Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND TOMORROW  (Read 74540 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND TOMORROW
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2005, 08:59:46 AM »

I liked What a Way to Go! when I was a kiddie as well....."Hop hop hop to Hopper's.....a little hard work never killed anybody!"  LOL....but I also liked MdClaine's "Woman Times Seven" which was kind of weird, and for a long time afterwards, I used to get scenes from each one mixed up in my head.

As for the skating....hmmmmmm....I only watched the Men's Short Program, and will watch the men's Free Skate later today...LIVE!  Not much interested in the ladies for some reason - don't really care who wins.  Kwan and the others are pretty boring.  I am still stuck in the Peggy Fleming/Carol Heiss era of pretty skating without so many jumps.....

ANYWAY - Cohen seems to be a pain in neck and I might watch just hoping to see her fall down.....

Getting ready for the Putnam County Playhouse Fundraiser which is next Saturday in case anyone wants to come.  Dan Stockton and I will be doing our "Lovely" number from FORUM......"You didn't tell me I'd have to be a girl......"

And "Farenheit 451" is on TCM tonight.

HMMMMMMM....LI'L ABNER and DARLING LILI on DVD - I better start saving my money.  

I LOVE LUCY the third season is also coming out in February!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2005, 09:02:39 AM »

I'm happy to see DRGinny has committed to March 19.  Any other out-of-towners making plans?

Pencil me in, DR Elmore.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2005, 09:03:41 AM »

I Love Lucy Page Three Celebration.....  ;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2005, 09:03:42 AM »

Last night I went to the house of friends who were showing off their new wide screen television set.  The main attraction of the evening was--The Village.  Having seen it last summer, I settled into my seat prepared to be a little bit bored.  But I found myself totally drawn into it, this time paying more attention to the actual movie than looking for clews about the big surprise twist.  It really is a lovely movie in many ways and I think I will have to buy a copy for myself.

I am being offered a free ticket for tonight to the Disney-produced On The Record, which is a revue of Disney songs that's playing here in Philly.  Evidently, it's been doing horrible business and they are comping the heck out of it.  I haven't heard one good thing about it but I just may go anyway since it's playing at the Kimmel Center and I'm curious about how they set up for a B'way style show.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 09:08:07 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2005, 09:04:27 AM »

DRPANNI your picture didn't need any work that I could see....and I expect you will wear the same outfit to pick up your Emmy Award!

Panni

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2005, 09:11:42 AM »

What did you think of it?

One of my favourites from last year.  Sooooo many people were disappointed with it ~ those who wanted full on horror.  I saw it from a completely different angle .. was quite moved  :'(   by the beauty of the performances and the story in general.

POSSIBLE VILLAGE AND CRYING GAME SPOILERS AHEAD

Well - I didn't see "the twist" coming, and I usually smell twists a mile off (knew the twist in THE CRYING GAME almost as soon as we met the "twisted" character).
So, I kept thinking that it was pretentious and that the monsters were really silly. Then, when the twist was revealed, I suddenly understood everything and it became a different film for me. In the end, I rather liked it. I actually wouldn't mind looking at it again, knowing what the twist is, to see how that colors things. When I watched THE SIXTH SENSE a second time, it was a totally different experience. Very interesting (an Arte Johnson reference).

Panni

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2005, 09:15:13 AM »

CD player - Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company
DVD - HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS (a screener) and 1776

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2005, 09:16:56 AM »

Media check:

DVD:
ROCK, ROCK, ROCK (1956)
DIARY OF A NUDIST (1961)
LUCY SHOW episodes from one of thos $1 DVD (this show was funnier then I had remembered!)

CD:
Adnan Samni's new CD TERI KASAM
Soundtrack to John Abraham's upcoming move ELAAN.

VHS: Last nights NIGHTLINE (thanks to DR Jose for alerting me to it!)

