Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SO THAT WAS GOOD  (Read 22905 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SO THAT WAS GOOD
« on: November 04, 2003, 12:12:41 AM »

If you've read the notes you'll know all about what to post.  If you haven't, you'll be in the dark, oh, yes, you'll be in the dark.  

So, let's get our postin' fingers ready and let's go to town with loads of lovely posts.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 12:19:11 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:SO THAT WAS GOOD
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 12:21:59 AM »

I"ll Be Here Tomorrow", "Look Over There" and "I Don't Want To Know" are my favourites from Mr Herman.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 12:24:53 AM »

And of course I shall indeed be here tomorrow. (In about 12 hours time). I love the score for "The Grand Tour" and of course the wonderful score for "Mack & Mabel". I rarely play "Dolly" or "Mame. That must mean something.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 12:36:38 AM »

I'll post about Jerry Herman's songs later after I’ve had time to think (well, after I sleep).

I was going to post a picture ;) at the end of yesterday's posts, but I took too long and the day closed before I was able to.  (I checked back at the regular page before I clicked "post" just to make sure and BK had closed the day.)  So, what I was going to post was this...and I hope that no one minds that it's another attractive picture of a very attractive man (and I don't plan on doing this on a regular basis):
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 04:44:23 AM »

Even though the book is weak I do enjoy the score from Dear World and one of my favorite Jerry Herman songs is from DW, Kiss Her Now. I also like Look Over There mentioned by DR Tom. Time Heals Everything, from Mack and Mabel, is a beautiful song. For a nice up-tempo I smile at With You on My Arm.

The story just kind of petered out yesterday. Oh, well. Hope you enjoyed what we wrote Birthday Girl.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 04:45:22 AM »

BTW, George, nice picture. I only hope I look that good when I sleep.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 04:51:03 AM »

Max Von Essen as Dorian a musical of The Portrait of Dorian Grey

Have a good day all

I was having such "sures" getting to the discussion board and then posting this pic
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 02:52:45 PM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 05:12:17 AM »

As for Mr. Jerry Herman:

Marianne & I'll Be Here Tomorrow from The Grand Tour
Kiss Her Now & I Was Beautiful & I Don't Want to Know from Dear World
Time Heals Everything & I Won't Send Roses from Mack & Mabel

Just realized that the songs are all ballads and from his flops. As much as I enjoy his uptempo songs the above songs have more resonance for me.

I would have added Motherhood and Elegance from Hello, Dolly! but they were written by Bob Merrill.
Never stop dreaming.

Jason

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 05:42:24 AM »

'Morning, all... I'm sorry I didn't post any more last night. I took my nap, like I planned to, but what I hadn't planned on was sleeping all the way through the night! I fell asleep around 4:30pm and I woke up this morning at 8:00! Wow! I feel rested, which is good, though I'm not sure that any amount of stretching will be sufficient. :)

Tom from Oz: I would hope that if Mssrs. Sondheim and Prince read yesterday's post that they would realize that my criticisms of BOUNCE were meant in the most earnest and honest way. I love 95% of their work individually, but BOUNCE was a mess and if I were to never be cast in one of their shows simply for saying so, well then...so be it, I guess. I wasn't a huge fan of PASSION the way it was originally done (even though I know Mr. Prince didn't direct it), but when I saw it with Judy Kuhn and Michael Cerveris, under a different director's hand, my mind was changed. Perhaps that would be the case with BOUNCE...I dunno.

Jerry Herman songs: "We Need A Little Christmas," "Put On Your Sunday Best," "Hello, Dolly," "Mame," "I Am What I Am," and "If He Walked Into My Life."

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 05:46:02 AM »

Mark Steyn pointed out something about songs from musicals that I'm sure occurred to Jay and BK last night at Dear World.  The quality of the individual song is not nearly so important as how it works in the show.  So, Jerry Herman has done fine work on some flops, and, when you listen to the album, you think "How could this be a flop?"  When you see the show, you know.

Jerry Herman wrote the very first show I saw on Broadway, so, naturally, my favorite Herman songs all come from it.

