Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OTMAR VON SCHMICTER  (Read 5061 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: OTMAR VON SCHMICTER
« Reply #150 on: July 03, 2020, 08:05:36 PM »

Six!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #151 on: July 03, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »

We just watched the wonderful A STRANGER IN TOWN.

Jane

« Reply #152 on: July 03, 2020, 08:30:05 PM »

Jane, remind me exactly which or whose conversation.  I've only done this new thing twice, both times today (well, last night and today).

I have done it a couple of times and friends have had to do it.

Jane

« Reply #153 on: July 03, 2020, 08:30:25 PM »

DR Jane I am so sorry that you will have to wait longer to see your grand-baby.  Hopefully the time will come very soon.

Thank you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: July 03, 2020, 08:43:05 PM »

Finished with my viewing. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: July 03, 2020, 08:43:55 PM »

I rarely check on my past books on Amazon, but guess I should - this review showed up in March and I'm just seeing it - have no idea who wrote it:

GuessHoo57
5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and insightful memoir
Reviewed in the United States on March 9, 2020
Verified Purchase
This was a great peak into the life of a Hollywood presence who was prominent in the 1970s. I vividly remember Mr. Kimmel's appearances on TV from when I was a kid, and I'm a huge fan of "The First Nudie Musical," which I saw on cable when I was a teenager. That movie shaped who I am as a person, really (which is probably not something I should be so open about admitting, I suppose). I know people who are friends with, or work with, Mr. Kimmel and I've met him and seen some of the great shows he's directed, though I don't actually know him personally. I jumped at the chance to read more about his life and the making of his film(s) when I recently found out about this book. The book describes life in Hollywood for a (successful) working performer in the 70s and 80s (with some hints of what happened when things changed in the 90s), a time when the biz seemed particularly fascinating. It's a dense book, packed with information, a quality I appreciated. The author is, or at least seems to be, unflinching in his confessions, which include a brief dalliance with a noteworthy celebrity, desire for many other women, troubled personal relationships with marriage, family life and dating, and some starkly unpleasant career crises. I cannot honestly imagine what it takes to be an actor, or what drives these performers, and so it makes for riveting reading. There's a clear trajectory that I've seen in the experiences of people I know who dwell in Hollywood, a story I've heard time and again--the first "hit" really is free, and is often followed by trials that test one's interest in remaining in the business, or even in the town, literally. One needs an ego of steel, a lot of luck, and maybe a dash of naivete, to persevere. This book proves what I've long believed, personally (cliche though it may be); for some people there simply is no other way of life imaginable than show business, for whatever rewards it offers, and for someone creative, who feels compelled to create, it's a fairly obvious place to settle, for all its ups and downs. I appreciated going on a compelling ride with someone who has done so many interesting things and had such experiences as are worthy of writing a book about, and look forward to checking out his other work. Highly recommended to fans of the 70s, the "Nudie Musical" movie, showbiz memoirs, and actors in particular.

John G.

« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2020, 08:53:44 PM »

very nice review.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2020, 08:58:43 PM »

I'm almost through the first disc of Lonesome Dove. I don't think I ever saw this all the way through. I know I saw the last couple of episodes.

The cast is wonderful. They make the limitations of TV easier to take. I didn't realize how much I missed seeing Robert Urich.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #158 on: July 03, 2020, 10:23:44 PM »

Nice review.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: July 03, 2020, 10:23:52 PM »

Listening to excerpts from Countess Maritza, the JAY recording, courtesy of elmore.  Very entertaining.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #160 on: July 03, 2020, 11:13:05 PM »

I probably haven't tasted Miracle Whip since living with my parents. I guess serious mayo aficionados deride it, but are there, in fact, some decent uses for it?

Yes, there is.  I use it in my shrimp and macaroni salad.  It doesn’t taste right with mayo.  My sister hates Miracle Whip, she won’t allow it in her house; but she loves my shrimp and macaroni salad.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #161 on: July 03, 2020, 11:16:58 PM »

Okay, you all have gotten to me. I've taken the Sherlock Holmes Collection off the shelf and placed it on my burgeoning to-watch pile.

I love the Basil and Nigel SHERLOCK films, except Hound of the Basketballs.  Nothing wrong with their version, I just the entire story is stupid and not mysterious.
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2020, 11:17:30 PM »

TOD - We've been binge-watching the British detective series LEWIS, based in Oxford (England), while we confront the reality that it's probably the only way, now, that we'll ever see that community  :(

One of the things I picked up at the library was ROCKETMAN, the Elton John movie.  I've watched it once, but might watch again before returning it.  This weekend we'll probably also watch 1776 and INDEPENDENCE DAY, traditional fare in our household.

I usually watch 1776 and INDEPENDENCE DAY on alternate years.  I actually haven't seen either in a couple of years, so maybe I'll watch both, also. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2020, 11:17:40 PM »

Hi, Tom.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #164 on: July 03, 2020, 11:18:36 PM »

My favorite Von Schmicter film is THE MAJOR AND THE MINER about the young boy who pretends he is older so he can work with his father digging coal....most amusing.

I always thought Schmichter's son John did a nice job with that musical about the nudies.

