Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SUPER BOWL SUNDAY  (Read 25620 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SUPER BOWL SUNDAY
« on: February 05, 2005, 11:59:21 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, they were Super Notes, you know all about our celebration, and now it is time for you to post until the Super Bowl Cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 11:59:48 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SUPER BOWL SUNDAY
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 12:02:55 AM »

New notes are up.

And the word of the day (courtesy of Pogue) is: PHLEGM.  What a fine word is PHLEGM.  Let us use it in new and exciting ways, shall we?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 12:02:55 AM »

Hmmm.... All the various servers must still be playing catch up... Still can't read the notes....

Let's try again...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 12:08:49 AM »

I forgot to say (in last night's last post of mine) that I got a coconut cream pie at Shari's!!  It was quite good!  If I hadn't brushed my teeth already, I would've had another piece.  But I did, so I'll have to wait until later in the day to have more.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 12:09:02 AM »

New Notes Read: Check!

Good Morning!

...I just checked CompUSA's website to see what the in-store specials were for this coming week, and, lo and behold, it said that were NO in-store specials this week.  How unseemly!

-Maybe that will change in the morning, and they're just updating the site and that "sign" was a sort of placeholder, but still...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 12:09:21 AM »

Welcome six GUESTS.  We're talkin' about whatever we feel like, and we're talkin' about PHLEGM.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 12:09:21 AM »

I've never been here for The Big Changeover before. That was pretty cool. Like watching the sunrise, which is just a few hours off here anyway. The downside is I'll have no new column to look forward to when I wake up!

Here's a guess at the big twist in Hide and Seek. You do not have to agree or disagree: Someone who seemed alive actually turns out to have been dead the whole time! Just a guess, folks.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 12:10:36 AM »

BK - Which CD/DVD burning software are you using?  Are you using Toast (with or without Jam), MacBurn, etc.?  Or are you just using the iTunes and iDVD interfaces?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 12:11:13 AM »

No, that's not it.

STOP READING HERE IF YOU INTEND TO SEE THIS FILM.

Think of a recent Johnny Depp movie or think of a well-known Brad Pitt movie, or if you want to go way back, think of Tom Tryon's The Other.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 12:12:28 AM »

I just use iTunes, which is easy and great.  I know you can do more things with Jam and Toast, but it's just one more thing to learn.  That's what I like about iTunes and iDVD and iPHOTO and iMovie - easy to use.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 12:14:36 AM »

OK... I need to get some sleep...  However, my parents are not home.  And both their cars are in the garage.  Hmmm...  I'm guessing they went out with some of their friends - which they've done in the past, just not to my recent memory - at least not this late.  So...

...Ah, I hear a car door slamming now...

Whew!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 12:16:15 AM »

And I hear - PHLEGM!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 12:16:35 AM »

DR MBarnum - Great story (from yesterday)!  When I was a kid, I had a bad habit of starting some hard-boiled eggs on the stove, then going in the backyard to play.  Then a few minutes later, my Mom and/or my Dad would be yelling at me from the kitchen window...  -Not a pretty sight.  And very hard to clean up.  Ugh!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 12:16:36 AM »

Speaking of PHLEGM, where in tarantion IS Pogue?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 12:17:02 AM »

iPod is on and I'm being serenaded by my beautiful Joe Hisaishi playlist.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2005, 12:18:04 AM »

Ah, that sort of twist. No worries here. I plan on never seeing the film.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2005, 12:22:20 AM »

OH...  And I guess that sort of leads to a Topic...

Is there any food/dish/etc. that you've always wanted to "master", but still get less than stellar results?

For myself, strangely enough, it's rice.  Plain, ole boiled/steamed rice.  Filipinos grow up on rice.   And I did.  However, whenever I make it - either measuring the water and rice out and cooking it on the stove, or using a "foolproof" rice-maker - it's either too dry or way too wet.  Even my parents are surprised that I can't make rice properly.  And they still use the traditional "finger method" where you pour enough rice in the pot to reach one knuckle, then pour in water to reach the next knuckle.  Perfect rice every time.  For them.

