Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS  (Read 42966 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS
« Reply #210 on: December 22, 2004, 09:17:31 PM »

Had a lovely time tonight at the dinner and gift exchange. Came home with Spielberg's DUEL and Forman's RAGTIME, and I'll look forward to seeing them, but neither will replace THE SNAKE PIT in the DVD player. Should get to it tomorrow or Friday.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: December 22, 2004, 09:18:35 PM »

Welcome five GUESTS.  We're talkin' about all sorts of things.  And if one of the GUESTS is you-know-who - oh, well, game's over.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #212 on: December 22, 2004, 09:44:31 PM »

Hello, fellow dear readers. We just got home from our whirlwind trip to the LA area. I will have to devote quite a bit of time to catching up.

It was wonderful to see DRJay and BK again, and to finally meet DR Panni and Rachel.

DR Jay took us out for a lovely evening for dinner and Christmas light viewing. We saw "Plaid Tidings" in Pasadena, and we had a chance to go birding with our former temporary minister. And, we bought a small Christmas tree (artificial) and hauled it all the way home.

I will have to catch up on notes and posts. I gather that Echo is having a tough time. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Keith, Jane.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #213 on: December 22, 2004, 09:52:48 PM »

...I just got an e-mail from my high school chorus teacher.  And she found me through my posts here on HHW!  Cool!

-And, no, her name is not "Cora".

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #214 on: December 22, 2004, 10:09:40 PM »

That is because "Cora" is not a she.  Oops.  

Dear reader Laura, please tell dear reader and daughter Sandra that her sordid candies were brilliant and I et them all in one sitting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: December 22, 2004, 10:10:06 PM »

And dear reader Jose, I have looked in vain for this year's supply of yummilicious cookies.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #216 on: December 22, 2004, 10:16:28 PM »

BK, I certainly will.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #217 on: December 22, 2004, 10:17:00 PM »

I am still trying to catch up on notes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #218 on: December 22, 2004, 10:37:33 PM »

And dear reader Jose, I have looked in vain for this year's supply of yummilicious cookies.

Mea culpa, mea culpa.  Mea maxima culpa.

-Careful, I actually might like the whip!

:o

In any case...

I had every intention of baking earlier week, but the weather - icy roads - and family obligations - father in the hospital - kind of re-determined my schedule.  *I just can't seem to bake here at my parents' house anymore - they just don't have the right stuff up here (bowls, measuring cups and spoons, stand mixer, etc.).

However, I'd be more than happy to send you some cookies next week since I will definitely be baking once if not twice this weekend.  And I'll even offer to throw in a pound cake too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #219 on: December 22, 2004, 10:42:54 PM »

In the meantime, here's the recipe.  Maybe some very kind Hungarian will bake you up a batch and walk them over to you. ;)

Chocolate Chip Toffee Oatmeal Cookies
Based on a recipe of Wayne Harley Brachman

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups rolled (old-fashioned) oats
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup toffee bits (Skor, Heath, etc.)

Set 2 racks in the middle and upper thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, oats, and pecans together with a whisk or fork.

In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together for 30 seconds until blended. Beat in the egg until smooth and barely fluffy. With mixer running on medium high, drizzle in the maple syrup until incorporated.

Turn the mixer down to its lowest setting and gradually add the flour-oatmeal mixture. Blend just to combine, then mix in the chocolate chips and toffee bits by hand.

Drop walnut-sized balls of dough onto a nonstick or parchment-lined cookie sheet at 3-inch intervals. With moistened fingers, flatten and round out the cookies a little.

Bake for 9 minutes, turning the pan once for even baking. The cookies are done when they are lightly browned on top. Set the cookie sheets on a rack to cool.
Yield: about 36 cookies

Jose’s Notes:

These cookies can very easily made by hand - just make sure to cream your sugar and butter well.  -I've gotten spoiled by my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer.

The parchment paper comes in very handy.  You can prepare additional sheets of cookies while the previous batch is baking.  Once you take the first batch out of the oven, just transfer the cookies, parchment and all, to the cooling racks, then slide the “new” cookies on to the baking sheets, and pop them in the oven.  Less clean up with the parchment too!

Use good ole Quaker Oats. However, do not use the Quick-Cooking variety - the texture will not be as good in the finished product.

I prefer using the Ghiradelli Double Chocolate Chips.  I also usually add a teaspoon or two of chocolate extract (if you can find it) along with the vanilla - it adds a nice "depth" to the cookie.

