Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SO THAT WAS GOOD  (Read 22719 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:SO THAT WAS GOOD
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2003, 02:49:17 PM »

"Wicked" cast recording, song list, pre-order at discount:

http://www.musicalschwartz.com/wicked-music.htm

A very good place to visit!!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 02:50:46 PM by Ron Pulliam »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2003, 02:55:55 PM »

It was indeed election day, because after being dropped off at my school, I had to walk down a path to get to the door. The voters were being directed towards the band room, which is next to the choir room. There weren't many people there to vote when I arrived, and half of the officials running for office asked me to vote for them on my way into the school. They immediately grimaced when I went in the other door.

MBarnum: I hope you feel better!

Emily: How was your birthday?

I just recieved TWO emails from Den Mother Susan! I missed her.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2003, 03:09:11 PM »

Memories....

Michael

« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2003, 03:21:56 PM »

Good vibes

Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2003, 03:22:47 PM »

Wednesday night, Dear Wife Joy and I are performing in a benefit for Artistic New Directions at the Laurie Beechman Theatre on 42nd Street.

Let's see if I can figure out how to post a link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sweet-gang/message/1183

We'll do How Could They Have Missed from Our Wedding - The Musical and a duet I wrote about smilies and other web stuff.  Joy will do I Can Do This from Finding Joy and that alone is worth the $25
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2003, 03:22:54 PM »

So, was it election day where you folks live? We had a mayoral election as well as county commissioners and school board. I set out about 2 p.m. to do my civic duty. I was the only one voting when I got there. I have a feeling we had a small turnout.

Oh, well.  Size isn't everything!

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2003, 03:42:07 PM »

I guess our glory days iz behind us.  However, we'll still make 100 count them 100 posts and that is a good thing, oh, yes, that is a good thing.

Emily

« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2003, 03:49:08 PM »

Swishy - My birthday was ab fab!  Full of chicken and cake and new blue sweaters!  :)

Andrea - you're one post away from being able to give karma.  Get cracking my dear!

BK - re: "small" number of posts, just wait until essay writing season is over... then I (and many other Hainsies and Kimlets) will be posting up a storm!  Watch out 500 post mark! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2003, 03:58:00 PM »

But you can write your essays right here!  I didn't know this was essay season.  

Jeans, plaid shirt, sneakers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2003, 04:02:47 PM »

In fact, let's all write essays.  I'll start:

This is an essay about phlegm.  Where does phlegm come from and why must it be part of our daily lives?  The phlegm factor is very annoying - people from all over the world do not like phlegm and yet they must deal with phlegm because it is part of our daily lives.  Let those without phlegm step forward.  Be proud, phlegmless people.  Stand tall and breathe easy.  What good uses are there for phlegm.  Can one grow plants with phlegm?  Can one season their dumplings with phlegm?  Can one use phlegm to propagate?  Can phlegm cure a broken toenail?  These are the eternel questions regarding phlegm.  

Laura II

« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2003, 04:03:03 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD VIBES GALORE TO EVERYONE!!![/move]

Swishy--You had Mrs. Cratch? heeheehee I'll always remember her first rendition of "Father William." Congrats on a rockin audition! Oh, btw, I saw your boss fire someone last week. (I think it's the same guy.) I felt bad for her, but I'm glad you have the job! :)

Jerry Herman songs:
It Only Takes a Moment
Ribbons Down My Back
My Best Girl

I voted for the first time today! It was a delegate election. Oh and boy was it warm here. I really wish it would cool off and feel like fall.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2003, 04:05:28 PM »

I am waiting for some essays.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2003, 04:07:23 PM »

I don't know why, but it smells like cigarette smoke around these parts, even though we are in a non-smoking office.  It smells like cigarettes and that causes me to have allergies.  It is curious.  Perhaps I'll write an essay about it.

Michael

« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2003, 04:10:46 PM »

Mr. Jerry Herman

Mr. Jerry Herman recorded music and lyrics

and two solo albums dedicated to his songs

(This was produced by Bruce Kimmel)

and his memoirs

and the book of his lyrics
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 07:19:32 PM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

Jason

« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2003, 04:11:28 PM »

