Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: NO MORE CANDY  (Read 24416 times)

td

• td
Re:NO MORE CANDY
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2003, 02:26:51 PM »

I just got in from a little trip to the video trading post, and what should mhy eyes behold? ? ?

I found FINDING NEMO

not to mention the first season of ALIAS. . .
and the new recording of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2003, 02:29:56 PM »

Is the house still upside? All Australian houses are like that of course.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2003, 02:30:44 PM »

NEMO is two days early being put out. You're SO lucky! I'm looking forward to Tuesday.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2003, 02:31:28 PM »

I hope to fin Nemo in the mail very soon but please - not in the same format as that td.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2003, 02:32:17 PM »

DR Tom, yes, it's still that way. I live in a perpetual state of topsy-turvy. So do you!  :D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2003, 02:43:43 PM »

Doncha hate that?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2003, 02:45:55 PM »

Jrand, that wouldn't be The Court Jester, would it? :)
I absolutely love that movie.  Get it? (got it) Good!

François

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2003, 02:56:34 PM »

Do you wanna know?

I know you don't but i'll tell you anyway!

FINDING NEMO is available on dvd in the States while it has not been shown in theaters here! -- coming up at the end of Nov. only!

Something fishy about that, hey?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2003, 02:56:38 PM »

LOL DR Ann - you are no uncouth interloper.  And watch out for magnetized armor if there is a thunderstorm.

Nobody can outfox the FOX!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2003, 03:01:11 PM »

NEMO is two days early being put out. You're SO lucky! I'm looking forward to Tuesday.

You are cordially invited to come over anytime for a private showing, DR Matt.    ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2003, 03:02:23 PM »

Hello all.  I'm sorry for being E&T all weekend but I have been busy seeing a couple of shows and enjoying the freakishly warm weather we are having.  Plus there were so many posts the other night that I fell asleep at my desk while trying to catch up..!  I'm probably missing some things I wanted to reply to, but here's what I have off the top of my head.

Ann - I am originally from Hawaii, and I can tell you the novelty of snow wore off long ago.  But it was pretty amazing to me to see it for the first time.  :)

td - I lived in Pittsburgh for a year and went to a concert at the Benedum Center once.  What a beautiful building!

Ben - loved the Halloween pictures!

Noel - sorry to hear about your experience yesterday.  My roommate and I were mildly inconvenienced by the subway fire, but nothing like what you went through!  Glad you were still able to enjoy the opera.

Jennifer - hope you feel better soon.

Sarah - everyone else has basically said what I think about the drunk parents, so I won't repeat it, but I think you handled the situation very well.  And congrats on the new job!

Here is something I feel like getting off my chest: Yesterday I went to a matinee performance (of WICKED).  I ended up sitting in front of this young girl who talked really loudly through the first act.  Continuously.  I understand that children will ask questions and the like, but the parents didn't do anything to quiet her or at least get her to whisper, and the girl was talking constantly, not just here and there.  My friend and I shushed her a few times, hoping the parents would get the hint, and the girl went right on talking.  Finally I turned around and asked if they could please quiet her down (they didn't).  During the intermission the father started shouting at me for "yelling" at his little girl, and did I feel guilty at all for that.  I replied that I did not feel guilty as the girl distracted me through the whole first act, and I didn't pay $100+ to hear her talk.  He tried to justify this by saying she was excited and wasn't I ever five years old, and I said sure I was five once, but I was taught to have manners and courtesy while in public!  He then tried to give me $100 so I could "come see the show ten more times," and suggested I could go home with him and tell him how to raise his kids.  I told him that raising his kids wasn't my problem, and thought to myself what an idiot - he thinks he can pay me off and that solves the problem?  There were a hundred other children there and none of them were talking.  I reiterated that an audience is entitled to a quiet performance with no distractions, and it was a manner of courtesy, and he got really close in my face and told me to shut up and go f*** myself.  What a lovely example of a human being.

I was bracing myself for the worst in Act II but there was nary a peep.  I suspect that maybe the mother got the hint and either left with the girl or moved, because I sneaked a glance during the cast bows and two of their seats were empty.  Whatever happened, I'm glad about the outcome, and I'm also glad that I enjoyed the show (it was fantastic!) enough that the guy didn't ruin the afternoon for me.

