Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A TALE OF TWO OPERAS  (Read 3441 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: A TALE OF TWO OPERAS
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2020, 07:15:10 PM »

I could not find a new nail brush anywhere
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2020, 07:18:51 PM »

Then I came home , went on Amazon and found a set of 6 for less than $4...free shipping with Prime and it will be here on Monday
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

ChasSmith

« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2020, 07:21:13 PM »

This is why Amazon has effectively taken over the world.

ChasSmith

« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2020, 07:30:59 PM »

So, two wonderful discoveries today:

1. The 1954 stop motion "opera fantasy" film of Hansel and Gretel. It's been a busy afternoon and evening and I didn't have it in me to watch anything tonight. But I had to see what this looks like, so I watched half a minute or so at each chapter stop, lingering here and there. My first impression is that it is utterly charming, and every bit as captivating as the classic Rankin/Bass works -- if not more so, given the opera score and its overall design. I look forward to watching it closely during Thanksgiving week.

The transfer is primitive. It's watchable, but it looks and sounds in every respect like an early VHS tape. This film has no business not being available in best possible quality. I'd be tempted to bring it up on the HTF to see if those with the means of doing so might investigate ownership and materials and the possibility, however remote, of anything happening with it.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 08:15:46 PM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2020, 08:05:57 PM »

2. The opera itself, as captured in the Met's 1982 Christmas Day telecast. Oh my god, what a beautiful score! And I don't have one here to look at. That shall be rectified. Again, I just skipped and sampled my way through it, but this will be thoroughly digested this week as well.

I, too, would like to see it performed with younger leads, but Blegen and von Stade are wonderful as is Rosalind Elias. And what a trip back to the early '80s at the Met. (Credits like "Gil Wechsler, Lighting" are burned into my brain.) It looks and sounds like everyone's at the top of their game here.

This video, too, is a bit primitive looking compared to their later telecasts, but it is what it is. However, the execution is great. During the really lovely overture, the orchestra is exceptionally well captured by the video cameras. It's almost more satisfyingly executed than in later performances. I was also blown away at the sight of two players I'd known to some extent in school, barely ten years after we'd all left Cleveland. Here, they looked like Cleveland was just yesterday. But I digress! For me, one piece of bad news. Someone had the brilliant idea after the opening passages in the overture to cut away from the orchestra and show costume designs while the music played. At first I thought we might be seeing something the audience was seeing. But no. It was like watching a dull picture "gallery" as an extra on a DVD. We don't get back to the orchestra until the final passages of the overture. Did they think that because this attracts so many families that the kiddies would get bored watching people play? Oy. A thousand times Oy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2020, 08:10:56 PM »

I think we lost vixmom.   :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2020, 08:11:40 PM »

I'd better bow out of here before I put anyone else to sleep.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #157 on: November 21, 2020, 08:29:00 PM »

In another hour or so, we are going to brave the supermarket for Thanksgiving supplies.  Pray for Rosemary's baby.

Good luck!

Thanks, DR Jane!  The supermarket was deserted, and there was no line to check out. Huzzah!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #158 on: November 21, 2020, 08:32:16 PM »

Also, DR John G., I now have my own copy of Avoca Soups.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2020, 08:38:38 PM »

The Met Opera on Demand viewer appears to have 2 video copies of Humperdinck's opera - the one DR Chas Smith referenced above, and the most recent production.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2020, 08:59:43 PM »

Then the torturer um, hygienist called in the dentist who decided that he needed to fund his retirement and pronounced the need for another three crowns

Oy

three? ouch.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2020, 09:01:31 PM »

Also, DR John G., I now have my own copy of Avoca Soups.

Enjoy. The Petit Pois and Mint as well as the Courgette and Almond soups were in their second cookbook. I really like both. I'm making the celeriac and hazelnut soup tomorrow.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2020, 09:02:09 PM »

Well, I was placed in the balcony tonight. Not fun. The stage lights often blinded the few people up there and they were vocal in their complaints. Nothing I could do but report it.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2020, 09:03:31 PM »

The singer was really good. His performances of John Denver songs scored well with the audience. But ...

