Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN THE KEY OF B  (Read 74538 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:NOTES IN THE KEY OF B
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2005, 07:56:49 AM »

I used to go to the midnight showings of Rocky Horror at the 'MiniCinema" on Long Island back in the late 70's I used to get up and dance in front of the screen.  My boyfriend and I used to be able to do that dance where I would leap up and put my legs on one side of his hips and then on the other and then around his waist before bouncing back down   :-*

Of course that was back in my 100 lb days..these days I would break the poor boy's back   :-[
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 08:07:31 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2005, 08:06:04 AM »

OOH first post on page three and it was about dancing!!
~~                             ~~                                    ~~
       ~~                                      ~~
                    ~~                                         ~~

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2005, 08:07:25 AM »

In highschool, my friend Patty and I rode the subway home together. It was often quite crowded, and sometimes we'd surreptitiously twang our Jew's harps. Nobody could figure out where the weird sound was coming from - or what it was.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 08:15:36 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2005, 08:08:00 AM »

DISCUSSION OF LAST NIGHT'S ALIAS:

Geez, I guess one episode of being mad at daddy was enough. :)

In the world of ALIAS, there are plenty of secrets still remaining, and I think it's pretty clear that there's more to Irina's murder by Jack that we've been told thus far. This father-daughter relationship is never going to be easy for long.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2005, 08:08:56 AM »

Have any of you AMAZING RACE fans read about a TAR all star?

That sounds amazing to me!

http://community.realitytvworld.com/boards/DCForumID37/942.shtml

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2005, 08:16:15 AM »

Good morning to all. I'll be heading back to NYC on Sturday, out of Long Beach airport pursuant to BK's recommendation of Jet Blue last time he was in NYC.

Will I have time to pack, is the big question... my brother, who has been taking care of my dad, is ill... so I pulled Daddy Duty this week - 10 AM to 8 PM. My sister, who is also ill (and who was in BK's class at Hamilton High!), will not be able to do Friday Daddy Duty - ah, well.

The good news is that Peter Filichia who gave such a nice review of BK's Writer's Block in his theatremania column remembers me from a hundred years ago - even quoted a lyric of a song I wrote when we were in BMI Workshop together over a quarter of a century ago! Other good news: the fundraising (can you spell 501-c-3?) is going well. Many nice folk have contributed to Chaspen, to help produce Jewish Thighs. Even in a tiny house like the Clurman, it looks like ticket sales (pray for Butts In Seats!!) may just cover the rest of the expenses of producing my show!!

My mother is failing rapidly, and I may not see her again once I leave on Saturday. My dad is just blurring - at 96 his health is (dare I say "unfortunately"?) still good. Their future flows in their DNA - 2 grandchildren engagd to be married this coming year, one grandchile graduating from college and one from high school heading off to college on a baseball scholarship; and my show heading to NY after 5 years on the road. Not such a bad way to end a long and complicated life together, is it.

Oh, look! a patch of sunlight! Feels almost like Spring, doesn't it. The journey continues...
PennyO

td

• td
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2005, 08:19:42 AM »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ HEALTH VIBES TO DR DANISE'S MUM ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

vixmom

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2005, 08:19:44 AM »

There was the August back in 1972 or 73 when my church youth group traveled to Houston for a convention.

On our trip we visited Six Flags.  There was a terrible thunderstorm, lighting,  pouring rain and they closed the park .  On our way out we passed a fountain and, since we were all soaked anyway, we thought we would wade in it.  Turns out it was about four foot deep, so we went swimming instead

the counselers and the park guards were not amused

but we were!!

vixmom

« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2005, 08:26:14 AM »

it looks like ticket sales (pray for Butts In Seats!!) may just cover the rest of the expenses of producing my show!!

and my show heading to NY after 5 years on the road. ...

