Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BLUE SKIES SMILIN' AT ME  (Read 13385 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BLUE SKIES SMILIN' AT ME
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2005, 09:19:25 AM »

And never forget: OBFUSCATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2005, 09:21:25 AM »

Why don't these sellers just put a nice Buy it Now on these things?  Do they think there's going to be a bidding war?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2005, 09:26:38 AM »

Oh, to be a tea cart!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2005, 09:31:29 AM »

My favorite science fiction writer is Robert Sheckley. He's really more of a humorist who wrote in the science fiction vein. His short stories are just gems.

THE TENTH VICTIM with Marcello Mastroianni and Ursala Andress is based on one of his books.
And his novel IMMORTALITY INC was sadly demolished and turned into the vile FREEJACK with Mick Jagger.

Danise

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2005, 09:32:32 AM »

Hi folks!  I’m sorry I have been E & T.  I had another one of “those” weeks.

I had to work overtime a couple of nights and that really washes me out.  

I hope everyone is doing well.  DR Elmore, the time for your surgery is coming near—you know you have my every wish for a safe and speedy recovery.  I so hope that this time takes care of the problem.

Last night I came home late and intended on posting but when I went out to feed the dogs, I had a baby bird problem.   When I went to get the hose to give the dogs fresh water, there he/she sat, looking up at me with big bright eyes.  

I asked if he could fly and tried to chase it but it was just at the hop/flap/run stage.  I guess he jumped out of the nest to soon.

I knew he couldn’t stay in the back yard because the dogs might hurt it so I made sure the dogs were in their pen then I went in and got a towel.  I used that like a net, caught the little thing and moved it to the front yard.  Both Mama and Papa bird were quite interested in what I was doing with their baby.  

I put him in a bush and went in the house to watch what would happen.  Sure enough,  here came one of the parents to feed him so I hope it all turned out ok.  

I could have kept him but baby birds need to be fed so often and with Mom still not up to snuff, I couldn’t leave it for her to feed  when I go to work so I had to hope nature would help him.

I’ve looked everywhere for the baby this morning but couldn’t find hide nor hair nor feather (which is a good thing, I guess).  I wish him luck.  Such a cute little baby Blue Jay.  

Hard to believe that it was one year ago today I was in Salt Lake City.  Tonight was the first night of Michael Ball’s two concerts.  Today I shall only play his music in honor of this and try to think back and remember the whole concert.

I also have to tell you all about the funny dream I had yesterday.  It was like an underwater movie.  The “camera” or me or whatever was on the bottom, looking upward.  I could see the sun and fish and a submarine moving towards the surface.  Then “I” started laughing to myself and thought, “I wonder where the giant squid is.  There’s ALWAYS a giant squid in these types of movies.”  Sure enough, here he came and attached himself to the sub!  I was really laughing then.  Just then, the alarm went off and I woke up—still laughing.  

You guys should know by know that I am a BIG Science Fiction Fan.  I grew up on the stuff, Frank Herbert, Lester Del Ray, Piers Anthony, etc, etc.  My all time favorite book is “Dune”  

My current reading material includes a book by K.J. Anderson, “Captain Nemo”—which, BTW, has nothing to do with my dream because I forgot all about it until you mention Sci Fi books!  I need to get reading!

Have a GREAT day all!  I need to take the dogs for their walk then go do the weekly shopping.  My life is just to exciting.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2005, 09:34:18 AM »

Of Sheckley, Pogue's pal Ellison is quoted as saying:

"If the Marx Brothers had been literary rather than thespic fantasists ... they would have been Robert Sheckley."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2005, 09:40:48 AM »

I also loved the five-book "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2005, 09:40:51 AM »

And the word of the day is: OBFUSCATE!
Obfuscate sounds familiar.  Was it a word of the day before, or am I confused?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2005, 09:42:13 AM »

Wow - here is a Leslie Parrish photo I bet you have NEVER seen!  :o

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2005, 09:44:44 AM »

"Floride"??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2005, 09:45:25 AM »

I don't think we've had OBFUSCATE before, but who remembers?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2005, 09:47:02 AM »

Yes, Floride Leslie Parrish was the great-grandmother of Leslie Parrish, even though Leslie Parrish's real name is Marjorie Hellen.  Confused?  Don't be.  Floride Leslie Parrish's real name was Floride Marjorie Hellen.  AND, to make it even better, Floride, of course, invented Floride.

George

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2005, 09:52:00 AM »

What a font of knowledge you are, BK! ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2005, 09:54:32 AM »

Well I hope Marjorie kept the patent current on Floride....or would it be a copyright?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2005, 09:54:55 AM »

That is almost an obfuscation.

