Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BLUE SKIES SMILIN' AT ME  (Read 13497 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:BLUE SKIES SMILIN' AT ME
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2005, 01:29:47 AM »

PAGE 2 DANCE!! ;D

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2005, 03:53:16 AM »

My choice for sci fi book would be The Andromeda Strain. I was a 8 or 9 when I read it and I thought it was true.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2005, 04:05:13 AM »

I must have been one of the few people that bought the cast album of Inside Out,

Below is the cover of the original release.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2005, 04:12:46 AM »

And here is the back cover with the very samll print
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2005, 04:19:23 AM »

and the inside
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2005, 04:46:02 AM »

Good morning, all!   I'm moving slowly this morning; when the alarm went off at 6:00 my right calf was indisposed with a charleyhorse, so I'm off to market for some potassium, limping a bit, but very positive about the whole megillah.  I used to have them quite often but this is my first charleyhorse in some time.  What a strange word!

I want to take some flowers to my coworkers Val, Sarah, Patty, and Tara at B&N, and then I'm off to the recording office.  We're into the middle of act two, second proof of the new orchestra score, and I'm hoping this week we get clearance on examining some archival materials from around 1908.  Things are loking good for a Christmas release of the recording, and I hope my next six weeks are tied up with tying up all the loose ends on the recording.

My other good news is that I've finished the cruise ship acts!  

Hello, DRMichael Shayne!

DRJose, thanks for the phone call.  It was nice to hear your voice last night, and I'll try to call you over the weekend.

I was never much into reading sci fi, preferring fantasy.  I loved the first half of STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND and loathed the second half so much that I never finished it.
Others I've read:  
  H.G. Wells THE TIME MACHINE and WAR OF THE WORLDS
  Madeline L'Engle's A WRINKLE IN TIME
  John Wyndham's DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS and THE MIDWICH CUCKOOS

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2005, 05:33:06 AM »

I bought the original "Inside Out" also.  I have yet to be able to decipher the liner notes.  Besides the type being so small, as I recall it also done in red on white, white on red, black on red, etc.-- all within the same word!  Oy!  If the notes were written by someone like Bruce or Guy Haines, I might try to read it, but.....

"The Martian Chronicles" is a classic.  I liked the Madeline "L'Engle books too. "A Wrinke in Time" holds up well.

I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2005, 05:35:46 AM »

After reading the posts and seeing the pics from Michael Shayne, I was wrong about there being different colors of type in the same word, but the rest is as bad as I remember it.

I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2005, 07:34:09 AM »

I'm not much of a modern sci-fi reader, but I do like THE TIME MACHINE and WAR OF THE WORLDS. And, about 20 years ago, I read CHROME since it had a gay leading character.

But it's not my favorite genre.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2005, 07:41:36 AM »

The major networks still have glitches in broadcasting Dolby Digital 5.1 sound to go with their HDTV broadcasts. For a while, NBC was having trouble, it's happened to ABC on occasion, and last night during NUMBERS, CBS was hurting.

What's been happening is that the center and front sound channels have been silent with only the rears producing any sound. Thus, you couldn't hear any dialogue and all that was coming out of the rear speakers were ambient street noises and music cues. Eventually, CBS switched to its standard definition analog broadcast with a Dolby surround soundtrack on its HDTV bandwidth. They never did get it fixed. They'd try it, it was all fouled up, the voices were always missing, so they'd have to switch back to standard analog picture , and by about 10:35, they just gave up trying to fix it and showed the rest of the episode in standard definition so it would have a fully operating soundtrack.

Weird.

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2005, 07:46:28 AM »

Favorite science fiction books:

THE BIG EYE by Max Ehrlich (1949)

THE DAY THEY H-BOMBED LOS ANGELES by Robert More Williams (1961)

I have several sci-fi paperback books from the 50s which I have not yet read.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2005, 07:46:54 AM »

There was some talk earlier in the week about the upcoming ALEXANDER DVD set and how Stone was going to cut out all of the gay elements blaming them on the film's poor box-office showing. Well, that is not quite right. Here's the story, copies from a press release on thedigitalbits.com:

"The big news today is that Warner has finally announced the DVD release of two versions of Oliver Stone's Alexander to street on 8/2. The first will be a 2-disc Alexander: Special Edition (SRP $29.95), featuring the 175-minute theatrical version of the film in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Extras will include audio commentary with director Oliver Stone and historian Robin Lane Fox, the Resurrecting Alexander, Perfect is the Enemy of God and The Death of Alexander documentaries, and a featurette on the film's soundtrack, Vangelis Scores Alexander.

Also available on 8/2 will be a 2-disc Alexander: Director's Cut (SRP also $29.95), featuring a 167-minute version of the film ("newly inspired, faster-paced and more action-packed" according to the cover), also in anamorphic widescreen video with Dolby Digital 5.1 and, as far as we can tell, the same extras as the theatrical cut. So yes, the director's cut is actually SHORTER than the theatrical cut. Strange bird that Oliver Stone. A full frame version of the director's cut will also be available."

