Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: FINE WHINES  (Read 31498 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FINE WHINES
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2003, 08:19:12 PM »

Follies has never been optioned for film as far as I know.  It has been talked about, certainly, but I don't think the rights have ever actually been purchased.

td

• td
« Reply #211 on: November 08, 2003, 08:36:17 PM »

I guess it's my turn to ask, "Where in tarnation is everyone?"  Joy? Tom? Mr. Brockman?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #212 on: November 08, 2003, 08:39:29 PM »

I don't need to whine--or wine for that matter. I just wanted to be a part of this historic Saturday posting.
Congratulations BK and all.Keep the Whining running!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #213 on: November 08, 2003, 08:39:57 PM »

Yesterday's topic I know but last night I watched "Broadway's Lost Treasures". I want more. today I listened to the soundtrack of "Spirited Away" Thank you again François. I am not really a "soundtrack/film score" person but I really enjoy it. At home today we were discussing the wonderful "Baghdad Cafe". "Calling You" is on the new Babs CD. Are there any other fans of the movie out there. It was the only movie I have seen where I liked Jack Palance.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #214 on: November 08, 2003, 08:43:03 PM »

Fine whine is worth waiting for Mr Brockman Snr. Sorry td ,I was having my photo taken by a friendly bear. Yet another attempt to post my photo at HHW. I will still probably prefer Thomas The Tank Engine.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #215 on: November 08, 2003, 09:20:40 PM »

Fine whine is worth waiting for Mr Brockman Snr. Sorry td ,I was having my photo taken by a friendly bear. Yet another attempt to post my photo at HHW. I will still probably prefer Thomas The Tank Engine.

Oh, yes, Tom!  I adore "Baghdad Cafe"!

I first saw it on video about 15 years ago and went out immediately and bought the CD soundtrack.

I've been a CCH Pounder fan since then, too!!!

The song is hauntingly beautiful.  

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #216 on: November 08, 2003, 09:21:37 PM »

Oh!  And many thanks to those bestowing good karma on me!  I greatly appeciate it and will do my best to spread it around, as well!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #217 on: November 08, 2003, 09:26:51 PM »

Dear Bruce:  I read with interest your comments about "sinus expulsions" and "phlegm."

I'm going to recommend something to you:  Zicam for congestion relief.  This totally opens you up.  It's helped me get the sleep I need without mouth breathing for hours at a time.  The only drawback is that you must not use it for an extended period as it will cease to be effective and could have adverse affects if used too often.

Of course, if you're just using tissues in this mass mucous evacuation process, you may not need such help.

I hope you get well really soon.  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 09:29:07 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #218 on: November 08, 2003, 09:27:41 PM »

Anybody know when JRand is supposed to get back from his day with Dame Edna????

I'm guessing he's made a day of it, with performance and dinner, etc.

But I can't wait to hear his report on the show!!!!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #219 on: November 08, 2003, 09:32:29 PM »

Now that post was a hard act to follow! I need encouragement to make it to 250! TCB you have mail.
James Thurber 1957

Emily

« Reply #220 on: November 08, 2003, 09:35:00 PM »

so all of you pronounce the name "Harry" to rhyme with "hairy"?  That's just mean!

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Andrea

« Reply #221 on: November 08, 2003, 09:43:53 PM »

so all of you pronounce the name "Harry" to rhyme with "hairy"?  That's just mean!

I do--- and my mother is forever trying to cure me of it.

Laura II

« Reply #222 on: November 08, 2003, 09:47:20 PM »

Hi everyone!

First things first:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Fantastic vibes to Ben, his brother, and all of the family![/move]

Next:
I enjoyed the article about Mary, merry, and marry. I pronounce them all differently, as does my mom, and we live in VA. I asked my friend to pronounce the words as I spelled them to her when we were on the phone, and they all sounded the same. Ah well, I guess my mom and I are considered weird by most Virginians.  :D I remember when I was in eighth grade, this guy used to tease me and call me Ahn because I apparently pronounced my middle name (Ann) like that. Ah well. My mom's family is from Philly, and I have a slight accent, especially after I get home from a visit with them. I suppose that could affect the Mary/merry/marry stuff, too.

