Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS  (Read 43050 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS
« on: December 21, 2004, 11:59:16 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're leaping like the Lords, and now it is time for you to post until the leaping cows come home to their leaping Lords (or Lizards).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 12:00:37 AM by bk »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:SPREADING CHRISTMAS JOY LIKE A FUNGUS
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 12:14:58 AM »

So George...feel like sending on that copy of What If??  ;D ;D ;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 12:23:11 AM »

I posted the last post of yesterday (a very quick review of the revue "What If?") but having just literally finished watching it and typing furiously to post it before the end of the day (although, I don't know why I felt the need to have it posted yesterday), I made a few typos.  I'd like to repost what I wrote and correct a couple of things.  The bold sections are the corrections:

I LOVED THE "WHAT IF?" REVUE!!  I just watched it all the way through (with only one break to go to the bathroom...sorry, I didn't prepare).  Anyway, I loved the quieter, more serious songs in amongst all the hilarity, which was quite hilarious.  And as for the mugging in the one particular song...never having seen it performed before, I didn't think it was excessive, except for the last beat and the vocalization on it.  I thought that that did not fit at all.  But the rest of [ his performance of ]that song was not bad.  Overall, the whole show was quite delightful.  So, BK, when's the CD coming out??  How about a songbook at least?

The only real problem that I had was with the actual DVD itself.  The words printed on it (not the hand written "DVD") smeared a bit. :-\ I have the L.A. Theatre Works live recording of Working on CD and it did the same thing.  It was literally almost an entire year before it dried and no longer smeared.  I hate that part.  That's the only negative about the whole thing.  SO ALL YOU OTHER RECIPIENTS, BE CAREFUL AND DON'T SMEAR THE LABEL!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 12:29:07 AM »

So George...feel like sending on that copy of What If??  ;D ;D ;D

Yes, I must...I really must!  (a Little Night Music reference!)

Just send me your address and if anyone else wants to watch it, you Ann could send it on to the next person, and whoever is the last to watch it could send it back to me...please!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 12:46:42 AM »

Geez, I haven't thought of Spiro Agnew in - it must be - days. But today's notes reminded me of his signature phrase, "nattering nabobs of negativity." And I can't get the fershluganah phrase out of my head!
And on that note (F-sharp) -- Goodnight.

George

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 01:07:54 AM »

Well, I'm saying good night.  "Good Night."  I'll be errant and truant all day today.  My niece and I are driving up to Lakewood (only about 30 miles away) to see the first showing of the movie "The Phantom of the Opera."  I'm taking the whole day off from work.  Then I am going to help a friend wrap a whole sh**load of presents for her two daughters (aged six and eight).  After that, I don't know...we'll see.  I'm sure I'll eat a couple of times tomorrow, but who knows where or when? or what?  Again, good night!  And also again, I LOVED "WHAT IF?"!! :-*

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 01:44:23 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm......well......I do have a question.  When there is a music team and one member writes the music, say Richard Rodgers, and the other writes the lyrics, say Oscar Hammerstein II - I assume they have a standard royalty agreement for recordings.

But in the case of an instrumental album of JUST the music from a show, say SOUTH PACIFIC, in which the lyrics are not sung.....would Hammerstein also collect a royalty?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 01:44:41 AM »

I really don't know exactly what to say.

I do know that der B and I are the kind of friends that drive several hours into NYC because a friend of ours is giving a book-signing/reading there and we wanted to support him.  (And we now owe him dinner.  Either of my own hand or footing the bill elsewhere, depending on the circumstances.)

I do know that we have been slurred with the word "acolyte," because we are that kind of friend.  No, wait, we might not be, because neither of us have written that kind of "rave review" of his book (in fear of his excoriatting us publicly if we don't write a positive review, I guess).  But then, we would rather write BK personally, or talk with him personally, about the faults of the book, than post those problems on the Internet.  I would expect the same from him, if either of us to publish a book.  And I would expect him to be as honestly supportive in print in public, while weilding a scalpel in private.  That is what friends do.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 01:46:19 AM »

We also like to drive into DC, or a bit further than Philly, for friends.  That's what drives friendship.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 01:52:57 AM »

Something interesting happened on the home front tonight.  I discovered that der Brucer hasn't yet watched the film called Footloose.

