Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A TALE OF THE ALLERGIES' LIFE  (Read 28055 times)

LC

• .o0o.
Re:A TALE OF THE ALLERGIES' LIFE
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2003, 08:34:24 AM »

Book - Dante's Divine Comedy (three books in one volume)
Movie - The Sound of Music
CD - Hairspray cast recording (I can think of other things I'd like to bring, but this one always puts a smile on my face, and on a desert island I think I would need it!)
TV series - ER

I just accepted a new job at my former employer.  (I guess the good thing about being laid off at a young age is you are easily placed elsewhere.)  I think negotiating for the salary was the most nerve-wracking thing I have ever done in my life.  But, I am relieved to have a source of income again.  Phew!
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Emily

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2003, 08:40:20 AM »

Good morning everyone!  

Remember that book review I pull out of my... er... bum a couple of weeks ago?  I got it back and it is BY FAR the weirdest marking scheme I have ever seen for a paper.  There was only one comment on the entire thing (the marker underlined and checked when I called Newfoundland's post-Britain pre-Confederation the "lost years" - I think he like that) and then a mark (B+) at the end.  Other people in the class were just as confused by the lack of feedback.  I want to know why I got the mark I did!!!  I mean, it can't be entirely because of the "lost years"... that wasn't even that great of an argument/section.  Heck it wasn't even an argument or section at all!  It was a mere glancing mention.  Did the marker even READ my paper?!?  argh.

BK: was I the only one who noticed how in your notes Mr. Mark Bakalor is now Br. Mark Bakalor? Did Mark become a monk?  Cuz that would be very cool... ;)

Craig: IS IT YOUR BITHDAY TODAY AND YOU HAVEN'T TOLD ANYBODY?!?  I WOULD BE VEEEEERRRRYYY UPSET WITH YOU FOR THIS ATTEMPT AT SHYNESS IF IT IS!!   [/glow]

Even if it isn't you're birthday, just breathe through the work and think of all the delicious money you will be making.  :)

My Desert Island Pleasures:

CD: "The Last Five Years" OOBC.  I know it's controversial to mention JRB at this here site but I LOVE this cd soooooo much.  

Book: Hmmm... too hard to pick

Movie: "Empire of the Sun" - I have seen this WAY to many times to count!

I'll check in later!
Good morning everyone!

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2003, 08:40:49 AM »

Oh and for tv series:

M*A*S*H all the way baby!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2003, 08:49:11 AM »

Emily..

How sweet. No. It's not my birthday today. It's December 23rd (my birthday, not today).  Jason is going HOME on my bday this year, thus leaving me jasonless for any birthday celebrations I may or may not have.  

As for the delicious money I will be making.... I am on salary.. so while I am thankful for the job and salary I do have.. sadly, these extra OOOMPHS at work do not warrant a bumper crop of green...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2003, 09:06:07 AM »

DR Matt H & Mr BK - your discussion along with WEL's - inspired me.  I think I will check out the Tony Winners and nominees for different years....play the scores I have, and see what I think.

And DR Matt - although it is VERY close, I think I might have to go with NO STRINGS...although a comparison listen might make me lean toward FORUM or OLIVER.

Mr BK - when folks vote for the Grammy for Best Cast Album, are they admonished to also consider the technical aspects?  Because the 1964 OBC of HELLO, DOLLY is pretty sloppily records IMHO.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 09:28:05 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2003, 09:11:54 AM »

Emily:  I noticed that "Br. Mark Bakalor", too.  I'm imagining him as a Jesuit priest.

Lulu:  Welcome back!  I missed you!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2003, 09:15:10 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Hellooo everybody![/move]

BK--what a cool topic of the day, if a very hard one!  After some thought I have come up with the following selections--

book--The Portable Dorothy Parker, because that will keep me laughing when the coconuts and fish have run out.

CD--Gypsy OCR; the natives living on the closest island will be able to hear Ethel singing!  ;D

Movie--Let's go with Singin' in the Rain.  I NEVER get tired of it.

TV--DVD's of Sex and the City!

LC--congrats on the new job, sweetie!   ;D  Is it okay to give us more details??

Lulu--Welcome back...you've been missed!

Emily--I noticed the Br. Mark thing too!  Well, he does have an angel's face :P

Craig--our birthdays are 6 days away...mine is on the 29th!

Well, my NYC trip is approaching...I will be there from the 27th to the 30th I think.  Will anyone be in town to have lunch with yours truly???
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 09:16:15 AM by Maya »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2003, 09:19:22 AM »

I am doing something I never do, and that is post before I've read the posts that have come before me.  It's just that I adore desert island questions.

