Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NEW DICTUM  (Read 15556 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE NEW DICTUM
« on: May 12, 2005, 12:12:56 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know the dictum, the dictum knows you, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home and they WILL be coming home because they also have a new dictum and it is to get the HELL home.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 11:58:59 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE NEW DICTUM
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 12:15:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: TRUCULENT!

And TRUCULENT is my current mood as regards the errant and truant, so WATCH OUT.  I am feeling quite volatile right now, oh, yes, I am feeling quite volatile, and when I am feeling quite volatile there is no telling what I might or might not do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 12:40:44 AM »

Historical novels:  Doctorow's "Ragtime", "Loon Lake", etc. His books about the  mid twentieth century are excellent too. "The Book Of Daniel" and "World's Fair" are wonderful also.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 12:44:30 AM »

Well, I have absolutely no desire to visit Palookaville, no, none whatsoever, so here I am to pull my weight, tote that barge, etc. etc.

Yesterday afternoon, I heard very loud rock music across the street. I thought someone had a car stereo at a ridiculously high level, blasting out "Start Me Up" by the Rolling Stones. When I stepped out on my balcony to see who the idiot was, I was amazed to see limos, police, and news crews up and down the street. Turns out, THE ROLLING STONES were actually live and in person, on a balcony above 65th St. at Lincoln Center. They also performed "Brown Sugar" and a new song from their new album. That's how they announced their upcoming world tour!

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 12:47:01 AM »

Anyone else going to see Drat! the Cat! at Musicals Tonight this evening? Love the BK produced studio cast recording.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 12:52:25 AM »

I have heard tell that it is not done very well (Drat! The Cat!).  It's a star vehicle and for some reason this cast features no one I've ever heard of, and has only piano accompaniment, if I've heard correctly.  This show cannot work well like that - it was not designed to be that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 12:52:42 AM »

TRUCULENT, baby, TRUCULENT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 12:53:03 AM »

Has anyone seen the made for TV Harry Palmer movies?  I didn't know they existed.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 01:06:26 AM »

Historical novels:

Hawaii by James Michener
Trinity by Leon Uris
Shogun by James Clavell
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 01:09:09 AM »

Sorry to hear about Drat! The Cat!
Well, I've got tickets, so I'm going.

TRUCULENT!
And now, Dino on the piano.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 01:15:32 AM »

Dino ON the piano?  Hmmm.  Who's playing for him?

I suppose I shall now toddle off to the bedroom environment for my beauty sleep.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 03:46:18 AM »

Good morning, all!  This morning's the final day of the pre-surgical countdown:  meeting with the surgeon at 9:15, then off to Rodgers & Hammerstein to finish up (hopefully) SHOWBOAT.  Yesterday was a good day, once the computer got itself under control.  I spent a pleasant morning at the recording office, then the NYPL Theatre Collection looking at obituary files for information on the original 1903 BABES IN TOYLAND cast, and then a couple of hourse working on liner notes.

TOD:
   Mary Renault's THE KING MUST DIE and THE BULL FROM THE SEA
   Robert Graves' HERCULES, MY SHIPMATE and KING JESUS
   Margaret Mitchell's GONE WITH THE WIND
   Doctorow's RAGTIME
   Caleb Carr's THE ALIENIST
   Alexandre Dumas' THE THREE MUSKETEERS

I'm sure I've missed something of major importance to my mental contentment, but this is all I can think of at the present.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 03:48:01 AM »

And I did!

Charles Dickens' A TALE OF TWO CITIES.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 04:21:16 AM »

Fav Historical Novel: The Old Testement

Also liked The Three Musketeers.

Question what exactly is a historical novel?
Are the Benjamin Kritzer novels historical?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 04:25:38 AM »

Gone with the Wind was published around 1935 70 years or so after the civil war and there were I am sure some people who lived through it were still around. Would they consider it a historical novel?

Why am I asking all these questions so early in the morning?
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 04:44:15 AM »

Historical novels that I like, that have not already been mentioned:

Gone to Soldiers, by Marge Piercy
High Hearts and Dolly, by Rita Mae Brown
Those Who Love, by Irving Stone
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 05:08:10 AM »

After finally falling asleep around three because of the stupid Mormon Tabernacle Bird Choir singing the Carmina Burana, I then had what must have been five nightmares in a row, and brother do I mean nightmares.  I think this stems from the fact that I was thinking about the mayhem in this play I'm doing.  That and too much Chinese food late at night.   Whatever it was, here I am at five in the morning, up and at 'em.  I shall try to go back to sleep in a bit.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 05:24:06 AM »

Oh, my, the bird chorus may be bitch-slapped because I see Mr. BK is still up at 8:25 NY time which is 5:25 LA time.

