Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN  (Read 25584 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN
« on: November 03, 2003, 12:18:42 AM »

Well, if you've read the notes you know what you must do.  Let's make dear reader Emily proud, shall we?

I'll be checking in from work and I hope to see a wonderful story to which I can contribute.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 12:13:47 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 12:23:08 AM »

For a differing opinion on Hulk, check out Ron Pulliam's post (the final post of yesterday's posts) - that, as they say, makes horse racing.

I meant to point out exactly what he did - the Danny Elfman's music seems to have been written for another film - it's very mid-eastern and sounds like we should be watching a film set in Iraq.

Danise

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 03:39:35 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]First post! First post! First post![/move]

Happy B-Day, Emily!

Would like to say more but otta run--work, ya know!  Talk to ya'll tonight and in keeping with todays notes--I will try to give you a rose.

Be good!  Be safe! And be here when I get home!

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 04:05:55 AM »

Bon Fete Mme Emily

Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 04:07:46 AM »

;D
We in fact have six roses Blooming in our garden this weekend!  In November!

Happy Birthday, Emily!

Yes, chat was very lively last night, and I was glad I was there - twice!

-------

"Hey, you!" said the woman to the gentleman.  "Hey, I said."

The man stopped reading his Playbill and looked up, "Are you talking to me?"

"Yea," she said.  "My name is Rose - I am the stage manager for this show.  Do you know the score?"

"Actors: 6  Audience: 3?"  asked the man innocently.

"NO!  Do you know the score to 'Half a Sixpence'?"

"Why yes," he replied, "I do.  Why?"

"Because our leading man is ill - and YOU are going on for the second act!" Rose exclaimed, and began pulling at his arm.

This was a revolting development, but an exciting one.  That is until he began to wonder if he would actually fit into those costumes....and would he have at least a short meeting with the choreographer....

-------------------------------------

Favorite comics:  

Superman - especially the Krypton & "dream" issues.
Mad magazine, of course
Famous Monsters of Filmland
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 04:09:38 AM »

Actually started another storyline but didn't post it in time.......

Once upon a time, there was a man who had a habit of promising rose gardens. He promised a rose garden to everyone and yet he never delivered on his promise. This, of course, caused the man to have a lot of disgruntled people who harbored great animosity towards him. This man also loved musicals, and he would listen to his cast albums all the time, and he would also see musicals whenever he could - in between promising people rose gardens, that is.

One night, he was seeing a production of Half a Sixpence, a show that is rarely done. At intermission, he was standing in the lobby, when suddenly an irate and irritated woman came up to him and said...

Hey, you!" said the woman to the gentleman.  "Hey, I said."

The man stopped reading his Playbill and looked up, "Are you talking to me?"

"Yea," she said.  "My name is Rose - I am the stage manager for this show.  Do you know the score?"

"Actors: 6  Audience: 3?"  asked the man innocently.

"NO!  Do you know the score to 'Half a Sixpence'?"

"Why yes," he replied, "I do.  Why?"

"Because our leading man is ill - and YOU are going on for the second act!" Rose exclaimed, and began pulling at his arm.

This was a revolting development, but an exciting one.  That is until he began to wonder if he would actually fit into those costumes....and would he have at least a short meeting with the choreographer....

Roger DeBris. He'll get you fit for your leather costumes (He Loves It) and you of course will have to have a crash course in playing a banjo and then it started to thunder and the skies opened up and a deluge occured. He immediatley started to sing If the Rains Gotta Fall.....
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 04:15:04 AM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 04:29:50 AM »

Doncha hate when that happens, MDS?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 04:49:04 AM »

http://page2.birthdaywav.com/images/Birthday_Cake_Polka__SJOHN..wav

Emily - click the link for your Birthday Polka.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 05:22:25 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMILY! POUTINE FOR EVERYONE.

JRand, loved the Birthday Cake song.

I read Superman, Archie comics, and the Disney comics, especially Scrooge McDuck and Donald and his nephews. I also remember enjoying the Harvey brand, Little Lulu, Richie Rich, Little Lotta.

I also loved the Hardy Boys series, especially when it transferred on-screen to the Mickey Mouse Club. You younger readers, by that I mean the Original Mickey Mouse Club, not the re-hash with Britney Spears and other current pop stars  ;D

I'll come back later and add to the story.

Sorry I couldn't make chat last night but dinner with friends was on our calendar. A nice breast of chicken with basil and sundried tomatoes, steamed baby carrots and wild rice was our main dish topped off by fresh seasonal fruit and good coffee.

Later, folks.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2003, 05:47:41 AM »

Happy Birthday, Emily.  I'd give you a gift of some karma but I still don't quite understand what that is.