My thoughts and prayers to you at this difficult time for your family

A far as your show goes, when and where?  We New Yorkers need details please. Perhaps we can help fill your seats!! ( my butt alone can probably handle several!!)  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2005, 08:28:10 AM »

Thinking good thoughts for DRPENNYO -
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2005, 08:28:45 AM »

DRJOEY it was at the Phoenix Theatre on N Park Av....lots of fun.  I used a have a picture somewhere.....hmmmmmmmmmmm
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2005, 08:34:10 AM »

But Rochelle always did a great version of.....what?  She was kind of known for her rendition of it...but what was the name of it???  (She was also known for her hair.)

possibilities:
"Good Thing [She] Can't Read My Mind" Christine Lavin
"Bouncing Back"
"We Live on Borrowed Time" and "Help is on the Way" David Friedman
"Dear Mr. Sondheim" Wayne Abravanel (has this number ever been recorded?)

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2005, 08:55:46 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]DR Danise, good vibes to your mom! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 08:57:46 AM by Jennifer »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2005, 09:01:48 AM »

possibilities:
"Bouncing Back"

I am thinking I am remembering either "Good Thing She Can't Read My Mind" or "Help is on the Way"  but I am not sure....

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2005, 09:08:09 AM »

Evil Jonathan (from AMAZING RACE) has a website:

http://www.jonathanbakerandvictoriafuller.com/

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2005, 09:16:42 AM »

DR PennyO:

I lost both my parents within a year of each other with them both in the 80s. So I can identify with your feelings. My best wishes go with you.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2005, 09:19:07 AM »

For those who enjoyed MEDIUM earlier in the week (and there were a lot of people who did; the ratings were the best NBC has done in that time slot in a decade), don't forget that there is another episode tonight at 10 (in the ER time slot). The pilot episode is being shown again on Saturday (when I will watch it).

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2005, 09:21:42 AM »

For those who like Rob and Amber from Survivor, there is a rumor that they are doing TAR7 (amazing race):

http://p085.ezboard.com/fsurvivorsucksfrm23.showMessage?topicID=3813.topic
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 09:23:45 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2005, 09:26:05 AM »

NBC is also airing another episode of COMMITTED at 8:30pm after JOEY.

I forget if I mentioned this, but I sort of enjoyed COMMITTED.  It was quirky, and I think the female lead could become big.  She was refreshingly enjoyable.   And it was funny.  Not hilarious, but cute.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2005, 09:31:28 AM »

I wanted to like "Committed" very much.  It seems to have been edited by the folks who edited "Friends" and "Seinfeld"....first, a shot of the city, then an establishing shot of the streetfront of the building where the action will take place, and then the interior with action.  That gave it a familiar feel and it was comforting.

I truly wanted to love it and chuckle and guffaw.

But I found not one second of it funny, guffaw-worthy and, worst of all, it only barely "mildly" amused.

Tom Poston's character gets such HUGE laughs on the laugh track (presumably from a "live" audience????) but it seemed tired and forced to me.

I want so much more than this show has to offer.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 09:32:30 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2005, 09:36:17 AM »

Parent care-giving vibes to DR's Danise and PennyO.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2005, 09:58:46 AM »

Good Afternoon!

It's a totally gray, drizzly and dreary day here in Fairfax, VA.  There's even some fog...  A perfect day for sleeping in - which I did - and for just staying at home surfing the web... and posting here on HHW, of course!

-Btw, the previous paragraph was sung in the key of G#-minor - the relative minor to the key of B.  I guess it could be sort of like a B-section, or would that be a G#-section?

As for the most outrageous thing I've done in public... Hmmm... I was on a bus & truck tour with Anything Goes for about two and a half months, and I'm pretty sure somewhere in there I did something crazy and uncalled for, but I can't seem to remember anything right now.  -Well, maybe I can't remember anything since I really was "crazy and uncalled for".... And most likely courtesy of Yeungling Black & Tans and/or tequila shots.

