Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A FISTFUL OF NOTES  (Read 31465 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:A FISTFUL OF NOTES
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2005, 08:59:04 AM »

I was E & T although not by choice,  The electricians came yetserdy to repair the damage done by the falling telephne pole and since we had electrical wotk we were going to get done "eventually" we paid these guys to do the other stuff as well.  However  no electricity  = no computer time.

By time the elctric was restored  the Vixter was home from school and we were in a whirlwind of homework (she needed quizzing for two tests she was studying for) and dinner and voice lessons and girl scout and then it was bedtime so I have not caught up.

Probably won't catch up today either as I have closings and then the Vixter has a dress/technical rehearsal so there goes the whole evening !

My Ask BK /Jose/Larry and all you other astute DR's:
 what Broadway (or other) songs would you recommend for a 11 -12 year old girl ...

her voice teacher says she can select her next few numbers, (teacher likes the show tunes) so far she has sung  "In His Eyes" and  "Someone Like You" from J & H, "Castle in a Cloud", "Bring Him Home". "I Dreamed a Dream" "and On My Own" from Le Miz,  and "Music of the Night" and  "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" from Phantom.

She has been leaning towards 'Never Never Land' from Peter Pan and "I'm Not That Girl", "Dancing Through Life" 'Defying Gravity" and "The Wizard & I" from Wicked.  can you suggest any perhaps less known but appropriate songs?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 08:59:49 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2005, 09:01:31 AM »

DR JMK  I love the music!  Thank you, thank you thank you!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 09:01:56 AM by vixmom »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2005, 09:01:47 AM »

I don't care for westerns, so I don't have a favorite Sergio Leone film.   :-\

And while I prefer non-fiction for my reading, I'm not that hot on crime books.   :-\  (On the other hand, how many people do you know who read cookbooks for fun?   ::))
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2005, 09:06:14 AM »

I don't care for westerns, so I don't have a favorite Sergio Leone film.   :-\

And while I prefer non-fiction for my reading, I'm not that hot on crime books.   :-\  (On the other hand, how many people do you know who read cookbooks for fun?   ::))

My sister--she devours them!

Yuk!  Yuk!  Yuk!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2005, 09:07:42 AM »

In my freshman year of high school  I read "The Day Kennedy Was Shot" and the "The Day Lincoln Was Shot" )both by Jim Bishop if I recall correctly) for a term paper I did for social studies.

Later in high school (junior or senior year)  I had to do reports on "Helter Skelter  " AND "In Cold Blood" (bloody thirsty bunch of teachers I had, hey?)

I remember reading "In Cold Blood" while I was home alone, when when my parents and the boys came back from wherever they were I nearly wet myself when the front door opened  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2005, 09:09:34 AM »

Promises, Promises and Li'l Abner have arrived from Amazon.

Ya might as well save your moolah as far as PP is concerned.  It's no different from the Rhino disc.  The cover is slightly different.  New album notes are so-so.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2005, 09:11:08 AM »

I'd recommend "Love Makes the World Go 'Round" from CARNIVAL. It's a sweet, lovely song. From the same show is "Beautiful Candy" which is a more complex song to sing, but if she's already tackling songs from PHANTOM and LES MIZ, perhaps that might be more challenging.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 09:14:52 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2005, 09:12:01 AM »

I got my Errol Flynn set and ABNER. I'll have to watch THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX first, even before ABNER.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2005, 09:13:13 AM »

Here's a question for BK, and everyone else.

A few days ago, at another site  :o, the question was asked "Who are your favorite movie villains?"  The usual suspects were trotted out.

That's not my question, because it's too, well, usual.

Instead, let's go in the opposite direction.

What are your favorite movies that don't have villains?

What, no villains?  No bad guys (or girls) to fan the flames of the action?  YES!  Stories that don't have villains can be just as interesting, and closer to how most of us live our lives.

For example, The Right Stuff doesn't have a villain.  Plenty of heroes, but no villain!

The only film by Ron Howard that I've truly enjoyed might be thought of as Right Stuff's sequel, Apollo 13.  Talk about drama!  But no villain.

