Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SUPER BOWL SUNDAY  (Read 25581 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SUPER BOWL SUNDAY
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2005, 01:24:56 AM »

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2005, 01:26:00 AM »

Holy moley on rye - page three!  Now THAT'S a late-night do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2005, 01:26:11 AM »

I had pizza for dinner tonight.  A rather nice frozen one the wife picked up at Big Lots, I think, or maybe Trader Joe's...I don't know...It warn't bad, as frozen pizza goes...just not enough of it...I just ate some god awful microwave popcorn.  The fat free variety that tastes like cardboard with a slight butter flavour.  I now feel like vomiting on the ground.

Rodzinski, what in the heck are you doing up till four in the morning.  I mean I know were scintillating raconteurs , but...man does not live by wit and repartee alone...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2005, 01:28:04 AM »

I use the fat free microwave, but the non-buttered variety - I put my own fresh melted butter on it, and it's not bad.  I get the Healthy Choice brand.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2005, 01:28:26 AM »

Man does not live by PHLEGM alone.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2005, 01:29:32 AM »

...I should have said wit and repartee and useless cultural knowledge...speaking of which...Max Schmelling died yesterday.  He was 92.  

The call of the wild wusses is echoing in my ears and I must answer it.  PHLEGM to all.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2005, 01:31:23 AM »

I think it was the healthy choice brand...Do you hear it....WOOOUSSSS!  WOOOUSSS!  The wild wooly wusses beckon!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2005, 01:34:35 AM »

Rodzinski has still not answered my question as to why he rambles so late at night.  Is he one of the...(organ sting!)...UNDEAD!

Wooousss!  There they go again!  I answer your plaintive cry, O wild wooly wusses!  I come!  I come!... I go!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2005, 01:39:01 AM »

Well, really, I'm going.  I see I'm just sitting here talking to myself.  Wooouuussss!

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2005, 02:07:29 AM »

How about Autumn Equinox, for your new book title, dear BK?
It gives you as long daylight as Vernal Equinox does, or it gives you as long darkness as Vernal Equinox does. Yes, Equi and Nox.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2005, 02:12:15 AM »

As two days of my absence from HHW, go back to the preior posts for two and half days.

Jed

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2005, 02:48:35 AM »

I don't know from NW Indiana, but here in central Washington we were also diversification-free.  Our Shakey's was pizza only.  Didn't last long, only two years or so around 1985ish, I seem to remember.  I also seem to think that the one here was take-and-bake, or at least had that as an option.  What was odd was that they moved in to a building adjacent to the Pizza Hut, sharing a parking lot.  Either way, the building is now a (thoroughly non-inspiring, IMHO) Mexican restaurant.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2005, 02:53:08 AM »

It was a fun place for kids, they showed silent movies on the wall and all that...

I'd never heard of such a thing until I saw an ad just this afternoon that a place here in town is going to start showing silent movies on their wall.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2005, 06:08:39 AM »

I'd like to inform you DRs that I just ordered the following 5 DVDs, which I've never seen before, on amazon.co.jp. Thank you all for your nice cooperation!

Swing Time, 7 Brides For 7 Brothers, Kiss Me Kate, The Harvey Girls and A Star Is Born (Judy Garland version).

The DVDs from these 5 titles, The Band Wagon, Meet Me In St Louis, 42nd Street (1933),1776 and Easter Parade are still to be released here in Japan.

Broadway Melody (will be on sale 2/25), I wonder if Broadway Melody of 1938 is  different from Broadway Melody of 1940 or not.  I'd like to have some information about it. ???

Unfortunately, I yet couldn't find these 3 titles, The Apple, Can't Stop The Music, Gypsy, on amazon.co.jp or on other sites. I'll wait for their arrivals in Japan.

Re The First Nudie Musical, I'm going to get VHS on amzon soon.

Maybe I'll  get A Song In The Dark ( a book) in the future as well.

Basta cosė!

I still welcome your suggestions and/or other new recommendations. Thank you ALL! :D

Michael

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2005, 06:18:52 AM »

I found BK comment that Billy Wilder was better know for his writing than his director interesting. It is something I never heard before

Since he always wrote with partners among them: IAL Diamond (12 films), Charles Bracket (18 films) I would be hard pressed to say what was Wilder and what was his partner contribution. But I feel that his writing and directing went hand in hand.

Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2005, 06:59:07 AM »

What if I don't use the word of the day, and just say Marisa Berenson?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2005, 08:27:57 AM »

I can't remember if it was when my family lived in Ft. Carson, Colorado (1973-1976), or when we moved here to Olympia, Washington (in 1976) or both, but we used to go to a Shakey's Pizza.  I specifically remember it being "Shakey's Pizza."  I don't remember anything about Mojo potatoes, though.  I wonder if it's the same chain.
Shakey's doesn't list any restaurants in Colorado on their website.  They do list Washington, so that's more likely where you found the pizza.  I'd provide the link, but the website stinks in a phlegmish way.

My own memories of Shakey's predates the seventies, as we would often go there for pizza back in the mid-60s.  Ours didn't have the mojo potatoes; those came along later, as did the buffet with chicken and the rest of the stuff.

