Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TITLE OF THE NOTES IS  (Read 14486 times)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE TITLE OF THE NOTES IS
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2005, 02:58:06 AM »

The title of the notes is:
To Be Crab or To Be Garlic, That is The Question.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2005, 05:56:34 AM »

Notes Title:

On A Clear Day You Can See The Notes

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2005, 06:43:27 AM »

Harry Simeone of the Harry Simeone Chorale passed away at age 94....I love, love, love (that is 3 loves) his LITTLE DRUMMER BOY album!!

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2005, 06:44:45 AM »

Hisaka, last night I watched a movie starring Akira Kobayashi...are you familiar with him?

I found out that he was also a singer and I have ordered one of his CDs from Amazon.com.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2005, 06:53:20 AM »

A couple of favorite Oscar moments:

Woody Allen's appearance in the Oscar year after 9/11. He's always disdained the Oscars but appeared there on behalf of his beloved New York, and I had tears in my eyes first from laughing at his hilarious monologue, and then from his touching words of thanks.

Katharine Hepburn's shocking, sudden appearance (with no PR to prepare us she was going to appear) to present the Irving Thalberg Award to one of her longtime producers Laurence Weingarten.

The streaker and David Niven's hilarious comment about his "shortcomings."
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2005, 06:58:00 AM »

I have to say that every time Yves Montand shouted "DAAAISSY GAAMMBBOOOLLLL," I just burst out laughing. Unintentionally awful and a bad performance overall I have lways thought. And though he can certainly carry a tune, his overuse of grace notes really gets on my nerves. Nope, for me, he ruins the movie utterly.

I liked ALL of the new songs added, but I will say that Barbra's enunciation during "Hurry, It's Lovely Up Here" leaves a lot to be desired. People who put down Patti Lupone's enunciation might be surprised how garbled the words of this sound coming from the person at the time I would have called the world's best singer.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2005, 07:00:40 AM »

I also remember Johnny Carson jabbing with Miss Piggy the year she didn't get a nomination for THE MUPPET MOVIE.

Miss Piggy: "Jonathon, don't you think I deserved the Oscar?"

Johnny: "Oscar Meyer maybe."

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2005, 07:06:03 AM »

I also remember John Wayne and Susan Heyward made their final appearances on different Oscar shows before dying some weeks later. In Susan's case, I wouldn't have guessed she was so ill. She looked stunning.

John Wayne looked so frail and his voice was so ravaged that I knew it was just a matter of time.

I also remember Elizabeth Taylor coming out in an astonishing yellow gown to present the Best Picture Oscar (which was won by THE STING). I have never seen her look more beautiful. The audience was stunned by the way she looked. You could actually hear them gasp when  she walked out.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2005, 07:07:32 AM »

Speaking of THE STING, TCM presented it last night properly letterboxed.

COme on, Universal! Isn't it about time you give the deluxe treatment to one of your treasures? All that's available now is a pan and scan transfer with no extras at all.

And while you're at it, remaster the sound so we can hear those Joplin rags in surround, if you please.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2005, 07:45:39 AM »

My favorite Oscar moment was when Patricia Neal appeared following the series of strokes that almost killed her.  For a long time, it seemed that she would never survive the strokes, and if she did, would never walk again.  And yet, when she appeared, it was so incredible and so unexpected, that the ovation and the tears seemed to go on forever.  And for once, the standing ovation seemed spontaneous and sincere.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2005, 07:47:03 AM »

To be fair, it's not a pan-and-scan transfer, it's open matte.  Not that that excuses them from giving us a proper 1:85 transfer.

Yes, Mr. Montand's accent does cause some giggles, but I just like his "presence".  And I'll take a few grace notes anyday over what Barbra does in this film.  Her voice sounds great - her changing the notes of songs (this isn't a club act, it's a film, and a CHARACTER), is terrible.  

BLATHER!

More importantly, what am I doing up at seven-thirty?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2005, 08:06:58 AM »

Nobody here but us chickens.

Waiting for more notes titles, and waiting for COOKIES.  I, myself, will be cookie enabled today.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2005, 08:12:45 AM »

Hurry, it's lonely up here!

Actually, I'm just getting ready to head out to my family buffet (as opposed to Chinese buffet). We don't have  a food of the day, so I'll just eat everything.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2005, 08:14:14 AM »

Yes, I guess I should have called it a full frame transfer. But how great would this look in an anamorphic transfer. All those rich browns. Oh, it just irritates me that these studios are so uncaring about their treasures.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2005, 08:35:37 AM »

A lost day for me.  The surgery still acts up, after 10 weeks, keeping me home from B&N today, and I fear it will indeed have to be redone.  UGH!

