Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: I DO! I DO!  (Read 83562 times)

Danise

Re:I DO! I DO!
« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2005, 12:34:47 PM »

I thought that "Masquerade" was a mess.  First, the voguing.  Then the camera-work.  I wasn't even crazy about the black/white costuming, especially with other characters in colors other than black and white.  And I missed the cow

I agree.  Masquerade was a total mess.  Not to mention, again, the stage version of the Phantom appearing as Red Death made much more of an impact then (what would you call it?) costume he wore in the movie.  

Sorry, I got so caught up in everything else, I thought thought I said something about chat and realize I didn't.

BK, I didn't know you had to pay extra for us to chat.  I don't want you have to have to do that.  But I do remember that is how DR Elmore and got to meet.   :)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2005, 12:38:38 PM »

Page 6 Dance!!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2005, 12:44:45 PM »

I enjoy the HHW Chat sessions very much, though I would occaisionally feel like my deaf Uncle Steve (the chat window would often feeze up on me, though it doesn't happen as much now that I've updated to XP SP2.)  With the holidays over, I should be able to participate.

And maybe our first internet wedding can take place in chat?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2005, 12:48:54 PM »

I remember in first grade that the teacher collected all of our Dick and Jane readers and redistributed new copies.  It was the same exact book, except a few of Dick and Jane's friends were suddenly black.  It was a culture shock for the less sophisticated kids in the class.

It would have been a real shock for me, too, in a lily-white rural school. I remember the first time I saw a colored negro black African-American non-white person was on a train ride into Philly. "Look, Mom, that man is burnt all over! How did that happen?" The situation was exacerbated by the fact that even at four, I had developed my "stage voice" so the entire trainful of people heard the question.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2005, 12:50:34 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm back from my walk...

DR Danise - Yes, I did indeed buy some triple-antibiotic ointment, as well as some of those new-fangled Band-Aids that are made for multi-day wear.  -And I picked up some regular Band-Aids too since I was out of those too.

DR Jane - It's not on my toe - which I think would be more comfortable right now.  It's on the "top" of my foot.  And the more I examine it, the more I think it's just a spot of skin that got rubbed off somehow since it's right in a spot under where I knot my laces and/or an eyelet.  The walk did not help it out at all.  Having a sock and shoe rubbing against it... ouch!  I didn't make it bigger, but it looked a little aggravated once I got home.

But once I got home, I took my shoes and socks off, clean off my foot, put some ointment on it and bandaged it up.  Feels much better now.  And I think just being off my feet is doing the most good.  I'm currently sitting up in bed listening to Fresh Air, with my laptop on my lap.

It's not really that bad.  More of a nuisance than anything else.  It's my day off... It's warm outside... So...  I do hope to get some baking done later, and that should be OK - I'll just wear my flip-flops in the house.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2005, 12:58:14 PM »

Otherwise, it was a nice walk.  The temp had just broken 70 - lots of people walking around in shorts and t-shirts.  And there was a nice breeze too.  And there were just lots of people walking around.

While at the grocery store, I picked up some 1/2-price Australian Licorice - Deluxe All-Sorts!  YUM!  -It was put in with the Clearance Christmas Candy.  -I have yet to open the package, but...  I also picked up a bag of Ginger Snaps since I think I may be making a Ginger-Lemon Cheesecake tonight too... We shall see...

On the way back from the grocery store, I stopped into the New York Deli for some lunch - a turkey Reuben with a side of fries, and a grape soda(!).  -Been a while since I've had a grape soda.  That made me feel better too!

:)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 01:01:28 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2005, 01:07:05 PM »

As I mentioned last week, during the last year in the office I had the tear-off-a-day Worst-Case Scenario calendar.  This calendar had daily advice on such topics as how to take a punch in the stomach, how to survive a bird attack and how to lose someone who was following you.

When I came back to work this morning (after being gone since a week before Christmas), I tore off and read the remaining pages.  My heart almost skipped a beat when I came to the topic of December 22:  "How to Survive a Tsunami".  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2005, 01:08:26 PM »

The guy who played the Phantom was worse then I could have imagined.  Horrible.  Just horrible.  It was very apparent that English is not his first language—

Actually, English is his native tongue - perhaps the residual Scots accent threw you off.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #158 on: January 03, 2005, 01:13:36 PM »

... with my laptop on my lap.

Good Lord - haven't you heard about what happens when men use lap tops in their laps?

Do you know what could happen to you?

Don't your care?

