Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY OF THE ROBBYS  (Read 3621 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE DAY OF THE ROBBYS
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2018, 10:50:04 AM »

Three!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2018, 10:51:00 AM »

TOD: In addition to some of those mentioned, I will add -

The Great Comet
Bandstand
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2018, 11:51:01 AM »

My taxes are finished and I will do very nicely on the return front.  Daddy's Boy Thatch was very happy to see me, maybe more than Annabelle.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2018, 11:54:51 AM »

My accountant recently lost his cat to the same heart disease as Thatch.  The cat was four years old, the same age as the only other cat I know of to die from this problem.  I am not setting my calendar for Thatch to die in 2022, but I will certainly begin worrying more about his health, if I'm still alive, in 2021.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2018, 12:24:25 PM »

DR Elmoore

I was listening to McGlinn's Babes In Toyland on Youtube. Where did that person get the recording and wondering if it's properly mixed? It was hard for me to tell. Was there anything missing from what was recorded? There are notes and the lyrics so someone made an effort to put it out there.

Is this the one listed by "Sir Parsifal"?  I have no idea who this person may be but he's in violation of copyright since the recording belongs to the Packard Humanities Institute.  There have been bootleg copies since 2001, some distributed by McGlinn's agent at the time, selling online.

Yes Sir Parsifal
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2018, 12:26:32 PM »

Well, I didn't get to reply to yesterday's posts, but what I usually do is right-click on the Quote link, then select "Open link in a new tab," and leave the tab up until I've read through all of the posts, then I go through and post my replies and responses.  Fortunately, I still have those tabs, so I'll be posting from yesterday's quotes. :)

I am baffled by the fact you can do this. 

Jane

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2018, 12:29:52 PM »

I was holding my breath as I read that.  So glad she's back in the safety of her home!

Me too.  I have also had some rather bad scratches on my face from a frightened cat.  I am glad you are both ok.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2018, 12:42:39 PM »

Well, I didn't get to reply to yesterday's posts, but what I usually do is right-click on the Quote link, then select "Open link in a new tab," and leave the tab up until I've read through all of the posts, then I go through and post my replies and responses.  Fortunately, I still have those tabs, so I'll be posting from yesterday's quotes. :)

Jane, "can" do this, or that I do it this way at all?  Do you read HHW on a tablet or a desktop computer?  The way I do it on my tablet is I hold down the "Quote" button and a dialog box opens up and I can select "Open in a new tab" that way.  If you have an iPad or other Apple device, I have no idea how those work.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2018, 01:07:58 PM »

TOD question: Does BD Wong's album of Skip's show HERRINGBONE count as a cast recording even though it's a one-man show?

Of course!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2018, 01:08:05 PM »

I love the Eileen Rodgers/Hal Linden ANYTHING GOES!  That's to recording that made me really fall in love with "Heaven Hop" by Margery Gray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XHcWn4nBUA

This recording is the one I grew up with.  I love the entire cast and Margery Gray is so wonderful.  I find the "Mary Martin Sings all of ANYTHING GOES" an effort, and I wish I liked the Beaumont version more.  I really hated a lot of the original Lincoln Center production.  I mostly play the John McGlinn-EMI recording.  It's poorly cast and John has no sense of dramatic drive, but those original 1934 orchestratons and score remain my faves.

I love Kim Criswell!  I hope she's not included in your "It's poorly cast" statement. ???

I think Kim's the only good casting on the recording!  Cris Groenendaal can be so funny onstage and it doesn't come across on the recording.  Poor Jack Gilford is too old and frail.

Whew! (about Kim ;) )

George

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2018, 01:09:46 PM »

I love the Eileen Rodgers/Hal Linden ANYTHING GOES!  That's to recording that made me really fall in love with "Heaven Hop" by Margery Gray.

This was the first cast recording of ANYTHING GOES that I ever heard and I also love it.  What I love most about this verson of the show (if I remember correctly) is that it's the only version where Reno sings I Get a Kick Out of You in reference to Lord Evelyn Oakleigh (after they've gotten to know each other a bit), instead of at the beginning of the show about Billy, which to me makes absolutely no sense.  They're friends, buddies, pals...she shouldn't have any kind of unrequited romantic feelings for Billy.  That's never explored at any other time in the show.  She meets Evelyn and is smitten with him.  What's the point of having a moment of her confessing her love for Billy if it doesn't go anywhere?  Just my 2¢.

