Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TITLE OF THE NOTES IS  (Read 14558 times)

Ginny

Re:THE TITLE OF THE NOTES IS
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2005, 05:18:33 PM »

If you want something more rustic, you can also camp out or rent cabins nearby.

Um, actually, my idea of roughing it is a motel without a pool!  New Harmony looks charming, though, and we'll probably try for the weekend of June 11-12.  I had my DH check his Sacred Harp (shape-note singing) schedule to see if there's an event nearby for him, but there is not.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2005, 05:21:32 PM »

Ginny this month my book group is reading Three Junes.  I see your group has read it.  After I have finished the book I shall check out the information on your site.

Ginny

« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2005, 05:24:40 PM »

Ginny this month my book group is reading Three Junes.  I see your group has read it.  After I have finished the book I shall check out the information on your site.

Jane, I always pick a book for September that relates to the country that will be featured at Middfest, our local international festival, the first weekend in October.  We read Three Junes the year that Scotland was featured, but didn't learn too much about the country.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2005, 05:27:23 PM »

That is an interesting way to choose a book.  Did you like it?  How are you enjoying Kite Runner?

Ginny

« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2005, 05:32:36 PM »

That is an interesting way to choose a book.  Did you like it?  How are you enjoying Kite Runner?

Haven't started The Kite Runner yet because I'm still finishing up the Marie Antoinette bio and I have to reread Nickel and Dimed for www.bigread.org, which kicks off tomorrow and which is spearheaded largely by the library where I work.  On March 9, I'm having a brownbag lunch for local people in the nonprofit community to discuss how the issues raised in Nickel and Dimed impact what they do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2005, 05:54:23 PM »

Okay, I'm on my way to the little screening and buffet.

Keep the home fries burning until my returning, and I'll have a full report for you.  I'm quite certain they will have COOKIES there - if not, I shall stop and get some.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2005, 06:00:24 PM »

Ginny it should be an interesting discussion.

Back to the book theme for your group, sometimes our hostess will serve a food theme to accompaniment the book we are discussing. :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2005, 06:03:28 PM »

I had some lemon sandwich cookies today. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2005, 06:24:12 PM »

Hope you are feeling better, elmore!

The horror of that Snow White thing was Rob Lowe attempting to rock out with Snow White and singing "Proud Mary", which had what to do with the Oscars??  Jose, the official tapes of this have probably been destroyed.

Ginny- Sacred Harp singing is incredible. Your husband is part of a group? That is fantastic.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2005, 06:29:05 PM »

Hello, y'all! I'm finally taking an evening off - jeez, so tired! But many old friends from a hundred years ago have come outa the dark shadows of the cement forest we call Noo Yawk - and I've been having lovely reminiscences and swell dinners with various and sundired of them.

Finally got squared away with a lighting designer and board operator. Gonna get my sound cues re-recorded next a week from Thursday. Found a dandy chair for the set. Now it's just a desk, dressing table, two more chairs, a hatrack, a projection screen, and a partridge in a pear tree - and I'm all set.

I had a really good rehearsal earlier today - my voice is slowly coming back to the stamina level I'll need - how had I forgotten what "in shape" means for a 90-minute monologue with music??? Anyway, the voice gets stronger every day, and I am soooo optimistic as the time nears.

Nice news:

The excellent Peter Filichia is posting a review of JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY, the novel, on theatremania.com on Monday, day after tomorrow. The timing couldn't be better - with the show opening two weeks from Wednesday.

So, that's the news from Aunt Pen!
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2005, 06:30:00 PM »

DR Rodzinski - my DH actually sings with 2 Sacred Harp groups, one in Cincinnati and one in Dayton.  Last spring, they were invited to appear at 2 Ohio performances of the "Great High Mountain Tour," with Alison Krauss & Union Station.

Ginny

« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2005, 06:32:40 PM »

Penny, I'd been wondering about your show preparations.  Thank you for keeping us all "in the loop."  Looking forward to being there in just 3 (count 'em, 3) weeks!

Jane

« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2005, 06:37:02 PM »

Hi Penny,

Great news.  We have good news here too.  Bogie is doing very well at the moment-thanks to his high blood pressure meds.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2005, 06:44:46 PM »

That's DOUBLY sacred, Ginny. Really hypnotic music. Let me know if they ever play near Findlay or Toledo and I will have my sister and her family go see it.

JRand and MBarnum- Just the other day I was saying I wished the film music of Arch Hall Jr. was available on CD and as of last Tuesday, Norton Records has released everything Arch ever recorded on a CD called "Wild Guitar". I found it out quite by accident when returning my friend's car to him, they were playing some of the CD on WFMU, a freeform station.

