Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THREE CRICKETS IN THE FOUNTAIN  (Read 53857 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:THREE CRICKETS IN THE FOUNTAIN
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2005, 10:04:19 AM »

Too bad about The Frogs. I, too, thought "Ariadne" was the best song in the score. I'll buy it because it's got material that's not on the recent studio recording but I wish it was better.

On another matter, Mr. DTM, you have a live ootlegbay recording??? Who do you know, young man? :D

(in my best Sgt Schultz voice)  I know nothhhhhhinnggggg!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 10:15:15 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2005, 10:04:27 AM »

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  

Those earbuds are the worst - they gave me a headache.  Regular headphones, or a set of these external mini-speakers I bought are the only way.

Panni

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2005, 10:05:10 AM »

*****And more Good Vibes for DR Ann!****

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2005, 10:06:06 AM »

The sky is blue and I am not - I am happy as a malc.

Panni

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2005, 10:06:08 AM »

For the NY denizens... Any thought on The Muse Hotel?
I love the name - location is good.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2005, 10:09:29 AM »

TCB I’m sure both Seattle and Tacoma offer my Girl Scout cookie choices.  :D

I would like to know what the differences are.  In all my moves I have never noticed a different selection.  If you order cookies they should be the same, however, if you are walking away with cookies you purchase the selection would be ones the seller has chosen since they can’t be returned.

Ginny

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2005, 10:10:15 AM »

For the NY denizens... Any thought on The Muse Hotel?
I love the name - location is good.

DR Panni - The Muse Hotel is right across the street from the Comfort Inn-Midtown (the one we've emailed about).  You're right, great location, but pretty pricey, I understand.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2005, 10:10:58 AM »

BK, which Brasil '66 album are you listening to?  I have a huge lot of very rare Sergio 45s on eBay now, starting price of .99.  Hint, hint, nudge, nudge.  They include several nonalbum tracks, including the one Brasil '65 45 that never made it to any album.  Bid now, bid often.  :)

Jacques Loussier taught a master class that you had to be invited to attend.  Luckily, I was invited.  We dissected various Bach inventions, then got to jam on them.  It was one of the most instructive moments of my college life.

George, glad it arrived.  Sorry I wasn't able to do the insert myself, but you would not have liked the way it came out on my bargain basement printer.  I feel bad, especially since you did such a nice job on 1776.

Good health vibes to Ann.

CD:  Nara Leao.  Right now she's singing "Berimbau," which Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 recorded two years later.
DVD:  Night Gallery.  Fun to see it after so many years.  Love the pilot movie.  Was amazed to see it was Norma Crane playing the German woman in the last section with Richard Kiley.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2005, 10:11:11 AM »

Another satisfied graduate  of "Typing the Vixmom Way" ;DIt'sway Igpay Atinlay, actuallyway.

E'reway inway ethay oneymay!
E'reway inway ethay oneymay!
Eway otgay away otlay ofway atwhay itway akestay otay etgay alongway!

Iway andstay oreectedcay!! ;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2005, 10:13:14 AM »

Jose, now you tell me about the Napoleon store! ;D

Matt H I enjoyed the photos.

Jed will you be checking on Ann and let us know how she is?

Ron & Ben-LOL.

Panni

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2005, 10:16:04 AM »

You make a cute nun, DR MattH.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2005, 10:17:37 AM »

Now on the CD player - New Girl In Town. It's been ages since I last listened to it. I'm especially enjoying the Thelma Ritter numbers.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2005, 10:18:50 AM »

You make a cute nun, DR MattH.

Adorable. (I thought he looked like Sister Kramer.)

Ben

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2005, 10:19:15 AM »

Well, I've never stayed at the Muse but I've walked by it many times on my treks across 46th Street. It's a beautiful looking lobby. It is very centrally located, across the street from Ginny's hotel and just a couple of blocks from the Milford Plaza where Danise will be staying (if she can make the trip). It's pricey but it looks like a great place to stay and you'll be in the middle of Times Square with action available 24 hours a day.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2005, 10:19:47 AM »

Jose, now you tell me about the Napoleon store! ;D

The Napoleon store!  I hear that they're short on staff!

LOL!  Oh, I crack myself up!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2005, 10:28:32 AM »

Technical advice request.