I got very caught up in The Alienist and I'm a big fan of Dicken's work as well.

So much to do here at the office today. I will be back.

BK - GO TO BED (I feel like your mother)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 05:24:44 AM »

The truculent me broke down on the road.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2005, 05:29:54 AM »

I'll go back to bed shortly.  I'm trying to shake all these dreams out of my system.  Maybe it was my new dictum that caused the dreams.  Maybe it was my being TRUCULENT!

Kerry

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 05:42:50 AM »

Dan (the Man)-- I know groaning is not allowed, but it is most in order.

A TRUCULENT dictum?  Hmmmmm.......

I'm going to have to look through my library and think on this one.  There was a good one about Camille Pissarro and some of the Impressionists a few years ago, and I can't think of the title at the moment.  It was more of a novel than a biography.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2005, 05:51:58 AM »

DR Ben, I was just about to mention Caleb Carr's The Alienist, along with his The Angel of Darkness.

I, Claudius is certainly on the list.  I also enjoyed The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2005, 06:05:16 AM »

Just returned home from seeing a performance of "Suessical". A School performance and a great one at that. Why would anyone want to see Lion King when this show has so much heart? Colin and I went to the show with OzDerek.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2005, 06:08:17 AM »

Still not asleep.  And now it's light out.  Oh, well, perhaps later I'll fall asleep on the sofa like so much fish.

I remember being quite fond of Anthony Burgess' Nothing Like the Sun.  I enjoyed Marilyn Todd's historical and amusing mystery, I, Claudia.  

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2005, 06:13:57 AM »

Like the kid asks in NIGHT OF THE HUNTER when Mitchum reappears to menace them anew...

"Don't he ever sleep?"

Ben

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2005, 06:47:24 AM »

Well, it looks like our fearless leader has gone back to bed or at least gone off line.

I'm listening to an album from the 60s done by the lovely Leslie Uggams. It was sent to me a couple of years ago by a lovely man in the land of Oz! Thanks Tom. It's so nice to listen to this while I'm working. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2005, 07:13:41 AM »

I cannot believe I can toss out two excellent and obscure historical novels by Robert Graves and totally ignore his magna opera, I CLAUDIUS and CLAUDIUS THE GOD! I'm TRUCULENT over my mental lapses.

Back from the surgeon.  Monday and Tuesday promise to be tons of hilarity and mirth, and I cannot tell you all how much I'm dreading them, most likely Wednesday as well.  I decided to forego Roders & Hammerstein today in an effort to finish my cruise ship project.

Back later!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 07:14:17 AM by elmore3003 »

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2005, 07:26:10 AM »

Sorry about the wodescreen yesterday , I see bk or someone else managed to delete that posting.  I intended to come back and delete it after I was resized by some kind soul (thanks Jack!)

I had to run becuse I had an appointment to donate blood (somthing I have been doing regularly  since I was 18 )  but for some odd reason I became extremely  lightheaded and dizzy this time.   After a while I felt well enough to drive  home, but then it hit me again.  Mr. Vixmom thought it was because I hadn't eaten since lunchtime so he took us out to the IHOP for  dinner.

When we got home around 9:30 I felt totally drained, went rigt to bed and slept until after 7 this morning (I usually wake up before the alarm goes off at 6:30, this time I slept right through it!)

I hope I am not coming down with anything and that I donated "tainted" blood!

I feel well enough , just extremely tired.....
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2005, 07:48:20 AM »

I went to bed early last night so that I could get to work early and I did!  I've been here since about 7:15.  I just wish that I could do that every day...but I know that I can't.  I've never been a morning person.  Just had to share! ;D

I will have to think about the historical novels that I might have read.  I don't recall reading any in a long time...if at all. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2005, 07:53:19 AM »

Back from the surgeon.  Monday and Tuesday promise to be tons of hilarity and mirth, and I cannot tell you all how much I'm dreading them, most likely Wednesday as well.
Back later!

Poor elmore,  at least this will resolve the long term problem.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up