Link:
http://www.nortonrecords.com/index2.html

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2005, 06:48:15 PM »

Re: cookies: not many in the past years... although last night I did indulge in some Ben and Jerry's low fat frozen yogurt - flavor: Half-Baked... which is chocolate and vanilla low fat yogurt with chunks of brownies and blobs of chocolate chip cookie dough. Hit the spot, I tell ya.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2005, 06:49:14 PM »

Good ol' Bogie!! whatta cat! say hi to him for me! Tell him his Uncle Bill is flying to Noo Yawk to run tech for me!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2005, 06:50:22 PM »

Hey, Ginny - I look forward to meeting you finally!
PennyO

Ginny

« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2005, 06:51:50 PM »

Hey, Ginny - I look forward to meeting you finally!

Likewise, Penny.  Will your book be for sale at the show?

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2005, 06:56:17 PM »

I feel so bad for our boy Elmore - he wasn't at work... that $%^&%^$#@*abcess has plagued him for about 8 months already. I wish that "doctor" would just order another surgical procedure - it's pretty obvious they didn't get it all last time. But when you see him, he is such a good sport, so pleasant and so fun - he hasn't let it interfere with his interactions with friends... but, jeez, how it has impacted his whole life. Most exceleent Health Vibes to our boy.

And, it's ten o'clock - time for beddie bye. I certainly MUST begin getting on a more theatrical schedule... oh, if only I could sleep late...

Anyhow, see some of you SO SOON!!! And the rest, well, I'll see you in my dreams.... niteynite
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2005, 06:57:32 PM »

my book will, indeed, be for sale at the concessions counter upstairs in the theater complex!!
PennyO

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2005, 07:18:34 PM »

This morning I went for a walk to see wildflowers, and this is what I found:
Which reminds me: I've got to get some wildflower seeds, and strew them in the lot next door.  Ever since the owners ripped out all the trees and brush, it's nothing but a lot of dirt there, and we sure could use some color come spring!

(The deer have had to use the next lot over for their passage through the neighborhood, and we've had a lot more VERY hungry birds at der B's feeders since the razing next door.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2005, 07:27:52 PM »

Madonna: "This is for you, General Schwartzkoph!" while singing "Sooner or Later" from Dick Tracy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2005, 07:46:29 PM »

Yes, Louis Jourdan had an annoying way of embellishing his singing with lots of unnecessary grace notes, too. After he heard himself in GIGI (where supposedly his vocals were pieced together from dozens and dozens of takes, he started fancying himself as a singer, so that by the time he did CAN-CAN, he was grace noting all over the place thinking himself a crooner. Ugh!

Honestly, I saw the national tour of ON A CLEAR DAY with John Cullum, and I found the story very hard to follow. The movie cleared up a lot of that confused book.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2005, 07:49:42 PM »

My friend and I didn't end up watching THE VILLAGE. We watched DIE ANOTHER DAY instead (he is a James Bond nut, and I love them myself. He hadn't watched anything in DTS since we set up his home theater system, so this was another acid test. Passed with flying colors).

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2005, 07:50:21 PM »

Loneliness is a terrible thing!

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2005, 07:51:41 PM »

OK, I've got the old laptop hooked up and ready for use with the Oscars tomorrow night. Hope others will join in on the fun as we critique the fashions and the choices at this year's ceremony.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2005, 07:55:01 PM »

Started watching TWENTIETH CENTURY today. I have to give it to Barrymore. I think he had started reading lines off cue cards by this time (I think he started around the time of GRAND HOTEL). He certainly disguises it very well.

Obviously they've used a bunch of different source materials to piece the film together. SOme shots are crisp and detailed. Others looked duped from old, old sources and are barely in focus (maybe even 16mm sources). Looking forward to finishing it tomorrow before the Oscars

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2005, 09:32:00 PM »

Hisaka, last night I watched a movie starring Akira Kobayashi...are you familiar with him?

I saw the picture you posted yesterday and it’s amazing his film has had an English title. He was a big movie star in the late 50s and the 60s as a tough guy, called mite-guy(derived from dynamite!), and was featured in over 100 movies and also released many records. He still sometime appears in films and on tv.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2005, 10:04:09 PM »

This morning I went for a walk to see wildflowers, and this is what I found:

Pretty flowers, DR Laura.
Spring has come around there!? :D

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2005, 10:05:20 PM »

I like that, "mite-guy".