Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A MONDAY SORT OF MONDAY  (Read 36785 times)

Jennifer

Re:A MONDAY SORT OF MONDAY
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2005, 06:44:12 AM »

DR Jose, re: your Boston Legal question (that DR Jed answered last night), James Spader was on the Practice last year.  But towards the end of the season he and the girl who plays Tara quit the firm and started at Denny Krane's firm.  They showed them there, with William Shatner and the other new actors (but not candace bergen, she just started last week).

I think James Spader is hilarious.  Love, love, love him.  He is so fabulous in this role.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2005, 06:52:05 AM »

Film Set Fly on the Wall:  "All About Eve" or "Valley of the Dolls"

Rehearsal Hall Fly on the Wall:  I think one of those shows that was somehow turned around out of town, so take your pick:  DOLLY, FIDDLER, MY ONE & ONLY, SEESAW, FORUM (though Forum has never been a fave...)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2005, 07:00:08 AM »

DR DANISE: Yes, I did know it’s the year of the Rooster. I have no idea where you read that on, but speaking of it in Japan.  It’s called the twelve signs of the Japanese zodiac (perhaps it’s China in origin) so there are twelve kinds of animals named years. These are… Rat, Bull, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Cock, Dog, Boar.

Incidentally, the year dear BK was born is the Boar’s. The person who was born in the year of Boar, is said to be, makes a mad dash for his goal. I’m not sure if it’s true or not…but I guess it’s pretty close, though I don’t believe fortunetellings much.   ;)

Ps, DR DANISE re pictures of your roses, TAKE YOUR TIME!
 :) ;) :)

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2005, 07:18:03 AM »

DR Hisaka,
I keep meaning to ask you if you ever were, or are currently, a fan of Godzilla films?

And who are some of your favorite Japanese actors and actresses, both past and present?

I have been a fan of Japanese films since I was a kid...Akira Takarada, Kumi Mizuno, Momoko Kochi, Akira Kubo, and Yumi Shirakawa are a few of my favorites!

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2005, 07:19:43 AM »

Hmmm....a fly on the wall on a movie set...perhaps GUNSLINGER (1956) so that I could find out the true story of Allison Hayes' fall off of the horse...did she fall off and break her arm on purpose, as Ms. Beverly Garland states...or was it an accident! What a mystery!

Also, would love to be a fly on the wall of ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE...just because!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2005, 07:40:28 AM »

Last night, there were some comments from DR Ron Pulliam and others about Rob Morrow. Let me state an opinion.

First, I never watched NORTHERN EXPOSURE much, maybe one or two episodes during its entire run, so I had no feelings one way or other about the actor.

I thought he was simply wonderful in MOTHER as Albert Brooks' younger brother.

DR Ron was absolutely right about his dour presence in last night's NUMBERS. He didn't crack a smile throughout the entire episode, but then I think of another FBI agent, Anthony LaPaglia in WITHOUT A TRACE, and I realized that he was no more dour than Anthony in his series.

I'm curious to see if any changes in characterization or plotting will occur from the filming of the pilot to the actual series getting underway. Should make for an interesting second episode.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 07:45:27 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2005, 07:43:54 AM »

I think I've answered the film set question before, but I'll say again - ANNIE GET YOUR GUN when Judy Garland was trying to act Annie. The bootleg videotape of outtakes I've had for years show her looking exhausted and distracted when the director yells, "Cut." Since the clips are copies of copies of copies, the video is very smeared and hard to discern details, so I wish I could have been there in person to see for myself.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2005, 07:44:57 AM »

I, too, would have picked either FOLLIES or A CHORUS LINE (the tape sessions), but since they've been taken already, I'll pick CAMELOT which underwent its own hellacious tryout period.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2005, 08:04:01 AM »

For those who didn't see it, the Producers Guild of America awarded its TV and movie prizes over the weekend.

Film - THE AVIATOR

TV drama - THE SOPRANOS

TV comedy - CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM

TV longform - ANGELS IN AMERICA

TV variety - THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW

TV nonfiction - THE AMAZING RACE

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2005, 08:09:13 AM »

Re:  Today's Notes:  Well, BK, you have hit the synchronicity nail on the head again (no mean feat).  When BK and I were getting to know each other many moons ago, I emailed him about a song on an obscure 1968 album by a Mamas & Papas-esque group called The Collage.  The song is called Driftin' and it was written by a B. Kimmel, so I thought it might be our own BK (it turned out to be Bobby Kimmel of the Stone Ponys).  In what I still consider a classic line, BK emailed me back "I would never write a song with a missing 'g' on the end."  The hilarious thing is this Collage album has 3 (count 'em, 3) songs with missing "g"'s on the end:  Driftin', Lookin' at a Baby, and She's Just Laughin' at Me.  Where or where have all the "g"'s gone?  Anyway, they do another song on that album called Any Day's a Sunday Afternoon, that has this prescient chorus:

It's a Monday afternoon on Friday
Thursday afternoon on Wednesday
Monday morning, Friday evening
Any day's a Sunday afternoon

Re:  Jan Akkerman.  BK, I mentioned this the last time you brought up Jan, but if you don't have it already, get his Atlantic album (out on import CD), S/T, that has the great picture of him in bed with the guitar turning into a woman (freaky cover, but great music).  You'll love it, I guarantee.  (Do you have the Toots Thielesmans album that originally came out on the same label as the Akkerman/Ogerman one, that also has Ogerman orchestrations?  He does a magnificent version of Percy's Maybe September on that one).