Back from work... I'm enjoying a perfectly wonderful meal of McDonald's chicken strips and catching up on everyone's loverly posts.

~~~~~Good Vibes to WFO and Joe~~~~~ I hope all of this unpleasantness ends soon and to your benefit.

Anyone have any thoughts on NetFlix? I'm considering signing up for it. Discuss....

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2003, 04:16:17 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good late afternoon/evening DRs!![/move]

I am here at work...thankfully no essays to write right now.  Although next week I have to write a paper about Thoreau.  So let me try warming up with a mock essay.

I thoroughly do not like writing about Thoreau.  I would rather sort through socks in my bureau.  I'm sure Walden is all well and good, but I would prefer not to.  See, that's from Bartelby the Scrivener.  He always preferred not to.  This American Lit class is getting to my head--I would like to be through with Thoreau.

That's my essay, BK, do you like it???  ;)

Swishy--congrats on the kick-arse audition!  I will be auditioning for JMU's musical theatre program in a few weeks, so I'm getting into that audition mentality myself.  Very nerve-wracking.

Ron--did you actually see Mack and Mabel???  If you did, I am already jealous!!  I love that score sooo much...I don't care if the book stinks.

I'm wearing jeans and my Producers t-shirt.

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2003, 04:20:26 PM »

Jason--I don't have any personal experience with Netflix although I do have friends who are quite happy with it.  At 20 bucks or so a month, how can you go wrong??

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2003, 04:25:04 PM »

Swishy's Essay on Cigarettes

A poll taken by a mass of high school students resulted in the following: 6 out of 7 students believe that smoking cigarettes is stupid. If the majority of kids today can understand this simple fact, why does this problem still plague our world? Cigarettes contain some of the most dangerous and vile things you could think of, yet thousands of packs are sold every day. Here is an in depth look at this unfortunate disease.
    Cigarettes contain some of the same ingredients used in rat poisons. Ingredients that are used to kill something. Would you drink/eat rat poison voluntarily? On average, (I hope) people don't tend to do this. But smokers might as well, for every day they consume a number of dangerous things that will one day lead to their death. Another part of a cigarette is tar. Tar is more popular for its main purpose of making roads. Would you take a bite out of the street next time you walk on it? Knowing the amount of chemicals you would be consuming, a normal answer would be no.
    A more serious issue with smoking cigarettes is the smoke factor. Cigarette smoke contains harsh chemicals that can kill a person. I, for one, am allergic to said smoke, and cannot be around it for a long period of time without breaking into fits of coughs. Secondhand smoke kills just as many people as actually smoking the cigarette does. The inhalation of these chemicals can lead to heart, lung, tongue, throat, gum, and liver diseases and cancers. Is it really worth risking your LIFE to get that dosage of nicotine?
    The FDA requires that all advertisments for nicotine products come with a label that indicates the dangers of inhaling the toxic fumes. One can only hope that someday, someone will take those small labels seriously, and will save their own life, plus the numerous others that they will encounter over the years.

For more information on the dangers of smoking cigarettes, please visit www.thetruth.com

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2003, 04:29:16 PM »

BOOYA! That took 5 minutes flat, with corrections. Mr. Richards Honors WH I class whipped me into shape. 5 essays a week? I can do that.

Jeans, maroon teeshirt with palm trees and stripes across the top, chucks.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 04:29:58 PM by SwishySarah »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2003, 04:30:57 PM »

Lovely essays, Maya and Swishy.  Maya, I saw Mack and Mabel here in LA, where it premiered at the Music Center, with Bernadette and Robert Preston.   One wanted to love it but sadly the book stank to high hell (this has always been the problem with the show) and you just didn't care about anyone in the show.  The staging by Mr. Gower Champion was inventive, as always, and the score was pleasing.  And the actors worked very hard, but if it isn't on the page it isn't on the stage, as they say.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2003, 04:32:20 PM »

MDS: I think that's a few too many images for one post - it seems to be slowing people's access time down.  If anyone is really having probs, please post and I'll remove the post and ask MDS to do a few posts with one or two images.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2003, 04:36:23 PM »

I like the essay, Sarah.

But I want to see an essay on why boys wear their pants so low that their belts -- when they wear them -- are wrapped around their butt cheeks and the seat of their pants just flop around like some sack of potatoes.  And I want to know how the boys who don't wear belts keep those pants from just falling down to their knees. And I not only want to know why they wear them that way -- as they have been doing -- copycatting each other, all -- for the past 15 years, but I want to know what girls think of this.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2003, 04:38:20 PM by Ron Pulliam »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2003, 04:44:20 PM »

Ron: That trend started in prison, when the inmates would wear their pants baggy to cover the various illegal objects they were hiding. Someone must have thought it was cool, because it's caught on. But, it has definetly died down in popularity in the past few years, although not completely. Most guys don't wear them like that, at least the cool ones. It's generally reserved for rappers and white-guy-wannabes.

Most girls think it's stupid, unoriginal, and overused. Give me cleancut anyday.

And sue JNCO for their neverending line of HUMONGOUS and ugly guys jeans.

BK: Glad you liked it.

Laura/Maya/Ron: Thanks for your kudos re- the audition! I'm actually more nervous about the results than I was about the audition!

Laura: You gave me my laugh of the day remembering Mr.s Cratch's "Father William"! She's such a nice old potato, though ;).

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2003, 05:02:35 PM »