Last night I made beef stew, without a recipe.  Improvisation is the spice of life, folks; yes, improvisation

BTW (By the way, in Internet lingo), I'll be teaching an advanced song improvisation course at Second City/NY over the next several Thursdays.  I'm also teaching a one-night drop-in (for which there's no prerequisite or commitment) next Monday night.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Emily

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2003, 06:14:02 AM »

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes and to BK for fulfilling my own personal "caprice" (Noel - are you sure that I can use that in English?)

I too will add to the story later.  Right now there is not enough caffeine in my system for serious creative writing! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2003, 06:32:24 AM »

Good morning everyone.  Chat last night was quite lovely but I was about 20 minutes late and I think I missed all the surprises.   ???

Thanks to those who replied to my theatre horror story.  Maybe I'm strange, but knowing people sympathize makes the whole experience easier to digest.  And like I said, I enjoyed the show so much that they didn't ruin it for me, which is a relief.  I did seriously think about calling an usher, and will keep that in mind for the next time.  (Hopefully, there won't be a next time!)  It's so unfortunate that there are, as Tom and Jennifer said, people who think going to the theatre is the same thing as being home in front of the TV.

Re: Finding Nemo

I also thought Ellen's performance was the best thing about this movie.  (I enjoyed it a lot, but didn't like it as much as the previous Pixar films.)  It would be great if she were able to receive some kind of award for it.  I've just recently started watching Ellen's talk show in the morning, and I think she is hilarious!  She is so gracious to her guests without being annoyingly self-serving like many other hosts.  I hope the show does well.

td - I agree about Albert Brooks.  He gives me the same feeling, but I didn't mind him as the father in this movie.

Re: other topics

MDS - sorry to hear about your losses.  My condolences to you and your family.

Happy Birthday to DR Emily!  Hope you enjoy your chicken and cake tonight.  

Lastly, thank you to the karma fairy.  Karma = warm fuzzies!
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Ben

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2003, 06:37:36 AM »

MDS: My sympathies and thoughts to you and your family on news of your loss.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2003, 06:50:59 AM »

Remember BK - no rose garden means no thorns.

I've been a fan of the Disney Comic books since I was a kid.  At the time, I thought Walt actually had something to do with them but now I know all the best Duck stories and art were the work of Cark Barks.  Fortunately in the early 90s almost all of the Barks stories were reissued on good paper with strong binding, and they hold up beautifully.  After a short hiatus, several Disney titles began publishing  again last September, and while they are still fun to read, most of them can't come close to the Barks in story (although they do in art).

It's a busy day at work (first of the month) so I'll just make brief comments on the two shows we saw over the weekend.  CABIN IN THE SKY is one of those shows that falls into the great score/bad book category, but the cast at Musicals Tonight really did justice to the score so you didn't mind the book as much.

I've been waiting to see a production of MAN WITH A LOAD OF MISCHIEF since I first heard the LP in 1966 and I'm glad to say it was worth the wait.  Mufti capped off a great season with a delightful production of this under-appreciated gem.

BK - I hope FINDING NEMO lives up to your rave.  I enjoyed SPIRITED AWAY, but after all the great things you said about it I was a little disappointed that I merely liked it and didn't love it.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2003, 06:56:51 AM »

Let's se if this actually works.  If ti does, not only will we have cake, but weenies as well!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2003, 06:58:06 AM »

YAY it worked! Typos and all !!!!!!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2003, 06:59:09 AM »

CAKE FOR EMILY!

I guess the hot dogs are for the rest of us!
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2003, 07:01:23 AM »

Kerry, you get karma for the picture and for the commentary. Very funny!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2003, 07:07:20 AM »

What a great picture! Thanks for sharing, DR Kerry!

As a young kid, I liked Casper. Then, pre-teen, I switched to Archie comics. I couldn't wait to grow up and get in high school and do cool things like the Archie gang did.

I went to camp the summer I was 12 and got introduced to SUPERMAN, and that was it! I subscribed to every one of the DC family of comics where Superman or his pals had leading roles (meaning we got A LOT of comic books delivered in the mail to my house). Couldn't ever quite get into Batman then.

BIG, BIG fan of MAD magazine. Loved the Hardy Boys on THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB, but couldn't get into the books. I much preferred Nancy Drew for some reason. The mysteries just seemed more dangerous and exciting with girls doing most of the detecting. I was STILL buying the yearly Nancy Drew title when I was in college!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2003, 07:12:15 AM »

Happy Birthday, Emily!

I'll take a piece of cake AND a hot dog please.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2003, 07:13:20 AM »

I forgot to mention comics.  I was always a big fan of Archie comics and think they are still in a closet somewhere in my mother's house.  I never got into Marvel or DC but I did watch some of the superhero shows on TV.  I also read a lot of Nancy Drew, even into junior high I would read the ones set in the present.

