Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: PULLING TEETH  (Read 15749 times)

Danise

Re:PULLING TEETH
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2005, 08:16:44 AM »

When I minimize my HHW screen at work today, the little box at the bottom of my computer screen says Pulling Teet.

I think that is rather unseemly.

Work?  What is "Work"?  Sounds like a four letter word to me! (At least for this week.)   ;) :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2005, 08:27:22 AM »

I can't ever like Renata Adler. She loathed THE LION IN WINTER, and since I loved it, she and I can never see eye-to-eye. Fortunately, after a year, the Times realized her tastes were a bit too eccentric and she was let go.

Many folks here will remember Judith Crist as a movie reviewer for TV Guide in the 1970s-80s.  But Crist had a previous life as one of NYC's most powerful critics at the NY Herald-Tribune.  She was right up there with Bosley Crowther of the NY Times and a few others at one time as a critic to be won over.  But...in 1965, she disliked "The Sound of Music."  Not only did she dislike it, but she was snide about it.  And the readership was not amused.  The Herald-Tribune fired her because of her review rather than lose thousands of subscribers.

It didn't help that "The Sound of Music" was an instant phenomenon at the box office and quickly joined a rarefied group of films that ends up on most people's "favorites" lists.

Ahhh...the art of critiquing is fraught with peril....
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 08:38:36 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2005, 08:32:18 AM »

Good Morning!

Yeah!  The skies have cleared up for now in the Big Apple.  And I'm thinking I may go out and explore this neighborhood, Washington Heights, since it may be "my" neighborhood soon.  -I've walked around here a lot at night, but not during the daytime yet.  -And Greunebaum's Bakery a few blocks up is supposed to be very good.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2005, 08:37:19 AM »

Most common recurring dream:

I'm in college, I'm getting ready to wrap up a school year and suddenly remember that I have a final exam in a class I attended at the start of semester and then forgot about.  I know that if I can make the exam, I can still salvage some credits as long as I pass.  The only trouble is, I cannot remember where the class is...only the building...and it's full of hallways and dour-looking professors standing at doors looking at me oddly as I, alone in the hallway, walk past their rooms looking for a familiar face.

Have had this dream infrequently over the past 10 years, but at least twice.  Before, I'd have it at least once a year.

Two weirdest dreams:

I was in the Navy, but dreamed I was back in college.  It was snowing.  And the U.S. and USSR had exchanged missile strikes.  I was among my classmates being herded into a basement, but I remember looking out a door window and watching the snow...and wondering if I'd ever see my parents again...and worrying whether they were safe.

Another one I dreamed only once, but it was a powerful dream.  It was in the early 1980s.  I was back in my "hometown" and living with my parents in a house we had circa 1959-61.  My guess is that it had to be "that" house for my dream because a huge picture window with a view of the night sky was essential to the dream as it played out and that's the only house we had lived in that fit the bill.  At any rate, an alert had been issued over TV that the U.S. was sending out the air force to investigate unauthorized traffic over U.S. air space.  We were told to turn out our lights.  It was a blackout, essentially.  My parents were sitting by the fireplace telling me not to worry, but I was watching the skies...seeing stars...and suddenly I saw the stars move.  They moved and formed a shape....moved again and formed another shape....and I realized that whatever was up there was visible and forming the shapes of well-known star clusters -- the Big Dipper, Orion, Cassiopeia, etc.

It was a visitation from aliens!

And then I woke up.  It was vivid, that dream.  And I thank Steven Spielberg for it!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 08:39:48 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2005, 08:38:18 AM »

Jose's movin' to my hood!
Hmmm...this might be a nice time to invest in restaurants and bakeries in Washington Heights...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2005, 08:39:12 AM »

TOD -

When I was about nine years old, I had this recurring nightmare over the period of about two weeks.  I was basically falling continuously down this hole/well/tunnel.  It all happened in a sort of slow motion, but I remember feeling like it was never going to stop - the I was going to keep falling and falling.  At the same, I was sort of spinning and the "wall" around me twisted like a cyclone.  And the wall seemed to be made up of a bunch of the black marble-covered composition books. ???

