Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OTMAR VON SCHMICTER  (Read 5010 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: OTMAR VON SCHMICTER
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2020, 07:45:40 AM »

I must be in a July 4 state of mind.  I'm thinking about hot dogs and baked beans for dinner and craving potato salad and cheeseburgers.

My mother's recipe was essentially the potatoes, chopped green olives, sweet pickle, celery, and hard-boiled egg.  I think her dressing was a mix of mustard and mayo.

I'm craving potato salad, too. Been looking through cookbooks for a recipe I want to try. I'm picky though, about my potato salad. No Velveeta and mayo combinations (one recipe), no Miracle Whip (way too many Texas recipes), no canned peaches.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2020, 07:46:47 AM »

Page 2 Dance!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2020, 07:47:13 AM »

TOD - We've been binge-watching the British detective series LEWIS, based in Oxford (England), while we confront the reality that it's probably the only way, now, that we'll ever see that community  :(

One of the things I picked up at the library was ROCKETMAN, the Elton John movie.  I've watched it once, but might watch again before returning it.  This weekend we'll probably also watch 1776 and INDEPENDENCE DAY, traditional fare in our household.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 07:50:01 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2020, 07:51:58 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2020, 08:03:31 AM »

DR JohnG, thanks for the link to the Britten.  It's an opera, like Britten's three church parables, that I find hard to cozy up to.  On the other hand I find Peter Grimes, Albert Herring, Gloriana, Turn of the Screw, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and his version of The Beggar's Opera quite wonderful.

I adopted a nice full score of Death in Venice at the McGlinnventory, but I'm guilty of not really knowing it. I'm low on Britten scores. I have my old vocal score to Albert Herring that I studied and possibly played from in the pit at school, and a PDF copy of The Turn of the Screw.

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2020, 08:04:42 AM »

My favorite Von Schmicter film is THE MAJOR AND THE MINER about the young boy who pretends he is older so he can work with his father digging coal....most amusing.

I always thought Schmichter's son John did a nice job with that musical about the nudies.

ChasSmith

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2020, 08:06:51 AM »

I must be in a July 4 state of mind.  I'm thinking about hot dogs and baked beans for dinner and craving potato salad and cheeseburgers.

I'm craving potato salad, too. Been looking through cookbooks for a recipe I want to try. I'm picky though, about my potato salad. No Velveeta and mayo combinations (one recipe), no Miracle Whip (way too many Texas recipes), no canned peaches.

Velveeta in potato salad??

Peaches?

WTF is going on here? Is our DR John G. having a nightmare?

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2020, 08:08:25 AM »

I probably haven't tasted Miracle Whip since living with my parents. I guess serious mayo aficionados deride it, but are there, in fact, some decent uses for it?

ChasSmith

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2020, 08:11:40 AM »

I'm craving those foods too, DR Elmore, and I think we're stocked up on them for the weekend. Except for baked beans, but I'm thinking there might be a can of a brand I really like still lurking in the back of a cupboard.

It will be store-bought potato salad, though. I've never learned to make it, either, and I should do that because even though I'll eat whatever's put in front of me, there are very few of them that I can honestly say I've loved. And I couldn't even tell you now whose those were, so I'll really be starting from square one.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 08:25:41 AM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2020, 08:19:25 AM »

DR Ginny, around here it's 1776, The Music Man, and sometimes Independence Day. It's funny, while we own the best physical copies of these, at times like this we tend to just have the TV on when TCM or someone is showing them.

I have yet to see Rocketman, and I know I should. I've even been told I'd probably really like it.

ChasSmith

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2020, 08:21:16 AM »

Okay, you all have gotten to me. I've taken the Sherlock Holmes Collection off the shelf and placed it on my burgeoning to-watch pile.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2020, 08:24:54 AM »

I'm craving those foods too, DR Elmore, and I think we're stocked up on them for the weekend. Except for baked beans, but I'm thinking there might be a can of a brand I really like still lurking in the back of a cupboard.

Store-bought potato salad, though. I've never made it either, and I should because there are few that I can honestly say I love.

Deli potato salad is so boring and plain.  My mother's sister Jean used to make wonderful German potato salad.

ChasSmith

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2020, 08:26:14 AM »

Yes, it would have to be along the lines of a good German potato salad.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2020, 08:28:20 AM »

I think I'll listen to Dearest Enemy tomorrow to celebrate the Fourth.

ChasSmith

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2020, 08:32:03 AM »

BK mentioned The Crucible along with other CRI recordings. I wonder if I still have a few of those original LPs. Was CRI the label that featured Donald Erb - who I knew, however slightly, at the Cleveland Institute?

But I need to listen to the Robert Ward again. And I'm again reminded I never did get a score. That needs be returned to the active want list.

ChasSmith

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2020, 08:33:15 AM »

I think I'll listen to Dearest Enemy tomorrow to celebrate the Fourth.

Well now, THAT is a capital idea!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2020, 09:02:54 AM »

I will confess, we bought the potato salad we ate this week.  It's one thing I've never made, mostly because I didn't want to compete with my mother, my mother-in-law, my sister, and my niece.  Now it's because it just seems like too much work.

We also bought the baked beans, but I do make my own from a recipe I've used since college days.

Potato salad is one of those dishes that divides many people, like chili. Everyone's is different. I grew up with hot German potato salad. I don't think I had mayo- or mustard-based potato salad until I was an adult. And it took me awhile before I liked anything but Mom's.

But I also think it's why I like experimenting by trying other people's potato salads. There's a world of recipes out there. 
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2020, 09:04:36 AM »

I probably haven't tasted Miracle Whip since living with my parents. I guess serious mayo aficionados deride it, but are there, in fact, some decent uses for it?

Catching flies?

It has an overly sweet taste to it, but there's something acrid, almost decayed that's just underneath. No. No. No.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2020, 09:04:54 AM »

You can tell I don't like it much.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2020, 09:06:02 AM »

Velveeta in potato salad??

Peaches?

WTF is going on here? Is our DR John G. having a nightmare?

Just going through my cookbook collection. Lot of church and junior league cookbooks. Sometimes I think they kid. But, no.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2020, 09:07:37 AM »

I'm thinking of watching epic westerns for the holiday. I've got Once Upon a Time in the West, The Searchers and Lonesome Dove all ready to go.
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2020, 09:41:44 AM »

From DR TCB:
I used my CBD cream (Solace) on my neck and it has really helped.  Still in pain, but I can move.

Moving is good.  I would try it if I could order it by mail.

Jane

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2020, 09:43:54 AM »

My favorite Von Schmicter film is THE MAJOR AND THE MINER about the young boy who pretends he is older so he can work with his father digging coal....most amusing.

;D

Jane

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2020, 09:45:50 AM »

I can't imagine a decent use for it ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2020, 09:55:43 AM »

I think DR ELMORE sent me DEAREST ENEMY.....I don't imagine I would have it otherwise.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2020, 09:57:24 AM »

I may broil some Spam.

It's the champagne of canned meats.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »

Or some hotdogs.....

John G.

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2020, 10:08:59 AM »

I may broil some Spam.

It's the champagne of canned meats.

Why not float it in some lime gelatin. Maybe add some pimento-stuffed olive and lima beans. Then top with a soupcon of Miracle Whip.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2020, 10:09:28 AM »

Don't forget a few cubes of Velveeta in there, too.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2020, 10:10:27 AM »

I'm an hour into Once Upon a Time in the West. Forgot just how good this movie is.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up