Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ABOUT-TO-BE BEAUTIFUL SATURDAY  (Read 22536 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:THE ABOUT-TO-BE BEAUTIFUL SATURDAY
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2005, 01:45:18 PM »

You left out the street Bryan lives on, Lovejoy.

Where is the Lloyd District?

Yes, Lovejoy.  Like I said, my list was only what came to me at that moment.  There are others, I know.

The Lloyd District is over by Lloyd Center and the State Office buildings in close-in NE, a little north and east of the Convention Center and Rose Quarter.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jed

« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2005, 01:47:13 PM »

Doesn't bother me now. When I was working and had to get up long before sun up to get ready to go to work, it was another hour of darkness after being used to being able to drive to work in the light. Then, for another month, it was back to driving in darkness again, and my body just had major adjustment problems. Can't explain why it did, but it did.

Ahh yes, the dark commute... that I can understand.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2005, 01:50:02 PM »

Now wait just a darned minute - daylight savings time TOMORROW???

Why is everything getting earlier and earlier?  The Oscars, something else I can't remember that we spoke of recently, and now daylight savings time a good two weeks before the usual switch.  Who decides these things?  Why don't they just move it into February along with the Oscars.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2005, 01:50:19 PM »

I find that keyboard disaster stories make for interesting reading. ;D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2005, 01:54:09 PM »

Now wait just a darned minute - daylight savings time TOMORROW???

Why is everything getting earlier and earlier?  The Oscars, something else I can't remember that we spoke of recently, and now daylight savings time a good two weeks before the usual switch.  Who decides these things?  Why don't they just move it into February along with the Oscars.

Sorry to be a pedant but DST has always begun on the first Sunday in April.  Sometimes that's as late as April 6, and sometimes as early as April 1.  Here's some info with a chart for the last several years:

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/daylight1.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 01:55:25 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2005, 02:00:16 PM »

Of course the Lloyd District is by the Lloyd Center.  ::)  No wonder I need help getting around the city. ;D

Jane

« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2005, 02:16:43 PM »

SWW we remember THE POINT. ;D  Keith remembers a singer narrating.  With a little research I came up with Harry Nilsson (at the moment I can't ask Keith if that was the singer).  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2005, 02:28:19 PM »

My memory is that it was always later in April, but maybe that's just what it used to be long ago.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2005, 02:28:43 PM »

Nilsson certainly wrote the songs for The Point.

Jed

« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2005, 02:51:42 PM »

My memory is that it was always later in April, but maybe that's just what it used to be long ago.

Quite right, BK.  Daylight Saving (singular, not plural) Time used to begin on the last Sunday in April, but was moved to the first Sunday in April in 1986.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2005, 03:07:45 PM »

Quite right, BK.  Daylight Saving (singular, not plural) Time used to begin on the last Sunday in April, but was moved to the first Sunday in April in 1986.

And it ends at the end of October...which means that there are seven months of Daylight Saving Time and only five months of "regular" time!  Is that legal?? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2005, 03:19:48 PM »

Vixmom and others-
You will be glad to know that those "Stella Awards" are an internet hoax that has been circulating for years. I just found this out recently.
http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/lawsuits.html

damn damn damn

And I just finished spilling hot coffee on myself while tripping over my daughter as I was breaking into a furniture store in pursuit of a big payday... all in vain, all in vain!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2005, 03:23:49 PM »

damn damn damn

And I just finished spilling hot coffee on myself while tripping over my daughter as I was breaking into a furniture store in pursuit of a big payday... all in vain, all in vain!!!

Ha! Well, you need to find out where the email chain began and sue that person for your troubles!

vixmom

« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2005, 03:26:35 PM »

Ha! Well, you need to find out where the email chain began and sue that person for your troubles!

Well as far as I am concerned it began with my dear brother Bob, I hope he has a bad lawyer!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 03:27:07 PM by vixmom »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2005, 03:28:25 PM »

Hey ALIAS fans! Nobody told me Cliff DeYoung was on a recent episode. The Gal's catching up on her viewing and... oh, never mind, as long as it took me to type this, he has already been killed.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2005, 03:29:25 PM »

I find that keyboard disaster stories make for interesting reading. ;D

Well, hopefully, I won't have any more interesting reading for you.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2005, 03:32:06 PM »

Jose I hope so too. ;D

vixmom

« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2005, 03:33:03 PM »

Miserable rainy day here.  The Vixter has been embroidering flowers on her Nicaraguan doll, which she  had to make for her Spanish class, most of the day

She just announce that for her Science project she has to make  a video on recycling.  Am I completely crazy in thinking these teachers are way out of line?  When I was a kid we showed up with a notebook, a looseleaf binder and some pencils and pens   I don't remember ever receiving any assignments which required my mother driving me all over creation (good thing too because she didn't drive) and paying pfr hundreds of dollars of supplies

Why can't these teachers just %^^&(!!**@# TEACH!!!?