So, there's a couple of examples...anyone have any other favorites?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 10:09:22 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2005, 09:15:41 AM »

TERMS OF ENDEARMENT.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2005, 09:17:17 AM »

George is apparently sitting at his computer in a drunken stupor and has been for an hour.

This is the worst case of WUSSBURGERING that I can recall.

I hurt...pity me. ;) Yesterday, I helped with the load-in for the tour of STOMP that's here in Olympia for two performances.  We had to unload the entire set.  It's mainly a two-story frame with attachements and the floors for both levels!  We had to unload carts that held the panels of the flooring which consists of two layers (attached to each other) of 3/4 inch plywood sheets with interlocking tabs, then a layer of something else on top of that, then we taped all the seams, then the entire floor was painted black.  Then the upper level had to be assembled.  We were told that some of the carts weighed as much as 1500 pounds!!

Anyway, after the load-in, I came home and napped.  After only a couple of hours, I had to go back to the theater and usher for the show.  I had to stand for another five hours because the entire 988-seat Washington Center was sold out (and the Thursday night performance is sold out, too)!  So, when I got home last night, I logged in and tried to catch up (or even ketchup), but I couldn't even think.  I was just able to read yesterday's notes before I had to go to bed.  So, I'm now all awake, I've read all the notes, caught up on all the posts and am now leaving to go to work after posting why I was a total Wussburger last night.  It wasn't exactly a drunken stupor, but pretty darned close. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2005, 09:19:48 AM »

Well....my first question....then for ASK BK day this week:

What work of non-fiction do you think best covered a real crime in the truest detail?

There have been several books on the Kennedy-Dallas event that I thought were quite good.

I love Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, and I thought Ellroy's My Dark Places was excellent.

George

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2005, 09:20:50 AM »

Promises, Promises and Li'l Abner have arrived from Amazon.

Ya might as well save your moolah as far as PP is concerned.  It's no different from the Rhino disc.  The cover is slightly different.  New album notes are so-so.

Thanks for the info.  I was wondering about that.  I bought the first CD release of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and when the 2nd CD was released last year, I bought it also.  It was the same situation.  Everything on the CD was the same.  It had a whole new booklet but no new information that I felt I needed to know.  I sold it to a friend for his daughter for less than what I paid for it. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2005, 09:21:25 AM »

My Ask BK /Jose/Larry and all you other astute DR's:
 what Broadway (or other) songs would you recommend for a 11 -12 year old girl ...
Whatever you do, don't let anyone con her into singing "A Call From the Vatican," from Nine, no matter how topical it sounds!

;)

Even "How Long Has This Been Going On" (Rosalie, 1927) is a bit precocious.  (But keep it in mind for three or four years from now, when it could really work for her!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2005, 09:22:19 AM »

Question for BK:  what stage musical do you think has the most perfect opening number?

Everyone always cites Funny Thing, so I'll cite Li'l Abner - perfectly sets the tone, introduces you to the milieu of the story, and you meet many of the leading players.  

I also think It's a Perfect Relationship is a wonderful first song, because it makes you fall in love with Ella Peterson, whom you spend the rest of the show rooting for.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2005, 09:23:26 AM »

A Pajama Game Ask BK/DR question:  I may be misremembering this, but wasn't Hernando's Hideaway ghosted by someone other than Adler/Ross and interpolated into the show on the road?  For some reason this is ringing a bell with me, and all the scores have completely different manuscript for this number, which is what got me to (mis)remembering in the first place.....

This I have never heard.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2005, 09:27:46 AM »

HABERDASHERY!

For heaven's sake, let the darling daughter sing something that's not from one of those mega-shows.  

Someone was saying the sound on the new Promises is superior, but they're saying that only to justify having made the purchase - it's exactly the same.

George

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2005, 09:28:52 AM »

Here's a question for BK, and everyone else.

What are your favorite movies that don't have villians?

At first I was going to say "Singing in the Rain," but I think a case can be made for Lina Lamont being the "villain."  This requires more thinking time.

George

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2005, 09:29:34 AM »

I'm now off to work!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2005, 09:33:56 AM »

What are your favorite movies that don't have villians?

Moonstruck
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2005, 09:39:00 AM »

Whatever you do, don't let anyone con her into singing "A Call From the Vatican," from Nine, no matter how topical it sounds!