I've read some of Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics (I love his novels, too) and really like them, but I'm too cheap to go searching for every past issue, so I usually borrow them from friends.  I like when past issues of comics are published in a handy-dandy book, making them easier to collect.
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2003, 07:17:13 AM »

Happy Birthday Emily!!!  BK, you MUST go to the "Dear World" reading, it needs a new book but the score is so golden, if you get a chance to make an opinion if you go, if would be worth THEIR while, I'm sure.  But then again, if they have issues with your opinions you can say to them, "I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden" and of course, they'll look at you and think "What the HELL is he talking about!"  :)

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2003, 07:35:11 AM »

Happy, happy birthday Emily!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :)   ;)   :D   ;D   8)   ::)   :o   :)   ;D   :D   ;)  [/move]

Favorite comics when I was a kid were various Marvel comics but particularly THE INHUMANS, THE AVENGERS, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, and THE FANTASTIC 4. I also picked up FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND each and every issue begining around 1975.

After I have had some coffee then I might try my hand at adding to the story-line. :-\

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2003, 08:05:12 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EMILY!!![/move]  I hope you have a wonderful day.

KERRY:  I haven't seen that photo in years.  I used to have one of my sister's fan magazines that I saved because of that picture.  In those days, I wasn't really a fan of Roddy's (too fey), but Tab was, after-all, Joe Hardy in Damn Yankees.  I thought he was dreamy (LOL).

My favorite comics were the same as several others.  MAD Magazine was my all-time favorite and I was always getting into arguements with those unenlightened kids who preferred CRACKED to MAD  I also liked ARCHIE (I identified with Betty) and SCROOGE MCDUCK.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 08:06:02 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2003, 08:06:23 AM »

We need more story.  Scroll up to MDS's post and then continue from where he left off...

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2003, 08:11:46 AM »

Just to clarify, the Kander/Ebb memory book COLORED LIGHTS does seem to be available now. I went to Amazon this morning and purchased a copy that the listing said was "in stock." Looking forward to reading this.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2003, 08:50:42 AM »

Ouch!  Oh! Too Bad:  I'm way sorry BK didn't like "The Hulk."  I, too, watched this film last night.  I have some reservations about it, but not about the director, not about the story and not about it's totally arresting presentation.  My reservations are about the music, and the stereotypical bug-a-boo of an eternally evil, always-against-the-civilians, military. Gimme a break.

I was fascinated, mostly, although the mid-eastern wailing affectations forced onto some of the scenes were joltingly banal and stupid.  One doesn't expect that in scenes taking place in the American desert with only Americans in sight.

The story is the "front" for the entire comic strip series -- how Bruce Banner became "The Hulk."  I thought the story developeld this "front" with compassion, intelligence and technical savvy.  

It did not, however, have wit.  And it needed some wit.  

Eric Bana was fine as Bruce Banner, pre-Hulk.  His character was mostly confused, so that's what Bana did with him throughout.  I'd have loved seeing him -- just once -- forego the shame and embrace the Hulk within. I caught a glimmer of that in the last scene, but it WAS the last scene.

The CGI Hulk worked fine, for me.  I accepted him quite easily, although I hate it when movies reveal all their special effects secrets before the film is ever released.  Way too much calling attention to the special effects folks making us ever mindful that what we're seeing is not real and can NEVER SEEM REAL now that we're onto how they did it.

Jennifer Connelly was, in my estimation, adequate.  Her character never rang true for me, although I don't blame Ms. Connelly for that.  It was not a sympathetic character.  She was too analytical in her relationship with Bruce and when he needed her most, she turned him over to the person with whom she had the most issues -- her father.  Toward the end, when she said she loved Bruce, I think I sneered, so little did I believe her.  And I'm a softy for screen romance.

Overall, it's a far more satisfying film than many of its ilk.  I liked it better than "Spiderman," and 1,000 times better than "Armageddon."  That measure ought to count for something by someone.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 09:01:01 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2003, 08:54:20 AM »

Here is your Allison Hayes Picture of the Day.  Featured as Joyce Kern AKA Sue Morton with Mr Dennis O'Keefe in 1955's Chicago Syndicate.

Costumes by Jean Louis.  ;D

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2003, 09:00:40 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO EMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The very best wishes, sweetie, on the start of your second decade!!

I SO wish now that I could have gotten on for chat earlier and stayed later, with all the revels and revelations that took place!  But the half hour I was there was tres fun.

I'm not a big comics person, although I do have more than a passing aqcuaintance with some comics due to some of the men in my life, hehe.  I agree with LC that The Sandman is excellent...so textured and mythic.  I like some manga, Japanese comics.  I also LOVE Mad Magazine...just brilliant satire.  

MDS--My deepest condolences on your recent losses!

Well, I really should get going as I AM still at my friend's house.  I'll post my own addition to Emily's birthday story later!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2003, 09:08:43 AM »

Maya:  Do you mena Emily's second decade? Or her second score?  If she is just turning eleven, I had better start watching my language more closely.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up