Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE VERY NECESSARY HAIRCUT  (Read 4894 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE VERY NECESSARY HAIRCUT
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2018, 10:03:05 AM »

I actually am thinking aloud that this kind of debate is healthy, if it can be like on CNN, and nobody walks off in anger.  The role of art in trying to affect society is very "in" now, and I enjoy hearing perspectives from all angles.

I just get the feeling that in live theater, the only people who will go to the  trouble of buying tickets and going to the revised play are people who already agree with the concept.  (On TV, it can be a different thing, I guess.)

DR FJL, the last production of the play on Broadway with Natalie Portman(?) was Wendy Kesselman's revised script. A high school production of the play was the first play I ever saw around 1958 or so.  i had just finished reading the diary and couldn't wait to see it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2018, 10:04:01 AM »

Sandra asked me yesterday what my favorite restaurant is. I had to think, and honestly, I don't have an answer.

I am so proud of you for not saying McDonalds. :)

Ha! I only do McDonalds for ice cream cones (low fat) and maybe a breakfast biscuit.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2018, 10:14:38 AM »

This is not a good idea.

When you make everybody a "Nazi," then nobody is a Nazi.

How soon we forget.   :(

https://www.broadwayworld.com/los-angeles/article/Zimmerman-Sets-Cast-For-Re-Imagined-THE-DIARY-OF-ANNE-FRANK-in-LA-20180802

I think it's brilliant in the Nazi-Fascist threat this country is currently under.  ICE is no more than Trump's Gestapo.

ICE is not sending people to concentration camps where they are gassed. :(

Not yet.

I don't know how to respond to that remark...so I won't.

At least one immigrant child has died, several have been sexually molested in the current concentration camps, some children in these places have lost parents to deportation and administrative incompetence, people with documentation to stay in this country are being rounded up and deported, and the Nazi wannabe keeps rallying his idiot white trash supporters. Welcome to Berlin 1930.

When you compare what is happening today with people who have entered the USA illegally to the six million who were murdered during the Holocaust, you s**t on their memory.

I don't think I do in the least; but if your sense of humanity only sees the current plight of ICE victims as those "who have entered the USA illegally" then God help you.

Please don't put words in my mouth or question my humanity.

There is a MAJOR difference between detaining people who have entered the country illegally, then deporting them, and detaining 6 million Jews then murdering them.

I totally agree with Jane.  If you want to comment on the subject, write a new play.  Don't pirate a classic.

I doubt if Mr. Frank would approve of what these "artists" are doing.

Well, I do question your humanity a lot.  Where's the sympathy for these divided families? Send them back, but why be so cruel to people seeking asylum?

What the hell are they doing beyond producing the play with a Latino cast? How are they pirating it? Did I miss something? I've read the article twice now.

As to your comment There is a MAJOR difference between detaining people who have entered the country illegally, then deporting them, and detaining 6 million Jews then murdering them, you are right. However, many people being deported have legal claims to be here and ICE is ignoring that; soldiers who fought for the USA were promised citizenship and our little Hitler wannabe and his ICE are deporting them. How do we not know Trump's Final Solution isn't already in place? Even Adolph started small.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 10:20:12 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2018, 10:18:48 AM »

This is not a good idea.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/los-angeles/article/Zimmerman-Sets-Cast-For-Re-Imagined-THE-DIARY-OF-ANNE-FRANK-in-LA-20180802

I think it's brilliant in the Nazi-Fascist threat this country is currently under.  ICE is no more than Trump's Gestapo.

Not yet.

At least one immigrant child has died, several have been sexually molested in the current concentration camps, some children in these places have lost parents to deportation and administrative incompetence, people with documentation to stay in this country are being rounded up and deported, and the Nazi wannabe keeps rallying his idiot white trash supporters. Welcome to Berlin 1930.

When you compare what is happening today with people who have entered the USA illegally to the six million who were murdered during the Holocaust, you s**t on their memory.

I don't think I do in the least; but if your sense of humanity only sees the current plight of ICE victims as those "who have entered the USA illegally" then God help you.

There is a MAJOR difference between detaining people who have entered the country illegally, then deporting them, and detaining 6 million Jews then murdering them.

I totally agree with Jane.  If you want to comment on the subject, write a new play.  Don't pirate a classic.

What the hell are they doing beyond producing the play with a Latino cast? Did I miss something? I've read the article twice now.

As to this classic line There is a MAJOR difference between detaining people who have entered the country illegally, then deporting them, and detaining 6 million Jews then murdering them, you are right. However, many people being deported have legal claims to be here and ICE is ignoring that; soldiers who fought for the USA were promised citizenship and our little Hitler wannabe and his ICE are deporting them. How do we not know Trump's Final Solution isn't already in place? Even Adolph started small.

Are you really suggesting  that Trump has a "Final Solution" ala Hitler?

Are you insane?
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »

This is not a good idea.

Not yet.

What the hell are they doing beyond producing the play with a Latino cast? Did I miss something? I've read the article twice now.

As to this classic line There is a MAJOR difference between detaining people who have entered the country illegally, then deporting them, and detaining 6 million Jews then murdering them, you are right. However, many people being deported have legal claims to be here and ICE is ignoring that; soldiers who fought for the USA were promised citizenship and our little Hitler wannabe and his ICE are deporting them. How do we not know Trump's Final Solution isn't already in place? Even Adolph started small.

Are you insane?

I am suggesting it. And I think I'm seeing straighter than you on everything you've posted in this thread.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2018, 10:27:36 AM »

So, will someone tell me, what the hell are they doing beyond producing the play The Diary of Anne Frank with a Latino cast? How are they pirating it? Did I miss something? I've read the article twice now.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2018, 10:28:12 AM »

This is not a good idea.

