Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TITLE OF THE NOTES IS  (Read 14487 times)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
Re:THE TITLE OF THE NOTES IS
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2005, 10:51:45 AM »

I can't stay because I have to get back to my paper ("Isocrates' Ideas About Arete In Rhetoric" - I can't wait!), but I wanted to say that today is my great aunt Pearl's 100th birthday.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2005, 10:59:02 AM »

Good morning all

I am writing from the studio of my parent's home in Ellensburg.  I came to town yesterday to see a concert last night by the male singing group Chanticleer.  For those of you who have never heard of this group, you should check them out!  It was easily one of the best concerts I've been to in my entire life.  The group consists of 12 men singing every part from bass to soprano, and the male soprano voices are some of the most beautiful you will ever hear.  DR Jed also attended the concert, and he can confirm my report that it was spectacular.  

JMK - About the What If DVD...I'm honestly not sure how any fingerprints would have ended up on it.  DR Jed and I watched it together, and afterwards we put it back in its jewel case and it was not touched again.  At any rate, I'm glad you were able to clean it and that it worked fine afterwards.  

I am drinking a cup of real brewed coffee.  After a month of powdered flavored stuff, it's a bit of heaven.  

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2005, 10:59:02 AM »

Happy birthday Aunt Pearl! Wow!

And feel better vibes to Mr. Elmore3003!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  [/move]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2005, 11:13:03 AM »

I stumbled across this handy little device for the kitchen while surfing.  Problem is, it doesn't go with my own kitchen: wrong color.   :'(
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2005, 11:15:48 AM »

I hear Marc Chapeaux is off doing the Carioca.

BLATHER is one of my favourite words, frequenthly invoke when engaged in conversations with and/or about  studio executives or folks of a younger generation who don't seem to have a clue about this business and its legacy and just spout innocent but ignorant BLATHER about it.  It is often used in conjunction with BLITHERING and FLUMMERY.

Somehow I seem to be on a Rod Steiger jag of late yesterday I caught bits of THE BIG KNIFE, watched a DVD of NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY, and just now finished watching JUBAL where Rod plays a very nasty bad man called, of all things, Pinky...and he doesn't look anything like Jeanne Crain.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2005, 11:42:25 AM »

Chanticleer is indeed a fine musical congregation.  

I forgot an Oscar moment....or I guess I should say, I remembered another one.

Jane Fonda was a very politically outspoken young lady and had taken a stand on many issues.  When she was nominated for the Best Actress Award for KLUTE - many people were afraid that she would use the podium to make a political statement, etc.  We really didn't know what would happen, because Jane said what Jane wanted to.

SHE WON!!  She walked to the stage, beautifully dressed, gave a few thanks, drew a breath and said:  "There are many things to say, but this is not the time or the place."  And walked off.  Classy lady.....always will be.  Jane Fonda.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2005, 11:55:13 AM »

I don't remember many Oscarcast moments (I remember all those that have been mentioned).  I remember my first Oscars the year I moved out here.  I went with a neighbour of mine and actually sat in the gallery, as the stars walked the red carpet.  I remember Kim Novack looking absolutely ravishing.  

It was the year that Laurence Olivier was, I think, getting a special Oscar.  He walked down the red carpet and none of the folks with microphones paid any attention to him at all...even Army Archerd missed him.  I shouted, "God Bless, Sir Laurence!"  He looked up and blew me a kiss.  And about a dozen heads of a dozen interviewers swerved at my shout to suddenly look for Sir Larry, but by that time he was through the gauntlet.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2005, 12:52:50 PM »

slow news day.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2005, 12:58:57 PM »

All right, as long as the subject is cookies....

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2005, 01:00:39 PM »

I have returned from helping my father pick up the remnants of last night's concert.  I am now job searching whilst drinking my second cup of coffee and eating some easter chocolates.  Not exciting news, but the best I can come up with.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2005, 01:00:54 PM »

Or maybe we should be talking about cookies....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2005, 01:01:54 PM »

I have returned from helping my father pick up the remnants of last night's concert.  I am now job searching whilst drinking my second cup of coffee and eating some easter chocolates.  Not exciting news, but the best I can come up with.
Last year's or in anticipation?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2005, 01:02:41 PM »

Time to take a break.  I've still got dinner to plan.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2005, 01:07:06 PM »

This morning I went for a walk to see wildflowers, and this is what I found:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

François de Paris

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2005, 01:08:02 PM »

"or downright or even upleft weird. In that latter category, I vote for the Allan Carr-produced Oscarcast where Rob Lowe did a musical number with Snow White. I remember sitting there thinking that the world of the Oscars had truly reached its nadir."

See Bruce-- just when you thought they couldn't get any lower.  That was a high point compared to some of the more recent years.

That's for sure; with Ro Blow, I mean... Rob Lowe they could not get... lower! :D

Didn't the Disney Company ask the Academy for apologies, after that Snow incident?!
If she had married Lowe, she would have become Snow Lowe! ;)

Gee! Sir Lawrence has blown me away in the past, but he's never blown a kiss at me! (But then.... rumors would have started!)
Now it is too late! Story of my life!
That's it! Story of my Life is the title of my next book! :)

FEEL BETTER SOON LARRY!
No fun hurting, I know!
We keep you in our thoughts! :-*
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 01:09:57 PM by François de Paris »

François de Paris

« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2005, 01:16:36 PM »

This morning I went for a walk to see wildflowers, and this is what I found:

Pretty flowers indeed!