I'm sure some of you DRs have had run-ins with obnoxious children or theatregoers.  Are there any really memorable ones?  (Not the most pleasant topic I know, but I'm sure it makes for vivid stories later!)
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Tomovoz

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2003, 03:04:34 PM »

DR Matt.  I found the movie of "Topsy Turvy" quite fascinating and I am not a fan of G & S. At least we try to hold on to threads!
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2003, 03:08:52 PM »

SwishySarah–talk about adventures in babysitting!  Wow!  

I never have understood why people have to have something with alcohol in it to have a “drink”.  I like water–it’s the best  in the house.  It’s pure, natural, no sugar, no calories.   It’s very rare for me to even have a Coke or a Pepsi but I will confess to a Sprite/7-Up from time to time.

I have a friend who works for Bush.  I make him mad because I tell him that there’s a reason the Clydesdales are their mascot. *chuckle*

You know, I think I like this board for it’s “artwork”.  The “merman” and the lady with the flowers both caught my eye.  

Jennifer: OK, I’ll give it one last  go.

Here are some smiles from this board:

:)  ::)  :o   ???

Here is a smile from Clicksmile.com,  the site you told me about.  I'm doing the same thing I did before.

Can you SEE them now??  Couldn't resist that one.  

I did a preview and I can see them perfectly but then I saw them before.

I still would like to know which taro deck that was, JRand53.  I thought the artwork was wonderful.

D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2003, 03:13:16 PM »

Hey, I think I made a new level--I can see "applaud " and "boo"--I can give Karma now, right?  

I'd do a smile but since I'm not sure you can see it, I'll wait.  

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2003, 03:14:38 PM »

I just noticed my karma has gone down... :(  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2003, 03:14:55 PM »

was it something I said?

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2003, 03:19:22 PM »

The kids are asleep...already...and I am SO bored...

And these people might be coming home drunk too, actually. They're going to "sample" wine at a Vineyard, and then are moseying down to the local Pub to drink more and watch football. A plus is that these people pay MORE than usual when drunk. A minus (that makes the plus completely irrelevant) is that they have an 8 year old, twin 4 year olds, and a 2 year old. *sigh*, Adults these days.

Interesting Story: The kids were playing outside; Some kids who live next door were over playing too; They were comntemplating a new name for a stuffed animal duck. The usual names were said (i.e. Fluffy, Happy, etc.) One of the neighboring kids shouts out, "Bridget, name it Flucker!" Bridget has a little-kid speech impediment, and she cannot pronounce L's. Amused, I asked this child to explain to me the reasoning behind naming the duck Flucker. He squirmed for a little while, and then said in a very small voice, "...I think Fluffy is a good name..." and walked away.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2003, 03:20:02 PM »

Hey. Only one more hour to Alias starts here. Woohoo!

Btw, BK you never answered my question about what you thought the season one cliff hanger was going to be. I think you said that you were expecting something to happen. And I need to know what :)

Actually I think another DR mentioned that the show took a real turn last year. And of course it took another HUGE turn with last year's season finale.

I just wish they would show Syd's mommy more.

DR LC: Hey thanks for the well-wishes. I took a nap and am feeling better.

I wish that Nemo was out here today. Cause it's the last item I have to put in the big Christmas box heading up north. It's so weird, but it's far till Christmas and I've already been shopped out!

As for Ron's comments about Swishy Sarah: she did not know that they were going to come home drunk. So how can she be responsible?  It sounds like they realized that they acted foolishly and probably won't do it again (we can hope). But I do agree with the basic principle that people need to take some responsiblity for those around them.  It sounds like Swishy's parents know the other parents were drunk.  They should deal with the situation if need be (not her).
Anyhow just my thoughts.

Not sure if I will come to chat. Depends on if I'm awake.

Anyone looking for Lyon's Den tonight will find it it's not on in November.  NBC has already pulled it at least for sweeps.  I totally don't get how they can take someone like Rob Lowe, give him a show, and then not even support it.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2003, 03:22:30 PM »

Go Sarah!  I work as a nanny for a four year old and a 16 month old.  Occasionally the older one will try out cuss words on me, mainly to see what reaction he'll get.  I find that if I act disinterested in it, he'll stop using it.  It's not fun when I don't react.  Well handled...

