Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THREE CRICKETS IN THE FOUNTAIN  (Read 53831 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THREE CRICKETS IN THE FOUNTAIN
« on: January 21, 2005, 12:25:23 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are in the know, notes-wise, and now it is time for you to post until the sticky wicket cricket cows come home.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 11:59:01 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THREE CRICKETS IN THE FOUNTAIN
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 12:27:22 AM »

Sorry the notes were a bit late in getting up.  There up now and I am ready for ACTION.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 12:34:14 AM »

Ann, everyone is thinking good thoughts for you and sending you the strongest possible vibes and xylophones, so you have nothing to be nervous about.  You will be absolutely fine and we can't wait until you're back with us.

Here is a photo taken tonight at the DGA Theater.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 12:41:01 AM »

DVD: A RSC production of OTHELLO with Willard White as Othello, Imogen Stubbs as Desdemona, and Ian McKellen as Iago.  Directed by Trevor Nunn. "Ian McKellen delivers the definitive Iago of his generation."

CD: Dick Haymes:  It Might As Well Be Spring.  I am also loving this WMKV on the internet out of Cincinnati.  What wonderful radio station!

From the Bookshelf & On the Nightstand:  The Play of Personality in the Restoration Theatre by Anthony Masters.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 10:29:19 AM by Charles Pogue »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 12:52:14 AM »

I'm sooooo full right now.  I didn't mean to eat quite as much as I did, but I just have no control in Mexican restaurants.  And today it's the Cheesecake Factory, another restaurant where I have no control.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 12:53:46 AM »

I see we got us a bunch o' WUSSBURGERS tonight.  Too bad - I'm just sitting here like so much fish, way too full to go anywhere near the bedroom environment.

I feel that tomorrow I will achieve my new plateau of 9000 posts.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 12:54:24 AM »

A car alarm has been going off every ten minutes across the street.  If it continues, perhaps I'll pay a visit to said car with a baseball bat.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 12:54:53 AM »

Is anybody there?  Does anybody care?  Does anybody see what I see?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 12:57:56 AM »

I see dead people.

Panni

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 01:04:43 AM »

Went to a screening of a very enjoyable silent film tonight - THE TEMPTRESS. Great new original score by Michael Picton. I loved the directing credit: "Personally Directed by Fred Niblo."
The film will be shown on TCM on Jan. 24. Highly recommended.
More tomorrow.

Panni

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 01:05:32 AM »

*****BEST OF THE BEST VIBES TO DR ANN!*****

Jed

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 01:35:06 AM »

Media check...

DVD - Sports Night season 1... just love Aaron Sorkin dialogue
VCR - empty
CD - Saturday Night
Book - nothing at the moment, but (based on comments here yesterday) have a copy of How I Paid for College on its way via inter-library loan
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 01:43:54 AM »

DR Danise - Phones in bathrooms aren't really that practical.  People can tell you're talking to them in the bathroom due to that inevitable "bathroom echo".  ;)

However, a TV in the bathroom is not unheard of... And if the hotel/bathroom happens to be equipped with a whirlpool tub.... Ahh!

Anthony's Home Port (where I went for dinner on New Year's Eve) has TVs at the urinals! :o What if you want to change the channel??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 01:52:16 AM »

In my CD player:  The Woman In White, the original (London) cast recording.

In my DVD player:  nothing...yet.

In my VCRs:  1) a tape to tape tonight's "Star Trek:  Enterprise" and Jay Mohr on Comedy Central, and 2) a tape to tape tonight's "Battlestar Galactica"

In my brand new MP3 watch:  the original London cast recording of Promises, Promises, ripped from the CD-R that I received due to the kind courtesy of JMK!!  Thanks!!  It arrived today!  I've only listened to a couple of tracks but so far it sounds great!  I was able to put together the .jpgs of the covers that you e-mailed me and it didn't turn out too bad.  Thanks a lot for those, too!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 01:53:53 AM »

Well, off to bed.
So, good night Jed!

I'm a poet and didn't know it!

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 03:17:01 AM »

Media check: the Best of the Decca Years - Judy Garland. Ok I am out of the closet but the Garland Cd was a gift and it is terrific. A Garland Cd in the house. What next? "Steel Magnolias" and "Beaches"

DVD:  "Merry Marry Mary Poppins":  A total joy.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 03:27:05 AM »

Best Health Vibes to DR ANN!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 03:54:17 AM »

Good vibes to DR Ann.

Hey, yesterday's posts must still be open!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 04:03:30 AM »

Thank you, DR SWW, for searching for DOUGHNUT PLANT site. I’ve got informations from the shop in NYC at Japanese site, too.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 04:30:22 AM »

DR JOSE:I’ve never had orange glazed before but cassis glazed was incredibly yummy.  Although there is Dean and DeLuca near my place, ten minutes away by walk, they don’t sell Donut Plant donuts.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2005, 04:39:22 AM »

Always speaking of pestries.....am greedy!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 05:16:17 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm about to go push books for B&N.   Yesterday, I turned in the partitur for "That Ain't Hay (It's the U.S.A.)" for this recording on Monday afternoon at the Hit Factory.   I think it will sound fine, but you never know till the band starts blowing.

Today's a mindless day, and that's fine after the mental exertions of Monday-Thursday.  I finished HOW I PAID FOR COLLEGE, which I enjoyed immensely, so it's back to the painful KITE RUNNER.