Film:  Citizen Kane

Book:  Proust's A la Recherche du Temps Perdu (in English translation, of course, aka known as Remembrance of Things Past.)

CD:  Wagner's Der Ring Des Nibelungen

TV series:  I Love Lucy
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 09:36:16 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2003, 09:21:46 AM »

Good morning esteemed, sniffly, Actifedish, and yet still guapo BK...

And good morning to all the lovely H/Ks todays.....my, what a pretty plate of cookies!!

So far, new parenthood is going smoothly and is very rewarding.  I think DR Kerry posted a picture, or will today! :D

Book:  Atlas Shrugged
Movie:  Some Like It Hot
CD:  "The Quiet Hour" (conducted by Robert Irving)
Musical:  La Cage
TV Series:  The Sopranos

My, how eclectic!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2003, 09:21:47 AM »

I feel the whole damn thing is psychological.

Very interesting and excellent desert island choices.  And now, to put a slightly different spin on our topic: What's the one thing you would bring to a Dessert Island?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2003, 09:21:51 AM »

Sorry - it was DR MDS who was talking about the Showboat CD!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2003, 09:23:49 AM »

DR JRand, I'm sure you mean Grammys for these shows since that's what we're discussing.

I really don't care much for NO STRINGS. Other than "The Sweetest Sounds," I find the rest of the score sort of bland. (Perhaps I need to re-listen. It's been a long time.)  OLIVER would have gotten my vote hands down.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2003, 09:25:03 AM »

I would bring DR Kerry.......that way, life would continue to be fun, warm, unpredictable, lively, thought-provoking:  in other words, not at all dull!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2003, 09:25:21 AM »

Well, if it's a DESSERT Island, I'd bring chocolate. If it's a desert island, well, probably chocolate!  :D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2003, 09:27:27 AM »

DR Matt - Grammy Award - of course!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2003, 09:31:30 AM »

Thanks to the "modify" feature my Tony has become a Grammy!

Congrats LC!  New jobs are marvelous and scary all at the same time.

MUSIC GUY!!!  We chose the same book to take and JAY....we chose the same tv series! LOL

DR MBarnum has a birthday coming up in December as well.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2003, 09:37:55 AM »

Excellent choice, Matt H.!  I would bring chocolate too, and I wouldn't feel guilty eating it either, because when I got fat from all the Godiva and Ghirardelli overload, nobody would be able to tell!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2003, 09:39:24 AM »

I've now read through today's posts and am delighted to see that Lulu has made her comeback return.

Dessert Island?  Profiteroles, hands down.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2003, 09:56:52 AM »

Late-breaking news: I am eating a bagel and viewing tapes.

More late-breaking news: My allergy attack last night (one of the worst I've ever had) has resulted in a sore throat and a general feeling of malaise, oh, yes, a general feeling of malaise.

Emily

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2003, 10:08:35 AM »

Craig - sorry for the misunderstanding.  Happy Birthday WAAAAYYY in advance!  Jason should be ashamed of himself.  I mean, it's not there are any other big event happening around the 23rd of December! ;)

BK - I think that the logical thing to bring with me to a dessert island would be a spoon.  Why bring your own sweets to one where godiva, profiteroles, etc. surely grow on trees?  :)

I think that if the name were actually misleading and it was BYOD (bring your own dessert) then I'd definitely go for a French pastry known as a "mille feuilles" or thousand leaves.  Chcoloate, almond paste, puff pastry and custard.  You can also get it with all whipped cream instead of custard or moitié-moité (half custard half cream) but I am a purist and must insist on whole custard.  

Strangely enough, custard in Quebec is known as "crème Boston" popularly, or Boston Cream.  I always thought that was interesting... why is custard associated with Boston?  hmmm....

William E. Lurie

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2003, 10:20:22 AM »

(Those of you who have read Ted Chapin's book on FOLLIES will already know this, and those of you who haven't - what are you waiting for?   It is to non-fiction what the Kritzer Trilogy is to fiction - something that can't be missed.)

The producer of the OBC of FOLLIES fought with Capitol Records to allow them to do a two-LP set but was forced to fit as much as he could of the score onto one LP.  It also had to be recorded in one day (as most OBC albums are) but some numbers were eliminated entirely and just about everything that made the final cut was edited from the stage version, so the cast was performing different versions of the material they recorded on-stage.  That said, the recording captures the great original performances, and is better performed than any other FOLLIES recording even though the others are much more complete.