I would wake up breathless, nauseous and dizzy.  It went on for a series of days, and then it just stopped.  It was so bad and so vivid to me, that there were a few nights I did not want to go to bed.  That I did not want to close my eyes even, since when I closed my eyes, it would start right back up again with just me thinking about it.  Dreading it.

I have to wonder now, if maybe I had come down with some sort of ear infection at the time.  Or some other physical/medical condition that was making me dizzy.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 09:02:48 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2005, 08:41:14 AM »

DRJOSE - two tickets please for the Sunday Matinee of MAMMA MIA!  I am assuming we can use MasterCard.  Do we get them at the will call window?

Email to follow with name and phone number.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2005, 08:41:39 AM »

Jose's movin' to my hood!
Hmmm...this might be a nice time to invest in restaurants and bakeries in Washington Heights...

Or at least time for the restaurants and bakeries in Washington Heights to start getting their act together!

;)

And, yes, I am a Zagat voter.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 08:42:25 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2005, 08:43:55 AM »

DR JRand - I believe Clowes Hall takes all the cards.

*Remember, the matinee is at 1:00 on Sunday.  -The evening show that night is at 6:30.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2005, 08:44:27 AM »

DR JOSE - too much sugar?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2005, 08:45:04 AM »

Oh that's right 1 pm on Sunday.  That's even better!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2005, 08:47:05 AM »

Site of the April Indianapolis HHW gathering!  ;D

« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 08:47:19 AM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2005, 08:47:50 AM »

I love dreams about space and stars, DR RLP.

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2005, 08:49:11 AM »

One of my most disturbing recurring dreams which I still have is that it turned out that I actually did not graduate from high school....so I have to return and take a science or math class (the classes that I hated the most, and that were the most difficult for me).

One that I used to have, but haven't in many years, is where I am walking (usually in high school) but can't seem to actually move...my feet are like lead and I can barely move them...or something like that.

And then there was one where the zombies from the original Night of the Living Dead were chasing me, and others (sometimes the other people with me were friends or family...sometimes just generic townspeople). These dreams would scare the heck out of me, but thankfully I stopped having them some years back.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2005, 08:51:46 AM »

I also used to get a "Recital Nightmare" - which I think I've mentioned before, but for those DRs to whom this may be "New To You!"...

I walk out on a stage.  The hall is packed.  The audience is waiting.  I sit down at the piano.  I start my first piece.

All I hear is one note.  ONE NOTE.  -Middle C.  -Even though I'm playing with all my fingers, and on different keys.

Someone has tuned each note on the piano to the same pitch!

I just start playing by rote, by feel.  And all I'm hearing is the same pitch over and over again.

I finish the piece.  And the audience breaks into thunderous applause.  A standing ovation.  I take a very tentative bow, and start to walk off the stage...

And that's when I wake up.  -And run to my piano to make sure no one has tuned all the keys to the same pitch!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2005, 08:54:34 AM »

And now of course, we realize that we will all have nightmares tonight!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2005, 08:54:46 AM »

Maybe each other's nightmares!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2005, 08:55:09 AM »

One that I used to have, but haven't in many years, is where I am walking (usually in high school) but can't seem to actually move...my feet are like lead and I can barely move them...or something like that.

OOohh...  I used to get those ones too.  Still do every now and then.  Kind of like a "Night Fright".  I'll just wake up, and sense "something bad".   I try to move my body, but nothing moves.  My arms and legs feel very heavy.  Of course, then I start to feel even more afraid since I can't get away from that "unknown".

Very oogie.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 09:00:52 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2005, 08:59:39 AM »

I wouldn't mind some of that Southern Fried Chicken again--that was good!  Just sorry yours was cold inside, Rodzinski.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2005, 09:00:07 AM »

I've never had the "I'm sorry you missed one class.  You cannot graduate high school/college" nightmare.  But I have ones where I thought I've either slept through a performance, or just forgot about it and did something else.

