Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GIVING THANKS FOR THANKSGIVING  (Read 3600 times)

ChasSmith

Re: GIVING THANKS FOR THANKSGIVING
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2019, 06:22:54 AM »

That's a great story, DR Jrand69.

Holy moley. You gotta wonder about.....well, people.

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2019, 06:28:21 AM »

Richard and I are having a quiet morning at the hotel and we’ll head over to Laura’s after the parade.  The feast is at 4pm.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2019, 06:33:19 AM »

Not a Thanksgiving memory, actually a Christmas/New Year's one, but one of the local theaters I've done a lot at (and where our Wreck the Halls is being mounted) did The Man Who Came to Dinner some ten or more years ago for their holiday show. It was directed and acted by the cream of our regional crop, and if it wasn't for the fact of BK's production about to be going up, I would be saying that if I never saw another TMWCTD, I would live happily with my memories of that one. It was, for my taste, perfection -- beautifully period, uncut and unaltered (maybe just a judicious trim here and there like the kind BK is talking about), and it was one of my all time memorable hilarious evenings. I wish I could step right back in to it right now.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2019, 06:37:49 AM »

TOD - there have, of course, been many wonderful traditional Thanksgivings with family and friends, but my most unique year was 1977.  My friend Rebecca and l, both still single, flew to NYC early Wednesday morning and stayed until Sunday evening.  We went to the Macy’s parade and had Thanksgiving dinner at Mamma Leone’s.  Over the 5 days we saw a movie/stage show at Radio City and on Broadway:

I Love My Wife
Side by Side by Sondheim
A Chorus Line
For Colored Girls...
The Wiz
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2019, 06:52:18 AM »

DR Ginny, that sounds like the quintessentially perfect holiday trip to NYC.

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2019, 06:53:29 AM »

Today will be memorable, if for no other reason than it will be different. But it should also be excellent and a lot of fun. For years we've done Thanksgiving right here at the house, always with a couple of Kristi's relatives and a couple of nearby friends in attendance, and if I say so myself we've gotten really damned good at it. We each developed our specialty dishes and never minded the time it took to plan it and do it well. In the past few years the older relatives just weren't able to make the trek from the New Haven area, and a couple of the other regulars no longer live in the area and one good friend, in fact, died shockingly and unexpectedly at a young age just a year ago. So this year, what with me mired in a show and the other two busier than usual with other activities, we knew there was no way in HELL we could pull off doing it in our usual fashion. So we're eating dinner out, at the Fife and Drum in Kent, Connecticut, which I shamefully haven't been to in all these years, and it should be a wholly appropriate and lovely setting.

https://fifendrum.com/

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2019, 07:10:38 AM »

LOL regarding the knives Tom.

Jane

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2019, 07:11:14 AM »

Oh my, DR TCB the wind must have been very loud.

Jane

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2019, 07:13:22 AM »

George I never had much success with water in the oven with the cake and just tolerate cracks in the cake.

My sour cream topping is added during the baking  process. 

Jane

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2019, 07:14:20 AM »

The cats kindly let me sleep until 6:45, and it was another relatively good night of sleep compared to most of those in the past months.

Yay 😊

Jane

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2019, 07:16:02 AM »

I’m very thankful for all of you.

💖 

Jane

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2019, 07:16:32 AM »

I am also thankful for everyone here.

Jane

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2019, 07:18:19 AM »

I will have to think about the TOD....nothing is coming to me.

BUT - I will tell MY story about back when I was directing THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER in 1986.

As MR BK has written, at the end of Act Two, THE MAN is doing a radio show that includes a boys choir - that just adds to the hilarious chaos.

We had six boys who were doing a fine job.  One evening after notes, I asked if anyone had any questions.  One of the boys raised his hand and I called on him.  He said: "I won't be able to do the show because we are going on vacation that week."

I said:  "Uh....okay. Well then you don't have to come to any more rehearsals."

And he said: "Oh, I can come to all the rehearsals, I just can't do the show."

And I said:  "That's okay.  You don't have to come to anymore rehearsals.  If your mom has any questions, have her call me."

I think he still came to a couple of rehearsals before he disappeared.

That is funny.  I guess he was enjoying the rehearsals.

ChasSmith

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2019, 07:18:36 AM »

We had a lot of wind here, too, last night, and it'll be continuing through the day.

I am no longer a fan of strong winds!