Added note: TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA which beat FOLLIES for the Best Musical Tony that year was allowed to record the entire score on 2 LPs.

And speaking of Great Performances, in December shortly after the Broadway revisal of WONDERFUL TOWN opens, this series will present a London Concert version of the show (available for years on CD) with Kim Criswell as Ruth, Audra McDonald as Eileen, Thomas Hampton as Bob and --- of special interest to readers of this here site --- Brent Barrett as Wreck.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2003, 10:36:16 AM »

I would bring a fork to Dessert Island, of course.

So remember that Power Point thing that had me all worked up yesterday? I threw one together yesterday afternoon that didn't have all the bells and whistles that it was supposed to, and then stayed up most of the night writing my essay for English class. When I got to Computers today, the very forgetful teacher said that for extra credit, we could get up in front of the class and present our Power Points. Ordinarily, I would have said, No way, Jose" but I sorta need the extra credit, and I was so tired from writing that essay that I didn't know what I was doing anyway. So I volunteered to go second and presented my fencing school thingie. I didn't have anything prepared, so I just made it up as I went along and even acted out some of it. It was so funny and everybody laughed and then applauded at the end.  ;D
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2003, 10:36:44 AM »

Now if it were a dessert island that would be easy.  Take lots and lots of Dream Whip.  But now that we are back to the cold reality of life, it is once again a desert island.

TV Series:  The Simpsons.  I can watch them over and over again and they are still funny.  Plus, there are a lot of episodes, so I wouldn’t get too bored.

CD:  Judy Garland; Live at Carnegie Hall  When she was bad, she stunk; but when she was really on, like on this recording, she literally soared.

Movie:  Close Encounters of the Third Kind  It never fails to move me.

Book:  The Holy Bible  Sorry, but I am just being honest.

-----------------------------------
Thank you Matt H. for correcting my error from yesterday.

Mr. Lurie, you have made my day, my week, and my year.  I will program the VCR for December tonight.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2003, 10:39:50 AM »

The world today is a little less righteous...Righteous Brother Bobby Hatfield has passed away.

Boy, tough question, Bruce.

Film would be THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
TV series:  either I, CLAUDIUS or SOUTH PARK
Book:  SHE by Rider Haggard
CD:  Probably my two CD-set of Miklos Rozsa...or my boxed set of Doo Wop...or my two CD Johnny Hartman. DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2003, 10:44:50 AM »

DR WEL - what great news!  Is it the character Wreck that sings the football song?  What great December Programming.  Of course - unless I can get it on the satellite, we won't get it until February in Indiana....and is it during a Pledge Week?  If so, I won't watch at all, I will wait for the DVD.  

Mr BK what was malaise's general opinion of being felt?

TCB - you made me change my mind.  Judy at Carnegie Hall!  Do you have the Judy at Home at the Palace recorded in 1967?  It's not nearly as good, but it's Judy LIVE AND IN PERSON!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2003, 10:50:23 AM »

I don't think this is on CD - it's on the old ABC Paramount label!   ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2003, 10:54:03 AM »

Jrand:  I still have Judy Live and at Home at the Palace on this round thing made out of vinyl, but I haven't been able to listen to it for years.  I really need to get with the program, and buy a new copy of it on 8-track tape.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2003, 10:58:20 AM »

Late-breaking news: They have come into my office and are moving bookcases.  I cannot view when there is commotion.

In the old days my Dessert Island choice would have been a C.C. Brown's hot fudge sundae.  But now I might have Ben and Jerry's Coconut Almond Fudge Chip ice cream.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2003, 11:01:56 AM »

Flash for DR TCB - do what I did - go to Ebay and search under Audiotronics!  There you will find a nice selection of the Phonographs that used to be used by the Audio-Visual departments of schools.  They are priced anywhere from $10 to $45 - read the descriptions and make sure the one you are bidding on has a needle!  But for about $50 including shipping, you can have your round black vinyl things spinning again!

Oh...it might be easier just to buy a car with an 8-track player than finding the player itself.  I recommend a 1977 Mercury Monterey.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2003, 11:05:21 AM »

Per Ken Mandelbaum's column of yesterday, the date for the PBS WONDERFUL TOWN is Monday, December 22 but I assume that is the NYC date.  Not all PBS stations show these on the same day.  However I don't think that this will be during a begathon since Christmas week is not the usual time for doing so.

And yes Wreck --- the character Brent plays --- has the song "Pass That Football".  
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up