Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: PULLING TEETH  (Read 15751 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PULLING TEETH
« on: March 24, 2005, 12:00:25 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, reading the notes was like pulling teeth, and now it is time for you to post until the toothless cows come home.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 11:58:49 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PULLING TEETH
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 12:01:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: BAMBOOZLE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 12:13:08 AM »

It's the ATTACK OF THE WUSSBURGERS.  

I suppose I'll just toddle off to the bedroom environment then.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 12:13:38 AM »

But, before I go, might I just say - BAMBOOZLE!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 12:15:39 AM »

BAMBOOZLE?  This doesn't have anything to do with the Spike Lee movie "Bamboozled," does it?  Nah...I didn't think so. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 12:22:15 AM »

I'll have to think about the Topic of the Day.  I've never thought about what my worst nightmare or fear would be.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 12:22:35 AM »

So now I am going to go to bed.  Good night!

Michael

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 04:04:47 AM »

When I was a kid I had a dream that would happen once a year (for four years) and had a "special guest star" playing the same role. Basically it took place in a small European town with a big church. The church had these two huge front doors. The church was rigged to blow up at 12:00 o'clock. It was up to me and the "hero" to convince everyone to leave. We were successful and we watch the two huge doors close and the church blew up and I would wake up. The special guest stars included Simon Templar (The Saint), Maxwell Smart, James Bond and someone else I no longer remember.
Never stop dreaming.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 04:52:07 AM »

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 05:10:57 AM »

Wow, so few posts!

DR Jane, btw, I of course did not watch Stuart Little (only the 4 yr old did). :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 06:45:25 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've slept quite late, and now I've got to tidy up the apartment before attacking the NYPL Theatre Collection.

More later.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 07:07:56 AM »

The internet is somewhat working today, but I have my laptop plugged directly into the modem and it is still being as slow as anything.  I'll probably be calling Comcast in a few minutes and see what they say. This is the second time since August that we've had troubles, but a call to Comcast gets it fixed immediately most of the time.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 07:09:56 AM by Joey »
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 07:09:58 AM »

Good luck with Comcast, DRJOEY!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 07:12:00 AM »

I think the famous Perfesser Harold Hill was a master of the Bamboozle right down to the last wave to the brakeman on the last train out of town.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2005, 07:13:19 AM »

I have always been afraid of being sick and not having a way to the doctor or having any medicine.

My scariest nightmares have always been about falling or especially being in a car or truck going over a bridge that collapsed into the water....yikes!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 07:13:55 AM »

Peggy is a gadabout!

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 07:25:42 AM »

I need to ask a quick question.  Is the Indy gathering going to be for the Saturday Matinee or the Sunday matinee? (I am thinking Saturday.) I am double checking because I may need to ask to leave something early here at school so I can make it down.

Danise

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 07:31:17 AM »

Good morning, all!   I’m sitting here enjoying my 2nd cup of tea (courtesy of DR Rodzinski)  along with the last of the cookies that were left on my bed at the hotel every night.  I’m trying the “Prince of Wales” type of tea and it is very, very good.   Thank you!  I love tea.  

Yesterday was  a “lost” day.  I think I slept most of it away and went to bed almost as soon as I posted the pictures last night only to sleep the whole night away as well.  I think I finely feel rested.  

I wanted to say how much I enjoyed your show, DR Penny.  I’m sorry that I didn’t see Jose’s post about wanting pictures at the theater—I had my camera with me and would have taken them for you.  

I guess the Unicorn does have a bit of an “Alf” look to him.  But he sure is neat looking considering he was just made of flowers.

Did I tell you that I got to see “Chitty”?  They had it in Macy’s and I took pictures from every angle.  I was going to enter the contest they had to win a free pair of tickets for the show but since I wouldn’t be in NY to claim them (if I had won) I didn’t enter.  

There sure are a lot of cute dogs in NYC.  I snapped several pictures of them and will share them over the next few days.

I’m so glad one of the puppies have found a home.  To be honest, I’m a bit worried that the lady couldn’t afford to take the puppy to the vet—puppies need all of their first shots and Heart worm meds every month.  I hope she understands that a puppy is a responsibility, just like a kid, and you don’t dump it the first time it gets sick.  

I received the sheet music to “Don Juan Triumphant” from the composer, Misha Segal.  If you don’t mind, DR Jose, I would like to send you a copy so you could play/record it for me.  If anyone else would like to see it, just let me know.  

TOD, I’ll have to think on it.  I’ve had several bad dreams that came true and a few that just plain scared the heck out of me that I pray never come true.

I have to unpack and wash my clothes from NY today.  Sigh.  Was it only a week ago that I was packing my clothes to go?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 07:33:06 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 07:34:07 AM »

I, too, saw FINIAN'S RAINBOW in the theatre in its original roadshow form.  Still have the souvenir booklet.  My biggest problem with it is all too often Coppola breaks what had been a long-standing edict of Astaire's and does not always shoot him full-figure when he is dancing.  

