Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NEW DICTUM  (Read 15554 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE NEW DICTUM
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2005, 09:59:05 AM »

I thought Anthony got sent home.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2005, 09:59:18 AM »

A couple of days ago, DRRodzinsky wrote"
Christina Applegate getting nominated for a Tony is kind of silly. I'm sure she worked very hard to come back from her injury, but by all accounts her singing and dancing were subpar, or at least well below the standards of her temp replacement.
This is a case of someone being rewarded for not heeding their own limitations.
Or, as the old dictum goes, "You'll go out there a trooper, but you'll come back a limping trooper."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2005, 10:00:49 AM »

DtM posted a website yesterday about the technology of using a laser (wolf) to play vinyl albums.  VERY INTERESTING.

Like DR RODZINSKI - I have been reading about this for years, but the cost was astronomical.  Maybe someone is working to bring it into the average home someday (soon).....wouldn't that be great?

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2005, 10:03:02 AM »

I thought Anthony got sent home.

He did.  I meant I didn't think he was good enough to win the competition.  He placed fourth. But there are only 3 left.  Hence he went home.

(sorry if I confused anyone).

Btw, I thought 140+ posts was good. I didn't realize we were gonna get spanked for it. :(

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2005, 10:04:03 AM »

Sorry, I was not here yesterday.  I finally watched the three-hour version-cut-down from-four-hours of my mini series HERCULES that airs Monday night.  My exec had warned me I would be shocked by the severity of the cuts. An understatement.  I needed all yesterday to recuperate

Historical fiction is one of the genres I collect. I've seen many of my favs already here on the rolls.  JULIAN; HERCULES, MY SHIPMATE; The Mary Renault books like THE KING MUST DIE, BULL FROM THE SEA,THE MASK OF APOLLO.  Vixmom, you didn't list the last of the McCullough Rome series...THE OCTOBER HORSE.  Have you read it yet?  The is a terrific series!

I'm quite fond of Rafael Sabatini's historical novels and have one of the best collections I know in America.  A few years ago, I was asked advice on certain editions for FIRSTS magazine.  The dust-jacket that is in the booklet of Rudy Behlmer's notes for THE BLACK SWAN soundtrack is a xerox of mine that I made for Rudy.

My new historical fiction god of the last 10 years is British writer, Henry Treece.  He wrote some excellent novels about ancient Greece: The Amber Princess(about Electra); The Eagle King (Oedipus); and Jason.  He also wrote a series of great books about early Britain...Red Queen, White Queen (about Boudicca); The Great Captains (about a very primtive Arthur & Merlin); The Dark Island (about Caratacus); The Green Man (taking Hamlet back to its origins); and a play about Edward II, The Carnival King.  He also wrote many wonderful historicals for young readers, which I also collect, because Treece does not at all write down to children and his books for them are just as dark and brooding and violent as his more mature work. He loves to deal with "the dying fall". He was also poet; so his prose is quite wonderful.  Great forgotten writer.

I have several historical novels by Edison Marshall...notably The Earth Giant (about Hercules); The Pagan King (Arthur); and The Vikings (on which the Kirk Douglas movies was based).

I have a large selection of purely Arthurian literature which includes much fiction and the same for Richard III, which includes many novels on the subject.

The same is true of my Jack the Ripper collection, many fiction volumes on the subject.

I've lots of Harold Lamb...both fcition and non.  I like his Curved Saber, stories of Khlit the Cossack and his DURANDEL...about Roland's sword and the knight who comes to possess it.

I have a signed 1st edition of SPARTACUS by Howard Fast, but haven't read it yet.

The best historical I've read in the last couple of years is THE EAGLE & THE RAVEN by Pauline Gedge, huge thick saga of the Roman occupation of Britain and the resistance by Caractacus and Boudicca.

Jose, on the recommendation of a friend I bought Pillars of The Earth. I haven't read it yet.

I've also got a few Frank Yerby that I've never read.

I also like historical mysteris...The Roman Blood series by Steven Saylor; the Roman series about Marcus Falco Didius by Lindsay Davis; a series about Nicholas Bracewell, a prompter for an Eliizabethan theatre company, who solves mysteries, the Sir John Fielding mysteries; Bernard Cornwell just wrote a good one called GALLOWS THIEF about a man who solves crimes in Regency England; and T.F. Banks has started a series about a Bow-Street Runner which looks promising, the first book is called THE THIEF-TAKER.