The first time we went, the local Shakey's had just opened.  My Dad called from work, after having just come in from a road trip, and told Mom that we were all going to dinner.  Mom, naturally, had my sister and myself put on our best clothes.  Naturally, when we got to Shakey's we were all quite overdressed.  My sister was mortified, as she had just entered her young-girl-gets-mortified years (and at last tally still hasn't left them).  I just enjoyed the pizza, and the fact that we could watch them making the pizzas, too!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2005, 08:31:09 AM »

DR George, I'm sorry you missed this week's ENTERPRISE. It was an outstanding resolution to last week's cliffhanger, and had a little of everything: a good fight scene, some heartfelt emoting from Scott Bakula, some genuine tension with the trapped Tripp and Malcolm, and the death of a character which led to some hostile feelings.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2005, 08:31:24 AM »

Any art books we have of works by the early Phlegm masters are probably still downstairs, boxed up.  At least they're in spitting distance.

8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2005, 08:37:59 AM »

I just don't get this talentless rich girl.  She's not even pretty.
The key word in all of this is "rich."  Everything else is pointless.

Which is a good thing.  If anything else had a point, that point might just burst her bubble.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2005, 08:39:34 AM »

BROADWAY MELODY of 1938 is most definitely different from BROADWAY MELODY of 1940. Both have their pluses and both have Eleanor Powell. The former also has Judy Garland singing one of her first movie signature tunes "You Made Me Love You" to Clark Gable's photo. It's a great moment, and there are some pleasant musical interludes.

BM of 1940 has Fred Astaire and George Murphy dancing up a storm, particularly the most memorable "Begin the Beguine" tap dance finale with Eleanor Powell and Fred, one of THE great movie dances ever.

Neither of the films has a memorable plot; it's the musical numbers in each that make them must viewing today.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2005, 08:44:10 AM »

The plans are right now to watch THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING Extended Edition today. But my friend who's having a Super Bowl party later today called last night to say that he might need me to come over in the early afternoon and recalibrate his HDTV before his party starts. He's been fiddling with the settings I had done for him, and now the picture isn't up to where it was. He didn't write down the settings I had calibrated, so now we're going to need to do it again. He was going to fiddle with it soem more, but if he couldn't recapture what we had previously, he's going to need me back there.

So, my viewing of LOTR might get interrupted this afternoon. Drat!

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2005, 08:46:37 AM »

Yep, bk's hint on HIDE AND SEEK's resolution was exactly what I anticipated. My goodness, there must be dozens of movies that have used that twist, and it's definitely one that needs a rest.

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2005, 09:20:23 AM »

DR Hisaka, you will have some fun movies to watch!!

Are there any good Japanese musicals? Those would be fun to see!

Kerry

« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2005, 09:49:18 AM »

The Superbowl?  Aren't the Detroti Red Sox and the Los Angeles Oriloes playing in it this year?  Or is it the Utah Dolphins-- I forget.
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2005, 09:51:33 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from the Apple Store Clarendon in Arlington, VA.  I'm taking the "Advanced Getting Started Class".  Quite informative.  I'm pretty sure I'll be taking advantage of the other classes offered here - and other Apple Stores.

Back in a little bit...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2005, 09:54:46 AM »

No Super Bowl for me today, either..I am going to finish watching the Bollywood movie that I started last night and then I will work on my Tony Russel interview. I was hoping for nice weather today so I could plant some of the primroses that I purchased yesterday...but it is windy, rainy, and stormy out...so guess I will stay indoors.

Kerry

« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2005, 09:55:50 AM »

Well I'll go along with pie because you had CAKE day last week.  I like Boston Cream Pie (because it's cake calling itself Pie) and Rhubarb Pie.

Favorite Bogart:

"Casablanca," "Sabrina," "Dark Passage," "Maltese Falcon," "Petrified Forest"  and so many others.

Cageney:--
"Love Me or Leave Me," "Yankee Doodle Dandy," of course, "Public Enemy," "Roaring Twenties," "GoldDiggers of 1933," "Boy Meets Girl"  Cagney was like a bundle of dynamite-- so much energy just waiting for an outlet.

Who was the third one?  I'll have to go back and check.  I need to read yesterday's notes, too.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 09:56:30 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2005, 09:57:11 AM »

As for Shakey's...

-The guy is covering some topics I know already, so...

When we lived in Seattle most of our birthdays were held at Shakey's.  I still remember the smiley face made with pepperoni slices on the pizza, with a marshmallow as a nose and the candle holder.  However, I don't ever remember the Mojo Potatoes.

When we moved to DC, there were still a few Shakey's in the area.  However, they became very adult - basically a place to drink beer, smoke cigarettes, oh..and eat pizza.

I do remember the Shakey's on Santa Monica Blvd. a few blocks down from the Hudson Theatre (when I was in LA last summer).  It always looked very dark inside.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2005, 09:57:50 AM »

#2 Bollywood movie for the weekend is YAKEEN (1969). I am loving this movie! A government clerk becomes inadvertently embroiled in espionage!

Stars two of my fave 1960s stars Dharmendra and Sharmila Tagore.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up