Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: NO MORE CANDY  (Read 24686 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
NO MORE CANDY
« on: November 02, 2003, 12:35:49 AM »

Well, if you've read the notes you'll know all about this evening.  You'll be in the know, which is better than being in the no.  

If you didn't peruse yesterday's posts, do so, for there are a lot of fun images for you to check out.  Here's another photo from the Kritzer era - this one right out of Benjamin Kritzer - the Dome Theater on the Ocean Park boardwalk.  An amazing photo.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 12:19:39 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:NO MORE CANDY
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 12:47:58 AM »

A question to start the day: I have read a few posts about the "Follies" book and on searching for prices etc noticed books entitled "One More Kiss" about 1970's musical and also "Colored Lights" about and by Kander and EBB. Do DRs have any opinions about the books and are there others that they can recommend. I have books about "A Chorus Line", Bob Fosse, Michael Bennett and of course Sondheim.
The review of "Colored Lights" suggests that it included information up to and including "The Visit".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 05:52:12 AM »

What a beautiful day it is here! I feel like singing, So everyone join in

Song #!

Sunday, sweet Sunday,
With nothing to do,
Lazy and lovely,
My one day with you.

Hazy and happy,
We'll drift through the day,
Dreaming the hours away.

While all the funny papers lie or fly around the place
I will try my kisses on your funny face.

Dozing, then waking,
On Sunday you'll see...
On...ly... me!

Sunday, sweet Sunday,
On Sunday you'll see...
On...ly... me!

or my favorite

Sunday,
By the blue
Purple yellow green water.
On the green
Purple yellow red grass
Let us pass
Through our perfect park,
Pausing on a Sunday,
By the cool
Blue triangular water
On the soft
Green elliptical grass
As we pass
Through arrangements of shadows
Towards the verticals of trees
Forever...
By the blue
Purple yellow green water
On the green
Orange violet mass
Of the grass...
in our perfect park

and what is your favorite Sunday song???

Or your favorite November song?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 05:52:45 AM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 07:12:18 AM »

Hey Danise: I still don't see a picture or a smiley.  Email me if you need more help.

For Swishy Sarah: I can't believe that people with young children would get drunk like that. Very irresponsible.  It's amazing though at your age, that you have already realized so much.

For BK: How pathetic am I? I read the notes first. And I still didn't know what you were talking about for tonight. I must have missed the last sentence of the first page.But I went back! Oy.

I am sick, sick, sick. Yuck, yuck yuck. My sinuses are hurting very badly. But luckily I have sinus pills which help a lot.

Maybe i'll check back later today.

And yes "hide" bolds. But that makes no sense. I really want the spoiler feature!!! :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 07:22:10 AM »

DR Tom - I was less than impressed with One More Kiss - the movie about Broadway in the 1970's  Maybe because I am such a great fan of earlier shows.

I loved Everything Was Possible - the Follies book.  I would recommend Opening Nights on Broadway - there are two volumes.  The shows are listed alphabetically and you can read what the critics thought about each show when it opened.  Author Steven Suskin also gives some info about each show.  First volume goes up to 1964 - second volume starts there and goes to the 1980's (I think).

Also The Making of Gypsy by Keith Garebian - a slim volume about how that show was put together.

And Ethan Mordden (author of One More Kiss) did better in other books Beautiful Morning: Broadway in the 1940's  

Coming Up Roses : Broadway in the 1950's and Open a New Window: Broadway in the 1960's.

Since I enjoyed the other books, I was surprised in didn't like One More Kiss - but it may have been because I had just read Everything was Possible.

I am loving the Kritzer photographs!  Makes the places in the books seem so more real when you know exactly what they looked like!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 07:25:58 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 07:33:47 AM »

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/705/

Here's a nice website of theatres around the world.  The one in the link USED to be the Cinerama Theatre where we saw How the West Was Won and Mad Mad Mad Mad World - it is now the home of the Indiana Repertory Theatre where out of work New York Actors come to do crappy plays.