And, yes, there's only one stick of butter and one egg for the whole batch!  -And I find I usually get about 40-44 out of the recipe.

If you don't feel like making a whole batch at once, just scoop out the balls and freeze them.  When you're in the mood for some cookies, just preheat the oven, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, put the frozen cookie dough balls onto the parchment, and pop them into the oven.  Add about 2 to 3 minutes to the cooking time.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #220 on: December 22, 2004, 10:45:37 PM »

To think I felt guilty eating all of Dear Reader Sandra's gift to me of sordid sweets in two days!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: December 22, 2004, 10:50:59 PM »

We love sordid candies.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #222 on: December 22, 2004, 10:51:46 PM »

Thanks to all the DR's the help on my Harvey Girls question! I have napped much of the day away after getting all tuckered out from sledding so I will be up for awhile.

. I just went to let the dog out and she came bounding back in because the snow was up to her chest and she did not like that one bit!

My dad works for a construction company who does lots of plowing in the winter so he is out right now plowing all the housing additions. Since I am up anyway, if he stops by to take a short break I might go out with him to help keep him awake. On the plus side, he is making tons of overtime which can definitely be used this time of year! (Especially with two kids in college.)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #223 on: December 22, 2004, 10:56:39 PM »

I feel lke I am giving a play by play of this snow storm to the board!!!!
There is no music without silence, only noise...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #224 on: December 22, 2004, 10:58:27 PM »

We love sordid candies.

Hmmm... I sense a new e-business starting up!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #225 on: December 22, 2004, 11:07:36 PM »

Just came back from seeing Million Dollar Baby. A beautiful movie. An old-fashioned (in the good sense) film with a story that goes to unexpected places. Beautiful performances, a fine script.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #226 on: December 22, 2004, 11:09:11 PM »

Squatting in the snow can be a delicate business.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #227 on: December 22, 2004, 11:12:10 PM »

***Good vibes to Echo and Macgregor!***

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #228 on: December 22, 2004, 11:13:55 PM »

Well, I've actually been back for some time.  After the movie, I ate and then helped a friend wrap Christmas presents for her children.  A single mother with three kids (two under the age of seven) has very little "alone time" to wrap gifts that are supposed to be from Santa. ::)  Anyway, after that I went to my sister's house to help my niece wrap her gifts for her mother (my sister).  THEN, I came home, got on the computer and my housemate needed to get on the computer...he doesn't have his own and he goes to bed much earlier that I do.  I watched an episode of "South Park" and then "Who's Line Is It Anyway?" before he finished and went to bed.  I've finally caught up with all the posts.  How's that for a day? :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: December 22, 2004, 11:18:10 PM »

Welcome five GUESTS.  We do hope you're having a lovely Christmas season.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #230 on: December 22, 2004, 11:37:01 PM »

Well, I got lots o' things to do tomorrow...

See you then.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #231 on: December 22, 2004, 11:49:52 PM »

In regards to : (you can click on the picture!)

I agree with everything that Elmore wrote.

I didn't think about it when I was watching it, but after reading Jay's opinions about Sound design, Set design and set decoration, Cinematography and Acting, I totally agree with him.

I also really liked the black and white sections in 1917 and when it becomes color, we're transported back to 1870s (I forget the exact year).  

There were some minor lyric changes (don't ask for specifics...I don't remember) that I thought were improvements.  At one point, the Phantom mentions his mother.  I thought that it fit the moment and I wonder if any lyric changes might be added to stage productions.

I thought that Gerard Butler relied on pop (music) inflections that made his "opera singing" not real operatic...and a bit distracting to me.  It seemed to me that Emmy Rossum spoke with an American accent and sang with a very pronounced British accent.  Patrick Wilson was too American.  He sang and enunciated as if he were speaking.  There were times when he was saying "to" and pronounced it "tuh."  I though that his pronunciations could have been a little more deliberate...if that makes sense. :-\
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 11:54:42 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #232 on: December 22, 2004, 11:49:55 PM »

I finally got caught up with yesterday's posts.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

« Reply #233 on: December 22, 2004, 11:59:14 PM »

Just a FYI regarding the POTO movie.

Patrick Wilson is the son of one of our local newsmen.

I'm still not sure if I want to go see the movie or not.  I'm very unhappy with what I've heard on the net.  The Phantom sounds horrible.  Just horrible.

Danise, it's not "horrible."  It's actually better than I thought it would be, but not as good as I wanted it to be.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up