Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPITTING DISTANCE  (Read 4729 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: SPITTING DISTANCE
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2019, 04:57:35 AM »

But I digressed, or is it "I digest?"  In Westchester and Maryland, even with all you can eat, people did not pile the food on.  In Florida, it was like the Vegas buffets, where people seemed to be taking enough for two meals.

Sounds like pile high San Antonio.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2019, 04:57:45 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2019, 05:06:24 AM »

As I mentioned, until seeing someone I/we knew in the role, it never registered that Santa got the final bow, and it seems from asking people who remember that the actor playing Santa got the final bow in NYC too. 

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2019, 05:06:54 AM »

RIP Jonathan Miller, 85

FJL

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2019, 05:08:04 AM »

Santa is a low-solo role, I guess designed so that some people with TV names and big personalities could play it in NYC.   

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2019, 05:10:23 AM »

Thanksgiving Eve greetings!  I'm having my hair cut at 9:30 and then we'll head west for our 3rd annual holiday weekend with my sister's family.

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2019, 05:15:57 AM »

But Santa a really nice reprise in act 2, that nobody cares about Santa Claus any more - and it becomes huge emotional moment where everyone in the cast rushes ion and says "we care, Santa" - which showed in this case castrecler John Archibald could really sing -

FJL

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2019, 05:17:34 AM »

but for the Broadway version, it allowed Santa to sing briefly but then the scene is ALL about believing in Santa -  like Wayne Knight (who was Newman from Seinfeld so a draw who also got press at the time, a bigger draw then that the lead elf, Sebastian Arcelus, who has since gone on to deserved TV note but was not a name then),  or another year George Wendt from Cheers.

FJL

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2019, 05:18:00 AM »

And I think Ed Asner had done the role, too IIRC.

FJL

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2019, 05:18:48 AM »

Am I making up for being E&T yet?

FJL

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2019, 05:21:14 AM »

Vixmom, I don’t know how we’re going to prepare the mushrooms, but I was asked to bring sherry.

Isn't Sherry TCB's friend who starred in "A Little Night Music" in Seattle?

FJL

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2019, 05:23:09 AM »

But I digressed, or is it "I digest?"  In Westchester and Maryland, even with all you can eat, people did not pile the food on.  In Florida, it was like the Vegas buffets, where people seemed to be taking enough for two meals.

Are there any dinner theaters in San Antonio that do new musicals? 

Wondering if "Viva Max" would go over actually in San Antonio?

FJL

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2019, 05:28:15 AM »

I do get the feeling that in this area of Florida, "dinner and a show" may be the norm.

The actors really seemed to enjoy being servers as well of the drinks and desserts and such.  (The main meal, people got from the buffet on their own.)   that also happened in Maryland, where we found too our sprite that our server was the actor playing the male lead. 

FJL

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2019, 05:32:20 AM »

It seemed when a show is a hit, the lead actor loved the interaction with the audience as himself at intermission.  And he knew he was great in the role and very happily "hawked" the dinner theater show he was doing two towns over a month later.   

Equity doesn't let actors also be servers, I think.  There was some reason at "Elf" John could not be  server.  I;m pretty sure it was because he was Equity; with his raconteur skills, he'd have had a ball kibitzing with the audience and oh, by the way, here are your drinks.  :).   

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2019, 05:33:19 AM »

Kitty cleanup finished, I'm having a bit of breakfast to take my meds and pain meds before I leave.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2019, 05:37:32 AM »

Looking at the Theater Hall of Fame lists that have just been put -  It feels like the threshold for Theater Hall of Fame honors is so sketchy that it becomes if everybody with even a slight 'name" gets honored, is it an honor any more?

John G.

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2019, 06:23:27 AM »

Are there any dinner theaters in San Antonio that do new musicals? 

Wondering if "Viva Max" would go over actually in San Antonio?

There is one dinner theater here. I have never been. Viva Max would go over here. I think there are better venues for the show.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2019, 06:31:49 AM »

Lots of wind and rain last night, but I think it went north so DR GINNY shouldn't have to worry.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2019, 06:33:33 AM »

DR VIXMOM that is a unique situation.....as DR GEORGE said....here we have to scan something and then put it in the bag...there is a weigher/scanner that keeps track.

If anything is put in the bag and not scanned there is a buzzer AND a watcher who keeps an eye on everything and everyone.

I rarely if EVER use the self checkout......something always goes wrong.....but then I use cash instead of my card, I'm a Luddite....as former DR JMK used to say.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2019, 06:34:56 AM »

I have two questions for ASK BK DAY:

1. Are you having ONE or TWO intermissions in your production...and where are you putting it [them]?

2. When timing your acts how do you account for audience response?

KevinH

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2019, 07:00:12 AM »

Good morning!

KevinH

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2019, 07:00:41 AM »

I have to do laundry and a few other things in preparation for my flight tomorrow morning.

KevinH

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2019, 07:01:16 AM »

I'll be shuffling off to Cheektowaga (that's where the Buffalo airport is).

John G.

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2019, 08:25:51 AM »

Michael Apted has a new installment in his documentary series. This is 63 Up. I’m excited beyond belief. I feel as if I’ve lived with and know these people from when they were kids at the time of 7 Up to now.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2019, 08:36:40 AM »

I am home from therapy, and despite the agony from the stretching, pulling, and walking, I am glad I got an appointment.  I will know on Tuesday if I am approved by the HMO for more sessions, and then I'll hopefully make an appointment.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2019, 08:39:45 AM »

I am debating going out for Thanksgiving or staying home.  It's such pain to move that I really do not want to be a black cloud hanging over a festive group of friends, and I really, really, really do not want everyone fretting about my comfort, etc. 

John G.

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2019, 08:49:04 AM »

I just listened to the McGuire Sisters Sing Subways Are for Sleeping. Dang, but Jule Styne could write a melody.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2019, 09:25:25 AM »

I just listened to the McGuire Sisters Sing Subways Are for Sleeping. Dang, but Jule Styne could write a melody.

I'm surprised that isn't on iTunes.  One of my mother's brothers dated one of the McGuire Sisters in high school; Phyllis, I think.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2019, 09:26:34 AM »

I did listen on Amazon to a little bit of Percy Faith's "Subways Are For Sleeping" album.  it sounds fantastic.

FJL

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2019, 09:49:30 AM »

Wiki says that the writer of the hit pop song "Don't Sleep in the Subway" said they took its title idea from "Subways are for Sleeping."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up