Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BAG O' STUFF  (Read 30829 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:BAG O' STUFF
« Reply #210 on: May 03, 2005, 08:03:32 PM »

Congratulations to one and all and one on the recording!  It will all be worth it when we have those shiny discs in our hands!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #211 on: May 03, 2005, 08:13:23 PM »

Page 8 spin!  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #212 on: May 03, 2005, 08:13:43 PM »

I don't know what that says.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #213 on: May 03, 2005, 08:14:23 PM »

Three teams left on The Amazing Race.

Next week - two hour season finale!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #214 on: May 03, 2005, 08:17:20 PM »

I must be living right!  This afternoon I had a lovely business lunch with my mananger and  a venerable producer (on his dime) at the Polo Lounge in The Beverly Hills Hotel.  I had barely returned from it (with a pit stop at Amoeba), then I got a phone call from BK inviting me to dinner with him, Ms. Minoff, and Ms. Hansen at Musso & Frank's.  Given my ample and recent lunch, I alas had to decline.  A few hours later, Harlan Ellison and his lovely wife, Susan, invited The Lovely Wife and me to a spur-of-the-moment dinner.  Alas again, The Lovely Wife was not home from her business day and I was happily ensconced with the pets in lounging clothes, so I again declined.

Happy successful conclusion to your and Mr. Haines' recording sessions, BK!  Sorry to hear about your negative Musso's experience...I hope this does not bode ill, coming so hard on the heels of the decline of your short-lived, but once beloved Schwab's.  There's always the Cat & The Fiddle and Du-par's!  And The Smokehouse!

Jed

« Reply #215 on: May 03, 2005, 08:18:50 PM »

From what I recall of our Dear Reader geography, I think I'm safe in saying this...  
After starting this new test scoring project at work today, I am dismayed by the academic level displayed by the 3rd and 4th graders of New Jersey.

(From what I hear from another group of scorers across the room, 10th graders from North Carolina aren't much more impressive at the moment... maybe they need you back, MattH)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #216 on: May 03, 2005, 08:22:31 PM »

The future of our country.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #217 on: May 03, 2005, 08:22:56 PM »

Jane, I think there are certain roles where Bette's theatricality works...ALL ABOUT EVE, MR. SKEFFINGTON, JEZEBEL...some others, I can't think of...and she's just fine!  Then there are others...I was watching a bit of ELIZABETH & ESSEX the other night and she just seemed over the top...And I'm a guy who likes theatricality and over the top.

My favourite Davis role may be in JUAREZ.  Of course, she is given staunch support from the impeccable Brian Aherne who is warm and brilliant as Maxmillian and could have won the Academy Award for best supporting player that year as far as I was concerned.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #218 on: May 03, 2005, 08:23:02 PM »

LOL DR CP - most people NEVER even receive the type of invitations you turn down.  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #219 on: May 03, 2005, 08:24:16 PM »

I am hot and cold on Davis.  But when I like her in something, she is terrific.  And nobody can be bad (or BAD) like Bette can be.

MBarnum

« Reply #220 on: May 03, 2005, 08:30:15 PM »

Well, I sort of struck out on my DVD buying today...got SNOW WHITE AND THE 3 STOOGES (for $7.99!) and WITH SIX YOU GET EGGROLL...but no one had THE BEST OF EVERYTHING or  HELL'S BLOODY DEVILS! Imagine that!

I am so tired I can't even think of anything else to post about ...so I am gonna grab a snack and flop in front of the TV for awhile then go to bed.

Jed

« Reply #221 on: May 03, 2005, 08:34:03 PM »

Cici Sampson, checking in.  Cici was my first hamster, the first pet I owned all by myself.  The first family pet was a basenji named Twerp...and I flat out refuse to use it :)

Hmmm... I sense a new nickname around the apartment...  ;D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #222 on: May 03, 2005, 08:34:26 PM »

A couple of days ago, I ordered the first ever CD release of "Two's Company" with Bette Davis.  I've had the album for a couple of years and even made my own CD of it.  Deepdiscountcd.com had it cheaper than just about anywhere, so I got it.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #223 on: May 03, 2005, 08:35:29 PM »

My birthday is 05-05-05(!) and I know I'm going to get money.  Why not pre-spend it?? ;D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 08:36:04 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #224 on: May 03, 2005, 08:39:51 PM »

Good Evening!

What a lovely number of posts to come home to!

All I have left at/in my old apartment are my clothes.  I need to pack a suitcase for the rest of my week here at Steve's, then put the rest in my storage unit until next Monday when I head up to DC.

Cleaning out my pantry went a lot faster than I thought it would.  Anything that was not opened went into bags designated for the MCC Food Pantry.  Anything that had already been opened went into bags that I will take up to Fairfax next week or into the trash.  *The lady at the MCC seemed very pleased and surprised with my donation.

Then I boxed up the remaining stuff in my bedroom and did a few loads of laundry.  I made a run over to the storage unit to put the new boxes o'stuff in, and then took a brief break for late afternoon lunch.