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2003, 03:24:31 PM »

Oh Danise, I am so happy. I see them!!!!!

Yeah!

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2003, 03:25:21 PM »

Karma taken away. Perhaps it is because Broadway is now "Wicked". There are bad fairies out there too. Maybe it has something to do with Washington snow.
LC: My memories of "The Lion King" were just as bad. The children were even younger and the grandfather bought them every possible toy at the interval. The family (About 6 or 7) kept shifting seats, talking, passing the smallest child between them and behaving as if they were at home in front of the TV. We had paid a fortune for the seats and our whole experience of good seats in a NY theatre was ruined. I am now not a fan of the show at all (other than for the opening). It may well because of these people that I felt "Nothing" for the performance. (The whole family in question left the show during the second act). No wonder I much prefered "Seusical".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2003, 03:25:44 PM »

Matt H., I think you and I have very similar tastes..oh, yes very similar! That George Eads is somthing else! I remember him all the way back to when he was on that fun, but short lived, night time soap called SAVANNAH!

Now where oh where is Kyle Chandler been lately! He needs a new series pronto.

François

« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2003, 03:26:02 PM »

Ann,

You got Karma "inflation"!

Enjoy!

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2003, 03:28:45 PM »

I love karma!  But are people really taking it away from others?
There is "applaud" (to add karma) and "boo" (to take it away).  

Is it just me, but no matter how much someone might upset me, I would never take away someone's karma.  It would make me feel too bad.  And I would be afraid it would bring me bad karma too!

I need to eat now.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2003, 03:29:51 PM »

While we're on the subject of babysitting and drinking, I must tell a little story that happened last week.  Quinncy, who's the 16 month old, doesn't talk much yet, but he likes to be picked up and held in front of the fridge, so he can show you exactly what he wants.  So one afternoon he pulled me over to the fridge, open the door, and asked to be picked up.  I did so, and he reached in.  Now i fully believe that he was after the clear plastic water bottle that he knew was in there.  But he instead he reached in and, with a triumphant smile on his face, handed me the small bottle of Absolut vodka that was next to it inside the door.  I had to put him down, I was laughing so hard.
A side note, I have worked for this family since last April, and the level on that bottle has not moved a bit since then, so the bottle hasn't been touched.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2003, 03:31:40 PM »

As for Ron's comments about Swishy Sarah: she did not know that they were going to come home drunk. So how can she be responsible?  It sounds like they realized that they acted foolishly and probably won't do it again (we can hope). But I do agree with the basic principle that people need to take some responsiblity for those around them.  It sounds like Swishy's parents know the other parents were drunk.  They should deal with the situation if need be (not her).
Anyhow just my thoughts.

DR Jennifer:  I am totally satisfied with Sarah's response to my comments to her.

I am concerned, however, that you feel I was holding her responsible for their actions.  The VERY THRUST of my post was to encourage her to talk to her parents about it.  Of course it's up to them.  

I never once implied Sarah would know or be responsible for the actions of the others.

My advice to her was to discuss this problem with her parents.  I do think it was her responsibility to do this because she quite rightly knew not to accept a ride home from either of them.

This is NOT a one-time thing.  No one is more apologetic than a repeat offender.  These people need help...for all future babysitters and for the sake of their children.

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2003, 03:31:41 PM »

Does than mean a French fairy has struck? International goodwill day. Tomorrow (Tuesday) is a  holiday here. I wonder if any other country has a holiday for a Horse Race. Australians tend to ignore "Australia Day" (1/26) but go mad on Melbourne Cup Day.
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2003, 03:33:05 PM »

Karma, karma, karma!

The only karma I care for is karma sutra!

-- NO groaning! Merci! --

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2003, 03:34:26 PM »

Re: people be annoying at the theatre

LC: I cannot believe that man said those things to you. I would have gone over to management and told them what he did.

I think that children should be taught that theatre is not the same as tv.  But I don't really blame that child. She didn't know any better. And nobody taught her what to do.

It is the father who you should be mad at. Not only did he not teach his daughter how to behave, but he had no respect for you.  If I knew I took away from someone's enjoyment, I would be upset. The fact that he couldn't have cared less, shows a lot about him as a person.  I think you just made him feel like an unfit parent.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2003, 03:36:46 PM »

Wow! It's great that you Aussies can make so much fun for yourselves.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up