The story I heard is that Porter knew the worth of the song and wanted it first so that people would show up to the theater on time and not be noisy during one of the show’s hits. Apparently there was a lot of bad behavior among the rich theatergoers at the time who didn’t care about the show, only to be seen.

That makes sense...for back then, but now, why not use it where it's most effective for the story?  Just a thought.

George

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2018, 01:11:12 PM »

This was the first cast recording of ANYTHING GOES that I ever heard and I also love it.  What I love most about this verson of the show (if I remember correctly) is that it's the only version where Reno sings I Get a Kick Out of You in reference to Lord Evelyn Oakleigh (after they've gotten to know each other a bit), instead of at the beginning of the show about Billy, which to me makes absolutely no sense.  They're friends, buddies, pals...she shouldn't have any kind of unrequited romantic feelings for Billy.  That's never explored at any other time in the show.  She meets Evelyn and is smitten with him.  What's the point of having a moment of her confessing her love for Billy if it doesn't go anywhere?  Just my 2¢.

The story I heard is that Porter knew the worth of the song and wanted it first so that people would show up to the theater on time and not be noisy during one of the show’s hits. Apparently there was a lot of bad behavior among the rich theatergoers at the time who didn’t care about the show, only to be seen.

There was a reprise in Act Two.  I have the original 1934 score.

I always wonder if the original, original script (if I remember correctly) with the ship wreck plot that was rewritten when at the time a ship really did wreck, still exists and what it might've been like.

George

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2018, 01:12:33 PM »

The McGlinn recording of Anything Goes is one that never crossed my path.  While I'm sorry to hear it isn't all it should be, I'll put one in my cart (the ever expanding cart (it's kind of like an ever expanding waistline)) and give it a listen soon.

While I'm thinking about it, how is the Sutton Foster / Joel Grey one?

I love the YouTube video of the Sutton Foster rehearsal of "Anything Goes."

I love Jonathan Groff's version of that Sutton Foster version of Anything Goes for MCC Theater's "Miscast" benefit!

George

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »

Trying out a pizza chain called MOD. I would not recommend it.

John, what don't you like about it?  There's one here in Olympia and I think it's pretty good...but then my standards are pretty low.

;)

George

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2018, 01:13:50 PM »

George

« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2018, 01:14:06 PM »

My taxes are finished and I will do very nicely on the return front.  Daddy's Boy Thatch was very happy to see me, maybe more than Annabelle.

Congrats on the return front, Larry!  I should get my refund on Wednesday!

George

« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2018, 01:17:02 PM »

My accountant recently lost his cat to the same heart disease as Thatch.  The cat was four years old, the same age as the only other cat I know of to die from this problem.  I am not setting my calendar for Thatch to die in 2022, but I will certainly begin worrying more about his health, if I'm still alive, in 2021.