"He can call me a flower if he wants to!"(Giggle, giggle!)

-- Coming out in DVD form, first time ever in the US, March 1st! Platinum Edition.

Already out here since February 16th! (Good Old Europe! ;))

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2005, 01:33:33 PM »

Oh, cookies are today's food! OK, I had those even before I went to the buffet.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2005, 01:37:24 PM »

If I remember correctly, Disney threatened to sue the Academy because they held the copyright on that rendition of Snow White, and the Academy had not asked for permission to use it. The next day, the Academy issued a formal apology to the Disney company. The plan to sue was dropped.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2005, 01:38:20 PM »

A friend has invited me over this evening for a movie night, and I volunteered to bring THE VILLAGE which neither he nor I have yet seen. So it looks like I'll be seeing it tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2005, 01:39:11 PM »

Another Oscar highlight: Angela Lansbury doing a show-stopping rendition of "Thoroughly Modern Millie."

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2005, 01:40:43 PM »

Well, I had hoped Universal would redo THE STING in 2003 for its 30th Anniversary, but they missed the boat. By 2008 (the 35th anniversary), we'll be into HD-DVD, so maybe that's when they'll redo it.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2005, 01:43:47 PM »

Yeah, Disney wants to sue nursery schools who paint images of Mickey and Donald on their buildings too.  And God knows the hoops they've put the Winnie the Pooh heirs through.  They are corporate pigs.  One of the worst acts of Congress in the last few years has been the copyright extension law.  It has helped the corporations keep a stranglehold on work that should have gone into public domain.  If the heirs of an author haven't milked his literary output to their benefit during the 75 years after his death, it's time for them to go out and get a real job.

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2005, 01:54:12 PM »

For cookie day, allow me to introduce an Ohio-based, woman-owned company:

www.cherylandco.com
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2005, 01:57:36 PM »

Boy, do I agree about the copyright extension law.

Tammy has removed the TV from the premises.

I must do a couple of errands, then I shall return.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2005, 02:04:05 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, since the sun was out, and the temp had just broken the 50 degree mark, I decided to escape from the apartment for a while and take a nice run over at the University of Richmond.  Perfect weather for a good run.  I'm thinking that I shall try to go past my current three mile mark, and aim for four, if not four and a half.

Once I got home, I was able to give my new SacroWedgy a try.  I had read about the SacroWedgy on a few running and health websites.  It helps realign the lower spine and allows the hips to fully stretch and relax.  It's basically a wedge of hard rubber that you place under your pelvis.  You lie down on it, then you breathe and relax.  Very passive and relaxing.  The instructions say not to expect immediate results, but I could definitely tell that it was helping me to get some stretch in my hip flexors - which is where I've been having issues lately.  -I'm still VERY thankful it's not appendicitis or gallstones!  And I'm sure it will come in very handy next week while I'm at SETCs in Greensboro - I'll be sitting at a piano from about 10:00-7:30 playing auditions for three days in a row.

If anyone is interested, here's the website:

http://www.sacrowedgy.com

*I'll have to see if my testimonial changes after a few more days of use.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2005, 02:06:31 PM »

For cookie day, allow me to introduce an Ohio-based, woman-owned company:

www.cherylandco.com

Ah!  I believe she and her company have been featured on a segment of the Food Network's show, "Food Finds".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2005, 02:11:57 PM »

DR DearReaderLaura - Beautiful picture!

A few summers ago when I was working at the New Harmony Theatre in Evansville, IN, one of the actresses came back from the dinner break with a beautiful bouquet of wildflowers she had picked in the field next to the rehearsal hall.  Unfortunately, as the rehearsal continued that night, she started getting a bit itchy, and little red spots started appearing on her arms.  The dreaded "chiggers".  Needless to say, she was a bit miserable for the next day or two.  But at least the flowers were beautiful.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2005, 02:35:32 PM »

OH!  And as of yesterday, I will be back at the New Harmony Theatre this summer!  I will be the Musical Director and pianist for their production of As Thousand Cheer.  -Whose cast recording was produced by our very own BK!  And I'll be playing their NYC auditions right after I get done in Greensboro.  Then it's onto Penny's show... Then...

OH!  And I can't wait to get back to some of my own favorite Evansville food finds: Lib's Chocolates, breakfasts at Rosie's Diner, the practically ambrosial fried chicken at the Bon Ton Mini Mart (which is actually in Henderson, KY - only about 30 minutes from campus - Thank You, Jane and Michael Stern), and Grippo's Potato Chips (which are a "regional chip" made in Cincinnati).  The BBQ are my favorite.

It's all about the food!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2005, 02:38:59 PM »

OH!!! And the new flavors now!

http://www.grippopotatochips.com

The Hot Dill Pickle flavor sounds very intriguing - and heartburn inducing.  But I bet it would/will be a good burn.  ;)

DRs elmore and Pogue - Do you Grippo?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2005, 02:42:24 PM »

Oh, and if you haven't guessed by now, I haven't travelled up to Fairfax today.  But I'm pretty sure I'll be going tomorrow.

I just wanted to be "home" today - especially since I will not "home" here for much longer.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up