-I decided to go modal for the above paragraph.  Mix it up a little bit.  I started off in Mixolydian (starting on D), then switched to Lydian (starting on F-sharp).  The finished it off with some sprechstimme.

:o

I did jump off a 10-meter diving platform last summer in Gold Coast (AUS) - and on my birthday no less!

And in high school, I would have these "fits" every now and then when I would run around the school all crazy-like.  Bouncing off walls - or at least trying to bounce of cinder blocks.  Hanging off the stair railings.  Talking nonsense.  This usually happened after school, so there weren't too many people around, but there were some witnesses.  Of course, most of the "witnesses" were other members of the Drama Club, so my somewhat unseemly behavior was just seemly to them.

-That was in 12-tone - Here's my tone row - Get ready to make your matrix!  D, B-flat, C-sharp, C, G-sharp, F, A, C, E-flat, E, B, G.  *For those astute eyes/ears, the thirds are on purpose, sort of like what Alban Berg did in the Violin Concerto.

I've played a show in boxers and a bathrobe.  -The pit was covered.

Hmmm...  Of course, there are crazy things I've done in private, but that's another day, another topic.... another internet site.

:o
 ;D

-Oh, and, of course, the last part came back to the burnished key of B.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 10:00:20 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2005, 10:01:38 AM »

DR Danise - Best of Vibes to Your Mother and You!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2005, 10:02:36 AM »

DR PennyO - Safe travels.  See you in NYC!!
Make Your Own Luck.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2005, 10:07:07 AM »

Max Preeo - the one person whose announcements of new releases are 99% accurate - has just confirmed the April 19 DVD release of L'IL ABNER.  Also, the Bette Midler GYPSY will be out on DVD March 15.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2005, 10:09:04 AM »

DR Elan et al...  Back to Eighty-Eights...

It was Erv Raible, Rochelle Seldin, and ??

-I'm drawing a blank right now, and I don't have the business card on me right now with all three names on it.  -I always liked that card - silver with red print.  One of the guys who ran sound there from time to time had a place basically across the street from the club.  He would let me hang out at his place from time to time, and we'd dish about who had just sang, or was about to sing.

-Oh, did you ever run into Perry Payne (was Esleeck until the divorce)?  I knew her here in DC, and we did some shows together.  I lost track of her when she moved to NYC, but would sometimes get greetings from her - and vice versa - from people who had seen her at Eighty-Eights.

Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2005, 10:10:47 AM »

Was given "Mary Poppins" for My Birthday (Some gift givers are so thoughtful)- just checked. Mine too is as with OZDerek.

I went through all the audio options - the 5.1 track is the "Enhanced Disney Home Theater Mix" and the 2.0 track is the theater mix, the same as on the US.  Unless I missed it or it's mislabeled.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2005, 10:12:24 AM »

possibilities:
"Bouncing Back"

"Good Thing He [She] Can't Read My Mind" was a sort of mini-hit among the music theatre majors at Catholic University a couple of years ago.

OH!  And to bring this back to something we talked about a few days ago, Christine Lavin was one of the original "Four Bitchin' Babes", and I believe this song is on one of those albums.  Maybe so, maybe not.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2005, 10:14:15 AM »

Orange County - the home of Allison Hayes - she lived in San Clemente on La Ventana and spent many happy months on the beach there I am sure!

Hmmm.  What was the number on La Ventana?  Do I sense another drive-by shooting (of a photograph, that is) in my future?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2005, 10:23:09 AM »

Max Preeo - the one person whose announcements of new releases are 99% accurate - has just confirmed the April 19 DVD release of L'IL ABNER.  Also, the Bette Midler GYPSY will be out on DVD March 15.

Great that Max confirmed it!  I have been trying to find a way in to Paramount Home Vid to suggest that I do a little documentary about the film and play, but I had no luck and now it's too late and will, most likely, be the usual Paramount bare-bones release.  However, as long as the transfer is top-notch that's all I care about.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up