Oh, nevermind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2005, 01:16:58 PM »

Back from a full afternoon of shopping (for a friend - the home theater initiate I'm helping). But now we're done. The TV will be delivered next week, and then the set-up begins. That's another evening that will be shot.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2005, 01:18:41 PM »

AH!  They are playing the great Johnny Hartman on WMKV...my standards/Big Band station outta Cincy!  "You Are Too Beautiful."

der Brucer,  I don't think I could write another Princess of Mars.  I got it right the first time.  Certainly the way I would want to do it.
It would be like trying to do another adaptation of HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES.  No thanks, done it already.  And it's considered by many, as Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide says: "To be the best version of the Doyle classic to date."

Tomovoz

« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2005, 01:18:56 PM »

Not usually my style to give an opinion and comment that will possible offend DRs.

Sugar Gliders should not be pets.  It would be illegal in this country. The exotic "Pets" are cute philosposphy is the reason why there is an international illegal trade in wildlife. Gliders are born to be free. They are not domesticated. I don't approve of caged birds either.  Thousands of birds and small marsupials and reptiles die each year because they smuggled internationally in the hope that a few will survive and bring in $$$$$$$.   Whether the pets are bred in captivity in another country is not relevant. The original breeding stock would have been illegal.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #162 on: January 03, 2005, 01:20:25 PM »

I know in several chats that I participated in there were so many conversations going on so fast that I (and a couple of other people) opted out because we simply could not keep up.

The chats I enjoyed the most were the ones where only a few people showed up and we could all stay on one topic.

But we have what amounts to chats all day long on here actually, so I think the money savings (if it's substantial for BK) should figure into this.

And if you keep the chats, I wouldn't mind doing an even earlier chat on the weekends so it wouldn't slough over into prime time on the East Coast.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2005, 01:32:48 PM »

DR DtM - that calendar entry on 12/22 is just too freaky!  Yikes!

Chat - I love the chats....but sometimes 9 pm was a bit late for me.  And if it is a savings.....the Yahoo groups has a chat feature....and an adjunct group that everyone joins could be used for chats.

I think we already have an HHW Yahoo Group.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #164 on: January 03, 2005, 01:35:40 PM »

I'm home now after my first full day at work and here is a picture of Anthony and me by our Christmas tree (different from the picture posted in early December).

MBarnum

« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2005, 01:55:33 PM »

Chat is good for me.  For me anytime on Sunday's is good.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2005, 02:10:32 PM »

I just received a very interesting email that my Farmer article has been linked by an online encyclopedia that I've never heard of.  I've already gotten several hits off that site today.  Well, when I went there, it told me I had a "message" waiting, and when I clicked, it told me I could edit any article I wanted to on the encyclopedia.   May I use this power only for good.  :)

Geek listening alert:  I am loving the latest Percy Faith reissues.  Even the early 70s ones with chorus, which usually don't do much for me.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Danise

« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2005, 02:17:16 PM »

Not usually my style to give an opinion and comment that will possible offend DRs.

Sugar Gliders should not be pets.  It would be illegal in this country. The exotic "Pets" are cute philosposphy is the reason why there is an international illegal trade in wildlife. Gliders are born to be free. They are not domesticated. I don't approve of caged birds either.  Thousands of birds and small marsupials and reptiles die each year because they smuggled internationally in the hope that a few will survive and bring in $$$$$$$.   Whether the pets are bred in captivity in another country is not relevant. The original breeding stock would have been illegal.

I understand your feelings, DR Tom.  I asked DR Ann  where she got hers because I thought they may have fell from a tree.  We had friends down the street who raised baby squirals because  they would have died otherwise.

Nice picture of you and Anthony, DR Ben.  

And Dear Uncle, you could have fooled me.  I never would have guessed what's his name was English.   :o

And I 2nd DR JRands, Yikes!, DtM  What exactly did it say?  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #168 on: January 03, 2005, 02:34:51 PM »

The exotic "Pets" are cute philosposphy is the reason why there is an international illegal trade in wildlife. Gliders are born to be free. They are not domesticated. I don't approve of caged birds either.  Thousands of birds and small marsupials and reptiles die each year because they smuggled internationally in the hope that a few will survive and bring in $$$$$$$.   Whether the pets are bred in captivity in another country is not relevant. The original breeding stock would have been illegal.

In further support of your argument, the "exotics" bred in captivity still add a demand "pull" for additional imports.