End of Rant

vixmom

« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2005, 03:34:59 PM »

Well I am off again. DH is planning on doing the taxes so I don't expect to get near the keyboard for the rest of the weekend

!!!GOOD KEYBOARD VIBES!!!!

to Jose

vixmom

« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2005, 03:35:44 PM »

~~~VIBES ~~~~

to JRand hoping that you "got he job"

vixmom

« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2005, 03:36:13 PM »

Love and Kisses to all!!! BYEEEEEEEEEEEE!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2005, 03:36:41 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Good matinee, and Chris had a wonderful conducting debut too!  DRs Ginny, JRand, and Joey - I believe Chris will be conducting the matinees in Indy next week.

I had a few very minor brain farts/finger slips, but it's all starting to "live" in my fingers.  I can start breathing now.

:)

It was actually a bit chilly in the pit today, and sometimes getting a number started took a little effort since my - and everyone else's - fingers were cold.  I may stop at the Walgreen's on the way in for tonight's show and see if I can pick up a pack of those hand warmers that campers use.  I think I saw them the other day.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2005, 03:40:19 PM »

Lloyd?  Did someone say Lloyd?   Must NOT have been Andrew Lloyd Webber if it is at HHW!!!  LOL.... sorry, I crack myself up.  

Glad to hear your matinee went well, DR Jose.  We do love keyboard stories, though :)  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2005, 03:47:21 PM »

Regarding the passing of Pope John Paul II...

I remember being in sixth grade when Pope John Paul II was elected Pope - and that was right after the very short "reign" of Pope John Paul I.  Growing up Catholic, and going to Catholic schools, Pope John Paull II (or eye-eye as some of my sixth grade classmates would "accidentally" call him) is/was definitely a part of my upbringing.  I even think I went to one of his services when he came to DC.  Maybe not - very vague memories from back then.  In any case...

On a slightly critical note...  I was truly not sure how to react to the Papal Death Watch last night on CNN, MSNBC, FoxNews, etc.  And when they would bring in medical experts...  Hmm...  Just weird - and not in a good sense.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2005, 03:50:06 PM »

I headed over to the Peabody after the matinee hoping to catch the 5:00 March of the Ducks, but...  As soon as I opened the doors to lobby, I could hear that there was a pretty big crowd already assembled, and when I turned the corner, sure enough, the crowd was already about five to six people deep.  So, I just kept on walking through the lobby... and back out onto the street.

Maybe tomorrow morning...
Make Your Own Luck.

François de Paris

« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2005, 03:54:16 PM »

Happy birthday Miss Doris Day!

(Paris, France; 1:57 am April 3)

François de Paris

« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2005, 03:58:09 PM »

They have the same dull... I mean... duck celebration at the Orlando Peabody Hotel on International Drive!

I even saw Donald D. attending once... incognito, of course!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2005, 04:08:42 PM »

LA Cardinal Roger Mahoney isn't a serous consideration for Pope, I hope.  I find him a truly bad man...The way he protected pedaphile priests for years and stonewalled investigations into the matter was awful.  And then he also built this monstrous edifice of a cathederal  to his own vanity downtown...and basically ruined inexpensive, easy parking for the music center.

I basically spent a wasted day...other than the fact that I was tooling around in our new little red car listening to Vic Damone and BK's Sondheim At The Movies album, with orchestrations by our very own elmore.

I went to Canterbury Records, thinking that they would surely have the Jimmy Rodgers album with Long Hot Summer and several of his other better known hits on it (I think Rhino puts it out).  They did not.  But I could also not find one CD that I just felt compelled to buy.  Part of it is I guess the thrill of the hunt is gone and I'm just jaded, but it also seemed to me that even this venerable site is not what it once used to be (By the by, they lump their original cast albums with their Broadway soundtracks too).  And after a while, my eyes just glaze, poring over titles.  I tried a few bookstores too...but the same thing.  I can't look they way I used to...and the stock seems to rarely change in these places, so that there are so few surprises anymore.   One place at a lovely collection of old hardback Mermaid editions of Elizabethan & Jacobean playwrights other than shakespeare..Ben Jonson, Phillip Massinger and the like, but they were all $15 to $25 a volume and I didn't bite.  Cliff's Books at lots of interesting fifties and sixties paperbacks... particularly swashbucklers and historical...but I can't wade through unalphabetized stuff anymore.

I ended up only picking up a couple of W.R. Burnett western paperbacks.

I guess I'm getting old...

Jed

« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2005, 04:11:27 PM »

Miserable rainy day here.  The Vixter has been embroidering flowers on her Nicaraguan doll, which she  had to make for her Spanish class, most of the day

She just announce that for her Science project she has to make  a video on recycling.  Am I completely crazy in thinking these teachers are way out of line?  When I was a kid we showed up with a notebook, a looseleaf binder and some pencils and pens   I don't remember ever receiving any assignments which required my mother driving me all over creation (good thing too because she didn't drive) and paying pfr hundreds of dollars of supplies

Why can't these teachers just %^^&(!!**@# TEACH!!!?

End of Rant

Speaking as a former education major and a licensed teacher, all I can say is... AMEN!!!  Things have gotten rather ridiculous, if you ask me.

Jed

« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2005, 04:18:00 PM »

Currently listening to a BK-produced album which I had inexplicably not heard before now, featuring orchestrations by our very own elmore... Unsung Sondheim.  The joys of a library card. :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up