That's so sad. :(

~~~Stay Healthy Vibes for Thatch and Larry...and really EVERYONE!!~~~

George

« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2018, 01:17:37 PM »

TOD 1:

I’m sure I’ll remember more as the day goes on.

Bright Star
Giant
Loving Repeating

Elmore’s studio recordings of Eileen, Roberta and Dearest Enemy.

Ditto to ALL of these!  I'll also add (in alphabetical order...and I searched my CastAlbums.org profile):

And the World Goes 'Round: The Songs of Kander and Ebb
Boscos Endins (the original Barcelona cast recording of Into the Woods)
Bukowsical!
Catch Me If You Can
Closer Than Ever (2012 Off-Broadway Cast recording)
Daddy Long Legs
Dreamgirls (original London cast recording)
Falsettos
Finian's Rainbow
Fun Home
Gay's the Word (2012 London cast recording)
Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder
The Glorious Ones
Herringbone
Kristina at Carnegie Hall
L.A. Now and Then
Levi!
Merman's Apprentice
Murder for Two
Once
Once on This Island (New Broadway cast recording)
The Phantom of the Opera at The Royal Albert Hall (2011 concert cast recording)
School of Rock
The Scottsboro Boys (both the Broadway and London cast recordings)
SpongeBob SquarePants
Sunday in the Park with George (New Broadway cast recording)
Welcome To My World

And an honorable mention to the TV soundtrack cast recording to Bombshell: The New Marilyn Musical. ;)

Jane

« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2018, 01:29:55 PM »

Jane, "can" do this, or that I do it this way at all?  Do you read HHW on a tablet or a desktop computer?  The way I do it on my tablet is I hold down the "Quote" button and a dialog box opens up and I can select "Open in a new tab" that way.  If you have an iPad or other Apple device, I have no idea how those work.

Yes, but you did it the day after when the quote option is gone-right?

Jane

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2018, 01:34:30 PM »

ROBBY AWARDS VIBES FOR BRUCE!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2018, 01:48:12 PM »

John, what don't you like about it?  There's one here in Olympia and I think it's pretty good...but then my standards are pretty low.

;)

Nothing tasted all that fresh. People here are contradicting me, so I may give it another try, but I won’t try the white sauce again. I hear the artichoke hearts are good.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2018, 02:09:08 PM »

I was able to post in a new day after the quote option is gone, but I can't create the post from a quote after BK locks the day.  I opened the tabs (right-click on "Quote") when it was still available to do so, and I had those tabs still open in my browser when BK closed the day, so the information was still there for me to copy into a new post on the new day.  If I tried to preview or post, I got the message that the day is locked, so I try to avoid that (but I can still hit the back button on my browser and see my post as if I were able to still post it).  Since it's all the correct quoting information, it still works when I paste it all into a new message the next day.  Make sense??
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:11:02 PM by George »

George

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2018, 02:12:07 PM »

;)

Nothing tasted all that fresh. People here are contradicting me, so I may give it another try, but I won’t try the white sauce again. I hear the artichoke hearts are good.

Ahh.  I don't put fresh vegetables on my pizza, so that's probably not an issue for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2018, 03:20:10 PM »

I am now off to a committee meeting - I am not a member of the committee or do I have a fiduciary or other interest in same.....we shall see how it goes.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2018, 03:20:50 PM »

I was able to post in a new day after the quote option is gone, but I can't create the post from a quote after BK locks the day.  I opened the tabs (right-click on "Quote") when it was still available to do so, and I had those tabs still open in my browser when BK closed the day, so the information was still there for me to copy into a new post on the new day.  If I tried to preview or post, I got the message that the day is locked, so I try to avoid that (but I can still hit the back button on my browser and see my post as if I were able to still post it).  Since it's all the correct quoting information, it still works when I paste it all into a new message the next day.  Make sense??

So you were just planning ahead-lol

George

« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2018, 03:53:51 PM »

Yup! ;)

FJL

« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2018, 04:29:22 PM »

The McGlinn recording of Anything Goes is one that never crossed my path.  While I'm sorry to hear it isn't all it should be, I'll put one in my cart (the ever expanding cart (it's kind of like an ever expanding waistline)) and give it a listen soon.

I love Jonathan Groff's version of that Sutton Foster version of Anything Goes for MCC Theater's "Miscast" benefit!

I must have had way too much non-tax-season time when that Jonathan Groff video first circulated. 

Celebration of the Jonathan Groff “Anything Goes” channeling of Sutton Foster

Times are odd
Used to be to get folks to clap
You could lure them into your trap
With most any chap doing tap
Now my god
To get people to say ahem
If the group is led by a chap
Just one chap’s okay with them

My grandmamma while drinking vino
Said one man could star as Reno when Sutton’s off -
Jonathan Groff

He got the song without a lesson
His diction would sure impress any music prof -
Jonathan Groff

Your voyage is bon today
‘Cause he’s on today
Nothing wan today
You’ve got Jon today
It’s no con today
The fans have gone today
Like piggies to a trough

Who’d make the B.O. really happen
By scorchin’ us with his tappin’, no do not scoff –
Jonathan Groff
Jonathan  (5x)  Jonathan Groff

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 04:49:31 PM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2018, 04:30:26 PM »

Robby Award vibes for BK!

George

« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2018, 04:38:39 PM »

I must have had way too much non-tax-season time when this Jonathan Groff video first circulated. 

Celebration of the Jonathan Groff “Anything Goes” channeling of Sutton Foster

Times are odd
Used to be to get folks to clap
You could lure them into your trap
With most any chap doing tap
Now my god
To get people to say ahem
If the group is led by a chap
Just one chap’s okay with them

My grandmamma while drinking vino
Said one man could star as Reno when Sutton’s off -
Jonathan Groff

He got the song without a lesson
His diction would sure impress any music prof -
Jonathan Groff

Your voyage is bon today
‘Cause he’s on today
Nothing wan today
You’ve got Jon today
It’s no con today
The fans have gone today
Like piggies to a trough

Who’d make the B.O. really happen
By scorchin’ us with his tappin’, no do not scoff –
Jonathan Groff
Jonathan  (5x)  Jonathan Groff

:)) That's great, Fred!

FJL

« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2018, 04:43:03 PM »

Thanks, George!

I must have had this particular computer a long time, if that Groff video was 2012!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up