Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BLUE SKIES SMILIN' AT ME  (Read 13525 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:BLUE SKIES SMILIN' AT ME
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2005, 11:37:19 AM »

And one for Mahler!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2005, 11:38:45 AM »

Danise I’m glad your bird story had a happy ending.  It is best to leave the baby birds.  Often the parents don’t return for a very long period so you want to be sure they aren’t returning before “rescuing” the baby.

Gosh I expected you to have a very long list of books, after DUNE of course. :)

Jane

« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2005, 11:45:06 AM »

Jose, lovely new avatar.  I also loved A WRINKLE IN TIME.

Other favorites that quickly come to mind:
THE FOUNDATION-Asminov   
FAHRENHEIT 451-Bradbury
DUNE-until I finished the series at which time it got to be too much.
THE TIME MACHINE-HG Wells
THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN
THE SPARROW-Mary Doria Russell   (Ginny do read the sequel)

George

« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2005, 11:51:27 AM »

It is a very nice new avatar, Jose!  Well, I must be going.

If anyone's interested (and even if you're not), I made full-sized scans of the four pages (cover and pages 45-47) of Film and Filming Magazine that are the First Nudie Musical article.  If anyone wants me to, I can e-mail you the scans.  Let me know and I'll send them when I get back...which will be later. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2005, 11:53:53 AM »

In all, the four files are 3.41 MB.  Individually, they are 688 KB, 0.98 MB, 870 KB and 931 KB.  If that matters, I can make them smaller, but they'll be more difficult to read.  Again, let me know. ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2005, 12:05:07 PM »

Back again.  

The Animal Rescue group held a yard sale today.  I don't know why they call...

No, that line of joking is too obvious.  Sorry.

There were plenty of tables filled with clothing, books, household stuff.  And there was one Dalmatian, Fletcher, who shamelessly flirted with everyone.  Eventually, even he ran out of energy, content to flop down and just smile at everybody.

While there were plenty of customers, there really wasn't any reason for der B or I to be there (other than to gossip), so we headed home.  After a short while, we had to head back, however, to help clean up the sale location.  This time, we took Peggy along with us.  While she's not the flirt that Fletcher is, she proved to be very popular, too.

We're home again now, but we'll be off again soon enough, taking more pics to put on the 'net, then off to do some shopping.

Busy Saturday.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2005, 12:06:06 PM »

I know I've read plenty of sci-fi over the years, and for some reason I cannot think of any titles or authors.  Brain freeze.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2005, 12:07:48 PM »

Sorry for being errant and truant lately. I have been cleaning and organizing things for my family since I have arrived home. My old room is full of things from my grandmother's apartment, so I had to clean out the office (I called it the pit of despair) and have moved myself in here for the three weeks I am home.

I also wanted to share the bit of good news I told you about several weeks (or maybe it was months) ago but couldn't say anything about yet. http://www.broadway.com/Gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=512249
It's finally public knowledge so there you go! :-D I was bouncing off the walls earlier.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 12:10:18 PM by Joey »
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2005, 12:09:42 PM »

I saw that Vixmom asked yesterday how my fundraising was going. I am $65 dollars away from my goal but there is still 8 days left so I think I can get it if I beg people enough. ;-) Which reminds me I need to email them my address so they can send me my tanktop for the race and the shirts!  :o

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2005, 12:14:05 PM »

Today is National Dance Like a Chicken Day.

I couldn't make this up if I tried.  Honest.   :-\

Jane

« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2005, 12:21:58 PM »

Joey good luck reaching your fundraising goal.

How, or why, did you know about TALE OF TWO CITIES before the rest of us?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2005, 12:31:09 PM »

I know people who always Dance Like a Chicken....no matter what music is playing....or choreography they were given.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2005, 12:31:54 PM »

SWW sounds like you had fun at the Yard Sale.....I always do, too.  Although it was too rainy to go today.

Good news about A TALE OF TWO CITIES - hopefully it will be a success.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2005, 12:33:00 PM »

I have been in touch with the producers of the show since October of 2003. I found out about the show through a clinician at a choir camp I attended in high school and then found the full length sound files on the website a year or so later. I left a bit of a gushing post on their messageboard about how I loved the music, they got in touch with me and things progressed from there. At one point they wanted me to help keep the website updated, but their ad company nixed that idea. They mentioned an internship many moons ago but at this point I think I am just an avid fan to whom they have been very, very kind. I would still love to help any way I could, but I don't see them being able to use me anywhere. I love the music and what I know of the book. (It seems they are as faithful to the novel as humanly possible.) I am happy just telling everyone about it if that's all I get to do. I know they are appreciative of it, and I really want to see it hit Broadway.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 12:36:47 PM by Joey »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2005, 12:34:08 PM »

Back from errands, and will now sit outside for a little bit, before trying to write some more pithy dialogue.