Today's Topic:

CD:  Always the PHI recording project CDs (BABES IN TOYLAND, HAVE A HEART, THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER)
       JEEPERS CREEPERS
       PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION (orchestration by Stokowski which I've never heard, but I doubt it's as wonderful as Ravel's)

DVD:  Two Netflix movies, I forget which

VHS:  Nada
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2005, 05:33:15 AM »

I saw Little Women last night. It's a pleasant show (damn it with faint praise whydoncha). Both Sutton Foster and Maureen McGovern are excellent. There is some nice music. McGovern gets a very good number in the second act where she sings her feelings about the death of daughter Beth. Sutton Foster has a big first act closing number called (IIRC) Astonishing. Unfortunately, it's not. Nothing in the show is astonishing. It's perfectly pleasant and well done. The costumes work well. There is good use of some rear projections for sets, unlike those used in Good Vibrations. The supporting cast is fine, it's just missing the spark that could turn it into a wonderful, emotional evening. It's a little long (almost 3 hours) and since it's opening on Sunday I doubt that it will be trimmed much. This is crass, but for $30 I didn't mind it. For $100 or $75 I think I would have been more upset. So, DR Debra/Vixmom, those are my thoughts. I think if you can get discount tickets (you will most likely be up in the mezzanine) your daughter will enjoy the show. It's not a great piece of musical theatre but it's a nice introduction if a child hasn't seen much theatre. The beauty and power of the book isn't always transferred to the stage but there are moments which are very nice. I think it may have a life if only for school groups. There were many, many students in the theatre, no doubt they are reading the book and came to see the show.

I was also sitting next to a stupid couple who should be banned from the theatre! She complained incessantly about the seats. Now granted the mezzanine of the Virginia Theatre does not have ample leg space, but give it a rest lady. You're in a public place. Do you really think everyone around you wants to hear you berate your husband repeatedly for getting such bad seats? Do you really think everyone around you wants to hear (as you sit with your mink) how these seats "are killing me". If you're so unhappy, LEAVE! And her husband TOOK OFF HIS SHOES during the show. If they had been loafers I don't think I would have minded, but they were intricately laced tennis shoes! He had to pull his legs up in the cramped space so he could put them on at intermission and walk down to the men's room. I was hoping that since her highness was so unhappy that they would leave at intermission but no such luck. She stayed during intermission and he came back from the mens room. Before the show the wife handed her husband a bag containing a piece of pastry (how apropos to yesterday's topic), a gooey chocolate thing, and the buffoon ate it while she told him he could save it and eat it later, then stuck her fingers in the pastry and took some. I had, in front of me, a bobble-head doll and if I could have removed his head I would have done so with pleasure. Being rather short (5' 3") I do sometimes have a problem with who sits in front of me in the theatre. I try to get an aisle seat when possible but with TDF E-Tix, you pays your money and you takes your chances. The man sitting in front of me was one of those movers who kept shifting and leaning over to talk to the wife (I think he was there because she wanted to come, not because he wanted to see a musical based on a book he probably never read). Just when I was able to see unobstructed, Bobble-Boy would take a new position. It made watching the show a little frustrating. Perhaps the couple next to me and the man in front affected my viewing of the show. Who knows?

The most pleasant part of the evening was running into former DR Jason! We were both in the far reaches of the mezzanine, thanks to TDF E-Tix. We had a very nice conversation. He had an audition on Monday and scored a callback for possible summer work. MTI still has Dear Jason in it's grip so he is quite busy. He also saw Good Vibrations and feels the way I do, that it's a show in trouble and if it's not fixed it will open and close very quickly.

I'm seeing Lone Star Love next week, a musical based on Merry Wives of Windsor and set in Texas. Jason saw it and enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to it. I won't be seeing Gary Sandy (from WKRP In Cincinnati) since his last performance was yesterday evening. Oh, well. It's a small, Off-Broadway theatre so I don't think I'll have the audience problems I had yesterday.

It's approaching 8:45am here. I must get to work.

I'm listening to BBC Radio 3 right now. I'll be back later with other music choices.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 05:36:04 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2005, 05:34:10 AM »

Best Wishes to our DR Ann!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2005, 05:38:54 AM »

On my turntable : Tuscaloosa's Calling me but I'm not Going
CD player: Lost in Boston IV
DVD player: empty at the moment

Well, off to work. We're supposed to have freezing rain today. Since I have the awesome power of calling snow days, I may have to do that this afternoon. I'm actually a supervising attorney at the federal defender's office here, being paid by the government to fight the govenment has always been a kick for me.

BK do the Crickets do Gershwin, perhaps Fascinating Crickets, Embraceable cricket, or My Cricket in Milwaukee ?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2005, 05:48:19 AM »

Can I speak of pastries?
Valrhona Chocolate Doughnut from DOUGHNUT PLANT, NYC, is my boom (it’s Japanese-English and means indicating something which you very personaly are crazy for, not completely relating to general trend)  

DR Hisaka, I think you just unveiled HHW's newest catch phrase (well, I plan on using it, anyway!)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2005, 05:50:06 AM »

! ! ! ! !  EXCELLENT VIBES OF HEALTH AND RECOVERY FOR DR ANN  ! ! ! ! !
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2005, 06:02:56 AM »

Good and Healthful Vibes to Our DR Ann

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2005, 06:26:34 AM »

Thank you all for the vibes, you dear wonderful people...they are much appreciated.  It's now almost 6:30 and I have not yet slept.  Since I have to leave for the hospital in less than two hours, I don't believe I will sleep tonight.  I have, however, finished all my cleaning except for the kitchen floor, and taken a long bubble bath.  I feel alright, except I wish those butterflies in my stomach would calm down a little.  

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2005, 06:27:13 AM »

"... Fiddler has gone from having too little of a personality at its center to having too much of one."

N.Y. Times review of Harvey Fierstein's Tevye:

http://theater2.nytimes.com/gst/theater/tdetails.html?id=1077011419597
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 06:28:26 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up