Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NEW DICTUM  (Read 15555 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE NEW DICTUM
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 07:55:51 AM »

I loved CLAUDIUS THE GOD even more than I CLAUDIUS.

But my favorite would have to be LITTLE WOMEN.

What's odd is that as much as I loved this book (and I read it more than once), I never got around to reading any of Alcott's other novels. I'd like to think one day I'll be able to get to LITTLE MEN or JO'S BOYS, but with so many thing I have to read here piling up (and many more I want to get to that I haven't even bought yet), who knows if there will EVER be enough time for everything.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2005, 07:56:36 AM »

Speaking of SEUSSICAL, the theater where I'm now doing LA CAGE is doing SEUSSICAL next season.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 07:57:13 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2005, 08:02:34 AM »

RE Jennifer Garner's directorial debut on ALIAS last night.

Well, she did very well. Like many first-time directors, however, she couldn't keep herself from doing some flashy things just for the sake of being flashy - 360 degree pans around two characters talking, shooting up at an actor from below for no good reason.

But it was a fun episode. What I haven't liked in the last few weeks are character strands that start and then get postponed for a week or two. Joel Grey was back last night after two weeks away, and Sonja Bragga, who's been instrumental in the past couple of weeks in what's been going on (and she figures majorly in the season finale as I understand) was missing last night.

One has to be a very loyal viewer to keep these stories in his head from week to week with no follow-up sometimes for several weeks.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2005, 08:10:14 AM »

TOD: Gone With The Wind ~ Margaert Mitchell

Sarum  ~ Edward Rutherfurd
         London ~ Edward Rutherfurd
         Russka ~ Edward Rutherfurd

Fortunes Favorites ~ Colleen McCullough
         The Grass Crown ~ Colleen McCullough
         The First Man in Rome ~ Colleen McCullough
         Caeser's Women ~ Colleen McCullough
         Caeser ~ Colleen McCullough

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2005, 08:17:06 AM »

Good Morning!

I tried to stay up and post last night, but I was basically in a zombie-like, half-asleep mode from midnight to whenever I finally got off the couch and headed upstairs to the bedroom.  It was just recently that I was able to stay up until at least 3:00AM, 4:00AM with no problem, but now...

???

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2005, 08:18:40 AM »

TRUCULENT!

-Didn't we already have this as a Word of the Day?

???

Guess I could search the archives...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2005, 08:27:09 AM »

I love every "juveniel" novel I have ever read by Lousia May Alcott  and Laura Ingalls Wilder.   I didn't know if they counted as historical novels becasue they were basically contemporary at the time they were written.... (well maybe 40 - 50 years  out  for the Wilder books)

Matt H if you like Little Women then you would definitely like Little Men, Jo's Boys, Eight Cousins, Rose In Bloom, Under The Lilacs, An Old Fashioned Girl and  Jack & Jill

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2005, 08:28:09 AM »

As for Historical Novels...

Ken Follett - PILLARS OF THE EARTH - This book was recommended to me by a 12-year old actor I was working with at the time.  I remember buying the paperback while we were working together, but I did not start reading it until a year later or so.  And... WOW!  I had no idea what to expect - except for a long read (lots o' pages!) - but once the story got going... and going... and going... What a wonderful read.  And since I went through a Medieval, castles, etc., phase when I was in high school...

Joseph Conrad - RED BADGE OF COURAGE

Michael Chabon - THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER & CLAY  - Yes, it covers more recent history, but it covers history.

David Leavitt - WHILE ENGLAND SLEEPS - I've always meant to follow up on the whole plagiarism scandal regarding this book.  In any case, I still liked it.

And many more I know that are not coming to my mind right now.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2005, 08:34:39 AM »

Oh, I almost forgot, the Vixter received her  NYSSMA grade yesterday, she received a 27 out of 28 possible points  putting her in the  "Outstanding" category.  She lost one point oin sight reading in  "dynamics".

She's very excited because the SCEMEA (all county chorus) selections are made on the basis of the previous year's NYSSMA score.  As long as there aren't a bunch of "28" scores (unlikely) she should be in again next year..

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2005, 08:41:13 AM »

Favorite "historical" novels:

The Prince and the Pauper -- Mark Twain

Julian -- Gore Vidal

A Nervous Splendor: Vienna, 1888-1889 -- Frederic Morton

« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 08:42:24 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2005, 08:46:54 AM »

And the word of the day is: TRUCULENT!

And TRUCULENT is my current mood as regards the errant and truant, so WATCH OUT.  I am feeling quite volatile right now, oh, yes, I am feeling quite volatile, and when I am feeling quite volatile there is no telling what I might or might not do.
I announced that I would be e&t a few days ago.  What am I supposed to do, bring a note from the doctor?

Sheesh.  (Spelled backwards, that's "hseehs.")

:-*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2005, 08:50:22 AM »

Billion Dollar Brain, directed by Ken Russell.

Not to be confused with The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, starring Kurt Russell.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2005, 08:52:37 AM »

Is anyone else finding posting here this morning "very slow going"?