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2005, 07:50:18 AM »

BK, here is a nifty shot of your Leslie Parrish in an episode of Perry Mason...

Available at this very moment on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60318&item=7515904343&rd=1

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2005, 07:51:11 AM »

Do you know what year Leslie made that PERRY MASON episode, DR MBarnum?

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2005, 07:53:29 AM »

That particular episode was 1964.

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2005, 07:54:55 AM »

Golly, it must be Leslie Parrish day on Ebay this morning..here is another shot of the lovely gal...

up for bid at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60318&item=7516033716&rd=1

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2005, 08:03:31 AM »

Well LA FEMME JOLIE and I have similar taste in SCI FI - my favorite sci fi book is A BOY & HIS DOG by Mr Harlan Ellison, and I also enjoy the short story anthologies he edited called DANGEROUS VISIONS, and AGAIN, DANGEROUS VISIONS.

H.G. Wells, of course - The Invisible Man and War of the Worlds

Ray Bradbury - although he veers near to fantasy in my favorites of his writings.

Arthur C. Clarke and Samuel Delaney.  Jules Verne: From Earth to the Moon and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

I loved sci-fi when I was younger, and now I mostly get that fix from DVD's.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2005, 08:03:45 AM »

I was re-watching EASTER PARADE on the new player yesterday and finally got around to noticing Joi Lansing in the"Happy Easter" sequence. Since this was made in 1948, Joi must have been in her late 30s, early 40s doing those BEVERLY HILLBILLIES episodes in the 1960s. She looked wonderful in them.

Whatever happened to Joi? Is she still alive or has she left us?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2005, 08:03:52 AM »

Why is Leslie sitting on a tea cart?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2005, 08:04:50 AM »

Ah, DRMATTH, I will let MBARNUM give you the bad Joi news.  She was so great in HOT CARS and singing "Web of Love."

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2005, 08:04:53 AM »

Hello to all... been absent from the site for lo, these many weeks... here I am in LA, with family Stuff in abundance. It is a lovely day. I've had a few emails from pals in NYC; that's always fun.

And mostly it's one day at a time, one moment at a time here. A fond greeting to you all, have a swell day.
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2005, 08:05:43 AM »

DR ELMORE you are correct, I didn't have my timeline in order, of course Miss Angela Lansbury couldn't have been in WHERE LOVE HAS GONE or MADAME X because she was in New York City trodding the boards!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2005, 08:06:37 AM »

So many projects that MR BK has going.  Multi tasking is hardly the word.  Thanks DR MS for the lovely artwork link.  Wow!

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2005, 08:29:52 AM »

DRMatth, I am sorry to report that Joi Lansing passed away of breast cancer back in 1972.

She was born in 1929, so yes she was already in her 30s when she did the Beverly Hillbillies...and just about every other sit-com in the 1960s! She was one busy gal juggling a TV/movie career with her work touring nightclubs as a singer.

If you look close you will also see her in SINGING IN THE RAIN, THE MERRY WIDOW, ON THE RIVIERA, TWO TICKETS TO BROADWAY, and several other late 40s and early 50s films.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2005, 08:31:55 AM »

And of course in Red Sparkly Gloves in QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE....watching a space ship take off as her hair blows slightly in the breeze!

Ginny

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2005, 08:37:02 AM »

Good morning, all - it's a dreary, drippy day here in the Ohio Valley.  I'm about to leave with a group of friends to visit the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center on the Cincinnati riverfront.  Will report later.

TOD - Science fiction is not my favorite reading genre, but I am quite taken with Maria Doria Russell's The Sparrow.  It has a sequel, Children of God, which I have not yet read.  Also, Marge Piercy, who I mentioned the other day for historical fiction, wrote Woman on the Edge of Time, which fall into the sci fi sub-category of "time slip."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2005, 08:41:40 AM »

DR GINNY there is MORE rain headed your way.  It is almost 11 a.m. here and it hasn't stopped raining ALL morning.

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2005, 08:49:06 AM »

DR GINNY there is MORE rain headed your way.  It is almost 11 a.m. here and it hasn't stopped raining ALL morning.

Well, at least we're going to an indoor site!  This group is my book club, and we thought about going to Ripley, OH, the setting of one of our favorite books, Beyond the River, by Ann Hagedorn.  It would be yucky to tromp around John Rankin's hillside home in the rain!  Thanks for the weather forecast, such as it is, DR JRand.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2005, 09:18:04 AM »

LOL....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2005, 09:19:07 AM »

What a nice image to wake up to - Leslie Parrish and an epee.  Perhaps I'll go bid on those pix.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up