Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN  (Read 25327 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2003, 12:08:02 PM »

Maybe the Czech was in the mail.

Thanks Jason for the Bounce report.  Now, before we bounce you, you better make up for your errant and truant ways with many posts.

td

• td
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2003, 12:17:58 PM »

I've read some of Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics (I love his novels, too) and really like them, but I'm too cheap to go searching for every past issue, so I usually borrow them from friends.  I like when past issues of comics are published in a handy-dandy book, making them easier to collect.

Any fan of Neil Gaiman deserves all the karma I can muster! ! !

DR Drumm (he of Phoenix, AZ - and where is he now?) got me started onto The Sandman series; I had already read and loved NEVERWHERE, but never thought myself to be the graphic novel/comic book kinda guy.  Well, I was wrong ! ! ! Gaiman's take on mythology, dreams and the human condition is one of a kind.  My last two Ebay wins were the dvd of the BBC broadcast of NEVERWHERE and the most recent Sandman graphic novel!

I also, thanks to DR Drumm (come back to HHW, B.D., B.D.!) have a place in my heart for Allan Moore's graphic novels; which is one of the reasons that FROM HELL, the movie, disappointed me. . .

« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 12:19:05 PM by td »
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2003, 12:27:38 PM »

I was going to give Jason a hard time for his "bussing" a greyhound (isn't that disgusting when they've had liver treats????), but I figured it would earn nothing more than a groan from a few of the oldsters and would be greeted with total silence by the youngsters, so I thought it best NOT to bring it up at all.

;D

Sarah:  How come you aren't in school today?  Is this a post-SAT holiday or something?

Emily:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, Dear, Dear Emily[/move]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 12:28:36 PM by Ron Pulliam »

td

• td
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2003, 12:30:28 PM »

Faithful readers of Scarlet Street magazine have been treated to the hot dog picture that Karma-worthy Kerry posted earlier in the day.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY NATAL DAY, EMILY[/move].[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
. .emily. .
[/move] [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%].emily. . .[/move](have you been Americanized yet?)

Robert Goulet took one look at the bill of faire at the cafe and shouted, "Now they have me working for hot dogs!"

Max calmly stated, "Bobby, baby. . . it's a kosher wiener."

Goulet, sullen, exclaimed, "If I had bigger ears, would you be tossing me peanuts as pay?"

Max, hesitant to create a furor in the Edison Cafe, blurted out, "Well, at least I never promised you a rose garden."

At which point, Tricia Nixon Cox walked gracefully into the cafe.

td

• td
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2003, 12:40:48 PM »

and, last but certainly not least, a great take on a great film:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/gee/gee10.html

Ben

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2003, 12:43:12 PM »

Yes, Dear BK, thanks for the deux ex machina to get us back. We east coast folk can tend to be a little NY centric when it comes to place. Sorry bout that! We were talking about Max Bialystock, after all, so I just assumed (I know, never assume, you make an ass of u and me;-)

According to Playbill On-Line, Urinetown will close on January 18. It may be a publicity shot, but if not, I hope some deal will pop up to keep it open. It deserves to run longer, even without Mr. Cullum.

Too bad about Bounce. Doesn't sound like it will come to NY after Chicago and DC.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2003, 12:43:59 PM »

Funnily, right after Tricia Nixon Cox walked into the cafe (gracefully), in walked Cynthia Nixon and Courtney Cox.  That was a lot of Nixons and Coxes in the Edison Cafe.  Cynthia Nixon ordered the Wally Cox special and Courtney Cox ordered the Richard Nixon special.  Tricia Nixon Cox ordered the Lyndon B. Johnson special.  In the meantime, Roger was saying, "What if we opened the show on Broadway with Michael Crawford and Bob could do a simultaneous tour, starting in the summer.  Would you be up for that Bob?  Could you stick with it or would you leave unexpectedly?"  Bob Goulet looked at Roger wryly.  "If ever I would leave you, it wouldn't be in summer," he said.  Roger looked at him and said...

Ben

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2003, 12:45:48 PM »

"Could you ask the waiter to get me a rye and soda, please? With a maraschino cherry."

Tomovoz

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2003, 12:45:54 PM »

First things first. Yes I have read today's column but not the posts. Happy birthday Emily. Now to read the posts.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2003, 12:46:49 PM »

Does anyone still drink Rye? Of, course there is Faygo Rock and Rye, an obscure soda from the Detroit and Windsor area. Also from that area comes the delicious Vernor's Ginger Ale.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2003, 12:49:56 PM »

I'm back, and $15 richer. I read a little bit of Sir Gawain, and watched a lot of TC. TLC has the best shows, I love the "Story" series. I also watched the first installment of 'Diddy Runs The City". I like P. Diddy. His music isn't GREAT, but it could be a lot worse, and he's got serious determination. If you haven't got the slightest clue as to what I'm talking about, Sean "P. Diddy" Combs ran the NY Marathon to raise $1,000,000 for the public schools in the NYC area. He is NOT a runner, and had to learn how to run 26 miles without killing himself. He did it in a little over 4 hours, which is AWESOME. It was fun to watch the thing unraveling.

It is HOT. I am in shorts and a tank top and I am HOT I tell you. It's wonderful. Hopefully this will carry over through December, although I doubt it. If it NEVER gets cold, I'll be as happy as a clam. WHAT does that mean, anyway? Are clams happy?

I think I got lost at some point during the story, so let me reread it, and I'll take it from there.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2003, 12:51:38 PM »

And Bob said, "I could.  Truly, I could.  But I'm not your fershluganah 'boy'!"  

"Ask him yourself!"