Jennifer

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2005, 10:04:44 AM »

Btw, had a very nice dinner last night.   And my aunt and uncle are so kind.  They gave me all their leftover food (delicious pork fried rice, general taos, chicken soo guy).  And I also had much of my tempura.  So basically it will be enough for 3 meals (they give huge portions).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2005, 10:12:16 AM »

I was wondering when something like that would happen.

It was only a matter of time.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2005, 10:14:01 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Got back in bed just before seven and within ten seconds of my head hitting the pillow I was out.  Pleasant dreams, too.

MattH: That is exactly my dissatisfaction with this season - they just pull these outrageous things to keep viewers hooked, and then they let them die (in the case of Joel Grey) - then when it looks like it didn't work, they bring him back for some juice.  It's ridiculous and not what they did in the first or even second season.  As to Miss Garner's "direction" - you can be certain that the director of photography was very helpful and that she just did things that she's seen others do - the DGA ought to have a rule about his stuff.

Pogue, hope you've recuperated, but I would bet that what's left onscreen is cherce.  And the uncut version will be shown, so that's good, and that's what they'll release (highly trumpeted) on the DVD.  Now, about the DVD - you ought to have your agent or your exec get you in on the special features, which they'll undoubtedly do.

Were you happy with Mr. Young's work?  The cast's?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 10:14:48 AM by bk »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2005, 10:15:18 AM »

Well DR CP -  sorry for your HERCULES....

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2005, 10:17:30 AM »

Vixmom, you didn't list the last of the McCullough Rome series...THE OCTOBER HORSE.  Have you read it yet?  The is a terrific series!

No, I shall have to get it. I was looking for it for a while and then finally gave up thinking it never got writtten.  I shall go and look for it ASAP

I
Bernard Cornwell just wrote a good one called GALLOWS THIEF about a man who solves crimes in Regency England

How could I forget Bernard Cornwell?! I love the entire Richard Sharpe series, we first got hooked on these when the  BBC production played on PBS,  (we now own the whole series on DVD)  and then I  read all the books as well.  There was also another Bernard Cornwell novel I read about a British soldier stationed in the US colonies during the revolution , darned if I can remember thename of it at the moment., oh wait, I think its called Redcoat,  it was very good.

There was also a book called the  Autobiography of Cleopatra that was very interesting, I read it right after Caeser by Colleen McCullough and fit right in as if it were part of her series, danged if I can remember who wrote it..  
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2005, 10:17:58 AM »

Pretty cool.  Blogs for the new RENT film:

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/rent/blog/

vixmom

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2005, 10:23:18 AM »

Sorry, I was not here yesterday.  I finally watched the three-hour version-cut-down from-four-hours of my mini series HERCULES that airs Monday night.  My exec had warned me I would be shocked by the severity of the cuts. An understatement.  I needed all yesterday to recuperate

Did they leave in the "Hercules"  character at all?

I meant to mention that my cablevision guide came in the mail yesterday and there is a quarter page ad on Monday for the your Hercules.  I was dismayed to see its scheduled against the series finale of  "Everyone Loves Raymond", not because I watch "Raymond", I don't, but I imagine these much heralded  "last in the series" shows are huge ratings draws and may hurt your first night's ratings.

When is the full version being shown on SciFi?

vixmom

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2005, 10:24:32 AM »

Btw, I thought 140+ posts was good. I didn't realize we were gonna get spanked for it. :(

He's very strict, bk is.  ;)

vixmom

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2005, 10:29:30 AM »

Pretty cool.  Blogs for the new RENT film:

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/rent/blog/

I didn't even know it was being made into a film

nobody tells me anything

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2005, 10:35:39 AM »

I haven't noticed any sluggishness.

Jennifer: No amount of posts is bad - we've just been having many more recently, and I like reading them.

I haven't noticed any sluggishness.

elmore, we are all here for you.