My Best Girl
The Letter (in which Patrick grows up)
Gooch's Song

Also, I did The Madwoman of Chaillot in high school.  I was the garbageman, which isn't as small a part as it sounds.  I think some kids from Hami saw it, but did BK attend?  No, I don't think so.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Andrea

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2003, 05:57:20 AM »

well good morning all (as I obsessively check hhw before my ten o'clock class).

Unfortunately, I have no idea who this Jerry herman gentleman is! However, you can be sure that Emily will have sent me the entire works by the end of the day.

Life has been fairly busy as I try to remember which paper is due next and glare enviously at DR Emily who just sits there calmly with her coffee and non-academic novel. Unfortunately CYGOPP and I had a little tiff about (of all things!) Scottish Country Dancing: I insisted he give it a try and he is been extremely stubborn. Final decision about the dancing comes in today.

Have any of you DR tried scottish country dancing? It's wonderful fun. You get to prance around a room doing set dances that leave you panting for air and laughing at the same time and you don't need any rhythm at all! What's not to love! All the men get dolled up in their kilts which is already a lovely sight to see!

And DR Jason: You are oh so very fortunate to have gotten that sleep!

Have a lovely day everyone!

td

• td
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2003, 06:14:20 AM »

Favorite Jerry Herman songs to start my day:

You, I Like
I'll Be Here Tomorrow
Shalom
Kiss Her Now
I Don't Want to Know
Look What Happened to Mabel
Just Leave Everything to Me
Love, Look in my Window
Love is Only Love
If He Walked into My Life
Song on the Sand
Where in the World is My Prince?
Loving You
Time Heals Everything
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2003, 06:16:35 AM »

I like just about all Jerry Herman songs, even if the shows they come from are not always as good as the scores deserve.  I think the whole score to MILK AND HONEY is highly under-rated and I also feel Herman's contributions to A DAY IN HOLLYWOOD are far superior to the rest of the score.  That said, I still don't understand how a composer can take a song already used and recorded (PARADE's "Showtune") and pass it off as new for a Broadway musical (MAME's "It's Today").  The man is so talented couldn't he have written a new song?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2003, 06:20:18 AM »

Update on the Unpleasant Business:

Over a week of notes and posts to catch up on.  Ay!

First, I want to thank all of y'all for the vibes, through e-mail, posts and via the ether.  They seem to be helping.

The trial is still not finished.  The investigating detective told me he's been at murder trials that didn't last this long.  Oh yes, I've been out in the hall, since witnesses are not supposed to see the trial, and I've been chatting with the arresting officer, the detectives--we've become great old friends, and they have nothing but sympathy for Joe.

Fortunately, Lord and Lady Macbeth have done exactly what we expected them to.  They've over-emoted, made up wild lies, and contradicted themselves and each other all over the place.  Plus admitting--voluntarilly--to child neglect.  I don't think the jury bought their story for a minute.

Both Prosecution and Defense have finished presenting their cases.  We have election day off--I'm at work doing some much-needed catch-up (I really mustard do it, but I don't relish it.)--and tomorrow will be the closing summations and the verdict.

So once again, I have some specific vibes to request, if you would be so good:

1.  Since one of the charges turns on a fine point of the law and should have been dropped in the first place--but the judge is closed-minded and adamant--I would request vibes to soften his mind and those of the jury on that point.

2.  And, of course, I request vibes leading toward the exoneration of the innocent, resulting in joy and jubilation all around (except at the MacB. estate), followed by "it cost over $ 20,000, but it was worth it."

3.  And a rousing chorus of "Move On".

Thank you all, and I hope to be back in the swim of things soon.

Love ya!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2003, 07:11:39 AM »

If you've all been following, I'm in the middle of production of "Jerry's Girs" (more on that later this week) and I enjoy EVERY song in that show and all the others that are not represented in "Jerry's Girls" - although, I'm not saying the "Jerry's Girls" is a good show, because in truth, the licensed version pretty much sucks, but we've made it work.  It's basically turned out to be a JH revue, which works wonderfully.  More on all that later (didn't I already say that?)  But if I had to pick a favorite JH song, I'd have to say that "I Never Said I Loved You" from "Dear World" is definately my favorite (and it's NOT in Jerry's Girls)  :(   I can be more passionate about all this, but I'm getting late for work.  More later.