And Goulet stood up and went over to mingle with the Nixons and Coxes.

Ben

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2003, 12:52:25 PM »

I read from the Associated Press just now that it's official Urinetown will close in January. Oh, well.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2003, 12:54:13 PM »

Suddenly, in walked Julie Nixon Eisenhower and Susan Ford, along with her brother, Peter ford.

Coxes and Fords, Nixons and Eisenhowers mingled and mixed.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2003, 12:55:57 PM »

Out of the din, Julie Nixon Eisenhower's voice rang out: "Well, he's not at Hair Club for Men!"  And everyone laughed gaily.

td

• td
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2003, 12:56:13 PM »

Funnily, right after Tricia Nixon Cox walked into the cafe (gracefully), in walked Cynthia Nixon and Courtney Cox.  That was a lot of Nixons and Coxes in the Edison Cafe.  Cynthia Nixon ordered the Wally Cox special and Courtney Cox ordered the Richard Nixon special.  Tricia Nixon Cox ordered the Lyndon B. Johnson special.  In the meantime, Roger was saying, "What if we opened the show on Broadway with Michael Crawford and Bob could do a simultaneous tour, starting in the summer.  Would you be up for that Bob?  Could you stick with it or would you leave unexpectedly?"  Bob Goulet looked at Roger wryly.  "If ever I would leave you, it wouldn't be in summer," he said.  Roger looked at him and said...
"Your jousting days are number, bubala.  It's time to sing of garlic and blood and things that go bump in the night."

"ah, pardon me," said the stumbling form of Courtney Cox, "but, you're not David.  Where is David?"

"David didn't come for this trip," sighed a relieved former first daughter, "he's off in Gettysburg near the Eisenhower estate."

Tricia chirrupped in, "Yeah, your David is at the Gettysburg address."

At which point Bob Goulet sang strongly. . .

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2003, 01:00:37 PM »

"LINE!"
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 01:04:43 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2003, 01:01:35 PM »

Did anyone mention that Eric Bana is yet another Australian invader?
Favourite comics: Mad, Archie, Superman and the Disneys (especially the serial ones with Donald, Scrooge H D & L etc).
I guess Jason will never get to work in a Sondheim show now!
And Melbourne OZ gets to see a production of "Urinetown" in early 2004.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2003, 01:03:01 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! I AM A FULL MEMBER ! ! ![/move]

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2003, 01:03:55 PM »

"The Love Bug will getcha if you don't watch out
And if he every bit ya you would sing and shout
You'd go
Hie-de hie-de hie-de hie-di hoe-di hoe-di hoe
That's what love is all about."

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2003, 01:04:23 PM »

td - How is the DVD of Neverwhere?  I loved the book as well and would like to see the miniseries.  I have a friend who met Neil Gaiman when she was studying at Oxford and he supposedly wrote her into the series as an extra "woman in a red dress," but I have no idea if it made the final cut.
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2003, 01:09:35 PM »

He started to floridly sing in his once-full baritone--
 "Seeing you in summer, I never would go
Your hair streaked with sunlight, your lips red..."

But Goulet could not finish the phrase for who should have walked in but Sir Elton John and David Hasselhoff.  Sir Elton, clad in a white leather jumpsuit, looked ecstatic.  

"This is it, everyone!  I have found my Vampire Lestat!"

At that Hasselhoff started to sing a song from the score and Bialy, Roger, Michael Crawford, Cynthia Nixon, Courtney Cox Arquette and everyone else present at the Edison Cafe, simulataneously put their hands to their ears and screamed.

LC--that's so cool!  Gaiman is a hunk!

Jason--I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like Bounce.  Although I didn't love it by any means, I didn't feel as negatively about it as you did.  There's just no getting around it though.  It needs work (oh a Coleman and Zippel reference!)  :)

I'm so sad to hear about Urinetown closing so early!  Boo...does this mean I may not get to see Mr. Sheffield???
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 01:10:35 PM by Maya »

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2003, 01:14:03 PM »

Maya - he is, but given my choice of dark-haired British writers, I'd rather Alex Garland.  :)

I guess you will have to come to NY again to see Urinetown!
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2003, 01:15:35 PM »

td: Even more in common now. Now if I can just work on lowering my age so we have that in common too. We chosen children deserve to be full members.
James Thurber 1957

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2003, 01:16:34 PM »

LC--lol, that sounds like a plan to me!  I was only planning on seeing 2 shows (Wonderful Town and Nine) on my NY trip this month, but I may have to try and get rush tickets for Urinetown and see that again.

Any way you could post a pic of Alex Garland???  ;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2003, 01:18:04 PM »

Does anyone still drink cellery soda?

I thought Rock and Rye was that extremely sweet liquor with the orange slices in the bottle?  Isn't that called something and Rye?

Urinetown closing?  That pisses me off!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2003, 01:18:33 PM »

Yes, they were all in a time/space continuum.  Meanwhile, back in the world of non-time/space continuums, Carol Lawrence, the former Mrs. Goulet was pruning some roses while she sang A Boy Like That.  Suddenly, her phone rang.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2003, 01:19:40 PM »

I just read the N.Y. Daily News review of "Bounce" -- and it's as positive as Brantley's was last week.

What's going on????

« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 01:20:09 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2003, 01:21:28 PM »

It was Eydie Gourmet wanting to know if she could borrow a cup of flour.  She wanted to make some matzohs, but was running low.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2003, 01:25:12 PM »

Carol sighed.  "Oh, Eydie, must you always call me and borrow my foodstuffs.  I'm already busy making a salad for Rebecca Romaine Stamos and a roast beef for Shia LeBoeuf.  "

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up