I wish he just sang. His patter was boring and added nothing. So, the evening was mixed.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2020, 09:07:46 PM »

As good as Denver's songs are, and they can be very good, there were some repetitive themes. Several songs about sunshine, several songs about Colorado and the Rocky Mountains, several songs about missing home, several songs with "high" used, several songs with any or all of the above. When you put them all on top of each other, they began to blend into one big, long song.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2020, 09:14:44 PM »

Good night, all.
― Voltaire

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2020, 10:02:21 PM »

one big, long song.

One of my most favorite overheard audience comments was a concert-goer, emerging from a complete performance of Handel's Messiah, exclaiming, "Boy, that was a long song!"

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2020, 10:03:51 PM »

~~~FINANCIAL AND DENTAL VIBE$~~~ for DR vixmom

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2020, 10:22:28 PM »

I got that animated Hansel and Gretel today, too, but don't want to watch until I've heard the opera first, complete, which will be tomorrow.  I was thinking of getting the Met version, too.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2020, 11:08:31 PM »

When I saw that photo of the PY-anny on top of the car, my thought was that ONE too many auditioners had asked the accompanist to transpose his song.....

I just thought the owner’s radio had died.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2020, 11:18:02 PM »

I like DR Elmore’s family’s tradition of the two pies, with the addition of the mince pie. It don’t get no better than that.

Were they still authentic mince meat pies then? We had them, too, and I was the kid who always loved them. But I have no idea now which ours were. Which sadly means I have no idea whether I’ve had a real mince meat pie. And isn’t that a fine kettle of fish.

If my grandmother has poured some booze into the mince meat, I might have liked it.  She just complained that she didn’t have any venison to add to the pie.
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2020, 11:20:15 PM »

Tomorrow, Nov 22, is the feast day of Saint Cecilia, the patron saint of music.

What a coinkydink!  My aunt, the nun, is named Sister Cecilia, and she used to play the guitar! :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2020, 11:20:27 PM »

Hi, Tom.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2020, 11:21:22 PM »

I spoke to my brother Randy.  There's been no further word on the Ohio property inquiry, and that's a bummer.

~~~Continued Property Selling Vibes for Larry!!~~~

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2020, 11:22:58 PM »

BELATED

A Very Happy ^^ Birthday to Kevin!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2020, 11:23:51 PM »

Here goes nothing...

Alban Berg
Arnold Schoenberg
Igor Stravinsky
Benjamin Britten
Kurt Weill
Maurice Ravel
Leonard Bernstein
Gian Carlo Menotti
George Gershwin

I know I'm leaving out other great composers, but for an off-the-cuff list of favorites as I sit here typing, this is what came out of my fingers.

I did try to include favorite pieces. In a few cases, that's easy. For others, there'd be no end to it.

I recognized almost half.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2020, 11:24:41 PM »

I love the lists so far and would take favorites from each, so I will just add a few more:

Ralph Vaughan Williams
Stephen Sondheim
Sergei Prokofiev
Aram Khachaturian
Heitor Villa-Lobos
Sergei Rachmaninoff

Hey, I got Steve!
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2020, 11:24:46 PM »

I just got notification that my two Hansels and two Gretels are in my mailbox. That's amazing, since they were originally estimated to arrive by the 25th, then that changed to definitely the 23rd, and here they are on the 21st.

You know something I love? I'll tell you. I love it when I automatically check Amazon for something, find it okay and very nearly buy it, but then I think to look on eBay and I find even better deals on the same brand new items for even less money, with shipping included, and they get here just as fast if not faster than Amazon sometimes. That's something I love.

And now if you'll excuse me, I need to put shoes on and make a little trip to the mailbox.

Congrats on the quick arrival!  And I always try to remember (a Fantasticks reference ;) ) to search at least both places, if not others, because I've certainly gotten some deals from the other website when first searching one.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2020, 11:26:18 PM »

Mephisto is thrilling. I've been interrupted too many times while watching, but both the movie and the central performance are as brilliant as I remember. And the parallels to today are scary.

Who is in the film?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2020, 11:34:38 PM »

Then the torturer um, hygienist called in the dentist who decided that he needed to fund his retirement and pronounced the need for another three crowns

Oy

:(  Sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up