Emily

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2003, 07:21:53 AM »

Good morning everyone!!!

I woke up today to snow, sleet and rain.  All at the same time.  Ugh.  Pretty from indoors but Ugh.

Let's see how long it takes me using the bus to get to and from school today. ;)

Thank you everyone for the wonderful birthday wishes!  An espeically big MERCI to the BK-est of BKs for fufilling my wish of a HHW constructed epic.  It had it's funny moments despite its short length... :)

Yesterday I ate chicken and cake for dinner - as is the tradition in my family on my birthday.  St-Hubert-like (but better more localized version) chicken and German Chocolate Cake.  I LOVE coconut!  Have I ever mentioned that here?  I'm also continuing my kinda-but-not-quite-there Subway diet.  I will be eating my 4.9 grams of fat and 234 calories grilled chicken sandwich three times a week for lunch.

If it works for some loser like Jared - it can work for me!!!!

Jason: how goes the certain situation that I'm not allowed to mention by name?  Let's just say it starts with "M" and ends with "ice"

Andrea: CYGOPP should be HAPPY to go Scottish Country Anything with you.  Break out the guilt trip!

I don't really like Jerry Herman (or his songs tee hee) so I'm going to sit this one out.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 07:23:10 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2003, 07:22:43 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~Vibes to WFo and Joe~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

William E. Lurie

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2003, 07:43:01 AM »

Sorry about your bad weather Emily.  It's beautiful in NYC.  Yesterday set a record for 11/3 - 80!  Today is still nice, but it won't get that high.  It doesn't seem like Autumn.

After my post above, I realized that Jerry Herman is not the only composer to re-use a melody.  Jule Styne did it at least three times.  He took the song "I'm In Persuit of Happiness" that he and Leo Robbins wrote for the TV special RUGGLES OF RED GAP and gave it to Sondheim who wrote new lyrics to it - "You'll Never Get Away From Me" from GYPSY.  Sondheim claimed he did not know he was re-writting an already used melody or he would not have done it.  A few years later the Styne, Comden and Green "Call Me Savage" which Carol Burnett sang in FADE IN, FADE OUT was rewritten for Leslie Uggams, Marilyn Cooper and Barbara Sharma to sing as "Bubble, Bubble" in HALLALUJAH BABY by the same three writters.  Finally, when GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDS was re-written as LORELI to accomodate an aging Miss Channing, the song "Sunshine" from the original was re-written as "Paris, Paris" for the rewrite, although it was cut on the road.

Rodgers & Hart's big hit "Blue Moon" went through three prior sets of lyrics before finding the ones that made it one of their biggest hits.  Two of them were never used, but Shirley Ross (in blackface) sang the original lyrics "The Bad In Every Man" in the film MANHATTAN MELODY.  One of the unused versions ("The Prayer") was supposed to be sung by Jean Harlow in the film HOLLYWOOD PARTY but it was never filmed.

And Frank Loesser re-wrote his "Three-Cornered Tune" as "Fugue For Tinhorns", both for GUYS AND DOLLS, although the unused version was not recorded until many years after the show's original production.

Does any DR know any other re-use of the same music with different lyrics?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2003, 07:52:58 AM »

I see by reading the Stats board that our latest member is Mr. Pogue!

One can never be too rich or too thin or have too many members, especially of the eriudite type represented by Mr. Charles Pogue.

Ben

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2003, 07:58:55 AM »

The weather has changed here in NY from beautiful, balmy 78 to grey, cloudy and possible rain. Oh, well, it is November after all.

Donald's radio show is good listenin' folks. If you haven't yet, then get in there and listen. Lots of new and interesting releases and for those of you in the Anthony Warlow fan club, you get to hear some of his new CD.

There is also an interesting show on BBC Radio 3 Stage and Screen this week. If you're interested in Mark Blitzstein at all (The Cradle Will Rock is probably his most well-known piece) you can listen to his story and his work at Stage and Screen. It will be up until next Monday at 11am EST.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2003, 07:59:04 AM »

Yep, Irving Berlin rewrote "Smile and Show Your Dimple" and it became "Easter Parade."

