is mostly Mr. Laurents'.  He speeds from moment to moment, with little time givin to explain how we get from point A to point B, which is on another track entirely.  Cardboard characters popped in and out, which is great when portraying a cardboard villian, but not so great when they're supposed to be supporting heros.  Situations just "happened," instead of being led into.

Worse, the heroine, Georgina, is as cardboard as the rest.  She decides that, to raise her position in life, she's going to become an entertainment star.  Hasn't that cliche gone past hoary?  Not to mention elitist, as comparatively few people work in the entertainment industry in any capacity.  It would have been far more interesting if she had become a businesswoman, working her way up to independency first by working for others, then by striking out on her own.  But I guess that would have eliminated the easy show-biz parodies, none of which landed last night.

The songs were mostly great.  The diction used to sing them was less so.  

The set was a central playing area with tacky projections on a scrim behind, with part of the band visable through the scrim at various times for no reason whatsoever.  (Jose was tucked off to the side where we couldn't see him; the musical director was centrally placed at a piano, flashing a big smile every time he could shuck and jive.)  The cast of nine was swamped by the overly-wide stage, with no place to hide.  The lighting was spotty, the sound gave out at inopportune moments...

There were enough good moments sprinkled through the evening that I enjoyed myself, so the time was not entirely wasted.  Ann Duquesnay, as Momma, knocked the house flat with her rendition of "I Don't Know Where She Got It," and Curtiss l' Cook was good as the major love interest.  But Suzanne Douglas lacked the attraction necessary to be the star of the show.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2004, 01:13:49 PM »

After having such a pleasant experience with MR. MAGOO'S CHRISTMAS CAROL last night, I plopped IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN, CHARLIE BROWN in the DVD player this afternoon. I know, I'm about two months late, but I was in the midst of the SOMETHING'S AFOOT run and the beginning of NUNCRACKERS rehearsals when the time was ripe to watch it in season.

Anyway, I was absolutely stunned by the color in this DVD transfer. This MUST be the most colorful Peanuts special ever - just luscious, rich fall colors that pop off the screen. When it was over, I wanted to sit and watch it again just to see those stunning hues, but I had other things to do so I resisted. In my catching-up mode, I guess I'll put on A CHARLIE BROWN THANSKGIVING tomorrow since I missed it, too, last month.

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2004, 01:16:12 PM »

My first Christmas party of the season to attend happens tonight. It's a drop-in, however, so I don't plan on staying long. In and out and back home to watch DVDs.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2004, 01:17:15 PM »

I'll tell you what they were after, Ann. Underpants!

But look at the bright side. Now you get to go shopping.

Well, if they were after cotton underpants, they suceeded.  :)

I am looking forward to shopping...one of the pairs of jeans was getting too big for me anyway.  And now I know exactly what my parents can get me for Christmas  ;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2004, 01:21:32 PM »

DR Ann - My car was broken into a few years ago too... They took my spare keyboard pedals and my tuxedo?!?!?!  Hmmm...

Best of Vibes to you!  *And just think of all the deals you can score on clothes at this time of year at the stores!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2004, 01:22:27 PM »

If I had to pick a single word to apply to our DR Jose, it would be "joyful."  He is filled with joy, and raises the spirits of those he is with.  

We had planned on dinner somewhere hear Pentagon City, but traffic was so jammed up that we instead dined at a seafood restaurant a jaywalk away from the theater.  This didn't phase him one iota.  The conversation sparkled.  Even with so much happening in his life right now that would bring others of us down, he was bright and pure pleasure to spend time with.

Continued vibes, Jose, for you and yours:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up