The DVd of the film was on sale at Walmart, so I added it to our cart.  Der B asked "Isn't it about what happens at a summer camp?"  No, I replied, he was thinking of Dirty Dancing.

When we finally got home, after a couple of other shopping stops, I put one of the tracks on for him to watch, the dancing that goes with "Let's Hear It For the Boy."  It's going to be fun watching der B watch the entire film, because he really enjoyed that one song.

That wasn't too negative an observation, was it?  Or should I be more negative?  It's hard to tell, not being a true blue acolyte.  And if I'm not a true blue acolyte, what color should I be?

Just curious.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 12:54:44 PM by S. Woody White »

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 03:50:06 AM »

DR DER BRUCER: Oh, yes.  There're many roses not only with female name but also with male’s one, and I found "Chevy Chase" on my rose catalogue. It's a sort of ramblers.  I like him Chevy but I prefer more romantic name for roses, like Radio Times, Moon Shadow, Tears of Black Pearl…..

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2004, 04:04:41 AM »

Hello All! I am on break so hopefully I'll have time to stop by more often these next few weeks. We are getting quite a bit of snow! By the time it's over we should have about a foot here. Several of my friends who live in Southern Indiana (not far from Cincinatti) are going to end up with about 2 feet!!
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Michael

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 04:57:37 AM »

Thanks to all those you posted corrections.  Not all the entries were originally mine. But I did it late last night and your brain knows what it should say and sometimes you just miss the mistakes.

I do appreciate all the extra eyes.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 05:14:01 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm......well......I do have a question.  When there is a music team and one member writes the music, say Richard Rodgers, and the other writes the lyrics, say Oscar Hammerstein II - I assume they have a standard royalty agreement for recordings.

But in the case of an instrumental album of JUST the music from a show, say SOUTH PACIFIC, in which the lyrics are not sung.....would Hammerstein also collect a royalty?

Yes, DRJRand54, they both get the royalty since it wouldn't be a song without the two of them!  Also, when the piece is registered with ASCAP or BMI, both writers are credited with their percentage of royalty and the same with their publisher.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 05:25:22 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 05:18:53 AM »

That wasn't too negative an observation, was it?  Or should I be more negative?  It's hard to tell, not being a true blue acolyte.  And if I'm not a true blue acolyte, what color should I be?

Just curious.

In this holiday season, I prefer green and red.

I wanted to add, DRSWW, how happy I was that you and Der Brucer drove up to New York for the BK festivities (swallow that, Cora!) and how much I enjoyed meeting you both.  I'm sorry that such a wide driving distance separates us because I, for one, would love to sample some of your cooking!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2004, 05:19:01 AM »

Bruce posted late last night

Quote from: DERBRUCER on Today at 12:08:48am
YOU ASKED FOR IT:

Biography:
Bruce Kimmel has had a long and varied career. He wrote, directed and starred in the cult movie hit, The First Nudie Musical. He performed those same duties on his second film The Creature Wasn't Nice (a.k.a. Naked Space), with Leslie Nielsen, Cindy Williams and Patrick Macnee. He also co-created the story for the hit film, The Faculty, directed by Robert Rodriguez.

COMMENT: In the second sentence you set off “The First Nudie Musical” with a comma;  in the thirs sentence, you do not set off  “The Creature Wasn’t Nice” with a comma. I would prefer a comma before “the Creature….”.

In the second sentence, I would prefer the alternate spelling of the word "thirs" - "third".    

DR DERBRUCER also wrote

NOTES:

•  Bruce has his own website that he blogs every day. www.haineshisway.com Also the Bruce Kimmel tribute site www.brucekimmel.com

COMMENT:
“Blog is not a verb.  After day there should be a comma, not a period. Need a period after .com (end of sentence). Might try: “Bruce has his own website, www.haineshisway.com, on which he keeps a daily blog and maintains a dialog with his cyber friends. There is also a Bruce Kimmel tribute site, www.brucekinnel.com.”  