There is little logic with which to refute a firm position in opposition to having any wild animal treated as a "pet", although some might offer that the smaller critters seem to lead pretty carefree lives in the hands of caring owners. We also have the example of some basically wild animals reasonably domesticated - elephants and camels come to mind (of course I've never spoken with one to gather a first creature opinion).

There is as well the issue of the mistreatment of indigenous species rounded up and transported for the "exotic" trade.  For their sake, the development (and promotion) of domestic breeding stocks that provide reasonably priced pet stock for responsible owners would actually cut down on the demand for smuggled imports. If we made U. S. born Gliders economically priced, there would be little incentive to smuggle them in from down-under.

The "rape is inevitable" school would suggest that since banning the wearing of fur products is unlikely, the development of ranch farming and humane "harvesting" of mink and fox is not such a bad idea.

Unfortunately for the Gliders, I suspect the outrage over Rhino Horn, Elephant Tusk, and Gorilla Hands will eclipse their casue for now.

der Brucer (who is content with his birds flocking to the feeder - outside)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #169 on: January 03, 2005, 02:46:07 PM »

Gollum lives.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 02:46:26 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #170 on: January 03, 2005, 02:51:32 PM »

Jane - yes, I did get the pic! They are such darlings...how old are they?  I'll bet your son misses them...I miss mine whenever I have to leave them.  What are their names?

They belong to Bryan who lives in Portland, not Craig who is in Romania.  What are their names.  I tend to get them wrong, mostly he just calls them the monkeys.  He called his other ones that too.  I believe the male is 3 and the female (Shebe? or something like that) is two. :-[

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: January 03, 2005, 02:54:45 PM »

Back from a lovely lunch with the ever-lovely Juliana A. Hansen.  I never run into people I know, but I saw my pal Gordon Hunt, and I saw my cousin Alan.  Go know.  Juliana looked ravishing, and I have a phograph to prove it which, of course, I will be posting from my new Powerbook.  I do have the feeling that the photos I'm taking with the Canon will be too many pixels, so someone may have to talk me through converting them to less pixels.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2005, 03:05:31 PM »

First computer I ever used with a Commadore PET Computer in 6th grade.  I remember buying a Commadore VIC 20 from a friend of mine for use at home, you hooked it up to the TV, it was fun.  I remember copying programs out of magazines in my spare time and saving them on CASSETTES!!!  I eventually acquired an Atari 800 XL and eventually a PC.  I still use PC's and I have an iBook for portable stuff.

Jane

« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2005, 03:14:33 PM »

Tomovoz, initially I had trouble with the Sugar Gliders as pets and agree with you about birds (mine would have to fly free in the house).  But as with all pets it is the care and treatment the owner gives the pets that makes a difference.  Bryan’s Sugar Gliders have loads of playtime.  They basically have the freedom to roam his place at night.  During the day, or when necessary they are contained in a very large cage.  He spends a good amount of time giving them attention and feeding them the best diet he can find.  I must say when I stayed with him they were very cuddly and great fun.

I find too many dogs and cats don’t get as much exercise or attention as his Sugar Gliders do.  When Echo was young she was rarely left alone and I took her walking or running for two hours (often 1 hour at a time) almost every day.  I organized play activities for her with other dogs.  I take her hiking where she can run off the leash, granted much easier to do now with live in the country but in the city I did that at least once a week.  Though my cats are indoors they get equal play time and when we travel we have pet sitters who stay here.

Jane

« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2005, 03:16:09 PM »

And what is the ever-lovely Juliana doing these days?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2005, 03:24:00 PM »

Juliana has been taking lots of classes here in LA.  She's going back to NY for three weeks next week, to have some auditions, and then she'll be back among the LAzians.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: January 03, 2005, 03:24:40 PM »

Juliana may make herself available to be a haineshisway.com bride.  She's very interested in the concept.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: January 03, 2005, 03:25:44 PM »

Welcome eleven (!) GUESTS.  Don't any of you GUESTS want to be married here at haineshisway.com?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: January 03, 2005, 03:29:10 PM »

Well, I'm one happy acolyte today!  I just got my CD of JEEPERS CREEPERS, and I will drive all and sundry mad tomorrow playing it in the recording office!  This is exciting.

Also, inquiring calls and emails about potential jobs, which also make me light up like a pinball machine on "tilt."  Jan 3 has been quite crammed with incident!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2005, 03:32:52 PM »

Elmore good new job vibes!

Bruce what is with all the red x’s?  Please tell Juliana we want her to come join us.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up