Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: BAG O' STUFF  (Read 30759 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:BAG O' STUFF
« Reply #240 on: May 03, 2005, 09:36:56 PM »

DR MS - when I saw a LOT of Disney films at the theatre - even though I didn't know from Widescreen at the time - it was always a disappointment when the logo came up and it was a little square in the middle of the screen.  I think a LOT of Disney films were shown in Academy Ratio....

IN SEARCH OF THE CASTAWAYS was one of those I remember....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #241 on: May 03, 2005, 09:37:10 PM »

Depends on what your pet was.....

:)

Sandra, Jr. was a hamster.

Supposedly, right now I'm working on that extra essay, although you'd have a hard time proving that.

Congratulations to BK, Guy Haines, and everybody else who worked on the CD!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #242 on: May 03, 2005, 10:00:46 PM »

Time for to go to bed.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #243 on: May 03, 2005, 10:08:18 PM »

I think they're open matte, Michael, rather than pan and scan. Disney probably filmed them using the full camera aperture so they could be shown on TV without losing anything. Theater projectionists were probably instructed to matte the film  in the projector to a 1.75:1 or 1.85:1 frame.

For "flat" films, the theatrical ratio in this country has always been 1:85.  In Europe it was 1:66.

While these open matte transfers are not as bad as pan-and-scan, they completely destroy the artistry of the framing by giving you way too much headroom and extraneous information at the bottom of the frame.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #244 on: May 03, 2005, 10:08:49 PM »

I'm going out to the Jacuzzi now.  Back in a little while.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #245 on: May 03, 2005, 10:14:37 PM »

I just saw a commercial for DR Charles Pogue's "Hercules."  I hadn't seen one, yet.  It looks quite exciting!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #246 on: May 03, 2005, 10:18:06 PM »

Not quite hot enough yet.  Another ten minutes.

I made a great score today - a complete run of Theater World books, from the beginning through 1996 or so, all with jackets (where appropriate) and all in excellent condition and all for about twenty a volume, which is a GREAT price (some of the early volumes go for hefty money, and even the sixties through the nineties volumes go for forty to fifty a pop if you can find them).  Once I get these, then perhaps our Unseemly Trivia Contest shall return.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #247 on: May 03, 2005, 10:57:28 PM »

Joey is the $3500 you want to raise an accumulative amount beginning with this marathon?  Is there a link to make a donation for you?  I think it is great you plan to run so many marathons.

I believe it is per marathon. I would start much much further in advance if I were to run and try to raise that much. I am going to try to get some other people in on it and hold fundraisers on campus next year. If you want to donate, the link is http://www.justgiving.com/nf1gunn Thanks for asking! :)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #248 on: May 03, 2005, 11:01:21 PM »

Back from the splendidly splendid Jacuzzi.  No steaming shower tonight, no EmergenC, just a normal night doing normal things.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #249 on: May 03, 2005, 11:44:09 PM »

I have most of the Theatre Worlds from the 1944 up to volume 50, which is around '94...though have a few holes here and there.  I'm slowly trying to fill in the holes and know where I can get copies, but I haven't been very ambitious, especially on the ones since 94.  But it's rather amazing to see what was playing in the 50's or the 60's and compare it to the paucity of now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #250 on: May 03, 2005, 11:46:39 PM »

The fifties and the sixties were incredible - fifteen new musicals might open in a single season, along with even more plays.  Theatre World is an invaluable tool for casts, photos, and dates.  I probably have eight volumes, but having a complete collection at twenty a pop and being able to get them all at once, is great.

George

« Reply #251 on: May 03, 2005, 11:57:53 PM »

Dr. Phil has just arrived to the Tonight Show.  I've never watched his show.  Is it any good?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #252 on: May 03, 2005, 11:58:16 PM »

Sound bites as therapy.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up