Finally, I saw Bounce last night. It was my friend Mike's first show ever, and he enjoyed it a lot. The only problem he had was that during intermission, he heard quite a few people, one woman in particular, criticizing the show, and he wondered why people couldn't just enjoy the performers and their talents. In a way, I agree. Anyway, I thought the show was pretty good. I'm not too familiar with Sondheim (basically all I know is Into the Woods, along with Gypsy and WSS), so I can't exactly say if the songs sound recycled or not. I did hear snippets of ITW, though.
While the show was entertaining, it does need work. First of all, I think the relationship between the brothers and their mother needs to be fleshed out. It brought visions of Gypsy, but I wanted to understand the reason why it was like that. Basically, I think a better backstory would be nice. Then, Act I felt rushed in some areas as the audience was transported throughout the world. Some of Act I just needs to be rewritten. Certain jokes were overused, which was a bit frustrating. Also, Wilson's character needs work. I didn't sympathize with him at all, and I therefore didn't care what happened to him.
Personally, I really enjoyed Richard Kind, Gavin Creel, Michelle Pawk, and Jane Powell, although she doesn't get to do too much. I saw Howard McGillin's understudy. He has a nice voice, although he needs to project. Overall, it was a pleasant night, and I left humming "You" and "The Best Thing that Ever Happened." I also got to talk to Gavin, which was probably the best moment of the evening.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 09:54:41 PM by Laura II »
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #223 on: November 08, 2003, 10:05:46 PM »

Before I hear off to bed, I just want to say one thing on behalf of all of us who pronounce scary, hairy, and Mary alike.  I don't want to hear any laughter or criticism from any of you who add a consonant to the end of any word that ends in a vowel.

i.e.
soda.................. soder

vodka................ vodker

We all have our own particular vocal habits.  I rest my case.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Emily

« Reply #224 on: November 08, 2003, 10:19:45 PM »

TCB - do people actually say "vodker"?

Cuz I think I would be forced to point and laugh at them.  I'm a pronouncition bully :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: November 08, 2003, 10:26:10 PM »

Look at us - we iz popular with the populace tonight.  I'm now in the coughing stage and I have coughed so much that at times I thought I would die from so much coughing.   :o

Tomovoz

« Reply #226 on: November 08, 2003, 10:35:16 PM »

Honey and lemon in warm water or whisky is all I can recommend. I have no faith in any cough medicines at all. I do hope you are much better for the mighty celebrations of tomorrow. Who I wonder is left from those days of old? Ron and WEL I assume.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #227 on: November 08, 2003, 10:45:23 PM »

Days of old?

Days of OLD?

It's a 2nd anniversary, TFO, not a centenary!

Good grief!  Days of o-l-d!

And besides Mr. WEL, there are many others who have been here longer than I (I started here in March 2002).

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 10:47:36 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #228 on: November 08, 2003, 10:52:48 PM »

At least I said days of old and not old posters Ron!
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #229 on: November 08, 2003, 10:55:33 PM »

I do hope you are much better for the mighty celebrations of tomorrow. Who I wonder is left from those days of old? Ron and WEL I assume.

I've been here just about the whole time, joining in back in November 2001, just about a week or maybe two after the site got going.  And what a grand ride it has been!

Oh, TCB, don't forget those who chose to put an "r" in the name of our state, pronouncing it "Worshington."  Ugh... stands my hair on end just typing it!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #230 on: November 08, 2003, 10:59:06 PM »

I just tried to check the archives but got nowhere. I can't remember when I joined - I know there was a gap between "The Real A".some other place that followed and my eventual tracking down of BK (thank you Mark).
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #231 on: November 08, 2003, 11:03:03 PM »

I have just realised why I feel so close to Washington. My home state is VICTORIA. OK. I am slow but I am reliable. And Of course I am now past that 250 mark.
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #232 on: November 08, 2003, 11:09:00 PM »

DR MDS--Maybe it was done with one intermission, maybe with two.  I can't remember for sure.  But structurally, that bad turn in the play (at least in my opinion it's a bad turn) occurs in "Act III."
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Laura II

« Reply #233 on: November 08, 2003, 11:38:01 PM »

Jed: My dad's parents live in MO. My grandma says "George Warshington," and it drives me nuts!

Laura II

« Reply #234 on: November 08, 2003, 11:39:21 PM »

I can't wait to see what happens when those of you who are senior members hit 500 or 501. I think that's when you'll receive your last star!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2003, 11:40:39 PM by Laura II »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #235 on: November 08, 2003, 11:48:25 PM »

Get ready, get ready, anniversary doings are coming very soon now.

Michael

« Reply #236 on: November 09, 2003, 12:12:50 AM »

Went to bed early but woke up. Technically it is Sunday here and on the west coast. So happy anniversery BK
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #237 on: November 09, 2003, 12:16:20 AM »

Congratulations indeed BK and Technicians and especially to all the sundried ones.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up