Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SECOND SESSION  (Read 15607 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SECOND SESSION
« on: May 03, 2005, 11:58:17 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're now officially stoked about tomorrow's anniversary bash, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - their doing a third session on their own, singing Cow Cow Boogie.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 12:00:24 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE SECOND SESSION
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 12:05:41 AM »

And the word of the day is: ALABASTER!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 12:06:02 AM »

I don't have to go to bed early tonight, so where in tarnation IS everyone?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 12:14:44 AM »

I just read all the notes.  "The quickly learned their oohs and aahs..."  "I’m anticipating just Monday and Teusday...."  It must have been a long day for you, BK. ;)

Otherwise, Congrats on the easy recording session!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 12:17:35 AM »

I'm copying a CD for a friend of mine and I'm making a case.  I have to figure out the measurements for the endcard.  I've scanned some pictures and want it all to be just right, but I'm never sure about the measurements because the scanned pictures when compiled are not even the approximate size of a regular CD endcard.  I have to figure the approximate ratio between the width and height.  Doesn't that just thrill everyone?? ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 12:20:37 AM »

I just read all the notes.  "The quickly learned their oohs and aahs..."  "I’m anticipating just Monday and Teusday...."  It must have been a long day for you, BK. ;)

Oops (that's Spoo spelled backwards)!  I must have read it wrong. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 12:21:53 AM »

George, I have NO idea what you are going on about.  Who would ever spell Tuesday Teusday?  Or leave a "y" off "they"?  Certainly not me.

ALABASTER, baby, ALABASTER!

George

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 12:23:35 AM »

That is totally my mistake.  I most humbly apologize! ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 12:24:27 AM by George »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 12:34:51 AM »

ALABASTER!

That is all I'm saying.

George

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 12:35:12 AM »

Ask BK-and-Anyone-Question-Day Questions:

For BK and anyone who makes CDs from records:  when you take records and make CDs of them, do you have any program to clean up the pops or hiss or anything like that?  If you break them up into tracks, do you do it manually or do you have a program/device that does it?  Do you scan the record cover or make just a song list in document?  How much work does anyone put into doing this?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 12:35:53 AM »

I am very tired and yet I do not feel like going to bed.  Add to that that the Mormon Tabernacle Bird Choir is outside singing the score Dreamgirls and, well, would I fall asleep with that caterwauling going on?

George

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 12:40:48 AM »

I used to have the CD to the Dreamgirls Broadway cast recording, but I lost it.  A few days ago, I ordered a new copy of that and Shenandoah.  I've had the vinyl album for years, but I've never listened to it.  Now I won't have to go through the hassle of making a CD from the record.  It was quite inexpensive. :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 01:05:18 AM »

I enjoy the DREAMGIRLS score very much, not so crazy about the show, but I like a LOT of the score.

The sessions sound just wonderful.  

One question for ASK BK day.  Where is the studio where you recorded?  Does it have a pedigree?  Are the walls alabaster?

What is the best studio you ever recorded in?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 01:05:44 AM »

DR GEORGE someday I hope to learn the technology that will allow me to record my LP's to CD.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 01:31:19 AM »

We need to see alabaster photos!

Danise

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 03:41:32 AM »

Good morning!

Just popping by to say I hope everyone has a good day!

No Elmore this morning.  I hope I didn't chase you away.   :(  

Laters all!

:)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 03:50:25 AM »

Here I sit at four in the morning.  I went to bed at one and have been lying there like so much fish ever since.  Most unseemly.  My head became abuzz with play stuff, and then I think the rotten Musso dinner started making me feel a bit queasy and I just couldn't lay there anymore so I got up.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 04:01:00 AM »

The sessions sound just wonderful.  

One question for ASK BK day.  Where is the studio where you recorded?  Does it have a pedigree?  Are the walls alabaster?

What is the best studio you ever recorded in?

We recorded at Westlake Audio, where I've done many sessions here in LA.  Westlake has two facilities, the one we were in on Beverly Blvd. near the Beverly Center (formerly Kiddieland), and one close to La Brea on Santa Monica Blvd.  Bigger sessions were usually done there - like the Petula and Helen Reddy albums, Drat! the Cat!, Night of the Hunter, etc.  

Our favorite LA studio to record bigger sessions in is called O'Henry - it's the best in town really and was the home of Do I Hear a Waltz, and the Sherman Brothers orchestra dates.  I think we did a handful of others there, but I can't remember which - they would have been amongst the very last things we did.  We used Rumbo Recording for quite a while, but it became too much of a jaunt, as it was located in the northwest side of the valley (Rumbo was owned by the Captain and Tenille - they finally sold it a couple of years ago).  In the very early days we used two studios with similar names - Tracks, and Trax.  They were functionable but not great.  We've used an assortment of others for various dates.

