Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: NO MORE CANDY  (Read 24710 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:NO MORE CANDY
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2003, 03:39:23 PM »

Finally, some posts, and excellent posts they are.  We just need double what we have and we'll be fine and dandy.  Just finished Finding Nemo, which I hadn't seen before - I'll have a complete report tomorrow, but I will go out on a limb and say it's the best looking DVD ever produced.

More art from the walls, this a beautiful fall painting by the wonderfu Rico Tomassi.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2003, 03:42:14 PM »

Yikes!  DR Danise - sorry for not anwering you sooner.  That is the Ancient Egyptian Tarot.  I usually use the Londa deck, but I also have the Phantasmogorical which is very unique.   ;D

DR LC -  that man was completely out of line.  In situations like that, as much as I hate to, I usually leave my seat and go get an usher.  They are skilled at dealing with people like that, and you would have been even MORE of a heroine to the people around you than I am sure you were.  There have been times when the exit of the troublemaker was applauded by those in nearby seats!  :D

So many wonderful pictures and "things" to look at!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Danise

« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2003, 03:55:30 PM »

I didn't "Boo" anyone, honest!  I just applauded.   I wouldn't "Boo" anyone either.  

Well, Jennifer, I don't know what to say.  I don't think I did anything different.  Hummm.  Interesting.

That's ok, JRand53. That is a very nice deck.  For a time, it seemed to gift to give/get.  That's how I got all of mine.  

I'll try to be at the chat tonight if only for a little while.

And on that note, Let's try another smile

See ya'll at the chat if not before!

D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jennifer

« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2003, 03:55:52 PM »

BK, what does everyone have Finding Nemo early?

I haven't seen it and might sneak a peek at it before I send it. After all I need to open it and check to make sure it's not damaged, right? :)

DR Ron: I reread your original post. I never meant to imply that you were holding Swishy responsible for the drunk parents. And yes you did suggest she talk to her parents.  But I guess tone is sometimes hard to figure out, because you were using words like "complicit" and to me at least you made it sound like it was Swishy's responsibility to get these parents help. I'm sorry if I misrepresented what you meant.

I don't have much experience with drunk driving. But do we know for a fact that these parents have done this before.  I know Swishy has babysat for others who came home drunk. But I wasn't aware that these people make a habit out of doing this.  If they do, then I agree, something needs to be done.

The thing I find most disturbing is that Swishy makes it sound like most of the people she babysits for do this.  This shocks me.  I would expect that at least one of the parents would be the designated driver.

Personally I don't like to drive if I've had ANY alcohol period (not even one glass).

François

« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2003, 04:15:32 PM »

French fairy? French fairy?

Tom, I resent that! ;)
I'm no French Glinda!

Regarding that disturbing family in theater; no wonder that little girl is a brat, when one sees how the father reacted!
And yes, I agree! call an usher next time; no need to confront rude people...; wast of time and energy, and they don't need that attention.
So gald they did not ruin the rest of the performance!

Oh! Have I told anyone that I'm no French fairy?
Btw, the pixie dust's on me!

BK,
I want that New England painting! I mean, I WANT that painting!
When can we visit your "museum"?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2003, 04:19:39 PM »

Oh, François, I almost thought you were thinking the same thing I was thinking regarding Tom's "French fairy" comment.

But no...."redundancy" was not where you were going.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

François

« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2003, 04:20:40 PM »

Questions to BK;

Does your fall painting follow the seasons?
When does it become a rise painting?

François

« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2003, 04:24:41 PM »

DR Ron,

Should I resent your comment too?
Redundancy? Humm... now let's see?

That smiling "Chorus Line" looks like a Chinese brochette!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2003, 04:31:44 PM »

Not all of the people I babysit for come home drunk, but some do. Especially now, when the holidays are starting. Sometimes I call my dad, sometimes I walk home, and sometimes I end up staying the night if it's too late. But my dad never goes to sleep until we're home, or we're staying someplace for the night. He's more than willing to pick us up too, regardless of the situation.