:))

George

« Reply #165 on: July 03, 2020, 11:19:03 PM »

I must be in a July 4 state of mind.  I'm thinking about hot dogs and baked beans for dinner and craving potato salad and cheeseburgers.

I'm craving potato salad, too. Been looking through cookbooks for a recipe I want to try. I'm picky though, about my potato salad. No Velveeta and mayo combinations (one recipe), no Miracle Whip (way too many Texas recipes), no canned peaches.

Velveeta in potato salad??

Peaches?

WTF is going on here? Is our DR John G. having a nightmare?

:o

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2020, 11:20:31 PM »

From DR TCB:
I used my CBD cream (Solace) on my neck and it has really helped.  Still in pain, but I can move.

Moving is good.  I would try it if I could order it by mail.

You can buy it in any pot or CBD store.  It is legal.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2020, 11:21:13 PM »

For Fourth of July, I watched HAMILTON.
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2020, 11:22:13 PM »

I probably haven't tasted Miracle Whip since living with my parents. I guess serious mayo aficionados deride it, but are there, in fact, some decent uses for it?

I can't imagine a decent use for it ;D

I agree!

George

« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2020, 11:22:35 PM »

For Fourth of July, I watched HAMILTON.

What did you think??

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #170 on: July 03, 2020, 11:22:39 PM »

TCB, I'm the one who mentioned your sister's husband.

We Js all look alike.  ;)

Eventually I would have gotten to you.
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2020, 11:23:36 PM »

I think I'll listen to Dearest Enemy tomorrow to celebrate the Fourth.

That's a good one! ;) I think I'll try to dig it out, too.

George

« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2020, 11:25:20 PM »

I got a lovely email from my British conductor friend about the orchestration I sent him.  It may end up on a recording next year.

That would be so cool, Larry!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #173 on: July 03, 2020, 11:25:34 PM »

Rite aid sent "me" an email to take a survey regarding my experience at the Scranton store.

When were you in Pennsylvania?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #174 on: July 03, 2020, 11:30:53 PM »

I am out of here!
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #175 on: July 03, 2020, 11:31:08 PM »

Back from some travels.  Went to my local Gelson's to get a steak - line to get in a half-block long.  I'm sure it's because the morons of Sherman Oaks all wait till the last minute to get their July 4 crap.  Left immediately and went to the nearby Panda Express for food.  That was an eye opener - I got the special two plates one side thing that I always get, plus two vegetable spring rolls.  Total with tax, just under eleven bucks.  When I got home I went to DoorDash, ordered the exact same thing - total cost with tax, fees, and delivery?  Twenty-five bucks.  Never again.  Even if you remove the delivery charge it's still nineteen bucks and change.

Oh, my goodness! :o

George

« Reply #176 on: July 03, 2020, 11:31:17 PM »

I am out of here!

Good night, Tom.

George

« Reply #177 on: July 03, 2020, 11:33:54 PM »

TCB must feel better - we decree it.
Or do we decry it?

Decry the decree! ;D

George

« Reply #178 on: July 03, 2020, 11:45:50 PM »

I rarely check on my past books on Amazon, but guess I should - this review showed up in March and I'm just seeing it - have no idea who wrote it:

GuessHoo57
5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and insightful memoir
Reviewed in the United States on March 9, 2020
Verified Purchase
This was a great peak into the life of a Hollywood presence who was prominent in the 1970s. I vividly remember Mr. Kimmel's appearances on TV from when I was a kid, and I'm a huge fan of "The First Nudie Musical," which I saw on cable when I was a teenager. That movie shaped who I am as a person, really (which is probably not something I should be so open about admitting, I suppose). I know people who are friends with, or work with, Mr. Kimmel and I've met him and seen some of the great shows he's directed, though I don't actually know him personally. I jumped at the chance to read more about his life and the making of his film(s) when I recently found out about this book. The book describes life in Hollywood for a (successful) working performer in the 70s and 80s (with some hints of what happened when things changed in the 90s), a time when the biz seemed particularly fascinating. It's a dense book, packed with information, a quality I appreciated. The author is, or at least seems to be, unflinching in his confessions, which include a brief dalliance with a noteworthy celebrity, desire for many other women, troubled personal relationships with marriage, family life and dating, and some starkly unpleasant career crises. I cannot honestly imagine what it takes to be an actor, or what drives these performers, and so it makes for riveting reading. There's a clear trajectory that I've seen in the experiences of people I know who dwell in Hollywood, a story I've heard time and again--the first "hit" really is free, and is often followed by trials that test one's interest in remaining in the business, or even in the town, literally. One needs an ego of steel, a lot of luck, and maybe a dash of naivete, to persevere. This book proves what I've long believed, personally (cliche though it may be); for some people there simply is no other way of life imaginable than show business, for whatever rewards it offers, and for someone creative, who feels compelled to create, it's a fairly obvious place to settle, for all its ups and downs. I appreciated going on a compelling ride with someone who has done so many interesting things and had such experiences as are worthy of writing a book about, and look forward to checking out his other work. Highly recommended to fans of the 70s, the "Nudie Musical" movie, showbiz memoirs, and actors in particular.

That's wonderful, BK!

George

« Reply #179 on: July 03, 2020, 11:45:59 PM »

I wish I could write like that. ::)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up