I thought DRRodzinski had several good ideas for today's notes title, and all I could think of was "To Whom It May Concern," so I can offer nothing more than this (a CANDIDE reference).

I'm listening to the great Anna Russell on CD right now, a bit bummed that the Sony folk elected to cut from the first  CD several sections from the original LP, "I Gave My Love A Cherry" (for the untrained singer) and "My Heart is Red" (for the tone-deaf singer).  I'm also wondering if we'll get a fourth CD with all of "Anna Russell's Guide to Concert Audiences" with her Piaf-like "Le Derniere Cigarette."

Oscar moments:  Barbra Streisand's god-awful see-through number
                       the streaker
                       Bob Hope as host
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2005, 08:36:47 AM »

I'm sure Universal will revisit The Sting and do it right.  I mean, if they can do a gorgeous Fahrenheit 451 then they can do anything.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2005, 08:41:35 AM »

elmore, Vinnie sent his best to you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2005, 08:42:11 AM »

She of the Evil Eye should be here pretty soon and then I shall have to hie myself out of here.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2005, 09:15:33 AM »

Good Morning!

Good sleep last night.  Now I just need to decid where the rest of the day will take me.  I'm thinking I may head up to Fairfax around 3:00 after I finish taking care of some stuff around the apartment.  We'll see.

But until then...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2005, 09:18:21 AM »

Favorite Oscar telecast moment - 1991, when "Be Our Guest" was nominated for best song and they had the people behind the voices sing it, including Jerry Orbach.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2005, 09:24:43 AM »

The Title of the Notes Is...

The Tale of the Randy Vicar and the Head of Garlic
My Pillow Smells Of Garlic
The Morning After... Garlic
Do You Have An Altoid?
Oh, Sorry - I Had Garlic Last Night
I'm In Love With A Clove
On A Clear Day You Can Smell Me Forever
Garlic On My Plate, Garlic In My Pores
A Clove Is A Clove Is A Clove
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2005, 09:26:10 AM »

DR elmore - FEEL BETTER VIBES!~~~~~~~~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2005, 09:28:11 AM »

Well, I better get off my duff - as opposed to my Swank (???) - before any more "forward motion" leaves my body. Gotta keep moving.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2005, 09:29:02 AM »

Oh!  Did someone say BLATHER?

Or was that COOKIES I heard?

...Oooohhhh.... COOKIES!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2005, 09:37:14 AM »

Well....my favorite Oscar moment.....hmmmm....some have been mentioned, including Susan Hayward....

I liked when Barbara Stanwyck got a Lifetime Oscar presented by her Golden Boy William Holden.

And Lucille Ball (looking like a million dollars) and Bob Hope coming out to give an award about a month before she passed away.

MY FAVORITE FAVORITE award show moment though was on the Emmy Awards when Red Skelton came out to give the award for sound and only said every other word out loud pretending to have mike trouble....LOL.

Which reminds me of the time Red was down in Vincennes Indiana, his home town, where a bridge was renamed in his honor.  Lots of boring speeches by politicians during a ceremony in the middle of the structure.  Then Red was introduced, stood up, walked to the microphone and said: "Okay, everybody get off my bridge!"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2005, 09:50:05 AM »

DR Elmore - Sorry you're not feeling well today :-\

Cookies in my brown-bag lunch:  Golden Oreos.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2005, 09:51:16 AM »

"or downright or even upleft weird. In that latter category, I vote for the Allan Carr-produced Oscarcast where Rob Lowe did a musical number with Snow White. I remember sitting there thinking that the world of the Oscars had truly reached its nadir."

See Bruce-- just when you thought they couldn't get any lower.  That was a high point compared to some of the more recent years.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 10:01:24 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2005, 09:58:23 AM »

I couldn't attach what I wanted.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 10:00:46 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2005, 10:45:16 AM »

The streaker and David Niven's hilarious comment about his "shortcomings."
Sorry, but that moment was too "scripted" for my tastes.  I felt at the time that they had supplied a streaker themselves, just so Niven could give the line.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2005, 10:49:13 AM »

Oh, yes, the FOOD OF THE DAY: COOKIES.  You must eat some kind of cookie and/or cookies and give us a full report on the type, the taste, and the size.

I had cookies today (already!) and this was BEFORE I read that cookies were the FOOD OF THE DAY!  I went to Subway for an early brunch (I had a foot-long dijon turkey, ham and bacon melt) and the guy behind the counter asked if I wanted chips or anything else and I looked at the cookies in the display case that was right next to me and caved in.  I got a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie (the best) and an M&M cookie (second best).  AND the best part is that the guy said that since they were "day old" cookies, he wouldn't charge me for them! ;D Free is always good!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up