I need a new printer for my old PC, and will be checking around this weekend. Any suggestions about what to look for? I don't need a color printer - in fact, I don't need anything spiffy. Thanks, all.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2005, 10:28:59 AM »

DR Jane,  your inbox is full  :)

Thank you.  I deleted several messages and made room.  One message I can't delete-keeps telling me I'm a hacker. ???

Ben

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2005, 10:31:35 AM »

If you don't need color then I suggest a low-cost laser. While color printers are fun, since they are almost all ink cartridge based you can end up spending as much in ink cartridges as you did for the printer. A toner cartridge lasts longer and I think a laser is easier to maintain. We have two printers, one ink jet color printer for the creative Anthony and an old (in computer terms, I think I got it around 1997) laser printer for the practical Ben.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2005, 10:35:30 AM »

On my turntable : Tuscaloosa's Calling me but I'm not Going

DRCillaliz, I love TUSCALOOSA'S CALLING ME!  I saw it in 1976 or so.  It played at 43rd and 9th where I LOVE YOU, YOU"'RE PERFECT is playing, and Patti Perkins was a total hoot.  There are some wonderful songs in it like the title song and "New York From the Air."  I have a copy of "Delicatessan" somewhere in this chaos.  It was directed by Oscar's son, the late Jamie Hammerstein, a lovely man.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 10:35:49 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Panni

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2005, 10:39:38 AM »

Thanks for the info, DR Ben. The practical side of me is now fighting with the (much bigger) non-practical side. I like staying at really nice hotels. I don't, however, like forking out a huge chunk of change at the end of my stay.
(As I'll be having some script meetings while I'm in NY, the whole trip can be a tax write-off - so that's a good thing. Have to decide soon.)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2005, 10:40:30 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~DRANN, MORE GOOD HEALTH VIBES AND WISHES~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2005, 10:40:56 AM »

The stuff you learn when surfin'
Tho' I bet BK knew all this already!!)

The Crickets
Rate this artist:  

The "Crickets" started out as pure fiction -- the name a ruse by Buddy Holly, Jerry Allison, and Joe B. Mauldin to avoid the provisions of a 1956 contract that Holly had signed with Decca Records, that would have prevented the release of their then-new ... Read More... The "Crickets" started out as pure fiction -- the name a ruse by Buddy Holly, Jerry Allison, and Joe B. Mauldin to avoid the provisions of a 1956 contract that Holly had signed with Decca Records, that would have prevented the release of their then-new recording of "That'll Be The Day" on the Brunswick label. The name stuck, and for the next 15 months there were records by the Crickets and records by Buddy Holly -- which were virtually interchangeable -- and they were billed as Buddy Holly & The Crickets. By the end of 1958, however, the references to "Buddy Holly and the Crickets" were becoming valid in the worst possible way -- Holly's shifting and expanding musical interests, coupled with his move to New York and marriage to Maria Elena Santiago, and the differing relationships that the three had with their manager, Norman Petty, led to a split between Holly and his bandmates in the months immediately prior to Holly's death in a plane crash on February 3, 1959.
The result of their split was a separate existence for the Crickets. Jerry Allison became de facto leader of the group, and they were soon a quartet again, with Sonny Curtis on guitar and Earl Sinks as lead singer. In 1959, still managed and produced by Norman Petty, they recorded "Love's Made A Fool Of You" backed with "Someone, Someone", which failed to chart. Their next serious assault on the charts -- a version of Curtis's "I Fought The Law" cut for Coral Records -- vanished without a trace in 1959, and their rendition of "More Than I Can Say" also failed

to find an audience for them, though it did wonders for Bobby Vee and, by extension, for Curtis as its composer. They recorded a handful of singles for Coral Records, and later signed to Liberty Records with Jerry Naylor in the lead singer spot (sometimes switching off with Sonny Curtis), in addition to recording with Buddy Holly soundalike Bobby Vee.