DVDr: 3 Richard Diamond episodes that I transferred from tape to DVD last night.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2005, 09:19:32 AM »

Portland is a sheet of ice this morning, so we are not going to services and the kids don't have Shabbat School.  It may even snow later.  Yay!!!

Ice Station Zebra:  I actually saw this on a double feature with 2001.  I had missed the first release of 2001 and had read the big "making of" book and also Clarke's novelization, and I really wanted to see it, so my Dad took me to ICZ so that we could stay for the second feature.  I remember impatiently sitting through ICZ for the second feature, which was occasionally marred by my father's snoring (he fell asleep about 5 minutes into 2001).

Darling Lili:  There is a lot of discussion on several listserves I subscribe to about the edited version of this.  (Why no brouhaha about the edited DVD of Hawaii--and have you all written your letters to David Bishop?  :) ).  I have never seen Darling Lili in any version--do any of you have the unedited version you could dub for me and I will trade something magnificent from either my video or music collection?

Spyware/Adware update:  If you can believe this, after AOL Spyware found 18 programs (from a mere 2 downloads), Norton found another 20 or so.  These all have to have come from my sound recorder downloads, as I do regular weekly scans and have never had any spyware/adware up to this time.  It boggles my mind.  I've been able to get rid of everything with the exception of one solitary DLL file, which I don't think is able to do anything since its associated program has been nuked.  This has taught me a big lesson about freeware.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2005, 09:19:38 AM »

DRPANNI your picture didn't need any work that I could see....and I expect you will wear the same outfit to pick up your Emmy Award!

...Just as CP's close and personal friend, Harlan Ellison did one year at the WGA Awards. I think it was because of 9/11 - or perhaps some other somber reason - but we were asked to wear "working attire."
Ellison, who was a presenter, walked onstage in his pajamas and robe, saying, "This is what I wear to write."

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2005, 09:20:18 AM »

This weekends Bollywood movie is PRINCE. Sort of a comedy. Nothing spectacular, but it has a good cast and some entertaining moments. I must now go and finish watching it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2005, 09:28:43 AM »

...But did you watch "Nightline"?  -This inquiring mind wants to know!

-And, preferably before he has to leave for the theatre.

Please.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2005, 09:36:33 AM »

OK...  I'm off like a cheap prom dress!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2005, 09:45:00 AM »

Pencil me in, DR Elmore.

DR Panni - Oh, I'm so glad you're planning to be there!  Do you have enough coats?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2005, 09:51:09 AM »

I am still stuck in the Peggy Fleming/Carol Heiss era of pretty skating without so many jumps.....

ANYWAY - Cohen seems to be a pain in neck and I might watch just hoping to see her fall down.....  

DR JRand54 - I agree with both parts of this statement!

So nice to find some other figure skating fans here.  I stayed up 'way too late last night (for someone who had to be at work at 9am!) watching the short programs.  Wondering if we'll see more abandon/expression in the free skates today?  I think often they skate pretty carefully to get in all those elements that are required in the short program.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2005, 09:51:39 AM »

Am I the only one who finds the big quote line from Sixth Sense self-evident?

Every time I hear the phrase "Icy dead people," I want to smack whoever is saying it.  Of course they're icy, dunce!  If they were alive, they'd still be warm!

Sheesh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2005, 10:04:30 AM »

I am somewhat infamous not only for guessing twists in movies (especially those featuring Chubby Checker), but also announcing them so that everyone (usually Dear Spouse) can be notified of exactly when I figured them out.

I have not seen The Village, nor read much about it, but I think I have already guessed the twist (as I did with Sixth Sense just from the trailer).  Would someone who's seen it PM the twist so that I can confirm my suspicions?