There is a REASON they are out of work in NYC!  They aren't good actors!  There is a reason why these plays have not been produced....or revived....they are BAD plays!

Ugh1
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 07:34:29 AM by JRand53 »

td

• td
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2003, 07:50:07 AM »

JRand, thank you so much for that link!  I relived my childhood reading about The Nixon, The Penn, The Warner and the current Benedum Center and Heinz Hall.
Great site with some great pictures and comments.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 07:56:17 AM »

td - Sites like this make me realize why I LOVE the internet!  Glad you could find some photos.  Most of the theatres in my area don't have photos listed. Darn it!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2003, 08:05:58 AM »

My screen is in Cinemascope, just for the record. That's OK. I can scroll to see the few words that get lopped off the side (my own version of panning and scanning).

I read ONE MORE KISS months ago, and I found it excellent. Of course, Mordden is such a fan of SOndheim that naturally I think he's a genius writer, but I think he had poorer shows to work with than he did with his earlier books. And, as this is the last of his decade survey books, nostalgia possibly played a part in my liking it. Of course, he only gives a chapter to FOLLIES while Chapin's entire book was about it. Like comparing apples and oranges. Chapin's book should win some sort of award, however. It's that good.

Kander's book hasn't been published yet, I don't think, but I will certainly pick up a copy when it's available. (I know the release is imminent.) He should have many fascinating stories to tell about his experiences in the theater, especially since he's worked with so many greats and created some of the great shows of the last 40 years in the process.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2003, 08:22:29 AM »

I deleted my post MattH - that was probably the culprit.  

Emily

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2003, 08:40:47 AM »

Jennifer one word for that sinus pain problem of yours:

CODEINE!!!!

cuz when ya got it... use it!!

(I should be getting paid by the codeine industry of Canada for all this promotion work)

:)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Danise

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2003, 08:51:53 AM »

Good morning all!

You mean NO ONE can see my smilies, Jennifer?   Sigh!  Well, I guess they aren't that important.  I  just won't use them.  

Sorry to hear your still not feeling well.  Hope you get better soon.

I've got to cut down on the candy myself.  I did real good at the start of the year and then.....  It's hard with the Holidays just around the corner.  We have goodies down at work almost every day.  

Have a happy Sunday all!

D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2003, 09:05:16 AM »

BK - I had planned on sending you some more sour gummis but I'll wait until you go off your diet.  I would not want to be the cause of this happening.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2003, 09:12:03 AM »

DR JRand, it was an interesting pic. Can you downsize it and put it back up. And some explanation about it, too, would be appreciated. Mud wrestling?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2003, 09:22:43 AM »

;D

Just a picture to celebrate DR Noel's victory over the elements.  Now of course, it's too small!  :(
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 09:23:33 AM by JRand53 »

td

• td
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2003, 09:53:14 AM »

Well, if there's to be NO MORE CANDY, what about eye-candy?

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2003, 09:59:37 AM »

If you are a movie fan -  check out this link.  It is Nitpickers where viewers spot "mistakes" or "goofs" in movies and television series.

Pretty funny stuff!

http://www.nitpickers.com/

And here is your Allison Hayes Picture of the Day - as she is about to be grilled by Perry Mason!

Ben

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2003, 10:05:35 AM »

Beautiful pic, JRand, although at very first glance I thought, "Oh, what a nice shot of Agnes Moorehead" Then I looked closer.

We're about to go out grocery shopping. A chore in NYC that I have mentioned before. I like doing it on Long Island or in the suburbs but when you need a cart and you have no elevator, it's drudgery!

Ben

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2003, 10:07:04 AM »

JRand, you may get to 200 posts today! Wonder what happens?

I, by the way, won't be at chat tonight. Perhaps next Monday.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2003, 10:10:08 AM »

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?  Jennifer, at the end of part one of the notes is the news about our Unseemly Live Chat this evening.