Favorite Jerry Herman: On top without question: "I Don't Want to Know" from DEAR WORLD

Others I really like: "It Only Takes a Moment," "If He Walked into My Life," "I Won't Send Roses," "Lovin' You," and "Look Over There."
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ben

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2003, 08:00:01 AM »

Oh, yes, besides the Karma, good vibes to WFO & Joe.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2003, 08:04:28 AM »

Oh my!  This is just the BEST site ever!

Thanks DR Donna for the info and link about the new musical movie!

And thanks to a special DR for the links to the Lil Abner info and pictures!  

Oh my, I guess I am just a Jerry Herman fan for most everything he has written, but I will give some mention to a couple of songs:

If He Walked Into My Life and Before the Parade Passes By are a couple of crowd pleasers that are also very intensely personal songs for the character singing them - they work so well in their respective shows, and can also be enjoyed concert-wise!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2003, 08:04:49 AM »

Hehehehe - I made my smilies "glow"!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2003, 08:18:09 AM »

Elyse Gardner is yesterday's USA TODAY thought there was much to like in Bounce - and that they had time to fix it before it comes in to New York.  ;D

So many HHW DRs needing good vibes:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Here they come!

And here is your Allison Hayes picture of the day - from the cover of the October, 1954, issue of Tempo magazine.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2003, 08:18:29 AM »

I've never seen DEAR WORLD staged, and come to think of it, I've never seen the film version of THE MADWOMAN OF CHAILLOT with Katharine Hepburn either, but I understand it's kind of dull. Not surprising that the musical version wouldn't be especially interesting either apart from that wonderful music.

Topic for a future day, bk: What classic films that you've heard others talk about for years have you not seen.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2003, 08:40:36 AM »

Help...why would my Region One Criterion DVD of A Night to Remember suddenly start giving the "unable to read" or "no disk" message on my RCA DVD player?

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2003, 08:47:47 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good Morning Everybody![/move]

I posted this yesterday rather late, so I'm posting it again in case you didn't see it.  

A new movie has just been released called ANYTHING BUT LOVE[/b]. It's a musical and was filmed similar to the Technicolor films of the 1950's. It stars Isabel Rose, Andrew McCarthy and Alix Korey--with a special appearance by Eartha Kitt. The score is full of standards plus some new material by Steven Lutvak.

They don't have major distribution so they are relying on word-of-mouth and screenings at film festivals. There are several movie houses in the L.A. area that will be showing it on November 14. There are screenings in other parts of the country too.

Here's a link to their website for all the info http://www.anythingbutlovemovie.com.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2003, 08:54:34 AM »

I love Jerry Herman, and I've often wondered how come books couldn't be written around his music!  "Mack and Mabel," for instance, plays so beautifully as an album...why couldn't the story be strengthened to support it?  

As for "Dear World," I've seen the Hepburn movie and it's a wild fantasy.  My problems with the score are that there are too many ballads (yes! too many) for story lines that weren't significant in the oriignal play.  In other words, they've created romances and made a big to-do over them that weren't part of the original work...and that's probably why they seem, to me, to be out of place and disjointed.  Still, I can think of few better songs than "The Tea Party" in Broadway musical history -- such fun, such creativity and wonderful musicality!

In "Mack and Mabel," it's "Time Heals Everything" that gets me emotionally....and "Tap Your Troubles Away" that lifts my spirits!

"La Cage..." is a unique musical.  "I Am What I Am" is one of the great numbers...usually Herman writes them for women and this was almost not an exception.  "Song on the Sand" is wistful and nearly like a "Swan song."  

And who'd have thought it pretty much WAS a swan song as we've gotten nothing remotely memorable out of Herman since this show was done (no, not even "Mrs. Santa Claus").  In fact, it seems the past 20 years have been used to celebrate the handful of scores Herman did write...and it seems he's content to rest and rest and rest again on his laurels.   ;D

« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 09:00:15 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2003, 08:56:40 AM »

JRand:  Something on the playing surface of the disk might cause such a reaction in a DVD player.

Also, dust on the lens of the DVD laser itself might cause it.

Then...there's the dreaded "rot" which plagued laserdiscs...and the bronzing which plagues CDs.  How does the disc look?

Can you try the DVD in a different player?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up