Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: I DO! I DO!  (Read 81684 times)

MBarnum

Re:I DO! I DO!
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2005, 11:16:16 AM »

Ann-LOL & too cute.

Michael next time I’m in Portland you will have to meet Bryan’s Sugar Gliders.

Oh, definitely! I want to see some in real life!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2005, 11:18:52 AM »

der Brucer, my Princess of Mars script, despite its cult status among Burroughs aficianados, is a dead issue.  It was the very first one written for Disney years ago, many have followed in its wake, to get that script out of Disney would cost a lot, for Disney would try to apply so much of its development costs against it.  I also know a guy who works closely with the director and has been informed of my script.  I'm sure if he was interested, he would get a copy...but it ain't going to happen.

MBarnum

« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2005, 11:22:32 AM »

Page 5 dance!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2005, 11:24:12 AM »

I am listening to the soundtrack to BRIDE AND PREJUDICE on Raaga.com...I like..I think I will need to buy the CD.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2005, 11:25:41 AM »

DERBRCER where did you live that you didn’t have kindergarten?  I almost purchased a Dick and Jane 2005 calendar.

We lived in a new strip of houses on the edge of a large chicken farm in Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania - the six-room elementary school adjoined a large dairy farm in Bethayres, Pennsylvania. (My folks wanted to move out of the city (Philadelphia) becasue it was thought too dangerous during the war - so we moved to the country - 200 yards from a giant Budd plant that pioneered steel auomotive bodies,
moved on to steel railroad locomtoives and cars:

and was now building tanks for the US Army.

It is not clear why living a stones throw from a major miltary production facility was deemed safer than living in a Philly row-house.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2005, 11:25:47 AM »

and this is Petrie.  I had to crop this pic quite a bit to keep it G-rated...Petrie likes to sleep in my bra...   :D

And now we finally know the real reason for the crash into the ditch!   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Danise

« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2005, 11:30:21 AM »

I guess it's a good thing the police didn't frisk or arrest  you--they would have been in for a real surprise !  

;D  :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 11:32:08 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2005, 11:30:42 AM »

What a pair of cuties!

Nicely timed post Danise - right after Ann posts pics of the Gilders in her bra!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2005, 11:33:27 AM »

DERBRUCER the elementary school my boys went to in Richboro, Pennsylvania had originally been the only school in the area.  Parents of my children’s friends talked about going all through school there.  At the time I thought that included kindergarten, maybe not.

Danise

« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2005, 11:34:14 AM »

I didn't mean for that to happen the way it did.   :-[
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2005, 11:35:05 AM »

der Brucer, my Princess of Mars script, despite its cult status among Burroughs aficianados, is a dead issue.  It was the very first one written for Disney years ago, many have followed in its wake, to get that script out of Disney would cost a lot, for Disney would try to apply so much of its development costs against it.  

And I presume that if you attempted to write a "new" Princess of Mars script, they would claim it was a rehash of the one they now own.

der Brucer (wondering how many other works of quality are being held hostage?)

Jennifer

« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2005, 11:47:47 AM »

DR Ann, I think I was confused with the pet rat you used to have and post pics of here.  Although from the pics it looks like a baby squirrel.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2005, 11:56:39 AM »

I'm back from our little rehearsal with Mr. Kevin Spirtas - I took a splendidly splendid photograph of him, which I'll share with you when the Powerbook is up and running tomorrow.  

Darling Ann, your New Year's resolution will be to STOP driving into ditches, and only have wonderful things happen.

The rain seems to have stopped.  I guess my being officially over it helped.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2005, 11:57:16 AM »

Remember Sally getting folded up in the umbrella?

I remember in first grade that the teacher collected all of our Dick and Jane readers and redistributed new copies.  It was the same exact book, except a few of Dick and Jane's friends were suddenly black.  It was a culture shock for the less sophisticated kids in the class.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2005, 12:01:20 PM »

I bought my first computer, an IBM clone, in the early 90s. I was procrastinating, but then a friend's daughter got one for her Bas Mitzvah, and I figured I deserved one at least as much.