MBarnum

« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2005, 09:54:57 AM »

Yes, I thought those LP photos might get the old blood stirring in the morning, BK! LOL!

I was afraid, however, that I may have used up the cheesecake quota for the day!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2005, 09:55:55 AM »

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr....I can't access my Yahoo photo albums and YAHOO is NO help.  I hate not being able to send a simple email question, but instead getting sent in circles and circles by clicking and submitting and ending up BACK AT THE SAME DAMN PLACE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2005, 09:56:16 AM »

Serve the teacakes, Loretta.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2005, 09:57:24 AM »

As for Science Fiction books... It's been a while since I've ready any, but here goes...

Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle In Time" trilogy.  I bought some nice hardcover editions of them a few years ago - even though I still have and treasure my original Dell paperbacks - so that I could reread them.  I still have yet to reread them.
There are four books in the Time group: A Wrinkle In Time, A Wind In the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters.

When I was in 8th grade, we read an Arthur C. Clarke book.  -Something where the kids were living below ground.   I can see the book cover in my head - I actually came across it while packing - but I can't recall the title right now.  There was also another Clarke or two on my high school reading lists.  And various Ray Bradbury stories.

Would "Flowers for Algernon" be considered science fiction?
Yes.

And one book which I never read, but loved the title of - and there's also a play of it: "The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds".  Is that correct?  *Please correct me - if I start Googling and Amazon-ing, I'll never get to bed.  Is it even science fiction?
No.

Now one book which I tried and tried to get through was the "first" (or fourth episode) Star Wars book.  I don't know how many times I read that first chapter before giving up.  The text just seemed so dry compared to the movie.
While it had George Lucas' name on the cover, the novelization of Episode IV was actually written by Alan Dean Foster.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2005, 10:09:10 AM »

After a very short time home, we're about to head out again.

Oh, what a busy life I'm leading today!

George

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2005, 10:13:31 AM »

While it had George Lucas' name on the cover, the novelization of Episode IV was actually written by Alan Dean Foster.

When I was in sixth grade (1977-78 school year), I joined the Science Fiction Book Club.  One of the first books I ever got was Alan Dean Foster's "Splinter of the Mind's Eye," which was a story with Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and the rest of the Star Wars gang.  Everyone in my class thought it was so cool!  They all asked if it had pictures (meaning photos, not illustrations) and, sadly, I had to tell them no.  We didn't realize (at the time) that there weren't pictures (again, meaning photos, not illustrations) because it hadn't been a movie! ::)

George

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2005, 10:27:42 AM »

Well, I've finally received the July 1976 issue of "Films and Filming" that I won on eBay.  If you don't remember, it features "The First Nudie Musical" (I posted this censored picture of the cover before...HHW is a family site, after all ;)):

George

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2005, 10:29:03 AM »

There is a 3-page spread (no pun intended!) with photos from the movie.  I scanned the two with our very own BK (I had to censor this one also):

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2005, 10:31:53 AM »

BK, here is a nifty shot of your Leslie Parrish in an episode of Perry Mason...

Yes, this is an epee, BK. I know you get epees confused with foils. My sword in my avatar is a foil. Notice how the blade of the epee is longer and the hand guard is of a different shape, with the blade situated differently. If you were to take a cross section of the blade, you would see that it was triangular, while a foil's blade is rectangular. The balance is also different when you hold it.

And this concludes this site's fencing lesson for today.  :P  ;D ;D
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

George

« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2005, 10:32:33 AM »

I hope that that last one doesn't send people into Cinerama.  I cropped this next one so that it would fit and feature BK more prominently:

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2005, 10:52:59 AM »

Thanks for the photos DR GEORGE.  I hadn't seen them before!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2005, 11:01:34 AM »

Good Afternoon!

WOW!  This has been one of those mornings where I've had so many friends online, and we've - well, I've been chatting with them for the past couple of hours!  It's already 2:00 here on the East Coast, and I have yet to have breakfast/brunch/lunch.  Of course, now I just want to crawl back into bed and take a nap, but that could be because I have not had breakfast/brunch/lunch yet.  So....

I think I'm heading out to get some breakfast/brunch/lunch now...

I shall return.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2005, 11:05:43 AM »

OH...  Since DR Tomovoz will be on hiatus next week or so, I thought I'd change things up...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2005, 11:11:51 AM »

Great Aussie photo, DRJOSE!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2005, 11:18:39 AM »

My other good news is that I've finished the cruise ship acts!  

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up