Jane

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2019, 07:21:56 AM »

Today will be memorable, if for no other reason than it will be different. But it should also be excellent and a lot of fun. For years we've done Thanksgiving right here at the house, always with a couple of Kristi's relatives and a couple of nearby friends in attendance, and if I say so myself we've gotten really damned good at it. We each developed our specialty dishes and never minded the time it took to plan it and do it well. In the past few years the older relatives just weren't able to make the trek from the New Haven area, and a couple of the other regulars no longer live in the area and one good friend, in fact, died shockingly and unexpectedly at a young age just a year ago. So this year, what with me mired in a show and the other two busier than usual with other activities, we knew there was no way in HELL we could pull off doing it in our usual fashion. So we're eating dinner out, at the Fife and Drum in Kent, Connecticut, which I shamefully haven't been to in all these years, and it should be a wholly appropriate and lovely setting.

It looks very nice.  Enjoy your dinner.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2019, 07:29:06 AM »

Good birthday catch George.

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2019, 08:06:38 AM »

Perfect!

ChasSmith

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2019, 08:26:42 AM »

Big outage happening on Facebook right now, at least in the Northeast.

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2019, 08:28:24 AM »

Big outage happening on Facebook right now, at least in the Northeast.

It’s a little glitchey here in Illinois, too.

ChasSmith

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2019, 08:33:23 AM »

Listening to the Percy Faith rendition of "Ride Through the Night" that I think DR Elmore posted of yesterday or the day before. This is fabulous. I need that album.

ChasSmith

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2019, 08:48:35 AM »

Let’s hope this place makes a decent Manhattan. :)

And with that, I’m outta here. Happy T-Day, everyone.

Jane

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2019, 09:17:31 AM »

DR youngreps,

Jane

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2019, 09:18:38 AM »

Let’s hope this place makes a decent Manhattan. :)

And with that, I’m outta here. Happy T-Day, everyone.

Rye?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2019, 10:08:30 AM »

That Thanksgiving special looks awfully good.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2019, 10:14:15 AM »

I have made it safely to San Angelo. No rain on the road.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

FJL

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2019, 10:36:48 AM »

Yesterday, I showed Gurjeet the HMO's denial of further therapy and the doctor's comment about my pain level being around a 3, which I claim is generally a 7 or 8.  He said it was probably because his reports always include progress; he can't say one week I'm doing well and the next week that I cannot stand upright because the evaluating doctor will then determine the therapy is doing me no good at all.  I will call on Tuesday to see if I'm approved for more sessions.

That's a catch-22.  If the physical therapy is not helping, then it might get stopped because it's not helping. That part makes sense.  But -  If the physical therapy is helping in any measurable way, then the evaluator  can say you don't need it anymore because your pain level no longer warrants it???

Yikes!!!

FJL

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2019, 10:52:09 AM »

I will have to think about the TOD....nothing is coming to me.

BUT - I will tell MY story about back when I was directing THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER in 1986.

As MR BK has written, at the end of Act Two, THE MAN is doing a radio show that includes a boys choir - that just adds to the hilarious chaos.

We had six boys who were doing a fine job.  One evening after notes, I asked if anyone had any questions.  One of the boys raised his hand and I called on him.  He said: "I won't be able to do the show because we are going on vacation that week."

I said:  "Uh....okay. Well then you don't have to come to any more rehearsals."

And he said: "Oh, I can come to all the rehearsals, I just can't do the show."

And I said:  "That's okay.  You don't have to come to anymore rehearsals.  If your mom has any questions, have her call me."

I think he still came to a couple of rehearsals before he disappeared.

That's as good as this Marx Brothers scene from "Animal Crackers."
(book by George S. Kaufman and Morrie Ryskind.)

Captain Spaulding: What do you fellows get an hour?

Ravelli: Oh, for playing we getta ten dollars an hour.

Spaulding: I see...What do you get for not playing?

Ravelli: Twelve dollars an hour.

Spaulding: Well, clip me off a piece of that.

Ravelli: Now, for rehearsing we make special rate. Thatsa fifteen dollars an hour.

Spaulding: That's for rehearsing?

Ravelli: Thatsa for rehearsing.

Spaulding: And what do you get for not rehearsing?

Ravelli: You couldn't afford it
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:57:28 AM by FJL »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2019, 11:30:43 AM »

I will step out around 2:45, so I've fed the cats.  When I get home I will give them their nightly treat.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2019, 12:38:55 PM »

I have made it safely to San Angelo. No rain on the road.

Excellent.

Jane

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2019, 12:40:32 PM »

I will step out around 2:45, so I've fed the cats.  When I get home I will give them their nightly treat.

Enjoy your gathering with friends.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up