Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY OF THE ROBBYS  (Read 3646 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE DAY OF THE ROBBYS
« on: February 26, 2018, 12:02:24 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were written the day of the Robbys, and now it is time for you to post until the day of the cows cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE DAY OF THE ROBBYS
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 12:03:18 AM »

And the word of the day is: HYETAL!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 12:08:10 AM »

First post after BK!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 12:16:11 AM »

Well, I didn't get to reply to yesterday's posts, but what I usually do is right-click on the Quote link, then select "Open link in a new tab," and leave the tab up until I've read through all of the posts, then I go through and post my replies and responses.  Fortunately, I still have those tabs, so I'll be posting from yesterday's quotes. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 12:17:56 AM »

Pretty anal-retentive, ain't it?  Anyway, here goes...again.

George

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 12:27:39 AM »

To answer from yesterday:  Tom, I like El Sarape's food. :)

I just realized that I didn't read your question correctly.  To answer:  El Sarape has terrible Chinese food...but their Mexican is pretty good.

;)

I so love that even in the very rare case that DR George says something negative, he still ends the sentence with something good to say.

I wish I could think of doing that more often

Fred, I took Tom's original post from the night before, asking "Does El Sarape have good Chinese food?" as a joke.  It's a local PNW chain Mexican restaurant and doesn't serve ANY Chinese food! :)) 

George

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 12:37:32 AM »

I love the Eileen Rodgers/Hal Linden ANYTHING GOES!  That's to recording that made me really fall in love with "Heaven Hop" by Margery Gray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XHcWn4nBUA

This was the first cast recording of ANYTHING GOES that I ever heard and I also love it.  What I love most about this verson of the show (if I remember correctly) is that it's the only version where Reno sings I Get a Kick Out of You in reference to Lord Evelyn Oakleigh (after they've gotten to know each other a bit), instead of at the beginning of the show about Billy, which to me makes absolutely no sense.  They're friends, buddies, pals...she shouldn't have any kind of unrequited romantic feelings for Billy.  That's never explored at any other time in the show.  She meets Evelyn and is smitten with him.  What's the point of having a moment of her confessing her love for Billy if it doesn't go anywhere?  Just my 2˘.

George

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 12:41:05 AM »

I love the Eileen Rodgers/Hal Linden ANYTHING GOES!  That's to recording that made me really fall in love with "Heaven Hop" by Margery Gray.

This recording is the one I grew up with.  I love the entire cast and Margery Gray is so wonderful.  I find the "Mary Martin Sings all of ANYTHING GOES" an effort, and I wish I liked the Beaumont version more.  I really hated a lot of the original Lincoln Center production.  I mostly play the John McGlinn-EMI recording.  It's poorly cast and John has no sense of dramatic drive, but those original 1934 orchestratons and score remain my faves.

I love Kim Criswell!  I hope she's not included in your "It's poorly cast" statement. ???

George

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 12:42:25 AM »

Ate about 800 calories of Taco Bell.  And I've now written a bit more than two-thirds of the commentary.  Interestingly, I could not find one piece of historical information about Hit Me With a Hot Note and Watch Me Bounce, which is very unusual - if anyone knows the history of the song, send it my way.

I love "Hit Me With a Hot Note and Watch Me Bounce."  I hope you find the information you need.

George

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 12:43:11 AM »

Laura, I just read your blurb.....congratulations!!!

Yes!  Congrats on the new addition to the family!

George

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 12:45:49 AM »

Talked with Mom tonight. Louisville is having one of its worst flooding in ages. Thankfully, the house is dry at the moment. No water in the basement. But water is everywhere else. And I think the garage may be flooded. That's not really a problem as there isn't a car or much of anything else except for some tools and stuff that they refuse to get rid of.

~~~Stay Dry Vibes of All Kinds for John's Mom!!~~~

George

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 12:47:03 AM »

Feel better vibes fr TCB

~~~Ditto!!~~~

George

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 12:47:55 AM »

And finally...
I tried watching the closing ceremonies, but I fell back asleep.

I recorded them and will watch them later.  I made a DVD of the opening ceremony, and will made a DVD of the closing ceremony, too...just because. :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:51:01 AM by George »

George

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 12:51:34 AM »

And that concludes my replies to yesterday's posts!

George

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 12:59:22 AM »

Well, I need to get to sleep now.

Good night and have a good day, all!

FJL

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 04:16:40 AM »

Thanks for that info, George!   :)

FJL

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 04:19:49 AM »

Now that my unfortunate paypal cart error was solved yesterday with BK's kind help, I'm looking forward to my copy of GEE arriving in the mail today.

FJL

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 04:21:08 AM »

I'm kidding, of course.  With USPS mail, I guess it won't get here until Thursday.

FJL

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 04:21:51 AM »

I guess if I got the e-book, it could get here sooner.

FJL

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 04:23:31 AM »

I'd wait by the mailbox, but loitering in the lobby is sometimes looked upon with suspicion.

FJL

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 04:23:54 AM »

Hope TCB feels better soon.

FJL

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 04:26:58 AM »

TOD question: Does BD Wong's album of Skip's show HERRINGBONE count as a cast recording even though it's a one-man show?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 04:34:10 AM »

This recording is the one I grew up with.  I love the entire cast and Margery Gray is so wonderful.  I find the "Mary Martin Sings all of ANYTHING GOES" an effort, and I wish I liked the Beaumont version more.  I really hated a lot of the original Lincoln Center production.  I mostly play the John McGlinn-EMI recording.  It's poorly cast and John has no sense of dramatic drive, but those original 1934 orchestratons and score remain my faves.

I love Kim Criswell!  I hope she's not included in your "It's poorly cast" statement. ???

I think Kim's the only good casting on the recording!  Cris Groenendaal can be so funny onstage and it doesn't come across on the recording.  Poor Jack Gilford is too old and frail.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2018, 04:34:26 AM »

And . . .

good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 04:38:34 AM »

At noon I see my accountant, so I will leave here around 10:45.  Before then I need to vacuum along with my daily obligations.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2018, 04:40:00 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  Feel Better Vibes for our DR TCB!  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 04:52:28 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2018, 04:55:48 AM »

This was the first cast recording of ANYTHING GOES that I ever heard and I also love it.  What I love most about this verson of the show (if I remember correctly) is that it's the only version where Reno sings I Get a Kick Out of You in reference to Lord Evelyn Oakleigh (after they've gotten to know each other a bit), instead of at the beginning of the show about Billy, which to me makes absolutely no sense.  They're friends, buddies, pals...she shouldn't have any kind of unrequited romantic feelings for Billy.  That's never explored at any other time in the show.  She meets Evelyn and is smitten with him.  What's the point of having a moment of her confessing her love for Billy if it doesn't go anywhere?  Just my 2˘.

The story I heard is that Porter knew the worth of the song and wanted it first so that people would show up to the theater on time and not be noisy during one of the show’s hits. Apparently there was a lot of bad behavior among the rich theatergoers at the time who didn’t care about the show, only to be seen.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 05:06:43 AM »

TOD 1:

I’m sure I’ll remember more as the day goes on.

Bright Star
Giant
Loving Repeating

Elmore’s studio recordings of Eileen, Roberta and Dearest Enemy.

― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2018, 05:20:47 AM »

The story I heard is that Porter knew the worth of the song and wanted it first so that people would show up to the theater on time and not be noisy during one of the show’s hits. Apparently there was a lot of bad behavior among the rich theatergoers at the time who didn’t care about the show, only to be seen.

There was a reprise in Act Two.  I have the original 1934 score.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up