Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAYS OF FUTZING AND FINESSING  (Read 2967 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE DAYS OF FUTZING AND FINESSING
« on: January 03, 2021, 12:22:52 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were futzing and finessing, and now it is time for you to post until the futzing and finessing cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE DAYS OF FUTZING AND FINESSING
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 12:24:28 AM »

And the word of the day is: AUDACIOUS!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 04:00:20 AM »

~~~RECOVERY VIBES~~~ for DR Jennifer!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 04:06:04 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 04:06:44 AM »

~~~RECOVERY VIBES~~~ for DR Jennifer!

Ditto!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 04:08:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: AUDACIOUS!

bk is currently in a period of AUDACIOUS creativity, it seems!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 04:09:31 AM »

Another nightmare last night, taking place simultaneously in the haunted house where I grew up at 3003 Goldman Avenue and the apartment where I now live, and about spirits of the dead.  I woke quite frightened, told the dream to a noncommittal Stella, and went back to sleep.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 04:12:03 AM »

I will take the trash to the basement and pick up yesterday's mail, work a bit on Oh, Boy!, and loll about with the kitties.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 04:12:24 AM »

Tomorrow I must do the laundry.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 04:23:13 AM »

Massenet wrote a ton of operas, but my two favorites are Manon and Cendrillon, a version of Cinderella I prefer over Rossini's Cenerentola.  I very much like Beverly Sill's recording of Manon, and I've got the recordings featuring Victoria de los Angeles, a soprano I love, and Ileana Cotrubas, but Manon was one of Sills' best roles.

I am also very fond of this this recording of Cendrillon, with Fredrica von Stade (who's quite wonderful), because Ruth Welting's Fairy Godmother is spectacular.  The role of the Prince was written for a soprano, and this recording uses tenor Nicolai Gedda, just as many cast Prince Orlofsky in Die Fledermaus with a male singer instead of a mezzo-soprano.  I have the same problem with casting a tenor in drag as the Witch in Hansel and Gretel.

And this leads to another French opera I like very much, Mignon by Ambroise Thomas, based like Massenet's Werther on a novel by Goethe. I love this recording and once again the spectacular Ruth Welting - whatever became of her? - is dazzling as the actress-drama queen Philine; Marilyn Horne and the rest of the cast are wonderful. I'm also a big fan of conductor Antonio de Almeida, who was working on a huge book of Offenbach when he died.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 04:29:12 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 04:51:29 AM »

And speaking of Antonio de Almeida leads to one of my very favorite composers, Jacques Offenbach, whose unfinished Tales of Hoffmann has become the playground of scholars, editors, and productions.  Pffenbach died before its first performance, so he never had the opportunity to finalize the score.  The standard performance edition for the past 100 years was finalized on 1906 or so in Monte Carlo. but since the 1940s there has been an attempt by many to determine "what Offenbach really wanted."  De Almeida discovered a trove of performance materials from a reading before Offenbach's death, and he was working on an edition.  A misguided German musicologist, Fritz Oeser, who had already misinterpreted Carmen, published "his" edition, and Michael Kaye has been working on his edition now, which was in collaboration with de Almeida, I believe.

So, at this point, Hoffmann's recorded in a number of treatments and the same goes for DVDs.

My two favorite recordings of the "Standard" version are Beverly Sills from the 1970s and the Opéra Comique recording from the 1940s. I saw Sills, Triegle, and a young Placido Domingo do Hoffmann at the Cincinnati Summer Opera around 1971.  It was wonderful.

There is a good DVD from the Royal Opera, directed by John Schlessinger, and the wonderfully strange Michael Powell film.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 05:04:49 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 05:03:46 AM »

First attempt to shake up the standardized edition was Bonynge's recording with Sutherland.  He returned to the original play the opera was based on and rerplaced much recitative with spoken dialogue.

Oeser's edition for Schott was assembled around the same time, and it got a good recording with Neil Shicoff.

Michael Kaye's edition has been recorded twice. Jeffrey Tate's from the mid-1980s used Kaye's edition, but as more manuscripts turned up from archives and the Offenbach family holdings, a second recording incorporated more discovered music.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 05:30:24 AM »

The greatest French opera? Bizet's Carmen

The opera was written for the Opéra Comique, with spoken dialogue, and it begins like a witty musical and ends a tragedy of obsession as a mama's boy with violent tendencies goes from honest soldier to smuggler and murderer, led astray by an amoral gypsy girl.  It was a flop and Bizet died shortly after its premiere.  Ychaikovsky saw a performance and said it was a work of genius, but what did he know?