Then it was time for sound check.  Easy-peasy.  And it was great seeing everyone again.  *I'll be playing tour-guide later in the week for a couple of people in the company.  :)

Then a break for dinner, and then the evening show.  It went very well, and I was actually surprised at how easy it was to get back into the Keys 4 book.

And now I'm back at Steve's a-reading and a-posting...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2005, 08:41:20 PM »

OH, by the way...

Princess Kennedy

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2005, 08:41:53 PM »

RECIPROCITY!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #227 on: May 03, 2005, 08:42:56 PM »

DRs JRand and Ginny - FYI - Lauren Mufson (Donna) is on vacation this week.  Her understudy, Anne Tolegpin, is on for her this week.  She's very good too.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: May 03, 2005, 08:44:24 PM »

The Musso experience was very unusual and may have had to do with the earliness of the hour - we were there at five.

I hope that everyone will enjoy the new Haines disc - we've done the best we can do, and then we can only hope it pleases.  Next up - the mix.

I will post some photographs as soon as I get them uploaded into iPhoto.

Michael

« Reply #229 on: May 03, 2005, 08:49:07 PM »

I had read that Albee wanted Bette Davis and James Mason to do the film version of WAOVW
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #230 on: May 03, 2005, 08:50:09 PM »

Lisa Mandel....baby.

As if you needed to do more of it, DRJOSE....get in the Mamma Mia Rag Bag.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #231 on: May 03, 2005, 08:50:26 PM »

We want photos!!!

Michael

« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2005, 08:54:37 PM »

Question:

Three Haley Mills films were released today by Disney. Summer Magic in widescreen, but That Darn Cat and In Search of the Castaways are full screen. Were they originally released this way?

Also MGM has released Krakatoa East of Java at 131 minutes although the original release was 136. (Those five minutes might be the overture, entr;acte or exit music) It said it is wide screen, but nothing about being formated for widescreen tvs
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #233 on: May 03, 2005, 08:56:18 PM »

IDOL:

Lieber and Stoller songs for the first half of the show, and Bo Bice tore up "Stand By Me." In fact, he nailed both of his songs tonight, the only one of the five remaining who I felt gave superb performances on both songs.

Anthony's "Poison Ivy" was weak, but he did better with the second song.

Scott did just fine with "On Broadway" and also OK on his second song, but as usual with Scott there were missed notes.

Once again, Randy and Paula propped up Volzell Solomon who I felt had the two shakiest performances of the night. They both deemed both efforts "perfect," but neither one was anywhere close to perfect. Lots of wrong notes and terrible breath control.

Carrie did fine with her first song, but the second one was all over the place with a head note near the end that was painfully off pitch.

I think Anthony will be going home.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #234 on: May 03, 2005, 09:02:16 PM »

Neither THAT DARN CAT nor IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS were Panavision movies, but they probably still should have been letterboxed and enhanced for widescreen TVs.

That's more Disney crap like they've done with a lot of their popcorn pictures from that era. Something like MARY POPPINS, they'll go the extra mile on, but not a pleasant diversion like THAT DARN CAT.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #235 on: May 03, 2005, 09:07:45 PM »

Wrapped up the  Wheeler and Woolsey watching with the final film recorded last week, and the duo's last ever before Woolsey's untimely death: HIGH FLYERS. They left on a high note indeed, and Lupe Velez would have made a great foil for Woolsey in future films, had Woolsey not died when this film was done filming. They do a great dance number together, "The Gaucho".  Margaret Dumont is also on hand and Jack Carson too. Carson later married Lola Albright, which I'll never understand how he pulled that off. Anyways, that wraps the W&W.
RECIPROCITY!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #236 on: May 03, 2005, 09:08:28 PM »

Neither THAT DARN CAT nor IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS were Panavision movies, but they probably still should have been letterboxed and enhanced for widescreen TVs.

That's more Disney crap like they've done with a lot of their popcorn pictures from that era. Something like MARY POPPINS, they'll go the extra mile on, but not a pleasant diversion like THAT DARN CAT.

This does not bode well for THE BOATNIKS.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #237 on: May 03, 2005, 09:10:17 PM »

Well, it's been one long, but very good today.  I just have about 30 minutes of stuff to take care of at my old place tomorrow, and then I can actually relax for a couple of hours without a packing box in sight!  Until then, I'm gonna get some more sleep.  Sleep is good.

Goodnight.

*Yes, Yes, Yes - I know... I, WUSSBURGER.

*Yes, y
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #238 on: May 03, 2005, 09:11:14 PM »

So how were they shown? In the old  academy format? If not are the DVDs Pan and Scan?
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #239 on: May 03, 2005, 09:16:03 PM »

I think they're open matte, Michael, rather than pan and scan. Disney probably filmed them using the full camera aperture so they could be shown on TV without losing anything. Theater projectionists were probably instructed to matte the film  in the projector to a 1.75:1 or 1.85:1 frame.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up