I've never liked essays, therefore, I won't write one.  I guess it's scary just how much I am a Jerry Herman fan because out of all the images of MDS's post, I own all but one (Ben Franklin in Paris).  To be really honest, when I'm down, all it takes is just one Jerry Herman overture to lift my spirits, or one Jerry Herman ballad to actually find a reason for tears, or a Jerry Herman march to just realize how short life really is and to live it to the fullest.  I once said that I would actually weap when the world lose's Jerry.  I know that's weird, but some people just have that affect.  Just like when I listen to Karen Carpenter sing, I always wonder what she would be doing if she was still living.  Would she have done Broadway?  A National Tour of a Barry and Fran Weisler production?  Or perhaps she would be sitting down and headlining in Vegas like Celine Dion.  Perhaps the Vegas people would build her her own colessum like they did for Celine.  Or maybe she would be a big part of Jerry Herman's new "Miss Spectacular".  The fact is that Jerry is still with us and Karen is not.  Damn, time for more Jerry Herman to get out of this slump I've put myself in,   Do you know there a signature waltz and march in each Jerry Herman show?  I wonder if Karen ever recorded any Jerry Herman?  Oh my, was that sort of an essay?  

Jed

« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2003, 05:05:34 PM »

So, was it election day where you folks live? We had a mayoral election as well as county commissioners and school board. I set out about 2 p.m. to do my civic duty. I was the only one voting when I got there. I have a feeling we had a small turnout.

Indeed it is, Matt H., and I was pleasantly surprised to see a decent number of people at my polling location when I went at about 3pm.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2003, 05:13:54 PM »

Ron, I feel fine but think I shall treat myself to some Harvey’s Bristol Creme anyway.  Actually I was thinking of it on my way home, prior to reading your post.

MDS, nice tribute to Jerry Herman

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2003, 05:15:13 PM »

BK--thanks, glad you liked the really impromptu mini-essay!  Seeing Mack and Mabel with Preston and Peters still must have been quite something!  There needs to be some kind of law that shows with great scores can NOT have lousy books.  It's too tragic when that happens.

Swishy--you're welcome, dahling!  Did you really write that essay in 5 minutes?  That is pretty incredible!  Now what is this bull you've been telling us about you not being a good writer??  ;)

I do not know if boys in low pants down to their knees with their boxers hanging out, or girls with low rider jeans with their thongs sticking out, is more unattractive.

Whatever happened to class???  ::)

Danise

« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2003, 05:32:37 PM »

Evening all!  I gave a karma to MDS because even though I read the Notes, I STILL would have been in the dark regarding Mr. Herman.  

Seeing the pictures made me realize I do know some of his work.  Sorry but I'm really bad with names/faces etc.  You have to REALLY make an impression for me to remember you or you name has to be Michael.  That makes my life so much more easier.  Then all I have add is the Mr. A, Mr. B or Mr C.  I don’t know the vampire guy from Port Charles last name.  I just know he’s a Michael too.  Hey, that works for me.

Voices--especially male voices are what draw me.  I may not remember the name but you can dress him up as anything you please, have him speak ONE word and I’ll know EXACTLY who he is. Won’t be able to tell you his name but I’ll know him as (for example) G’kar the lizard man (as my Mom calls him) from B-5 or Spock’s father or what ever.

I don’t get the hanging pants either.  Saw a young man on the bus a few weeks back that had to hold them up with a hand or they would have been around his ankles.  I wanted to say there a cure for that–it’s called a BELT.  But I didn’t want to start anything.

I do, however, now  know what a bling bling is.  

Oh and I do want to share one small thing I forgot to say the other night.   I know I’ve said before how bad my sight is and how I like natural cures–herbs and such.  Well a friend of mine told me about flax seed oil and how good it is for your eyes–especially people who wear contacts.  I’m already taking bilberry (which has helped some) but thought I’d give it a go.

To make a long story short, remember when I said I was going to go get pizza but got Chinese instead?  Well, I didn’t take my reading glasses with me because I thought I wouldn’t need them.  I’ve done that before and had to have the order person read the menu to me because I can NOT see it–it’s all a blur.  Not so this time.  I’m not saying it was crystal clear but I was able to read the menu without glasses!  I can only guess the flax seed oil is working!

Does that count as an essay?  

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Emily

« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2003, 05:39:57 PM »

BK and DRs:

I'd let you read my Madly Mahdi paper - but quite frankly it bores me... and I wrote it!

I don't want all you to want to have to stab yourselves in your eyeballs out of Mahdi-induced boredom.  Believe me.  I've thought about it while procrastinating.

Have I mentioned how awful Canadian winters are?  They are almost as awful as Americans who gloat about their heat waves in November (this means YOU Laura II!!! :) )
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2003, 05:44:08 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Strongest and Most Potent Vibes to WFO and Joe!![/move]

Just a few of my most favorite Jerry Herman songs:

I Am What I Am

Kiss Her Now

Look What Happened to Mabel

More and More/Less and Less
-- from The Grand Tour (I got the CD through my library's Interlibrary Loan department and made myself a copy).  I've had this song going through my head for the last two days!  I like it so I don't really mind too much.

Song on the Sand

The Tea Party

Time Heals Everything

Wherever He Ain't
-- I love the trio arrangement by Donald Pippin from the DVD Jerry Herman's Broadway at the Hollywood Bowl sung by Florence Lacey, Lorna Luft and Karen Morrow.  I made a double CD of the audio portion of this DVD and the sound is really good.  I think that it's good enough to be released as a CD on its own!  Click on this link to see the picture of the DVD -
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6304558139.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

World Take Me Back
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up