Ron, I know what you were saying. I also understand where Jennifer was coming from when she thought you were being accusatory, but I thought twice before responding. To quote our very own BK, "Tone is sometimes difficult to decipher on the internet." To quote someone ELSE, "Don't be gumpy! Walk in the sunshine!" No worries, :)

LC: That girl must have learned a thing or two from her father, as his manners are just as bad as her's. It was right of you to have complained!

Ann: My cousin used to get up in the middle of the night to get a bottle of water. One night, he went down to get a drink, and never came back upstairs. My aunt and uncle woke up the next morning, noticed he wasn't in his bed, dashed down the stairs, only to find their son sitting/leaning against the refrigerator door, asleep, with a half-empty bottle of Zima in his hand. Kids are funny.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2003, 04:45:25 PM »

Greetings, Dear Readers--

I have been errant and truant, it is true.

Last night I saw Miss Susan Egan in her cabaret act.  (NB:  by that, I mean I heard her sing different songs by different people.  She apparently took the week off from Cabaret in New York to do this gig in lovely Costa Mesa, California.)  It was a most enjoyable evening.  She has a dry sense of humor (my favorite kind) and showed some range, mixing a good number of comic/novelty songs in with standards and ballads.

And today, I saw Charles Busch's latest masterpiece, Die Mommy Die!  Actually, it is a very well informed parody of "women's" films from the '50s.  Sort of like Far From Heaven, only on drugs.  There are gazillions of references to pictures from that genre/era, and the humor is done deadpan, which makes it even more funny.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2003, 04:54:59 PM »

Hi, I'm back.  Just returned from another "fun" trip to LA.  

This is my first time posting on the new site and I must admit I'm a bit confused.  I'm on the candy discussion but is there a main location to post?

No candy for me.  This is the first year I have ever missed Halloween.  I feel much better for not having over indulge.  I did miss seeing the children in their costumes.

Did I miss any big news?

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2003, 05:11:55 PM »

I can not,for the life of me ,believe that it is November.Thanksgiving is around the corner.Where is everyone on this board celebrating Thanksgiving?It is my favorite Holiday.I spent many years celebrating at the wonderful Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge,Mass with another family and my own. I will miss that this year.I will celebrate with my abbreviated family-a wife,a son,my daughter in law and my two grandchildren.I will be missing my errant and truant younger son.And he will be missed.I still remember one year at the Red Lion Inn when he was sick and fell asleep,mind you,in the mashed potatoes.Happy November All!!

Jay

« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2003, 05:13:17 PM »

Welcome to the new site, Jane.  I don't like those quotation marks around the word "fun" in your post.  You've had enough tsuris of late, and I fear you are alluding to more of it.

In any event, you made your "debut" as post #100 on a Sunday, which, as that shifty criminal doyenne of style, Martha Stewart would say, is a good thing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2003, 05:36:20 PM »

Jane, you'll get used to it.  Every day, at the end of the notes, you'll click the icon and come to the discussion board.  There you'll click on Daily Discussions, and from there you'll click on the title of that day's notes (today: No More Candy) - that's where the current day's posts reside.  You can see the posts from the days before right below, according to the title of that day's notes.  You cannot post to those past posts however, only the current day.

As to drinking, my views on drunkenness are fairly well-known.  I don't care for liquor and I especially don't care for what liquor does to people - in moderation I suppose anything is fine, but when the line is crossed I find it horrible and quite off-putting.  I do admire any person who has had that sort of abuse in their lives for overcoming their addictions.

Chat in a mere twenty-five minutes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2003, 05:38:42 PM »

DR Jay - I am so jealous that you saw Die Mommy Die!.  One of the shows I have directed - and probably the most popular box office wise was:

Vampire Lesbians of Sodom!

This is NOT from my production, but it's close.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Kerry

« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2003, 05:39:54 PM »

Hi y'all,

I got a lovely note the oother day explaining how to attach a picture with my post.  I STILL can't figure out the darn thing (as opposed to that darn cat).

How do I simply include a picture with my post? HELP!!!!!!!!