You should hear my imitation of Hermione Gingold singing "A Call From the Vatican".

Then again, maybe you shouldn't.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2005, 09:39:14 AM »

I, like DR elmore, have never seen a Sergio Leone film.  Is this a bad thing??

It is only bad unless you like grimy, violent, dubbed westerns starring a lot of Italian folk and a few American actors whose U.S. careers had peetered ....just my opinion, of course! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2005, 09:45:07 AM »

BK, did you buy THE ENCHANTED SHADOW (1960) when you bought all of those Hong Kong movies? I just watched it last night (my friend Dave sent it to me) and it was very spooky...it is a ghost movie and gave me more then just a few goose-bumps!! And, it is beautiful to look at...very colorful while still being creepy.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2005, 09:45:23 AM »

DR MattH, I was disappointed with most on Idol last night.  But I liked Vonzell (who i didn't used to like). She has improved a lot. And really seems to have fun.

I wasn't really crazy with most of the others.  And I hope Scott will go home.  I can't imagine that he wouldn't be in the bottom 3 (my guess would be anthony/anwar/scott).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2005, 09:46:23 AM »

S. Woody: What is a "villian"?   :o :o :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

I've seen movies with Lillians but not villians.

Yes, I, for one, think it's a bad thing not to have seen a Leone movie.  He's a master director and his films are mesmerizing to watch.  Not for everyone, I suppose, but I always think you should see films by the masters.  My faves are For a Few Dollars More, Once Upon a Time in the West (GREAT), and Once Upon a Time in America (which has one of my favorite motion picture scores ever).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2005, 09:47:34 AM »

We have had well over a week of glorious, beautiful weather here in the City of Brotherly Love, but I think I'm beginning to suffer from the Eldoraldo Syndrome.  I'm kind of tired of all this perpetual sunshine and I'm pining for a rainy day.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2005, 09:50:43 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

-I guess I'm meant to sleep until Noon nowadays... Ah, well...

The rain and storms that were supposed to come today have been pushed to tomorrow.  Consequently, my motivation to start pulling stuff out of my closet has also been delayed.  We'll see.  However, I do have a list of stuff and things I know I can just either put right into the trash, recycling bin, and/or bin for the thrift store.  And I have a feeling that once I get those things set aside, the rest of the packing should go rather quickly and smoothly.

I hope.

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2005, 09:52:23 AM »

Re: last night's TAR (SPOILERS FOR MBARNUM IF HE DIDN'T WATCH YET).

Okay so I liked last week's to be continued.  However if a leg is going to be that long DO NOT BUNCH THEM UP. How annoying to do so much work and then to be bunched up both at the train station and at the following task.  I really hate when they do this so close to an elimination.

Although that said, Gretchen and Meredith and Lynn and Alex still always manage to finish at the bottom.

I was disappointed that the cabbie taking them to the wrong castle was the deciding factor in who was eliminated. But I was so happy to see the losers go.  I was also very moved by Joyce and the fast forward.  And I loved the competition between Romber (who got married Saturday btw) and Ron/Kelly. Especially at the finish line.

And one last thing.  I'm sure some people were not sure if last night would be an elimination or not.  But Phil commenting on the grannies placing BEFORE THE ELIMINATION totally ruined that for me.  I mean obviously if he's gonna say they have placed the highest of any oldies then it had to be an elimination.

Oh and btw, I know you guys all love the grannies.  But they must be the ones with a horseshoe up their butts.  They have been way too lucky (coming in last on non-elims and the to be continued).  If they make it to F3 I will be totally shocked.  But it's still quite an accomplishment to be top 4.

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2005, 09:53:05 AM »

I probably should watch a Leone movie again, sometime...my dad loved his films, but as a kid, they disturbed me...I just can't rid myself of that feeling...of course THE ASTOUNDING SHE MONSTER and THE BRAIN EATERS both disturbed me as a kid as well...but I got over it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2005, 09:53:54 AM »

As for Sergio Leone films... I know I've seen a couple of them before - most likely on Channel 20 in DC when they would run their Westerns weekends.  But that was many, many years ago, and, alas, I do not remember them well.

However, I did catch Clint Eastwood's interview on "Fresh Air" last year, and he had some wonderful comments on making those films.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up