The group recorded for Liberty for four years, from 1961 through 1965, even doing their versions of several Beatles songs, but apart from a pair of minor hits, "My Little Girl" and "Please Don't Ever Change", were unable to generate any enthusiasm. One of Naylor's successors, David Box, died in a plane crash during 1964. They did find some lingering success in England, and the group even managed to appear in two jukebox movies on either side of the Atlantic, Just For Fun (1963) in England (doing "My Little Girl" and "Teardrops Feel Like Rain") and The Girls On The Beach (1965 in America (doing "La Bamba"), but by the end of the 1960's, Mauldin had left music while Allison was singing lead; he and Curtis were also working as session musicians, and Curtis scored a huge success at

the dawn of the 1970's as the composer of the theme song for The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Allison and Curtis were the core of the group in the early 1970's, mostly working as a touring act rather than a recording outfit, though new records did appear on various labels, including Mercury and MCA. In the wake of the revival of interest in Holly's music at the end of the 1970's, the Crickets reformed on a steady basis, with Joe B. Mauldin returning to the lineup after more than a decade out of music. In 1986, Curtis left the fold to re-establish himself as a solo performer, and was replaced by Gordon Payne on vocals. In 1988, they recorded the single "T-Shirt", produced by longtime fan Paul McCartney, which became a minor hit and led to the release of an LP of the same name from Epic Records -- their presence in record stores, however, is usually restricted to the Buddy Holly period and their early '60s history. ~ Bruce Eder

« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 10:41:45 AM by vixmom »

Cillaliz

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2005, 10:42:18 AM »

DRCillaliz, I love TUSCALOOSA'S CALLING ME!  I saw it in 1976 or so.  It played at 43rd and 9th where I LOVE YOU, YOU"'RE PERFECT is playing, and Patti Perkins was a total hoot.  There are some wonderful songs in it like the title song and "New York From the Air."  I have a copy of "Delicatessan" somewhere in this chaos.  It was directed by Oscar's son, the late Jamie Hammerstein, a lovely man.

I've never seen it. My sister got the album years and years ago and it somehow just ended up in my record collection when I left for college in 1979 ;)   I love the songs you mentioned as well as Fugue for Menage a Trois, and Singles Bar

Panni

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2005, 10:43:12 AM »

Dan in TO - The good news is that printers are pretty inexpensive these days. I have a Lexmark Optra E312L- which has been excellent. The cartridges are very pricey, but they last forever.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2005, 10:43:20 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from getting my hairs cut!  Ahh... So nice to feel the air on my scalp again.  And I probably lost about two pounds in hair alone!

;D

I made a surprisingly quick run into Whole Foods to pick up some stuff.  It was surprisingly quick since the place was packed!  Pre-snow stocking up/panic.  But they had all the registers going, and the ladies manning the Express Lanes were making sure they were in Express mode.

Oh, and I also bought some lottery tickets.  Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!  *And if I win, then all DRs will be coming to NYC for Jewish Thighs!  My treat!!!

;)

Of course, now that I've said, I probably will win.

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2005, 10:43:48 AM »

DR Panni - If you do actually stay at The Muse, may I hop across the street to see how the other half lives?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2005, 10:46:27 AM »

DR Panni - Heck, if it's a tax write-off, go for the Muse!  Or better yet, the new Mandarin Oriental up at the newish Time Warner Center.  Each room has at least two(!) plasma TVs in them!  Some even have conversation pits!  Partay in Panni's room!!
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2005, 10:48:29 AM »

DRBen, I'm sorry that you were in the audience from hell.  When I saw the original production of MY ONE AND ONLY, I sat in front of a drunken birthday party group who wouldn't shut up during the entire opening scene.  My reward for asking them to calm down was to half this drunken oaf lean over my shoulder about every 30 minutes to ask "Are we being quiet enough for you?"  I've been among outlandishly rude audiences for RENT, THE MUSICAL COMEDY MURDERS OF 1940, and the original production of NINE.  There should be an imbecile  meter for each seat and when an audience member reaches it, they should be killed for terminal rudeness.

As to LITTLE WOMEN, Beth's death is the funniest part of the book.  There was a fascinating article about two weeks ago in NEW YORK magazine on how the original writers and director were screwed out of this show.  It's hard to wish any show directed by the current director of this production well since she's such a "Cora," one of the most unpleasant people I've ever met.

The general consensus at B&N today is, yes, the Trump wedding dress is ugly and overwrought.  I'm going to finish the posts and get back to work!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 10:52:42 AM by elmore3003 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up