Sorry I was E and t.  Friday I worked and then came home to give mucho candy to all the kids bussed in to my neighborhood for trick or treating.  It was very busy there for a few hours.

As for my favorite Halloween costume, it was when I was nine.
It was a fairy queen costume of my own design.  And I put on rouge and lipstick though it wasn't allowed.  I was so proud.  And Daddy said,"Wash your face; you look like a whore."

Ooops, I think I started channeling Eve Harrington via  Strouse and Adams.

Actually my favorite costume was when I went to a costume party dressed as Mary Hartman.   At the time I related to her a lot.   Some people got it; some people didn't. (and some people can't even give it away-- oh a Styne/Sondheim reference).   For those younger Hainsie/Kimlets, Mary Hartman was a character on a TV show (called, interestingly enough, "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman").

I loved all of Ben's costumes and pics.  Thanks.  
I like boat races.

Jay

« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2003, 05:39:56 PM »

Oh yes.  I need to apologize to Dear Reader Francois and the entire Academie Francaise.  Last night, in some goodnight wishes, I thoroughly butchered the French language.  And I know how touchy they are about such things over there.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2003, 05:56:50 PM »

Kerry, if your pic is on your computer somewhere, then you just hit reply (NOT quick reply) - you'll see a bar at the bottom of the page that says "browse" - click on "browse" and locate your photo on your computer - click "open".  The address for the photo will automatically appear in the bar.  Click post.  Done.  You must make sure your photo is under 100 kb size-wise.

Laura II

« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2003, 05:59:24 PM »

DR Sarah: First, I do believe you were my karma fairy over the last 24 hours, so thanks! Next, I think you handled the situation with the drunk parents well. As you mentioned in your post, we've talked about this before, and we definitely share the same views on alcohol. Oh, finally, the story about the duck was cute. Your direct approach with the boy diverted any problems. Good job!

DR LC: I'm so sorry about the man and child at Wicked. I too have an audience horror story. This one even included the management (and not in a good way). Last year, when I went to see Thoroughly Modern Millie for the first time, my mom and I were seated about 10 minutes before the show began. The row behind us was filling up, and already I could tell that some of them were obnoxious people. (They were talking loudly and perhaps negatively.) In front of me sat a mother and her two daughters. Just as the overture began, the mother began opening candy for her daughters, and the younger one decided to sit in her sister's lap. Behind us, some people arrived and found that their seats were occupied. This, of course, resulted in bickering between the people who were in the seats and those with tickets for those same seats. An usher came over to fix the problem, but the people in the seats would not cooperate. Finally, toward the end of the overture, the usher lost his composure, and said through clenched teeth, "Everybody GET UP!!!!" I was so upset. Never before had I been around such rude people. Apparently that problem was resolved, but as in your situation, the young girl asked many questions (especially since she couldn't read, and there are subtitles during some scenes) and proved to be quite distracting. Luckily, I was able to go back and see the show two more times in NYC, and both times were much more pleasant.

DR Jennifer: Hope you feel better soon!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jane

« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2003, 06:01:48 PM »

ArnoldMBrockman,  once in mid October I spent a couple of nights at the Red  Lion Inn.  I still remember having the best clam chowder there.

Yes Jay, you caught my meaning in the word fun.  Things should improve from now on.  I still have to return to get my Dad's condo ready to sell, but shall be able to squeeze in some real fun then.  Maybe Bruce can plan something so I can meet those of you in the area.  Fun was being the 100th post today.  If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't have noticed.  

I didn't have candy but I did find Mallomars in LA.  Has anyone else seen them yet this season?

As to drinking and driving.  When I was around 12 I had a terrifying experience driving with a drunk driver.  Thank goodness the freeways, believe it or not, were not busy on Sundays back then.  We drove from Long Beach back to LA averaging 10-15 miles an hour.  I will never again drive with a drunk driver.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2003, 06:04:51 PM »

Is chat open? I can't get in the room if it is, it just says "Connection shut down" or something.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jay

« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2003, 06:06:38 PM »

I believe meeting you on your next visit to L.A., Dear Reader Jane, would be a most enjoyable experience.  Let's make it happen!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2003, 06:07:15 PM »

Chat be open.  Be there or be round

François

« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2003, 06:15:53 PM »

No need to apologize at all DR Jay!