Movie Set:  Well, this is no surprise, but I would choose Come and Get It, probably on the day William Wyler took over for Howard Hawks.  I just got an incredible candid of Wyler screaming at Frances on-set.  She is sitting there with her head turned in an "I'm not listening to you" pose that is absolutely hysterical.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 08:11:03 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2005, 08:18:46 AM »

DR PANNI: Is your house close to the Farmers Market?

Yes, DR Hisaka -- but it's the Farmers Market in Studio City. I think you were at the Farmers Market off Fairfax.

Panni

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2005, 08:25:40 AM »

TOD - movie - perhaps A PLACE IN THE SUN. That's one. There are many others. More later, perhaps.
Stage - back at the Globe in the days of Shakespeare - any one of the plays
More "modern" - I'd like to have seen Tennessee Williams up close and personal at work - not to mention Kazan - so maybe STREETCAR (the young Brando would be a bonus with that one).
PRIVATE LIVES with Noel Coward and Gerturde Lawrence. The dialogue in the dressing rooms would have been as sparkling (and raunchier) as on the stage.
Musical - CAMELOT would have been fun - and DRAMATIC!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 09:31:20 AM by Panni »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2005, 08:52:43 AM »

How about this movie/Broadway show combo:  being a fly on the wall during the filming of "Grand Hotel" in the 1930s and then being around for the musical version, as well.  I don't know of any "stories" about the making of the movie (there must be with that cast!), but the Broadway rehearsals really must have been some trial for everyone.  First of all, writing the musical in the 1950s (was that the earliest that Wright and Forrest wrote it?); then in the early nineties, finally getting their "big break" with it; being fired (at least that's what I'd heard) and then having their leading man die (very sad).  That would be interesting, to say the least. ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 08:55:02 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2005, 09:13:33 AM »

I think I'd have loved being at the San Francisco theater where Mankiewicz first gathered his dream cast together for "All About Eve".

Ha-cha!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2005, 09:14:42 AM »

DR Ann:

Smile as much as you can....but, for now...on the INSIDE!

Healing thoughts and wishes to you.

Ron

Is it my imagination, or do buffalo wings taste like chicken?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 09:17:03 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2005, 09:15:05 AM »

What if there were no theoretical questions?

Panni

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2005, 09:21:47 AM »

Great to hear DR Ann is on the mend.

***GOOD VIBES TO DR ELMORE!***

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2005, 09:33:08 AM »

Yes, mending vibes to DR Ann.

Panni

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2005, 09:34:31 AM »

Could we declare a moratorium on the word "interesting"...?
(That's a rhetorical question.) I've edited myself twice this morning when I started to use it, replacing with the vacuous word "fun" - as in "That would have been fun."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2005, 09:38:10 AM »

Could we declare a moratorium on the word "interesting"...?
(That's a rhetorical question.) I've edited myself twice this morning when I started to use it, replacing with the vacuous word "fun" - as in "That would have been fun."

Hmmmm...i n t e r e s t i n g....but.....restrictive.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 09:38:37 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2005, 09:53:18 AM »

I dropped by my sister's house last night to watch the football game.  When I got in I noticed my earring was missing. :(

I knew I had it in the car because I remember checking.

So after the game I went with a flashlight but could not find it.

This morning I drove by again.  And I actually found it.  Her street had snow on it.  And it was in the middle of the street (not too busy, but still).  I'm sure cars must have driven over it including hers.  Yet it was completely undamaged. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2005, 10:02:32 AM »

I'm glad to hear DR ann is doing better.  More get well vibes. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JMK

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2005, 10:06:11 AM »

AOL Strikes Again Department:  I just signed on to a Usenet group that's been having a very active Frances discussion and got a little AOL alert stating that AOL will no longer provide access to Newsgroups.  What am I paying $23.95 a month for?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2005, 10:24:07 AM »

Does anyone know if there's a way on Google Groups to disguise your email so that you don't get spam?  All I've been able to do is create a nickname, but it still is keeping my email address.  I friggin' (missing g) HATE AOL!!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2005, 10:30:16 AM »

Does anyone know if there's a way on Google Groups to disguise your email so that you don't get spam?  All I've been able to do is create a nickname, but it still is keeping my email address.  I friggin' (missing g) HATE AOL!!!!

I was never able to find a way, DR JMK.  Since Google sends an activation link via e-mail, there's no way to spoof your address.  The ony way around this is to create another e-mail address that will be solely dedicated for Google Groups usage and that will wind up as a repository of spam.

I'm sorry about your frustration.  If only WebTV would cease access to newsgroups for their users...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2005, 10:31:51 AM »

Well...hmmmm MBARNUM has covered GUNSLINGER and JMK has covered COME AND GET IT.  So:

Movie set:  YOUNGBLOOD HAWKE to see Eva and Suzanne and James

TV set:  I Love Lucy - "Lucy Learns to Drive" or "Ricky Needs an Agent"

Broadway Musical: THE PAJAMA GAME to see Fosse work out "Steam Heat" and "Once a Year Day" and hear those songs over and over!

Broadway Play:  GOLDEN BOY -original Group Theatre cast
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2005, 10:32:52 AM »

I do have the Toots album, but not the other Akkerman album, which I'll check eBay for.

Favorite Geisha?  Shirley MacLaine, of course.

The "Farmer's Market" Panni speaks of has nothing to do with the "real" Farmer's Market - it's just a bunch of peculiar vendors on a side street in Studio City.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2005, 10:34:16 AM »

Is this a slow news day at haineshisway.com?

I overslept - I woke up at eight-thirty, but just put my head back on the pillow, and the next thing I knew it was ten.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2005, 10:34:58 AM »

Interesting is a fine word.  I use it quite often which, of course, is interesting.  In fact, I spend a lot of quality time using the word interesting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2005, 10:35:23 AM »

And one for Mahler.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up