Have listened to the entire GH cd again, and I'm completely happy with everything - I've made one more switch in the order, flipping the postitions of two songs, and I made on teeny-tiny little deletion from the rideout of Getting Away with You, where I'd tried to do something with a spoken line and a sound effect that kept taking me out of the song (even though it's not part of the song proper, just the last ten seconds of music), so that will be gone and I am done with this CD except for Miss Kerry Butler's vocal, which will simply be put on an already mixed track.  Hoo and ray.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2005, 01:02:01 PM »

What a shame Joi died so young. I had NO idea.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2005, 01:05:12 PM »

Like the new pic, Jose, very much.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2005, 01:08:38 PM »

I watched "The Making of THE THIRD MAN" which I recorded off TCM earlier this week. Good documentary on the making of one of my top three favorite films of all-time. And since this was done but not part of the Criterion Collections's official THE THIRD MAN DVD, I was glad to finally see it.

Certainly, it made me want to watch the movie again.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2005, 01:09:55 PM »

Good Afternoon!

DRJose, you look like you're ready for the Amelia Earhart story! ;D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 01:12:58 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2005, 01:16:00 PM »

Back from the office and now the laundry's in the washers.  Life is too thrilling.  

I just got in the post a surprise package from DRJane along with some more work for the Brent Barrett Broadway Tenors concert.  Lord!  I thought this was all finished.

DRJoey, good news for you about TALE OF TWO CITIES.  You should see if your school will let you do an internship like the one Ted Chapin did when he was a gofer on FOLLIES.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2005, 01:17:32 PM »

Speaking of Follies, I really need to read that book!

MBarnum

« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2005, 01:17:43 PM »

Gosh, I have had quite a nice, productive day today! Now I must hie myself up to the Ville or Wilson to help moive my buddy Mark's boyfriend James into Mark's apartment. James is moving down from Seattle and the caravan is whisking it's way down from Washington at this very moment...I will need to stop at the Woodburn outlet mall and Fry's Electronics prior to doing any physical work...shopping must be accomplished first! LOL!

Perhaps I will take photos of Fat Kitty and Black Kitty at their new abode on the 3rd floor of the Blueberry Apts. or whatever they are called.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2005, 01:22:18 PM »

Gosh, I have had quite a nice, productive day today! Now I must hie myself up to the Ville or Wilson to help moive my buddy Mark's boyfriend James into Mark's apartment. James is moving down from Seattle and the caravan is whisking it's way down from Washington at this very moment...I will need to stop at the Woodburn outlet mall and Fry's Electronics prior to doing any physical work...shopping must be accomplished first! LOL!

Perhaps I will take photos of Fat Kitty and Black Kitty at their new abode on the 3rd floor of the Blueberry Apts. or whatever they are called.

DRMBarnum, there was a big article on Jet Blue and its success in either the NY POST or DAILY NEWS this morning, and I believe they're opening a new terminal although I can't remember if its at JFK, LaGuardia, or Newark.   I thought about you and DRJane; if DRTomovoz comes to the states next year, I'm flying west to visit.  Be afraid.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 01:23:19 PM by elmore3003 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2005, 01:29:21 PM »

Re dying young - I've been watching Trapeze, which features someone I like very much, Miss Katy Jurado.  I'd always thought she died reasonably young and somehow tragically.  Imagine my surprise to find out that she, in fact, died less than three years ago at a ripe old age.

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2005, 01:34:14 PM »

I remember reading about Katy Jurado when she died. It was only a short time ago - a couple of years at most, wasn't it?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2005, 01:57:14 PM »

I am watching A PERFECT MURDER on TBS, a movie I avoided when it came out in 1998.  It is not very good....a sort of remake of DIAL M FOR MURDER, but without ANY star power.  Michael Douglas isn't doing anything new or different (I loved that character in WALL STREET, but here it's the same old thing) and Gwyneth Paltrow is an actress I run from....run run run....and she does nothing here for me either....Viggo Mortenson, hmmmm....well....there you are.  THE BEST THING ABOUT THE MOVIE IS THE ON LOCATION FILMING IN NEW YORK CITY!!!

I will watch it to the end....but it is NOT worth much.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2005, 02:00:53 PM »

I didn't realize that Katy Jurado had been married for a time to Ernest Borgnine!  8)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 02:03:05 PM by JRand54 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2005, 02:05:23 PM »

She died in 2002, in Mexico.  She'd worked right up until the end.  Who knew?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 02:13:55 PM by JRand54 »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2005, 02:13:22 PM »

Good Afternoon!

And the thunder rolls...  and rolls... and rolls...

The storms finally moved in here a few minutes ago.  Quite dramatically, in fact.  The sky went from cloudless and blue to dark and gray in a matter of minutes.  We've already had the initial batch of "big drops", but now it's mostly thunder claps.  Loud thunder claps.  *I'm running on battery power right now just to be safe.

I did make it out of the house earlier to get my breakfast/brunch/lunch...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up