When it was revived several years later, the Paris Grand Opera performed it with all of the spoken dialogue condensed and turned into recitatives.  A lot of musical underscoring and the second number in the score were dropped.  It was a huge success, and this became the "standard" edition.

In the 1960s Fritz Oeser, working with German director Walter Felsenstein, produced an edition that restored spoken dialogue as an alternative and the melodramas.  He also got lost in determining what music Bizet altered either by his own judgment or by outside forces in the original rehearsal period.  Since then, there have been recordings and performances based on the whims of director or conductor.

In 1950 Andre Cluytens recorded the opera with the Opéra Comique and a great French cast.

In the mid- to late-1950s Sir Thomas Beecham conducted the standard grand opera version with the great Victoria de los Angeles, and this was the recording I grew ip with.

In the 1960s, Maria Callas chewed up Carmen.  I think she's maybe too rough and nasty, but I also think she might have had a huge success in the role if she had decided to rethink her voice, and she's always fascinating.

In the 1980, Georg Solti recorded the opera with a good international cast and a very intelligent examination of Oeser's edition in comparison to the standard edition, and chose what he liked from each.  He's very thorough in the booklet to explain each of hius decisions, and I love this recording.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 05:32:10 AM »

That's enough of me on this page!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 05:55:34 AM »

I think I may have slept thirty minutes so far. My tummy is having serious issues and I put the blame on the too many cupcakes I ate - the frosting was way too rich and it's not digesting well at all.  I hope tummy calms down soon so I can get a few hours of sleep.

ChasSmith

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 06:14:09 AM »

Oy!  Tummy vibes for BK!

ChasSmith

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 06:14:20 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 06:15:08 AM »

There’s a whole lotta (but no Lotte) opera on this page.

ChasSmith

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 06:16:42 AM »

And lots of lovely classic recordings of same.

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 06:20:49 AM »

DR Elmore, is that Solti Carmen similar to how the Met was doing it in the 1980s, or did they also roll their own? I just remember the production with Maria Ewing being my first exposure to the new edition.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2021, 06:28:41 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2021, 06:38:58 AM »

DR Elmore, is that Solti Carmen similar to how the Met was doing it in the 1980s, or did they also roll their own? I just remember the production with Maria Ewing being my first exposure to the new edition.

I think Ewing has three different DVDs available.  I prefer the Glyndebourne, directed by Peter Hall and conducted by Haitink.  As to your question, the Oeser materials started showing up at the Met in that Horne production conducted and recorded by Bernstein, a recording I dislike immensely. I couldn't quote chapter and verse on what each new production/DVD anywhere has done to the score.

That cut number, a scene-pantomime for Morales, the soldiers, a young wife, lover, and husband, is interesting to hear, but not really necessary.

ChasSmith

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2021, 06:42:01 AM »

I think Ewing has three different DVDs available.  I prefer the Glyndebourne, directed by Peter Hall and conducted by Haitink.  As to your question, the Oeser materials started showing up at the Met in that Horne production conducted and recorded by Bernstein, a recording I dislike immensely. I couldn't quote chapter and verse on what each new production/DVD anywhere has done to the score.

That cut number, a scene-pantomime for Morales, the soldiers, a young wife, lover, and husband, is interesting to hear, but not really necessary.

I always forget about that Bernstein recording. I’m not sure if I ever got all the way through it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2021, 06:52:05 AM »

DR ChasSmith, Didion's new edition of the score for Eulenberg surpasses all the others.  It's a complete Opéra Comique edition of the original score, replacing the Guiraud recits with the original spoken dialogue and including the missing Scene-Pantomime.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/3795763118/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John G.

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2021, 06:56:10 AM »

Sleep and tummy vibes for BK.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2021, 06:56:38 AM »

I wish I had the Powell-Pressberger Tales of Hoffman. Not currently offered by Criterion.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2021, 06:56:59 AM »

I'd like their Peeping Tom, too. Creepy little film.
― Voltaire

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2021, 06:57:07 AM »

sorry I have been E&T
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2021, 06:57:22 AM »

Furious at what’s going on in DC
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

John G.

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2021, 06:57:47 AM »

I'm up and I'm ready for a nap.
― Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up