I rather not change the name of my website. I think I will keep it www.brucekimmel.com

But thank you for contributions. It interesting when I went back to make some of the corrections the problems weren't there!!

AGAIN THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE THAT HELPED!!!!!!!!!!

Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2004, 05:20:36 AM »

Hello All! I am on break so hopefully I'll have time to stop by more often these next few weeks. We are getting quite a bit of snow! By the time it's over we should have about a foot here. Several of my friends who live in Southern Indiana (not far from Cincinatti) are going to end up with about 2 feet!!

DRJoey, I've had two feet for years, also two hands, two ears, etc.  Oh God, I sound like Francois!

Where did all your hair go?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 05:21:29 AM by elmore3003 »

Michael

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 05:21:26 AM »

Several of my friends who live in Southern Indiana (not far from Cincinatti) are going to end up with about 2 feet!!

Glad to hear that your friends will have two feet. That way they won't hobble around during the holidays.

No Groaning here at HHW
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004, 05:22:04 AM »

DRJoey, I've had two feet for years, also two hands, two ears, etc.  Oh God, I sound like Francois!

Damn! Larry beat me to the punchline!
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2004, 05:23:12 AM »

Glad to hear that your friends will have two feet. That way they won't hobble around during the holidays.

No Groaning here at HHW

Beat you!  Hee hee hee ;D

Michael

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2004, 05:27:10 AM »

My question for BK for today.

If you were asked to chose up to five titles from each of the genres of your recordings (Cast Recordings, Jazz, Vocals, Broadway Related, Film Related, Spoken Word) to place in an time capsule that would openned 100 years from now, which ones would you choose? They do not necessarily have to be your favorite or the best recordings you have produced, but ones that would be significant examples of the respective genres to listeners 100 years from now.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 05:29:50 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2004, 05:30:37 AM »

Beat you!  Hee hee hee ;D

I beat you to saying that you beat me.  Hee Hee
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2004, 05:33:03 AM »

I beat you to saying that you beat me.  Hee Hee

Touche!

Michael

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2004, 05:39:22 AM »

I finally watch Julie Andrews' Cinderella the other day. I had seen it at the Broadcast museum years ago. I was wondering why the couldn't have colorized it digitally. Since it was originally Broadcast in color it would be like what Ted Turner was doing B & W films some years back
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2004, 05:41:06 AM »

Well I am off to work. I will try to sign in during a break.
Never stop dreaming.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2004, 05:48:21 AM »

I cut it all off about a month ago. I was just growing it out for Halloween and I cut it off as soon as I had the extra money in November. (The life of a poor college student!:))

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2004, 05:52:07 AM »

I was at Suncoast Motion Picture Company when I was at the mall the other day when I came across The First Nudie Musical on DVD! I was excited to see it and almost bought it, but I had already spent too much between Meet Me in St. Louis and Broadway: The American Musical. I have to save some money back to get running shoes for my marathon training so it will have to wait.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 05:58:57 AM by Joey »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2004, 06:19:36 AM »

Geez, I haven't thought of Spiro Agnew in - it must be - days. But today's notes reminded me of his signature phrase, "nattering nabobs of negativity." And I can't get the fershluganah phrase out of my head!
And on that note (F-sharp) -- Goodnight.

A winner of the 1978 Pulitzer Prize, William Safire also served as a Nixon speechwriter, where he authored the famous phrase -- ''nattering nabobs of negativism" -- that Vice President Spiro Agnew used to describe administration critics. Although the term was interpreted to have been aimed at the profession in which Safire spent much of his life, he said yesterday he was misunderstood. ''It wasn't directed at the press," Safire maintained. ''It was directed at pessimists."

(That's funny. I thought it was directed at optimists.)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2004, 06:26:34 AM »

If I have my time zones correct, Jay's up early and Hisaka's up late. Have a good day/night everyone.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2004, 06:33:45 AM »

From today's NY Times review (by A.O. Scott) of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.

"... you will have to go back to Rupert Julian's 1925 version, which starred Lon Chaney as the phantom. That film, long regarded as a classic, has a great many virtues, two of which seem especially relevant at the moment: it is 93 minutes long, and it is silent."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up