Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: START SPREADIN' THE NEWS  (Read 15046 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:START SPREADIN' THE NEWS
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2005, 10:51:06 AM »

I propose we properly bitchslap every HHW member at the Joe Allen dinner that doesn't bring a camera!   :o

(Improper bitchslapping should be done in a more private setting.   ::) ;D)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2005, 10:53:18 AM »

Took us long enough to get to the
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]PAGE[/size][/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]THREE[/size][/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]DANCE!!![/size][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2005, 11:01:20 AM »

Coffee table books that I (still ::)) have packed away in boxes are:

"The Muppet Show Book" and "The Muppet Movie" book (the links don't seem to be working well, so I'm attaching the pictures at the bottom of my message)

"The Illustrated Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

and:

"As I See It," a book of male nudes by Greg Gorman.  This last one probably isn't true "coffee table book" material, but definitely eye candy. ;) If anyone watches the TV show "Las Vegas" with James Caan and Josh Duhamel, Josh is in this book...in the all-together!! ;D So is Alexis Arquette!  Can we say: :o
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 11:06:22 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2005, 11:01:29 AM »

Coffe Table Books.  What delightful and unique TOD!  

Stacked in a pile on my desk in the office are three volumes of Frank Frazetta art volumes: Testament, Legacy, and Icon.  Two volumes on the artwork of illustrator Joseph Clement Coll: The Art of Adventure and The Magic Pen of Joseph Clement Coll.  A book on The Barrymores called...Well...The Barrymores, and Cities and Scenes from the Ancient World, artwork by illustrator Roy G. Krenkel.

They revolve occasionally with things like reprint volumes of the Sunday Tarzan Comic strip by Hal Foster or Burne Hogarth, a great volume on Korda's Thief of Baghdad film,  The Spectacle of the Empire (British), the Classic Era of the American Pulp Magazine, and a Pictorial History of Sherlock Holmes.

In the TV Room, though they are not displayed as Coffee Table books and are used rather as reference are...The Pictorial History of the American Theatre, The Pictorial History of the Talkies, The Pictorial History of the Silents, The Hollywood Musical as well as all the concise encyclopedias of all the major studios:  The MGM Story, The Paramount Story, The Warners Bros. Story, etc.

Upstairs in the Living-Room are Coffee Table books stacked under the raised sitting hearth of the fireplace...these include more art books, movie books like a big colourful book on David O. Sleznick and some Hurrell photo books,books on the Civil War, pictorial books on architecture and design, photo books of Hollywood, London, Cincinnati, and Kentucky.  Composer/lyric books are by the Baby Grand. Currently on the living-room coffee table is LONDON 360...a spectacular photo book of London.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2005, 11:01:37 AM »

Actually I suspected it was After the Ball as I remembered BK talking about it earlier this year. So just in case I created the After The Ball web page for Bruce Kimmel Tribute site. So here is the link to it.

http://www.brucekimmel.com/AfterTheBall.htm

Michael Shayne, very nice.  Thank you.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2005, 11:03:21 AM »

DRs Jane and MichaelShayne - I'm sure they accept food deliveries at the stage door of the National Theatre in DC.

Well Jose, Artie's does ship but it's much easier to deliver across the street. ;D

Jane

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2005, 11:13:34 AM »

Rodzinsi why do you want Foster Freeze when you can have Carvel’s?

Elmore your promise has made my day. :D

Danise the flashing lights in the previews give me a headache.  If I have a twinge of the beginnings of a headache before going to the movies I take a couple of Tylenol.

Jane

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2005, 11:18:51 AM »

WFO please send Joe feel better wishes.

Jane

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2005, 11:23:18 AM »

Ah yes, I remember when Playgirl first came out, a friend and his partner were in the drug store:

--Look at that.  Do you think your girl friend would like that magazine?

--Oh yeah, I think my girl friend would like it.

--Why don't you buy it for your girl friend?

--Yes, I think I will buy it for my girl friend.  (to clerk)  I would like to buy this magazine for my girl friend.

LOL.  I remember a few female co-workers took the early issues of Playgirl to work.  The guys in the photos didn’t do much for me. ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2005, 11:26:50 AM »

The Pictorial History of the Talkies, The Pictorial History of the Silents,

I have both of those books, and I love them! As a kid I used to go to the library and look at them over and over...finally found copies for myself a few years back.

Hmmmm....I have some other coffee table books, but they are not on my coffee table...they are all in boxes someplace I think...oh, I see in my bookcase that I have BUNNY YEAGER'S PIN-UP GIRLS OF THE 50s, AND LON OF NEW YORK:THE MALE IDEAL.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2005, 11:27:53 AM »

Will do, Nurse Jane!  Right now he is having a Todd Rundgren day, and my ears are shattering.  I hope the neighbors are enjoying it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 11:40:14 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

George

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2005, 11:27:55 AM »

DR MBarnum, I just read an article in VARIETY that dealt with your adored Bollywood.

Seems like the Indian film industry has discovered colorization, and they've embraced it in a BIG way. They are taking black and white classics (can't name them, don't know a thing about Bollywood) and colorizing them and releasing the new versions to theaters where they are doing excellent business.

The film executive explained (which sounded very similar to Ted Turner's comments decades ago) that the young film audience of India would NEVER sit still for a black and white movie nowadays.