This usually happens when I'm working a show at Arena Stage in DC since their schedules are always soooooo weird.  Matinee this Sunday, but not the next one.  A Noon Matinee on Tuesday, but no Tuesday night show.  Thursday night off in the middle of the run for no apparent reason.  "Where's my calendar?"
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2005, 09:09:28 AM »

LOL! DR Jose, at first I misread your post as saying: your "rectal nightmare".....!! :o

I have had many nightmares where I am in a play and have not learned my lines, or am given my lines just minutes before the curtain opens on opening night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2005, 09:11:02 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  What a swell night's sleep I had, and no Floor Men or Wall Men a knockin' at my door.

Re Astaire's feet in Finian's.  Coppola spends a lot of time talking about it and his regrets that he didn't keep him full frame all of the time.  However, there really aren't all that many cut-ins to him, and when there are the camera is usually dollying back to reveal him full frame.

Every time Fred's feet get too close to the bottom of the frame, Coppola says, "Oh, that's making me nervous."  But his feet never go out of frame.  Adler's comment about the mis-framing the night she saw it is spot on.  When it was decided the film would be roadshow (it wasn't originally planned that way - it was a very modestly budgeted film), they blew the film up to 70mm for its initial engagements, thereby losing four or five percent of the top and bottom of the Panavision image.  Hence, Mr. Astaire's feet were frequently out of frame.  Coppola is thrilled that they're visible in this correctly-presented 2:35 framing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2005, 09:12:06 AM »

BAMBOOZLE!

Nightmares are one thing, but I'm talking about worst nightmares in terms of reality - FEARS, things you DREAD that might happen in real life.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2005, 09:12:09 AM »

And my other "nightmare" is that something serious has happened to my hands/fingers.  I don't think I've ever had an dream/nightmare about that, but it's something that does cross my mind every now and then when I hear about "it" happening to someone else.  Gives me the shivers, literally.

OH!...

One of the phone calls I got over the past few days was from Ford's Theatre.  The keyboard player they hired for BIG RIVER has had to drop out of the show for a few weeks.  One of his pinkies started to turn white during rehearsal one day.  And then the next day it started to turn black.  It was a major circulation issue.  He was eventually admitted to the hospital for a few days.  And at one point during the whole "process", "amputation" was brought up as an option for treatment.

I can't imagine... I don't want to imagine that...

In any case...

He got out of the hospital this past Monday, and is home resting for a few weeks.  He's gonna try to start back up with the show in two weeks.  However, if he does not get the go ahead from his doctor, then it looks like I will be stepping into the show.  -Right after I get back from MAMMA MIA! !!!  -And then I'd be going right back into MAMMA MIA! once it heads back to Richmond - then back up to DC.  So...

I'm just glad to know he's doing better.  And this is one time, I hope I do NOT get the gig.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2005, 09:14:50 AM »

BAMBOOZLE!!!

-As for chat - this coming Sunday and Monday will be travel days for me.  However, something later Monday could possibly work.  Just depends on flights and time zones.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2005, 09:15:38 AM »

BAMBOOZLE!

Nightmares are one thing, but I'm talking about worst nightmares in terms of reality - FEARS, things you DREAD that might happen in real life.

That a family member or friend will die or be seriously injured.

Having an celebrity interview go awry.

That Bollywood movies will no longer be available in the United States.

That I would lose my job because I spend too much time posting on HHW.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2005, 09:16:52 AM »

OK - Time for me to stretch my legs for a bit...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2005, 09:18:45 AM »

I'd be sorry in one way that you didn't get the gig, DR Jose, but I also hope that you don't.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2005, 09:19:21 AM »

Oh, a chat would be fun! It has been way too long since the last one! Sunday or Monday works for me...just make sure it isn't during Elmore3003's viewing of Desp. Housewives at 9pm ET!!

DRs Vixmom, Rodzinski, and Ginny, I think, have never experienced an HHW chat before! Please join us as they are always a lot of fun...although, the chats do seem to break up rather quickly if BK leaves the room to enjoy some soup! :-\

Danise

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2005, 09:21:33 AM »

My fear is that my Mom passes, I get into a bad accident and when they ask who should they call, there is no one.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up