Professor Higgins' remark is from another time and we do our own butcherring of our language ourselves and very well too, believe me...

I only had good intentions in "correcting" you: it gave me an opportunity of showing off, something I don't get to do very often here!
Besides, I wanted to prove, if it needs be, how complex French language is...

I also hope I won't offend you more if I say that there are few chances that the Académie Française members have read your errors; they are old people who mainly work slowly on the dictionary...

My intentions were to do all this in good clean fun and i should have used smileys or just refrained from posting!

But no, I don't think the French are touchy about their language; if that's the common belief in the States it has to be a cliché!
Actually, we're speaking more and more "English" than French; not long are the days when we'll say -- as French Canadian people do, but don't tell them that they'll get upset! -- "tomber en amour" (to fall in love) instead of "tomber amoureux"!

But then I'm biaised....

Jane

« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2003, 06:24:52 PM »

ArnoldMBrockman,  once in mid October I spent a couple of nights at the Red  Lion Inn.  I still remember having the best clam chowder there.

Yes Jay, you caught my meaning in the word fun.  Things should improve from now on.  I still have to return to get my Dad's condo ready to sell, but shall be able to squeeze in some real fun then.  Maybe Bruce can plan something so I can meet those of you in the area.  Fun was being the 100th post today.  If it hadn't been for you, I wouldn't have noticed.  

I didn't have candy but I did find Mallomars in LA.  Has anyone else seen them yet this season?

As to drinking and driving.  When I was around 12 I had a terrifying experience driving with a drunk driver.  Thank goodness the freeways, believe it or not, were not busy on Sundays back then.  We drove from Long Beach back to LA averaging 10-15 miles an hour.  I will never again drive with a drunk driver.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2003, 06:29:39 PM »

Tone:  Let's see if I can be more succinct than by using the word "complicit."

You're at school and one of your classmates has a gun in his locker.

You know this classmate has a gun, because you saw the classmate remove it from his pocket and put it into his locker.  

Now you know that your classmate has been very, very upset with a couple of teachers lately.

What is your responsibility?

And if you don't say something, are you any less responsible?

By knowing someone is breaking the law, do you have NO responsibility?  What if that person harms someone else and you knew the probability of that existed?  No personal responsibility?

That's complicity.  

Most folks just want to pretend they don't know something.  It's safer for them that way.

Until they're walking along the street the drunk driver careens down.

Or until they're in the hallway when a classmate opens fire.

:(
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 06:30:14 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2003, 06:30:07 PM »

Hey everyone.  Sorry I'm not at chat right now.  You see, I decided to spend the night at my friend's house and figured I'd be able to log onto chat here.  But this is not the case, and all I'm getting on the chat page is a big black blank. I've been trying to get on for the last 15 minutes and it just looks pretty useless at this point.  Boo.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2003, 06:58:03 PM »

I was struck by DR Ron's statement that drunk driving is severely punished.  I don't know that it is.

In the chat, discussion of this was juxtaposed with talk about guns.  And that's an interesting connection because guns kill people and, even more frequently, cars kill people.

New York used to have a law and ad campaign, Use a Gun, Go to Prison.

I don't see why there can't be a similar thing: Drive Intoxicated, Go to Prison.

Too many people are being killed by cars and guns.

Pardon me for being on a soap box, but, as you know if you read yesterday, my feet are very dirty.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2003, 07:01:24 PM »

Chat is still going on.  Those who missed chat tonight missed a couple of real surprises.  That is the price one pays for being errant and truant - like CRAIG and WEL and ANN and JENNIFER and DAN and BEN, and KERRY and MUSICGUY and on and on and on.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 07:02:03 PM by bk »

Jay

« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2003, 07:01:55 PM »

Dear Reader Francois--I wasn't offended at all.  I'm just embarrassed to see how badly my French has deteriorated.  I guess not using it very much in twenty-five years will do that.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up