I quickly mastered all the Word Perfect function keys. Although I've moved on to Word, I'm convinced there are certain tasks that I performed more efficiently in WP 5.0 than I now do in Word.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2005, 12:04:07 PM »

DR Jennifer, to do Telnet:

Open a command prompt, type "telnet" and hit enter.

I'm ignorant about telnet commands but if you type "/?" and hit enter, you should get a list of commands.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2005, 12:04:25 PM »

The sun! I see the sun! I'm officially into it, man.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2005, 12:05:20 PM »

I remember in first grade that the teacher collected all of our Dick and Jane readers and redistributed new copies.  It was the same exact book, except a few of Dick and Jane's friends were suddenly black.  It was a culture shock for the less sophisticated kids in the class.

Years ago I worked for a large textbook company. One of the basic readers was amended to include some African-American characters. The book was in circulation for several years before an astute child asked her teacher (who then wrote to the company) why the black postman, when he turned his head a page or so later, suddenly had a white neck.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 12:55:55 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2005, 12:08:16 PM »

I've been thinking about chat, since I just got the bill to renew our handy-dandy chat room.  It has been quite a while since we've done one (I think everyone got chatted out and that a break was necessary).  So, if we do a chat this week, let's figure out a day and time when it would be optimal for most people on the site.  You know, maybe something like five o'clock my time, so that the New Yorkers would be chatting at eight.  

That time would make this New Yorker quite happy, but I also know that a lot of west Coast Kimlets would still be at work, so 8:00 would be best for Sunday.  
However, I will bite the bullet and be agreeable about 9:00 because I would not like to see anyone missing out on Chat.  If it hadn't been for Chat, DR Danise and I would never have met!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2005, 12:08:18 PM »

Has anyone noticed that it's not even one CA time, and we're on Page 5? I smell a huge posting day for the first Monday of the new year. (Cinnamon with a dash of garlic.)

Jennifer

« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2005, 12:09:41 PM »

DR Jennifer, to do Telnet:

Open a command prompt, type "telnet" and hit enter.

I'm ignorant about telnet commands but if you type "/?" and hit enter, you should get a list of commands.

I know how to use telnet.  But where do i get it?  Do I have to download something?

The computer I was using had it on the front page under "internet".  The computer I am now using does not.  And I'm not sure what to do!

Does this make more sense?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: January 03, 2005, 12:09:55 PM »

At first, DR Elmore, I thought you were referring to Moi,but then I realized you probably meant Jane ;)

Speculation is endless, DR Ginny.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 12:21:37 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: January 03, 2005, 12:12:53 PM »

Others please chime in on chat.  If you don't have chimes, then xylophone or bell in on chat.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2005, 12:13:53 PM »

I'm awaiting the arrival of Miss Juliana A. Hansen.  I'll be sure to take a photo of her.  I must say, this Canon camera is much better than my older digital camera - the photos, at least on the little screen in the camera, look really good.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #144 on: January 03, 2005, 12:15:46 PM »

Meant to mention that I, too, saw film adaptation of THE PHANTOM OF THE HOO-HA yesterday afternoon.

POTO never has been, and never will be, one of my favorite shows.  Amongst other reasons, I always felt the hype (back in the late 80s) outweighed the merits of the piece.  That being said, I always liked "All I Ask of You" very much, as well as a couple of other numbers.

I thought the adaptation worked well, though there were a couple of spots at which I found myself giggling.  Most notably, the rising candleabra.  For one, it was one of the more blatant "steals" from the stage version; for another, it was just silly in as realistic a medium as film.  As silly as Esther Williams emerging from the MGM tank with hair and lipstick in place, smiling broadly.

I liked the framing device, and the backstory (though it's about one of three or four backstories that now exist for the fantome).  For some reason, it was also the first time I ever was made to feel that Meg Giry might actually be the Fantome's daughter.  (The dear partner and I always chuckle about such a minor character being given the final curtain of such a major musical.  We chuckled some more, after seeing that the movie didn't change much of this.)