In New York, in the early days we used an awful place on 42nd Street, the name of which I've wiped out, but elmore might remember.  That is the studio where I threw one of the only major hissy fits I've ever thrown, which had to do with the engineer (in the days before Vinnie came to NY to do the recording).  Then we used Manhattan Beach, which I still use for vocal dates.  That, by far, was the studio we used most.  For big cast albums we used Clinton, but by the end Clinton had really gone to hell and was just too problematic.  We used the state-of-the-art and hugely expensive The Hit Factory for several of our big cast albums - that, too, seems to have bitten the dust.  We liked Right Track a lot, and from what I understand their new and bigger facility was and is the rival of the old Hit Factory.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 04:01:31 AM »

Maybe I'll take a steaming shower.  I've got to get some sleep at some point or I WILL actually get ill.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 04:38:20 AM »

Have taken my steaming shower and I suppose I'll toddle back to the bedroom environment to see if I can at least get a few hours of sleep in.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 04:39:29 AM »

Oh, my, BK was up late. When I first got here he was still on at just after 7am.

No questions for anyone yet.

George, when we first started making copies of LPs and CDs we put LOTS of work into the label and the card trays, scanning in album material, using different fonts, etc, etc, etc. As much fun as it was and as beautifully  as some of our projects turned out, it's a LOT of work (as you know). Now if I'm making a copy of a CD, unless it's for someone or some special project (like my BBC CDs), I just take a CD Sharpie and write the title on the disc. I will make a photocopy of the book if it's available so I have the information but I don't  do half of what I used to do. I also found out after making copies for some people that there are those who don't want a paper label on their CD. OK, less work for me.

When we do LP to CD transfers we use a friend's dedicated machine. It's a stand alone burner hooked into his stereo system so there is no sound editing software. I have very basic software on my computer so when I record from the Internet or record a cassette tape to the hard drive for burning to a CD I don't have the option of cleaning up or making nice sounding fades or cross-fades or the like. I will probably get some new software the next time we get a new computer but since our little baby is working fine right now I don't see that happening for a while. I also doubt I will change the software I use to record from the Internet since it's so simple and easy to use. It's just shareware but it works like a charm and I'm very happy with it. I could use more full-featured software to fancy up a track or segment once it's recorded but I'm usually happy with the way my recordings turn out.

And on that note (C#) I will leave for a while.

Hi, Larry, Bye, Larry.

Ben

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 04:40:14 AM »

And BK is Back! It's 4:42 in the morning out there!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 04:49:20 AM »

Good morning, all!  DRDanise, sorry I missed you today.  I slept until 7:30 this morning.  I have lab tests for the surgery this morning, can't have any coffee, so I slept in.  I have to leave shortly.  The tests are at 9:00.

Didn't you first use a studio, Dear Friend BK, on 45th Street (I think) between 8th and 9th Avenues? Robert Sher had some connection with the owner there, as I recall.  My memory is that was the studio for Liz and Unsung Sondheim.  I have no memory of where Unsung Musicals was done now, but it was a fast change because of the evil violinist Michelle.  Oy!

Did anyone watch the 2-parter LAW & ORDER last night?  I thought it was good and creepy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2005, 04:49:22 AM »

I'm here, I'm there - got to try to get some shut-eye.

Michael

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2005, 04:51:20 AM »

The Blue movie that you wrote about is that the one with Julliette Binoche that was one of three films made by a Polish director (Others were White and Red)?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 05:03:20 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2005, 04:52:29 AM »

Question for BK:  what the hell are you doing up so late?  Go to bed, young man, or you'll sleep away the day!  Is your adrenalin still going crazy from the past two days?

Hello, DRBen!

Bruce, sleep well.   I'll see you all later.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2005, 04:54:28 AM »

Question for BK:

In today's notes you wrote

And now, I get to run around, be gay and carefree, speak as much as I like, go swimming if I so choose, and go out in the evening if I so choose. Isn’t that exciting?

Does this mean you are happy or coming out?

Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2005, 04:55:44 AM »

Just checking quickly to tell you all that, while school levies were failing all around us, Middletown's passed with a 58% positive vote!  Must be the HHW vibes - thank you all!

Now I'm off to return voter Rob to UC and then to work.

DR elmore - hope the tests go smoothly.  I hate those mornings when you can't even have coffee!  Go have a nice breakfast someplace when you're finished.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2005, 05:02:27 AM »

Another question for BK

I recently upgraded my sound system to a 6.1. Do you know any DVDs that are mixed to accomadate this?
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2005, 05:29:55 AM »

I am very excited about the anniversary tomorrow AND the contest.  Will the question(s) for the contest be in the notes OR on the message board?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up