I happen to agree with Mr. Astaire and think there is nothing more pointless than a waist-high shot of a dancer.  If you can't see their feet what's the point?  In fact, if you can't see the entire body in movement what's the point?  Cutting off intricate choreography for close-ups and medium shots is like watching widescreen in pan-and-scan.  You're not seeing it as intended.

Of course, the big question about FINIAN'S RAINBOW...What the Hell ever happened to Don Francks?  No one came on the scene or disappeared faster...

Though I haven't seen it in a long time, I remember liking BLOOD ON THE MOON a lot, thinking it a moody little western.  And I love the title.  I need another viewing to see how it stacks up with those other noir westerns PURSUED and, for my money, the best noir western, RAMROD, with Joel McCrea, Veronica Lake, and Don DeFore giving the best performance of his life.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 07:39:16 AM »

Adored Don Francks and Petula Clark's "Old Devil Moon," to me the most romantic musical number ever shot. I, too, still have the souvenir book from FINIAN'S RAINBOW and loved it when I first saw it. I haven't watched the DVD yet. I remembered it being long, so I was waiting to find a complete afternoon or evening to give to it. Perhaps Saturday at some point.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 07:41:41 AM »

I had "The Teacher's Nightmare" quite a few times in my life, even after I retired from the classroom:

having a roomful of students I could not get under control and thus felt helpless.

Fortunately for me during my 30 year career, it never happened a single time, but that didn't stop me from having that dream and I find it odd I still have it occasionally even though I have no intention of ever stepping back into a classroom.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2005, 07:42:48 AM »

DRJOEY I think we decided on Sunday matinee.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2005, 07:43:20 AM »

Yesterday, I got the Shirley Jones-Jack Cassidy BRIGADOON on CD, and I've been really enjoying it.

Susan Johnson's "The Love of My Life" is my single favorite track from a musical ever recorded, I think.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2005, 07:44:15 AM »

I had the soundtrack LP for "Finian's Rainbow" for a long time before I ever saw the movie.  I loved it and played it many, many times.

I was a bit disappointed in the movie just because I thought Hermes Pan did a terrible job with the dances.  I had already done them in my head, and he didn't come close!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2005, 07:46:33 AM »

DR CP I think it was Renata Adler's review of FINIAN'S RAINBOW that said any dance shot the only features half of Fred Astaire isn't doing the dance justice.  She thought that there was something wrong with the framing the night she saw it, because so many of the shots cut Fred off at the ankles.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2005, 07:57:15 AM »

I can't ever like Renata Adler. She loathed THE LION IN WINTER, and since I loved it, she and I can never see eye-to-eye. Fortunately, after a year, the Times realized her tastes were a bit too eccentric and she was let go.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2005, 08:06:44 AM »

DRJOEY I think we decided on Sunday matinee.

Thanks for the info. That works out much better for me.  :D I am off to class. Have a great afternoon everyone.  :)

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2005, 08:06:53 AM »

When I minimize my HHW screen at work today, the little box at the bottom of my computer screen says Pulling Teet.

I think that is rather unseemly.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2005, 08:10:33 AM »

Re:  Don Francks.  Well we flop musical fanatics know he was the star of one of the biggest flopperoos of all time, Kelly (so it's kind of a miracle he had a career at all after that).  I haven't checked but I want to say he did some tv (maybe even a series) after Finian.

TOD:  I had a recurring nightmare for several months when I was a kid.  My parents had built a new house in SLC that wasn't quite ready until right before Christmas that year, so they decided to keep me in my old school until after Christmas break.  So for several weeks my Mom would have to drive me the 10 miles or so from our new house to my old school, and then of course pick me up in the afternoon.  Well my nightmare was that I forgot she was picking me up and started walking to our old house.  I would get about 3/4 of the way there and remember she was picking me up and I would run back to the school (it was quite a ways even from our old house, but we would walk--probably a mile or two).  Anyway, I would get to school just to see Mom pulling away from the school in our old station wagon.  I would yell after her, but she couldn't hear and drove away.  So I would start the LOOOOONG walk to our new house, which meant I had to get on the freeway.  The last "shot" of my nightmare (I have very cinematic dreams, LOL) was kind of a copy of some old album cover one of my sisters used to have.  I want to say it was a Tony Bennett album, but it may have been Mathis or even Yarborough.  The album cover (I think the album was called "Streets I Have Walked") was an overhead shot of the singer (whoever it was) walking away with his coat slung over his shoulder.

Freudian analysis welcome, but only if it's free.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2005, 08:14:36 AM »

Some supposedly well-known L.A. television "personality" has been emailing me about Frances.  He is purchasing hundreds of dollars of photos of Frances from me for his girlfriend's office.  Next time I'm in L.A., I think I need to visit her.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up