I thought that "Masquerade" was a mess.  First, the voguing.  Then the camera-work.  I wasn't even crazy about the black/white costuming, especially with other characters in colors other than black and white.  And I missed the cow.

I thought that Schumacher's allowing so many different accents was deplorable.  And I forget who mentioned Patrick Wilson's American take on the word "to" last week, but when the moment arrived, it seemed so out of place......

Loved Driver, Richardson.

Liked Wilson, Butler (who is awfully sexy).

Rossum was....in the words of Addison DeWitt...a revelation.  Loved her.  Thought she was beautiful.  Thought she gave an earnest, well-thought-out performance.  Has a waist the size of my thigh.  She was, however, saddled with a wigmaster with no concern with continuity.  In some scenes her hair looked fine, and normal, all the way through.  In some other scenes (mostly in the Phantom's lair, where the humidity must have gotten to her), she could start a scene with normal hair, and it would widen and "poof" to the point where she would look like Marisa Jaret Winokur (or Elsa Lanchester, if the Bride had let her hair down.....).

So, as with the show itself, I didn't love the movie PHANTOM, nor did I hate it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 12:18:15 PM by Stuart »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #145 on: January 03, 2005, 12:16:14 PM »

Jane - yes, I did get the pic! They are such darlings...how old are they?  I'll bet your son misses them...I miss mine whenever I have to leave them.  What are their names?

Ben

« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2005, 12:16:46 PM »

I'm listening to an interview on BBC Radio 3 with Maury Yeston. It's quite good (IMHO). Fans of the other Phantom will hear some lovely work. Also pieces from Grand Hotel and a wonderful piece from an early show called In the Beginning.

Here is the link. It will be at the Web site until 11am (EST) next Monday, January 10th. Enjoy!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/stageandscreen/

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: January 03, 2005, 12:17:58 PM »

Michael next time I’m in Portland you will have to meet Bryan’s Sugar Gliders.

Do they like Bollywood movies?  Otherwise, it will never work!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2005, 12:28:35 PM »

The first computer I ever used was an IBM mainframe when I went to computer school.  Our programs had to be punched onto IMB cards and submitted to the operators.  If you're program worked, you would get back a few pages of output on that paper with the green bars.  If your program went wild, you would get back what we soon learned to call a Sunday Newspaper (because your stack would be at least as thick.)

The first PC I owned was a Timex Sinclair, which was probably about the same size as Writer's Block.  It was only 64K but I was able to write an amazing number of programs on it.  When I bought it, I was able to afford only one additional peripheral, either the cassette recorder "drive" of the printer.  I opted for the cassette recorder and by the time I had money to buy the printer they were no longer in stock (Timex didn't stay long in the computer business.)  I eventually sold my Sinclair for cheap to a friend, who later fried it and tossed it.  It's a shame because those units are considered highly collectable today.

My first internet experience was on a bulky desktop at school sometimes during '77-'78.  We could chat with people at other schools around the country and play backgammon with them.  There was also some kind of Star Trek game but none of us could figure out how to play it.

When I finally got a desktop PC at home with a modem in 1995 (a Compaq Presario), I initially connected to the internet by dialing up bulletin boards, which had access to chat rooms, usenet and search engines such as Archie, Veronica and Gopher.  I then tried Prodigy for a few months (which, as other DRs have mentioned, was extremely expensive.)  
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2005, 12:34:15 PM »

I know how to use telnet.  But where do i get it?  Do I have to download something?

The computer I was using had it on the front page under "internet".  The computer I am now using does not.  And I'm not sure what to do!

Does this make more sense?

Telnet is pretty basic so I would think that it would be on all PC nowadays.  Did you try to open a command prompt?  Click on "Start", "Run", type "cmd" into the "Open" box and hit "OK".  Then at the "C:\>" type "Telnet" and hit enter.  If your PC has Telnet, you should now get a Telnet prompt.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up