Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LISTS OF THE LISTLESS  (Read 4009 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE LISTS OF THE LISTLESS
« on: September 25, 2020, 12:19:51 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were listless, and now it is time for you to post until the listless cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE LISTS OF THE LISTLESS
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 12:20:53 AM »

And the word of the day is: PROPITIOUS!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 01:11:51 AM »

Today, I'm only going to work a partial day.  I'm leaving early because my dad's church, Saint George Byzantine Catholic Church is going to have a special service for him...I think that that's what's happening.  It's something like that.  Anyway, my mom and I are going and I need to get some new pants.  I bought a couple of new shirts, but I only have black jeans.  I know that my mom would not like that. ::)

;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:14:44 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 01:12:58 AM »

FYI...my dad was the only religious person in our family, but the people at the church asked if she would go and she didn't want to go alone, so I'm going.  I remember going a few times when the church was first built, but I haven't been back.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 01:37:54 AM »

And now, I'm off to bed. 

Good night, BK, and have a good day, all!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 04:11:38 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 04:12:20 AM »

Today, I'm only going to work a partial day.  I'm leaving early because my dad's church, Saint George Byzantine Catholic Church is going to have a special service for him...I think that that's what's happening.  It's something like that.  Anyway, my mom and I are going and I need to get some new pants.  I bought a couple of new shirts, but I only have black jeans.  I know that my mom would not like that. ::)

;)

DR George, this is really wonderful.  I hope it all goes smoothly today.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 04:14:37 AM »

The cats let me sleep in peace until 5:15 or so.  I did nod, maybe doze a bit.  I remember parts of a dream, something about a hospital stay but it's all vague now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 04:16:18 AM »

DR singdaw, I too had to use that lung exerciser during my post-surgery period.  I had honestly forgotten about it until you mentioned it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 04:18:20 AM »

DRs TCB and Jeanne, thanks for your explanations about the unemployment debit cards.  I can see how it's helpful for people with no bank accounts, but ,my neighbors have several accounts, and I would think direct deposit safer than an easily misplaced debit card.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 04:19:24 AM »

I am not looking forward to it, but I must drag out the Big Ladder and deal; with cans of cat food.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 04:20:35 AM »

BK, I think you might enjoy Nino Rota's comic opera, The Italian Straw Hat, based on the farce by Labiche.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 04:26:47 AM »

When I was in college, I was in Anouilh's comedy Thieves' Carnival.  It's a very funny play, and I've got tons of Anouilh's plays.  US publishers issued three paperback volumes of Anouilh's plays, including Lillian Hellman's adaptation of L'Alouette (The Lark).  British publisher Methuen has published two volumes of Anouilh, including Christopher Fry's more faithful adaptation of L'Alouette, which was produced in London with Dorothy Tutin as Joan and directed by Sir Peter Hall, around 1955.

One of the most prolific of Anouilh's translators was Lucienne Hill, who began work in the theatre as a play reader and secretary to London producer Binkie Beaumont.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 04:33:36 AM »

My friend Michael Valenti wrote a musical version of Anouilh's dark comedy Mlle Colombe, which Julie Harris and Eli Wallach (I believe) performed on Broadway.  It's about a naïve young man going into military service who leaves his pretty young wife, Colombe, in the carer of his mother, a huge Parisian stage star in fin du siècle Paris, and how Colombe is corrupted by many affairs, including one with her brother-in-law before she ends up a stage star, too.

Tammy Grimes played the mother in Valenti's production, and that is how I met Tammy Grimes.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 04:35:36 AM by elmore3003 »

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 05:20:56 AM »

Somehow I seem to recall that Bernstein wrote some incidental choral pieces for a production of The Lark, but I may be mixing things up.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2020, 05:21:50 AM »

DR TCB - I never knew, or had forgotten, that at one time you were a travel agent.

It seems to me that they do a lot of work for not very much compensation.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2020, 05:23:04 AM »

~~~CONTINUED RING LIGHT VIBES~~~ for DR JRand70.

That's 70 Rand 70, in musical-theatre speak.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 05:23:47 AM »

RE: ring lights...

I think we should all be bathed in flattering light, all the time.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2020, 05:27:46 AM »

~~~REST AND SLEEP VIBES~~~ for a very deserving DR Vixmom!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2020, 05:35:08 AM »

I wonder what time-warp phenomenon would happen if you ate orzo whilst watching Ozu?

Michael

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 05:36:34 AM »

Hello and good day to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 05:37:51 AM »

I have the new Hitchcock collection and will probably watch Rear Window
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 05:50:03 AM »

Somehow I seem to recall that Bernstein wrote some incidental choral pieces for a production of The Lark, but I may be mixing things up.

You are absolutely right.  There were a Latin set and a French set, written for Hellman's adaptation, and this was the beginning of a collaboration that ended in the 1956 version of Candide.  The choruses are great.  One of the French tunes Bernstein used ended up in the Louis Ganne operetta Hans le joueur de flûte.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 05:53:13 AM »

Hope this hasn't been posted already.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2020, 05:54:32 AM »

And then Bernstein's tunes from these pieces were re-worked into a Mass setting (separate from Mass).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2020, 05:54:55 AM »

Ended in 1956?  Rather crashed and burned.  My friend Charlie Harmon, who was Bernstein's personal assistant for several years before his death, told me Hellman came to dinner at the Ansonia one night and spent the entire evening bitching about Candide to Lenny. Not long before she died, there was an off-Broadway revival of her play My Mother, My Father, and Me.  He said Hellman, who came to rehearsals, was so blind she put her cigarette out in the mayonnaise jar.

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2020, 05:58:12 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2020, 05:59:57 AM »

Listless barely describes it this morning.

—(posted from the recliner)

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2020, 06:00:55 AM »

Vive le creuset!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2020, 06:01:24 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up