SPOILER ALERT--TWIST GUESSING:

I think it has something to do with, to quote Rodgers & Hart, "Where or when."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2005, 10:11:40 AM »

Matt Bogart: Simple Song Which DR Elmoore did some of the orchestrations. The others I am, guessing were culled from previous recorded material. The Rain Song sounds as if it came from 110 In the Shade that Ron Raines recorded

Yes, I believe that's true.  I did  "Tell My Father" for Sean McDermott and Mr Yap used the same instrumental track for John Barrowman and Matt, I believe.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2005, 10:23:43 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Glad some people liked The Village.  Wish I was one of them.  Didn't hate it or anything, just didn't like it very much.  I did like Bryce Dallas Howard's performance, but abhorred Adrien Brody's.  

In addition to my incessant Bunny Hopping last night, I, too, figure skated.  When I was through my figures added up to forty-eight.  Pretty good, huh?

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2005, 10:24:14 AM »

Hiya!

Oh, wow! Just been reading the notes - how excellent about so many folks coming in from outa town for the March 19 weekend at my show!!! This is so nice of all a yuz!

Panni - what a swell pic of you watching TeeVee in your nightynight dress and hat!

I did love What A Way To Go way back when. I loved the costumes, and the whole silly fantasy of it. Loved the Art Machine that painted to music! Loved all the fluff and jokes and all the just plain SILLY!! I still look at it sometimes, when it's on TeeVee - only now, I can leave and come back whenever I feel like it, rather than stay riveted to the drama as I used to...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2005, 10:25:39 AM »

I saw some of the figure skating this Ayem - always takes my breath away. Ballet, but MORE SO.
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2005, 10:26:24 AM »

The sky is blue
Blue is the sky
Is the sky blue
Yes, according to I.

I am waiting on the NY decision, until I've heard from Marcy, the Marketing Lady.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2005, 10:35:46 AM »

Bruce! How 'bout I put a quarter-page ad for Writer's Block in my program? If you send it to me in Pagemaker or as a pdf file, I'll just paste it in!
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2005, 10:36:04 AM »

Oh, and jrand the Li'l Abner and Lili DVDs won't set you back too much - you should be able to get them for under ten bucks each.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2005, 10:36:57 AM »

I'm doing that same thing for another friend who has a book coming out in February.
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2005, 10:41:34 AM »

Cooliscious, PennyO.  I'll see if I still have the Scarlet Street ad, or maybe I'll just have someone do one up and e it to you as a pdf.

Michael

« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2005, 10:43:11 AM »

Didn't the director's cut of DARLING LILI ax the children's song featured on the film score recording? Seems like it did, but I haven't seen it in so long that I may have it confused with something else.

Yes that is one of the sequences that was cut. (The Little Birds/La Petitte Oiseau (sp?).

I don't think any of the other songs were cut. I am sure there had to be more scenes cut than just so sky shots. There was almost a half hour cut from the film. Originally 136 minutes then 107 minutes. There is another cut at 114 minutes

Which come to another question. Hawaii is also being released I have seen the roadshow version of it (I think it was). There is a brief bit where Julie is singing (sort of) called My Wishing Doll. Was the song ever sung in its entirity in the film?

And BTW the cover art for the DVD is sooooooooooooo ugly. I think I would have prefered the orignal poster art or at least the vhs two disk release.
Never stop dreaming.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2005, 10:49:51 AM »

What A Way To Go may have not been a financianl bomb when it came out but it was a bomb of a movie.  I remember it being laborouious when I first saw it in the theatre...and a few months ago, when it was on TV, The Lovely Wife and I had to turn it off, unable to get through it.

Don't tell me how you bunny-hopped all night long last night, BK, you're a wussburger and left the site before Panni and I did last night.

I must find the Jimmie Rodgers' version of LONG, HOT SUMMER

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2005, 10:55:36 AM »

Ah ha.....yes less then ten dollars each!  A bargain.  

THE LONG HOT SUMMER is a VHS I got for about $2 at Half Price Books.  Yup pretty good movie...long and HOT.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2005, 10:58:22 AM »

Ah, but when I left the site, there was no one there at all, except maybe Jed, who wan't on the actual board, and TomofOz.  Had I but known there would be others, I would have stayed around because I was in a bunny hoppin' sort of mood.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up