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2005, 10:35:49 AM »

Since Caleb Carr's books have been mentioned several times, here's a link to a story in today's NY Times about the home he has just built:

www.nytimes.com/2005/05/12/garden/12Carr.html

I also, upon re-reading the specifications for today's TOD, realized that I committed a "rules violation:"  Marge Piercy's Gone to Soldiers, is set during World War II, not pre-1920's as requested by BK.  Mea culpa (it's still a good book by one of my favorite authors).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 07:01:56 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2005, 10:46:26 AM »

Hi  vixmom-
     I was introduced to the American Girl dolls and books last night, as my friends have a daughter who has just turned 8.
We read a bit of Felicity's Surprise before she went to bed, and I was very impressed with how much history these girls learn from reading the AG books.
I must say, I don't like the sound of Felicity's mother's cough. I have a very bad feeling about that........ :-\
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 11:02:26 AM by Iris212 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2005, 10:55:24 AM »

Flight is booked (and got my bulkhead aisle seat in advance - hoo and ray), but am just missing out on being able to fly out of Burbank rather than Long Beach. Now I must find a hotel.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2005, 10:57:39 AM »

But are you feeling better?  Have you A/C in your office?

If you are still feeling unwell I can send you some more lovely bunny pictures to cheer you up  :-*

Am feeling same.  Better sleep last night.  Office hot today, but there is hope as the much-needed, had-to-be-ordered-from-Michigan replacement part arrived late yesterday.  Of course, it has to be successfully installed.  They are claiming we'll have A/C by noon today.

We shall see.

About "I, Claudius" the book.  The BBC series was EXTREMELY faithful to Robert Graves' novel.  It should be a "model" (in fact, it and "Brideshead Revisited") for novel-to-screen adaptations.  Reading the book, you literally can recall the TV series...alll the great dialogue, etc.

As for more bunnies.....

NO-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!

Why on earth would you do such a thing?
(Do any of our former "Buffy" watchers recall Anya's aversion to bunny rabbits????)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2005, 10:57:52 AM »

Site is refreshing a bit slowly for me....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2005, 10:58:34 AM »

The delay times I'm experiencing on this site are 10-25 seconds in duration.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2005, 11:06:52 AM »

As for more bunnies.....

NO-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!

Why on earth would you do such a thing?
(Do any of our former "Buffy" watchers recall Anya's aversion to bunny rabbits????)
Yes, I recall Anya's aversion.  But maybe Vixmom was referring to Playboy Bunnies.

Not everyone is into beefcake.

8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2005, 11:06:58 AM »

Casting notices are up, and it looks like the next Disney Broadway musical will be Tarzan, with music and lyrics by Phil Collins. I was kind of hoping it would be The Little Mermaid.
According to Variety, Jamie Foxx, Usher, and Beyonce have been cast in the film version of the Broadway musical
"Dreamgirls", directed by Bill Condon. Foxx will portray Curtis Taylor Jr. and Usher has been cast as C.C. White.

vixmom

« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2005, 11:07:10 AM »

Hi  vixmom-
     I was introduced to the American Girl dolls and books last night, as my friends have a daughter who has just turned 8.
We read a bit of Felicity's Surprise before she went to bed, and I was very impressed with how much history these girls learn from reading the AG books.
I must say, I don't like the sound of Felicity's mother cough. I have a very bad feeling about that........

I am not very familiar with Felicity (from the Revolutionary War period for those not inthe know)  the Vixter  has Kaya, a Native American from the late 1600's ,  Kirsten,  a Norwegian immigrant to Minnesota in the mid 1800's and  three of the American Girl Today dolls, 2 of which have no stories, and the third one, Marisol, who moves from Chicago to a local suburb

I agree though, any  pre-1960 coughing is a baaaaad sign!  
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 11:12:31 AM by vixmom »

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2005, 11:07:42 AM »

Wishing you the best of health, dear elmore.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2005, 11:12:48 AM »

BTW, Dino actually was ON the piano last night. The birds had kept him awake the night before, so he was catching up on some much needed sleep. :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 11:13:47 AM by Iris212 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2005, 11:13:31 AM »

Good vibes to DR ELMORE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MBarnum

« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2005, 11:14:53 AM »

I am afraid I don't know from historical novels...my tastes are more mid-20th century, I guess.

The sight has been VERY sluggish for me the last two days accessing it from work...for most of yesterday I could not even get to the posts...just only the home page.

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2005, 11:16:26 AM »

Best of health vibes to DR Elmore3003!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]  :)  :)  :)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  ;D   :o  :o  8)  8)  :-*   :-* [/move]

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2005, 11:17:27 AM »

I am listening to some lovely musical CDs courtesy MR DR Tomovoz! Thanks Tom!!!!

Volare!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up