Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: CRACKING NUTS  (Read 3246 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CRACKING NUTS
« on: April 13, 2021, 12:03:22 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were both cracked and nutty, and now it is time for you to post until the cracked and nutty cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: CRACKING NUTS
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 12:04:01 AM »

And the word of the day is: LUCIDA!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 12:15:55 AM »

~~~VERY Strong Most Excellent Vibes and Xylophones for BK That Everything Works as It Should Toward the End of the Week!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 12:18:17 AM »

So yesterday after work, I went and fed Margo's cats, but didn't see either of them.  Their food from the day before had been eaten, so I'm pretty sure that they're okay...so far. ;) Anyway, I came home and had a little dinner and then went upstairs to read my Kindle while reclining on my recliner, then promptly fell asleep, and I just recently woke up. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 12:19:55 AM »

Now, I need to really go to sleep because I have a dental appointment in the morning.

Have a good day, all!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 12:31:16 AM »

I must say that February 1963 was a hugely important month for me, film-wise. I saw a bunch of movies that I came to love - David and Lisa opened at the Fine Arts, Sundays and Cybele opened at the Beverly Canon, and I saw both films at those theaters many, many times,, Long Day's Journey Into Night at the Huntington Hartford (converted for that film only, then it was right back to being a legit house) How the West Was Won at the Warner Cinerama, Gypsy at the Pantages, The Lion at the Village (well, I was crushing on Pamela Franklin at the time), West Side Story had just begun its general release, which I saw at the Picwood and knew immediately it just wasn't the same experience as the 70mm show. Also, Days of Wine and Roses at the Vogue - all of that probably precluded me from seeing Term of Trial. Also, who knew that the small theater LA premiere of Billy Liar starred David Winters? Not me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 12:40:51 AM »

And, completely out of the blue - allergy attack. Just took a Claritin-D, which will hopefully kick in soon.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 03:08:14 AM »

Good morning, friends.
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 03:09:56 AM »

~~~VERY STRONG MOST EXCELLENT VIBES & XYLOPHONES THAT EVERYTHING WORKS AS IT SHOULD TOWARD THE END OF THE WEEK~~~ for bk!!!!!!
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 03:11:04 AM »

~~~CONTINUED SURGERY VIBES~~~ for DR Jeanne!

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 03:12:11 AM »

:o

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 04:01:21 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 04:06:54 AM »

My unemployment has indeed landed, and I can ordser groceries today.  I am quite happy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 04:28:57 AM »

BK, here's my quick summary of The Nutcracker. The ballet, like Coppelia, is based on a story by ETA Hoffmann (as in the Powell film Tales of . . . Hoffmann's story is quite complicated, and the original ballet scenario that Tchaikovsky used greatly simplified it.  The closest version to that scenario is George Balanchine, whose 1954 City Ballet version is the progenitor of the ballet's greta popularity today, making The Nutcracker a surefire money maker for every ballet company over the Christmas season.

BALANCHINE:
My favorite ever. I first saw it at Lincoln Center on my very first trip to New York at Christmas 1966, and I've seen it live maybe 5-7 times over the past 40 years. I think no one stages the children's scenes better that Balanchine, and the battle between the mice and toys was staged by Jerome Robbins. The movies version is good but two things bother me: the narration and McCauly Culkin, whose father danced for City Ballet and who was cast to give the ballet a star.  The later DVD, taken from a PBS broadcast, has other issues, mainly the color seems to be off and it all looks too dark to me.

THE ROYAL BALLET
I've seen all of their DVDs - I think there are three or four - except for the one with Lauren Cuthbertson, who probably appears only in Act Two as the Sugar Plum Fairy. All DVDs are choreographed by Sir Peter Wright, who keeps tweaking his version in every further production in an attempt to add more of the missing sections of the Hoffmann story to it. He completely cuts the Mother Ginger section of Act Two' I don't know why since he has children in Act One. I prefer his first attempt at the staging before he gussied it up.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:55:34 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 04:50:20 AM »

SAN FRANCISCO BALLET
Like the Cincinnati Ballet production, set in early Cincinnati, this production sets the story in late 19th Century San Francisco, not in early 19th century Nuremberg, and I like it very much.

OTHER
A lot of DVD productions, including the Nureyev and Baryshnikov versions and most of the Russian ones I've seen, try to add Freudian subtext or attempt to make more sense of the ballet by rearranging the score to incorporate more of the original Hoffmann story. My favorite is the Pacific Northwest Ballet's version designed by Maurice Sendak, based on his illustrations for a book published around 1980 and which was filmed as Nutcracker the Motion Picture. I have nol idea how it played onstage since special effects have been added to the movie, but I enjoyed it. The Nureyev and Baryshnikov versions irritate me more than they amuse me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 04:54:46 AM »

For further information on the ballet, I recommend dance critic Jack Anderson's history of the ballet and Roland John Wiley's book on the ballets of Tchaikovsky. Wiley was an advisor on the original Peter Wright production for the Royal Ballet.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 05:01:30 AM »

BK, another great ballet score is Leo Delibes' (composer of Lakme) Coppélia, a cheery ballet based on Hoffmann's sinister tale The Sandman, which is also the source for the Olympia act of Tales of Hoffmann. When I was in high school and a member of the Columbia Record Club, I had an LP of Eugene Ormandy conducting suites from Delibes' ballets Coppélia and Sylvia.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:05:26 AM by elmore3003 »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 05:28:11 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 05:29:33 AM »

There’s also Mark Morris’ The Hard Nut, which I would watch after a traditional version or three.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 05:42:53 AM »

Good morning, all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 05:57:43 AM »

There’s also Mark Morris’ The Hard Nut, which I would watch after a traditional version or three.

I really detest Mark Morris' work.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2021, 06:12:29 AM »

But at least his monogram is symmetrical.

ChasSmith

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2021, 06:15:40 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2021, 06:17:02 AM »

Quite a nutcracking education going on here this morning.

ChasSmith

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2021, 06:18:56 AM »

I have that original Mitropolous recording of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. Love it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2021, 06:24:31 AM »

The lousy mail delivery continues. An envelope with a large WRONG STREET ADDRESS, which should have gone to 101 west 80th Street, sits on the floor and my only mail from yesterday should have gone to 11-1/2 West 84th Street!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:26:26 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2021, 06:28:03 AM »

I have that original Mitropolous recording of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. Love it.

I love all of Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet, but I only like about 50% of his Cinderella score.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2021, 06:30:50 AM »

Tuesday.....we have decided that tomorrow is lawn day.....it's supposed to be only in the 50's so it should be at least comfortable - sort of.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up