Not yet.

Are you insane?

I am suggesting it. And I think I'm seeing straighter than you on everything you've posted in this thread.

You've answered my question. 
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2018, 10:49:20 AM »

To be real, the "production" is at a tiny crapbox theater of less than fifty seats and it plays twelve performances in Los Angeles - the creative team, such as it is, and the cast, such as it is, is, well, perhaps, less than stellar.  There are hundreds of these little things every year - sometimes they do this kind of thing to get noticed - the name of the production company should clue everyone in on who they are: Pop-Up Productions.  It seems rather silly to me to do this particular play about a real and very particular person with a Latino cast, but that's just me.  I don't think for a second that the Latino population would like it if Pop-Up Productions did a version of In the Heights with an all-white cast.

I don't think at this point in time it is possible to look at what's happening here and think it's good.  I think that is elmore's point and he is passionate about it.  Partisanship is a rather silly thing when it blinds to what can be clearly seen.

Laura

« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2018, 10:52:55 AM »

Sandra and I are going to "Kittypalooza" this morning. I don't expect we will come home with a kitty, but we will take a look.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2018, 10:54:58 AM »

Sandra and I are going to "Kittypalooza" this morning. I don't expect we will come home with a kitty, but we will take a look.

I wanna go too!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2018, 11:06:53 AM »

This is not a good idea.

Not yet.

Are you insane?

You've answered my question. 

Well, at least you had questions.  I've had your number for some time.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2018, 11:13:24 AM »

I checked.  Kesselman's revision of the original play opened on Broadway in 1997 with Natalie Portman,  In March 2018, there was a multu-racial prouduction in Charleston:
http://www.phillytrib.com/entertainment/the-diary-of-anne-frank-features-a-multi-racial-cast/article_dff380a6-e074-5968-8dfc-e675f93a2c5e.html

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2018, 11:55:10 AM »

My husband always chooses Golden Corral. Sandra chooses Quiznos (if we can find one; there aren't many left around here) or some place she can get something vegetarian.

Are there many Quiznos left anywhere?

There are a couple within 20 or so miles of where I live. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2018, 12:12:12 PM »

Bad taste "Golden Girls" moment - you've been warned!
when the "local Meryl Streep" starred in "Diary of Anne Frank"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj1PlxGt3qU

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2018, 12:21:14 PM »

This is not a good idea.

Then write an original story, don't steal Anne's.

Utterly ridiculous.

Why is this ridiculous?  It is how I feel.  I would not feel right about using her story to tell about the Armenian genocide just as I feel it is wrong to use Anne's story to tell of the plight of the immigrants.

George

« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2018, 12:32:58 PM »

T.O.D.

Janet Leigh                BYE, BYE BIRDIE
                                     PSYCHO
                                     THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE
                                     THE VIKINGS

I agred with the first three, but haven't seen the last one. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2018, 12:33:46 PM »

what is it - fish?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2018, 12:34:00 PM »

T.O.D.

Robert Fosse          DAMN YANKEES

Yes, and I'll add KISS ME, KATE!  As director, CABARET and SWEET CHARITY.

George

« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2018, 12:34:11 PM »

T.O.D.

Halley Mills                THE PARENT TRAP
                                     TIGER BAY
                                     THE MOONSPINNERS
                                     POLYANNA
                                     IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS
                                     THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS   

Of these, I've only seen (and have thoroughly enjoyed) THE PARENT TRAP, POLLYANNA and THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS.  I'll also add THAT DARN CAT! and WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2018, 12:36:59 PM »

I spent the entire night last night....well almost six hours of it - moving my Cast Albums and Soundtrack Albums from the two rooms they were in to the NEW Computer Room....and then putting them in alphabetical order....

By the time I was done, I was covered in dirt and my hands were nearly black with dust....BUT it is finished.

I also found out that I had 8 copies of the West Side Story soundtrack and 6 copies of the Sound of Music soundtrack...and 5 copies of the Oklahoma! soundtrack.

My sisters can come and take whatever they want of the duplicates....my sister Paula already got Funny Girl Soundtrack and OBC, State Fair OST, Grease OST, My Fair Lady OBC and Soundtrack, and a few others....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2018, 12:37:13 PM »

Going home vibes for the niece of DR TCB.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2018, 12:37:51 PM »

Many of us old fogies do our banking on the third of the month, MR BK....habit.....and convenience.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2018, 12:38:47 PM »

The Beauty and the Beast costumes which cost $6000+ to rent arrived yesterday in a semi trailer truck.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2018, 12:41:00 PM »

TOD:

Robert Fosse: Give a Girl a Break, All That Jazz, Cabaret

Janet Leigh: Everything except Bye Bye Birdie, but especially The Manchurian Candidate and Psycho.

Hayley Mills:  Parent Trap, Pollyanna, The Twisted Nerve, The Moonspinners, The Chalk Garden, The Trouble With Angels....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2018, 12:42:52 PM »

I think Janet Leigh wrote in her book that there was a representative from Wonderful Town on the set of the movie making sure that the songs were not anything like their songs and not even in the same place in the story as theirs.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2018, 12:43:22 PM »

DR CHAS SMITH I saw a production of A Year With Frog and Toad...and it seemed like it.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2018, 12:45:39 PM »

DR CHAS SMITH did FDR get rolled off the stage during the rain, or did he have to get up from his wheelchair....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2018, 12:46:08 PM »

Too much me on this page.

George

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2018, 01:06:21 PM »

George

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2018, 01:07:00 PM »

:D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up