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?

I'm all for a lazy Sunday, but we must have some posts to read for our lazy mental delectation.

Here is a paperback book cover from the 70s - so awful yet so perfect.  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2003, 10:10:55 AM »

Good morning all.  I apologize for my E&Tness yesterday.  I have been unusually good with halloween candy and food in general, going into this holiday season.  But yesterday I was VERY bad and ate a late supper of a Zesty Chicken Bowl from Taco Bell.  I must say, those things are absolutely delicious.  Drat...another food to resist.  Bugger it all...  
Post more later...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2003, 10:13:37 AM »

Oh, yes, re the Follies book and the Kander and Ebb book:

I read the Follies book.  It's certainly a must-have if you love the show and if you'd like to know the process of putting on a musical.  I found it a bit dry and a bit frustrating at times, but it's mesmerizing nonetheless.

I've heard the Kander and Ebb book is fun, but know it's an oral history, in other words, it's in "their" words, taken from a series of interviews.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2003, 10:50:42 AM »

Where is everybody?  Nobody told me that this site was closed on Sunday.  Perhaps we need one of those telephone chain lists, where each person is responsible for calling and checking on five or more other people.  Unfortunately, the few of us that are here today would be very busy calling E & T members.

I love all of your artwork, BK.  I would love to see the rest of your house, as well.  Do you have other photos of your home that you can share, or is that too personal?

td:  That guy from The Mummy was a very interesting man.  Has he done other films?  Does he look just as good with clothes on as off?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2003, 11:13:53 AM »

Hellloooo!

The party I went to last night ended up lasting all night, and I just got up.  It was a lot of fun--it was a joint birthday party for Macbeth and my other friend Brett.  Swishy, you're so wise about the dangers of alcohol.  There were a few people at the party who did drink too much, although no one got really rowdy or destructive.

I SOOO need to buy Everything Was Possible.  Next paycheck, it's happening.

BK--I'm loving the pics!  You must have such an amazing art collection!  

Jennifer--Healthy, no-sinus vibes!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now for a pleasing random bit of Parrish kitsch...

Tomovoz

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2003, 11:14:04 AM »

Thought I should at least say that I've just received my wake up call from TCB and thus realise it is indeed Sunday in NY and such places and that Ishould be posting. I shall now phone François and then go back to sleep. Thanks to Jack. Matt & BK for your thoughts on the books. Thanks TCB for your thoughts too (or most of them). I WILL be back later. I need to go back to bed and sleep and dream of November and Sunday songs. I can onlt think of "Sunday and Me" by Jay & the Americans, and "November Rain" by Guns N Roses (which I would rather not think about at all). And speaking of Mummies, no doubt you all have Rod McKuen's pop song of early sixties vintage which I think was called "I'm A Mummy". (I think McKuen was recording as Bob McFadden).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2003, 11:32:42 AM »

DR Emily wrote:
Jennifer one word for that sinus pain problem of yours:

CODEINE!!!!

cuz when ya got it... use it!!

(I should be getting paid by the codeine industry of Canada for all this promotion work)

What sinus meds have that in it?

I've been using Sinus and cold advil and it really works. I also took some syrupy stuff before i went to bed (that was for colds and noses).  I keep waking up at 3am and I'm too fidgety and sick to sleep (and I NEVER have trouble sleeping).

My sis and her hubby came over again today and we packed up all the christmas gifts to send to his sister in Nunavut.  But unfortunately one of the boxes was too small.  So they will send a bigger box back tonight.

BK wrote;
Jennifer, at the end of part one of the notes is the news about our Unseemly Live Chat this evening.

Yes I saw it. But only after you mentioned that there was "something" tonight in your first post. For some reason I must have been trigger happy and I totally had never read the last line on page 1.