The complete first season of "Bewitched" is being released on DVD on June 21, 2005.  It's being released in both a Black and White edition and a Colorized edition.  If you read the "reviews," one person ("L. Rotter") is quite passionate about how wonderful it is to have these colorized.  Here are a couple of excerpts of his/her(?) review:

To see the first 2 years of Bewitched in color is like a dream come true. You'd have to be a complete phoney-baloney to not want to admit to wanting to see the whole series in color.

and:

Only your politically correct snob friends will be admitting to preferring the drab lifeless dated looking b/w pictures over the wonderful colorful present day looking beautiful color picture you can get with these great looking colorized DVDs. Let your snob friends who pretend to prefer b/w over color buy the dull b/w versions, you stand tall and proud as you buy the excellent color version. I proudly proclaim, I LOVE COLORIZED MOVIES AND TV SHOWS over the dull lifeless b/w image. I only wish ALL b/w programs were in beautiful colorized versions. Imagine the wonderful world it would be to see I Love Lucy, Superman, & The Honeymooners all in living color!!! Let's hope the powers that be will make these dreams come true too.

I guess this guy prooves those producers right!  It's so sad, really.  Why would this person give a flying f**k if someone else would prefer to see something the way it was originally created?  And obviously this person has never paid attention to how detailed and beautiful black and white (monochromatic) filmmaking can be.  What a dufus. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2005, 11:29:12 AM »

I mean, I have no problem whatsoever if people want the colorized versions, but that doesn't mean EVERYONE wants the colorized versions.  Just my humble opinion. ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2005, 11:32:05 AM »

LOL.  I remember a few female co-workers took the early issues of Playgirl to work.  The guys in the photos didn’t do much for me. ;D
I remember some of those photos.

::)

:o

8)

;D

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2005, 11:32:27 AM »

Interview with Diane McBain went splendidly! What a classy, beautiful lady! Fun stories about Joan Crawford, Elvis, Claudette Colbert, and the Warner Bros. publicity machine (JRand54, don't believe anything you read in those old movie magazines! LOL!).

Ms. Diane McBain

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2005, 11:32:57 AM »

Lord protect us from a colorized Citizen Kane!  How about a colorized Birth of a Nation?  Why not colorize the Kansas scenes in The Wizard of Oz?
--Wayland Flowers

George

« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2005, 11:33:12 AM »

Well, I must be off.  Have a good day, everyone!

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2005, 11:34:36 AM »

DR Jane,
You must not have seen the issues with Rock Pamplin or Sam J. Jones in them! Woohoo! Those images will be burned into my brain for as long as I live! LOL!

George

« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2005, 11:35:13 AM »

Lord protect us from a colorized Citizen Kane!  How about a colorized Birth of a Nation?  Why not colorize the Kansas scenes in The Wizard of Oz?

Or Film Noir...where the black and white look and dramatic lighting are so important in the movies.

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2005, 11:35:32 AM »

Of course there are the people who insist that THE WIZARD OF OZ was colorized!

George

« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2005, 11:45:56 AM »

Of course there are the people who insist that THE WIZARD OF OZ was colorized!

Quite a few years ago, TNT was broadcasting the colorized version of "It's a Wonderful Life."  My dad (who had the black and white videotape) had an idea:  He taped the colorized TV version up until George made his wish that he had never been born and Clarence made it so.  My dad then taped the black and white version from that point until George wishes that he were alive again and runs his car into the tree.  Then my dad switched back to the colorized version.  A sort of reverse "Wizard of Oz."  Aside from his lack of timing at the points where it switched from black and white to color, it was actually a pretty cool idea and it worked really well!

George

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2005, 11:46:53 AM »

Okay, now I really must leave.  I have places to go, people to see, things to do, food to eat!  I'll be back later. ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2005, 11:58:59 AM »

Okay, now I really must leave.  I have places to go, people to see, things to do, food to eat!  I'll be back later. ;D

Sounds like a day with DRJose!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2005, 12:00:37 PM »

Hmmmmmm.....I suppose if it were technically possible to somehow reproduce the ORIGINAL colors from the negatives, it might be interesting to see the REAL colors.  But colorization has never been a satisfactory substitute for color photography.  And of course none of the b/w television shows or movies were designed in COLOR, so some of the sets and costumes might not be the most complimentary.

DRGEORGE I think you have stumbled on one of the original internet idiots.  The www is full of them, they are titanic in their hubris and ignorance, and it is best just to walk away.....quickly.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2005, 12:03:21 PM »

I know!  Let's colorize the photography of Ansel Adams!  The guy was so cheap, he never bothered to buy color film!

Uh, right.   :P

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2005, 12:05:54 PM »

I've never understood this desire for colourized anything.  Black and white films are simply beautiful.  And the photography is usually so much better.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2005, 12:12:49 PM »

What I don't like about colorized films is that the color is overlaid upon the original greys.  As a result, the colors look muddy.

It's like some of the computer animation we see these days, where the notion of shapes and shading is rendered in greys that are added to the original color, rather than using darker colors that occur naturally.  The result is something that simply looks grimey and unnatural.  (Take a gander at some of the non-Pixar Disney computer animation; I'd have thought those guys would have known better.)

Jane

« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »

MBarnum-LOL.  I have no idea who those guys were.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2005, 12:17:28 PM »

We only have one coffee table book sitting out and it isn’t on the coffee table but next to the fireplace.  It is the Faeries book by Brian Froud my Bryan gave me one year.  One half of the book is Bad Faeries, which I don’t like, and the other side is of the Good Faeries.  That is the side facing up.

Amongst the coffee table books left sitting on the book shelf are; photos of Arizona, The Art of Star Trek, a couple of books on the art of Glen Loates, cats, and The Stars.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2005, 12:23:40 PM »

THE EGO HAS LANDED!!

Current Altitude;            0 feet
Current Groundspeed;   0 mph
--Wayland Flowers
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up