I don't normally experience this.  Am not having similar sluggishness with any other internet openings/postings.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2005, 08:53:54 AM »

I have much to catch up with.  I may pop in from time to time to make snide comments upon what was written in the past few days.  You have all been warned.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2005, 08:57:19 AM »

I can't say I'm feeling truculent at all today.  A bit peevish, perhaps.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2005, 08:57:45 AM »

...And  as the clock strikes 12... well, Noon...

Time to attend to some "stuff"...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2005, 08:59:12 AM »

I have much to catch up with.  I may pop in from time to time to make snide comments upon what was written in the past few days.  You have all been warned.

Just the sort of challenge my peevish self will welcome.

I hope you don't mind a few snappy retorts/comebacks????

It's all in good fun...eh, what!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2005, 09:02:22 AM »

The truculent me broke down on the road.
I was wondering when something like that would happen.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2005, 09:14:45 AM »

Well... I was planning on heading back down to Richmond in an hour or so, but after looking at the traffic and construction report on the Noon news... Hmmm...

We shall see...

In the meantime, "stuff" is calling me...

Once again, Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2005, 09:18:28 AM »

Is anyone else finding posting here this morning "very slow going"?

I don't normally experience this.  Am not having similar sluggishness with any other internet openings/postings.

Yes!  AND I have been  "kicked off" about three times and lost postinfgs as a result.  Perhaps bk's truculent vibes  have infected the server  

vixmom

« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM »

I have seen  the BBC version  of "I, Claudius" many times, in fact Mr. Vixmom & I bought the video collection after seeing it on  PBS, and then several years later replaced it with the DVD version, but oddly, I never have thought to look for the books it is based on

hmmm I must hie me to a book store AND I have a B & N  gift certificate....

We're going to be in the city Saturday to visit the American Girl Place (so the Vixter can spend her birthday gift certificates) before we meet DR Ben and go to Anthony's play,  should we venture a bit farther uptown  elmore's B &N ?  Will you be ther this Saturday DR elmore or was last Saturday your last day there... I forget....

(I've gotta pick up some of that ginko whateveritis to improve memory only I never remember when I go shopping...)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 09:28:40 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2005, 09:26:33 AM »

I announced that I would be e&t a few days ago.  What am I supposed to do, bring a note from the doctor?

:-*

"Dear bk, Please excuse  DR SWW for being  e& t, he had plans..., signed  DR doctor    ;D  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2005, 09:28:07 AM »

A couple of days ago, DR Jose wrote:
...closing out the season will be a revival of Shenandoah.  Hoo and Ray!  I've always loved this show.  Yes, it may be a bit old-fashioned and treacly in some places, but I always find myself moved by it.
Shenandoah is a favorite of der Brucer's.  I remember one phase he went through, where I finally had to hide the CD because he was playing it so often.  And yes, it may be "old-fashioned and treacly in some places," but so is he sometimes.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2005, 09:29:39 AM »

"Dear bk, Please excuse  DR SWW for being  e& t, he had plans..., signed  DR doctor    ;D  
Thank-you!

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2005, 09:30:37 AM »

I can't say I'm feeling truculent at all today.  A bit peevish, perhaps.  

But are you feeling better?  Have you A/C in your office?

If you are still feeling unwell I can send you some more lovely bunny pictures to cheer you up  :-*

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2005, 09:34:37 AM »

What a great TOD.

At the tippy top of the highest peak of my choices are two books that cannot be mentioned enough:

A TALE OF TWO CITIES by Mr Charles Dickens
GONE WITH THE WIND by Miss Margaret (Peggy) Mitchell

And I will add:

Another vote for THE ALIENIST by Mr Caleb Carr

And add on my own:

THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE by Vincente Blasco Ibanez

CAPTAIN BLOOD , THE SEA-HAWK, SCARAMOUCHE by Rafael Sabatini (All of them as exciting as the movies that were made from them)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

vixmom

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2005, 09:38:11 AM »

Thank-you!

No problem, just send me up a portion of your next scrumptious homecooked meal  ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2005, 09:41:07 AM »

A couple of days ago, DR William F. Orr wrote:
Well, I'm teaching geometry this semester, so how could I pass up the chance to explain the CONICAL Sections:
And if you make the figure using a map of the Golden State, you will have...

...the obvious pun, of course.   ::)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 09:49:33 AM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2005, 09:48:20 AM »

Funny reads:

One of our local writers, Fay Jacobs, has had her collumns collected in book form, titled As I Lay Frying.

If you're feeling cheap (it happens), her writings can be found archived at Letters from Camp Rehoboth.

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2005, 09:49:56 AM »

I caught the last few minutes of Idol last night.  I liked Anthony but I don't think he should have won.  I expected him to go.  And I think he should be pleased with finishing fourth.

As for Alias, I enjoyed last night's show.  Perhaps the show is not as exciting and shocking as it was when he started, but I still enjoy it a lot.  I'm just wondering what the heck they will do if Jennifer Garner is pregnant (which seems likely).  She has such a physical role.

Btw, is this the second week in a row where Sydney didn't go out in the field.  What's up with that?  I can't ever remember seeing an episode before these where she stayed in LA.  I guess if she was directing, she needed less screen time.  But it seems weird for the show's flow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up