???
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2005, 12:22:26 AM »

I will not be celebrating Stuper Bowl Sunday, but my housemate Peter will be.  He (Peter) has invited a friend of his (Phil) and Phil's son, as well as his (Peter's) "ladyfriend" and her daughter.  They're all nice people, but they're not my friends.  I don't plan to join them, although I have been invited.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2005, 12:22:48 AM »

Kiki's Delivery Service by Hisaishi is currently up on the iPod.  It's my favorite of all the Miyazaki films - I may have to watch it again tomorrow.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2005, 12:23:27 AM »

OK... If I can get five hours of sleep...

:-\

Goodnight.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 12:23:59 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2005, 12:23:42 AM »

I am the master of all three dishes I cook.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2005, 12:24:35 AM »

There are things I'd like to learn how to cook, like some nice chicken dishes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2005, 12:25:22 AM »

Has Ann caught up yet?  

George

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2005, 12:25:29 AM »

I don't know what I'll be doing, but I won't have easy access to HHW.  Darn. :( I may just stay in my room, watch DVDs and videotapes and read.  I would not mind doing that.  Actually, that might be a real good idea.  I have a lot of videos to catch up on.

Okay, mini-rant:  On Friday, I forgot to tape BOTH "Star Trek:  Enterprise" and "Battlestar Galactica."  I set my VCR to tape BOTH re-broadcasts and I got "BG" but something happened with "ST:E."  I came home from Shari's (last night, although it's only been about an hour or so) and the VCR that I had set to tape Enterprise was turned on (you have to turn it off to set the timer) and there was NO TAPE IN THE VCR!!  My housemate must have accidentally ejected the tape trying to watch a Blockbuster tape (there is one on the coffee table right now).  Yesterday morning, he had to ask (and write down) directions on how to use the VCR!  And I told him specifically which VCR and which remote to use.  This guy has led a sheltered life.  Anyway, I do not have an episode of "ST:E" to watch at all.  Darn!  End of rant.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2005, 12:30:11 AM »

There used to be a chain restaurant growing up in Indiana called "Shakey's". It was a fun place for kids, they showed silent movies on the wall and all that, but they had, as part of their buffet, these enormous, flat fried potatoes. All the Shakey's closed in those parts and I've been craving those things for about 10 years now. I found a recipe on the internet for Shakey's "Mojo Potatoes". We tried to make them one night, and started an oil fire and smoked out the whole apt. And what we had were nothing like the potatoes from Shakey's. So that is both a cooking disaster story and a food I have yet to master.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2005, 12:36:43 AM »

When I was MUCH younger and married with YOUNG child, we ate at Shakey's all the time and loved the Mojo Potatoes.  We still have our local Shakey's - about six minutes from where I live.  Perhaps I'll go there and see if they still have them Mojo Potatoes.

George

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2005, 12:38:54 AM »

Let me clarify something in my mini-rant:  I have two VCRs in my living room, one right on top of the other.  I told Peter, my housemate, to use the bottom VCR and I specified which remote to use.

Peter and his ladyfriend just came home.  Yes, they admit to ejecting my tape while trying to watch their tape.  Damn them!!

George

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2005, 12:40:58 AM »

I can't remember if it was when my family lived in Ft. Carson, Colorado (1973-1976), or when we moved here to Olympia, Washington (in 1976) or both, but we used to go to a Shakey's Pizza.  I specifically remember it being "Shakey's Pizza."  I don't remember anything about Mojo potatoes, though.  I wonder if it's the same chain.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 12:41:24 AM by George »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2005, 12:41:55 AM »

Shakey's lives? I had heard there was one in Tokyo. A few survivors in Oklahoma or someplace... But California?  Oh, Mojo Potatoes, you will be mine again.

Is there a food Fedex-type service? I would pay a hearty fee for Mojo Potatoes.

George

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2005, 12:42:58 AM »

Well, I have to go to my bedroom.  I'm not quite ready to go to sleep, but I'll take the "Battlestar Galactica" tape with me.  Good night all!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up