DR Danise. From which site are you trying to copy your smilies?  You can always just choose from the 12 smilies on this site.  If you take your smiles from clicksmilies then the instructions I gave you should work.  Come on you can do it. I want you to be able to post smilies!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2003, 12:06:40 PM »

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/705/

Here's a nice website of theatres around the world.  The one in the link USED to be the Cinerama Theatre where we saw How the West Was Won and Mad Mad Mad Mad World - it is now the home of the Indiana Repertory Theatre where out of work New York Actors come to do crappy plays.

There is a REASON they are out of work in NYC!  They aren't good actors!  There is a reason why these plays have not been produced....or revived....they are BAD plays!

Ugh1

JRand53 -- I'm having trouble remembering, although I've seen the theater.  What is its proximity to the circle?  And that high-rise in the background...is that they Hyatt?

From what I remember about them, repertory theaters get actors from all over, not just New York.  A great number of them are out of drama departments from colleges around the country.  Despite strenous, nervewracking audition processes, the ones who do get through aren't usually much better than beginners right out of high school Thespian Societies, IMO.  But, Repertory is where they learn their craft...or used to.

I may be wrong about this, too, but, because it is repertory, and not lushly funded, aren't a lot of those plays used because they don't cost a fortune to get performance rights?    Hopefully, though, you do get some professional actors in starring roles thrown into a couple of the better-known plays in the repertoire (supported by the company performers) to make the subscriber package attractive.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 12:19:50 PM by Ron Pulliam »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2003, 12:18:33 PM »

Well, the drunk husband from last night just stopped by, wanting to know if they had paid me or not. I said yes, they had given me a twenty, and he said he had a check for me with the correct payment. To quote, "I guess I had a little bit more to drink last night than I expected...when exactly did we pay you? And um...do you know why the gate in the kithen is broken?"

But, at least he apologized, and I'm guessing the kids are all OK. The wife also called, and apologized, saying that they felt bad about setting such a bad example, and that they were proud that I used my instincs to call my parents instead of letting them drive. As nice as that is, I'm just going to have to think twice before I babysit for them again.

BK: I love these pictures, especially the one you posted today. It's so...movie-ish. I look at that, and my brain automatically sets into "they certainly must have had fun getting into costume to make that movie", because I can't picture anything like that actually...existing. Does that make sense? Anyway, they're very cool.

I'm babysitting again, tonight, in about 45 minutes, so I might not make it to chat, depending on how late they are. If they leave their computer on, I'm allowed to use it, so I might be able to drop in. We shall see. These people will NOT be drunk, and if they are, I can walk home, it's only 3 houses away.

LET'S MAKE IT TO PAGE TWO! Oh, and I granted some Karma to some people yesterday! How fun :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2003, 12:23:30 PM »

No, no, no (that is three nos or one big nose) this will NOT do.  Skammen, as Mr. Ingmar Bergman would say.  I know the psychology here - everyone thinks, oh, well, everyone else is posting so I'll just be errant and truant for a while, and then no one ends up posting except us chickens.  This will NOT do, so let the errant and truant get off their lazy loafing butt cheeks and do some postin'.  

Here's a wonderful magazine illustration painting by Harry Morse Meyers - it hangs above my bed.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2003, 12:25:11 PM »

Ya know, Sarah, there's something terribly wrong about the situation with the drunk father.  

You also indicated his wife was inebriated, too?  And I got the implicattion that they drove themselves from wherever they were and were ready to drive you home, too?

If that is the case, they are breaking one of the nation's most severe laws, they are endangering EVERYone on the road (in fact, everyone with whom a moving car could come into contact), and they are endangering their children by putting their futures on the line to become orphans.  And your knowing this situation exists sort of makes you "complicit" in the mix.  How? By the fact that you know, from experience, that they come home drunk...that they were driving...and thus, that they were violating laws.

Do acquaintances let acquaintances drive when they're drunk?  Where does the 'responsibility' stop in possibly saving someone's life?

I'd make some HUGE brownie points with my parents, if I were you, and sit down and discuss these things with them.  

Just a thought....
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 12:29:16 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up